War on Christmas Debate - Columbus, NE

Discuss the national War on Christmas debate in Columbus, NE.

Is the "War on Christmas" real?

Columbus says Yes
Yes
 
5
No
 
3

Vote now in Columbus:

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of41
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

“Eleanor, Where is your heart?!”

Since: Nov 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Dec 14, 2011
 
Anyone who would prefer to call 'Christmas' X-mas wars on 'Christmas'. There are those who can appreciate it as a time of love and giving and chiefly focus on the one who Gave the Gift most beautiful and worthy...and who loves like no one on earth can. No one can celebrate love and giving outside of Christ with a joyful spirit.
MORE CONSERVATIVE

Lincoln, NE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
Dec 15, 2011
 
What war on Christmas?

That's all a bunch of made up fear mongering right wing crap. Any historian knows the church moved the observation of Jesus' birth to December 25th to coincide with many other holidays celebrated around that time in an attempt to lure more people to the church. Christmas was never about Jesus in the first place. If there is a war on Christmas, it was started by Christians.
MORE CONSERVATIVE

Lincoln, NE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
Dec 15, 2011
 
I fish wrote:
Anyone who would prefer to call 'Christmas' X-mas wars on 'Christmas'.
Yeah, and I call bullsheet on that too. X has been used to represent the word "cris" or "christ" for centuries. Trying to claim it is a renouncement of Christmas is for lethargic morons.

“Eleanor, Where is your heart?!”

Since: Nov 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Dec 15, 2011
 
MORE CONSERVATIVE wrote:
What war on Christmas?
That's all a bunch of made up fear mongering right wing crap. Any historian knows the church moved the observation of Jesus' birth to December 25th to coincide with many other holidays celebrated around that time in an attempt to lure more people to the church. Christmas was never about Jesus in the first place. If there is a war on Christmas, it was started by Christians.
Do you think the holiday started being celebrated by non-pagens who never needed any holiday to remember Christ...or by Pagens who suddenly found Christ and wanted to change their own holiday to something more meaningful?

I'm so glad you really feel it when you say X-mas, Xtians and Jesus X.
MORE CONSERVATIVE

Lincoln, NE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Dec 18, 2011
 
No, it started years before Christ was even born. This is not an opinion, this is historical fact. The Vatican even acknowledges this. The observance of Jesus birthday was moved to December 25th as a way of recruiting others into the Christian philosophy and religion.

And NO the Pagans didn't "dicover Christ and want something more meaningful". The church needed a way of getting people involved and so it adapted Pagan traditions into the holiday. Not my fault if you don't believe factual history.
MORE CONSERVATIVE

Lincoln, NE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Dec 18, 2011
 
Luke 2:8

Now there were shepherds in that region living in the fields and keeping the night watch over their flock.

What? In winter?
MORE CONSERVATIVE

Lincoln, NE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Dec 19, 2011
 
And for MORE history... The word "CHRIST" and "CHRISTIAN" were actually hijacked as well.

Now think about this for a moment. To be called a word, you need to fit the definition of a word. The word Christ just didn't all of a sudden appear when Jesus was born, it had been used before, otherwise where would you come up with this name... Christ?

The Christian religion, of course follows the teachings of Christ... correct?

But in OTHER religions, like ones OLDER then Christianity.. yes, believe it or not, there were OTHER religions around before Jesus came along, in these OTHER religions, you had diety's who were referred to as "CHRISTS" or "ANOINTED ONE".

Now... since OTHER religions (Pagans, Nordics, etc,) BEFORE Jesus was born were celebrating the Mass of Christ on December 25th the church decided the observance of Jesus' birth would be better suited in order to recruit more followers. By most any Historians account, even the Vatican.. Jesus was more then likely born in September.

Think of why Mary & Joseph were traveling. They were off to the census count in Rome. They would not have made such a trip in the winter with her being pregnant or not. Or do you think they were just on their way to Bethlehem to give birth in the winter?

There is no WAR on Christmas. This is a made up distraction that comes up every year. Nobody ever tries preventing ANYBODY from their Christianity observances of the Holiday, but at the same time, most Christians refuse to acknowledge, maybe because of a lack of information or just plain ignorance, the true history behind Christmas.

“Eleanor, Where is your heart?!”

