Come Work with Us
Topix is an entertainment and news media company that attracts more than 18 million people a month to our growing collection of celebrity, pop culture, and generally offbeat content. Started in 2006 as a platform for news aggregation and hyper-local discussions, since 2014 Topix has achieved great success with the production of viral and shareable content for millennials and beyond.
Interested in joining the Topix team? Please send your resume and cover letter to [email protected] with the position name as the subject line.
We're looking for a creative, self-starting marketing professional to help drive traffic to our fast-growing new verticals focused on pop culture (offbeat.topix.com and stars.topix.com).
- Create ad copy and social media posts for some of the funniest, most addictive content on the web
- Manage a very large volume of Facebook advertising campaigns
- Develop and maintain advertising campaigns with partners like Taboola, Outbrain, etc
- Oversee our social media channels including Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Google+, and Instagram
- At least one years' experience managing paid Facebook advertising campaigns for content, including knowledge of targeting, testing custom audiences as well as lookalike audiences
- A love of statistics - you love digging into data to find out what is working and why
- Knowledge of pop culture and the social web
- Experience writing on entertainment or humor is a plus
- Meticulous editing and self-editing skills
- Must be detail-oriented so that you can produce perfect work at high speed under pressure
- Comfortable multi-tasking in a fast paced, start-up team environment
- Excellent collaboration, problem solving and communication skills; ability to work cross-functionally
- Sense of humor and strong work ethic
Perks of the job:
- Work with experienced, kickass writers, editors, and engineers
- Space to grow professionally in a small company with awesome co-workers
- Access to a fabulously-stocked kitchen and snack room
- Excellent benefits
About the company:
- We publish a social news and entertainment website with around 20 million visitors per month. We're based in Palo Alto, CA and have been going strong for over 10 years.
Come join our fun, creative Topix editorial team! We're looking for a writer to make lists and quizzes for our pop culture verticals, which now receive over one billion pageviews per month:
- good at grammar and spelling
- immersed in millennial idiom, social media, and pop culture trends
Telecommuting is absolutely fine if you live outside of the Bay Area. Our entire writing team is remote and we sync up via Slack and video conferencing.
The position is part-time and freelance to start with, and could lead to a full-time role for the right person.
- 2+ years' experience of writing online for a substantial audience (please send 2+ links to online writing samples in your cover letter)
- Some experience of making slideshows, listicles, or quizzes focused on entertainment, celebrities, internet culture, parenting, or pets
- A way with words, so that your sentences make people laugh or feel emotionally engaged
- Meticulous writing, editing and self-editing skills
- Experience with Photoshop or other image editing software
- A strong visual sense
- Ability to source and edit images quickly and flawlessly
- Must be detail-oriented and fast so that you can produce perfect writing at high speed
- Knowledge of the social web
Perks of the job
- You get to work with kickass writers and editors. Our writers have been published in Gawker, Jezebel, Buzzfeed, Huffington Post, MTV.com, among other places.
- A chance to write for a large audience
- Excellent health and other benefits for full-time employees
- You'll have access to a fabulously-stocked kitchen and snack room (if you work in the office)
- You get to work from home (if you're remote)