Since: Nov 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Dec 20, 2011
 
MORE CONSERVATIVE wrote:
No, it started years before Christ was even born. This is not an opinion, this is historical fact. The Vatican even acknowledges this. The observance of Jesus birthday was moved to December 25th as a way of recruiting others into the Christian philosophy and religion.
And NO the Pagans didn't "dicover Christ and want something more meaningful". The church needed a way of getting people involved and so it adapted Pagan traditions into the holiday. Not my fault if you don't believe factual history.
I don't believe Jesus was born on Dec. 25th. I never made that claim. There are lots of scholars who claim otherwise. That's no reason you can't pick a day and celebrate the fact that God Came to earth...so what if it's dec. 25 and you say "Happy Birthday"...because He did in fact exist befor His birthday...so it's impossible to have a beginning if you always were.

You know Pagans were touched by what Christ did for them once. Not all...So how can you make a blanket statement about the beliefs and feelings of every pagan or every Christian?

Please don't take responsibility for any of the history I know. We are separate people.
servantofKingJes us

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Dec 24, 2011
 
A manager at the apogee call center in Columbus posted the words 'hideous holidays' on a board intended for agent updates. That is a direct company approved statement of personal opinion expressing frustration with the 'reason for the season'. This constitutes what we call 'changing of the times and laws' There should be no doubt in anyone's mind that social war is raging and christianity is the target. It is a major mistake to underestimate God's management of the earth. When humans dirty it, He cleans it effortlessly. God is love and God is real. Soften your heart twards God because it is an awful thing to fall into the hands of a King you have personally offended.
servantofKingJes us

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Dec 24, 2011
 
The history of christianity is too complex to discuss on a blog. The question is 'is there a war on christmas?'. The answer is obviously yes because, accurate or not, christmas represents a real historic event. We all know that it is the truth that God himself manifested in the flesh as a man. Trying to replace that with fantasy stories,mocking it with clever perversions,ignoring it by changing the vocabulary, or denying it with historical facts or inaccuracies will not negate the truth because the truth is real and will not go away. Departing from the truth is just manipulation and the truth of salvation is too strong to be denied. If you waste time on denial and manipulation, you will miss the next great move of God. Now what would that be? Read your bible to find out.
servantofKingJes us

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Dec 24, 2011
 
Oh yeah, Merry Christmas everyone, and God Bless You.
MORE CONSERVATIVE

Lincoln, NE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
Dec 25, 2011
 
The bitching about the war on Christmas is a tradition too. Myself I could care less, Christmas always has been and always will be something different for everyone. Seems the bitching goes on and on leading up to Christmas day, but come Christmas day, we all just shut the hell up, eat some ham, and enjoy our family's. Anon secular tradition that needs no religion.

Merry Christmas everyone.

Since: Apr 08

Nottingham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
Dec 26, 2011
 
Christmas means much to millions of people who don't believe in Jesus.

If you think that Christmas without Jesus is not Christmas, then you're out of touch, and if you think altruism without Jesus is not altruism, then you're a dick.

“Eleanor, Where is your heart?!”

Since: Nov 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#14
Dec 27, 2011
 
Khatru wrote:
Christmas means much to millions of people who don't believe in Jesus.
If you think that Christmas without Jesus is not Christmas, then you're out of touch, and if you think altruism without Jesus is not altruism, then you're a dick.
Anyone is free to celebrate Christmas without believing in Jesus as it is a pagan holiday to begin with...and more power to the people who celebrate the fact that Jesus came to earth every day...because joy and celebration in any other thing (while it happens) is virtually worthless. So Talk to your children about santa or old Man winter...or whatever...and they'll grow up to have the same kind of joy you have. But what's wrong with something that's real?

Since: Apr 08

Nottingham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
Dec 27, 2011
 
I fish wrote:
<quoted text>
Anyone is free to celebrate Christmas without believing in Jesus as it is a pagan holiday to begin with...and more power to the people who celebrate the fact that Jesus came to earth every day...because joy and celebration in any other thing (while it happens) is virtually worthless. So Talk to your children about santa or old Man winter...or whatever...and they'll grow up to have the same kind of joy you have. But what's wrong with something that's real?
I agree in that the season is what people wish to make of it and how people choose to spend it is their business - as long as their festivities don't include breaking the law.

As for the reality of Jesus. Well, that's another matter and while I think it's safe to say that he probably existed; I can say the same of Buddha, Mohammed, Vishnu, etc, all of whom, probably existed.
MORE CONSERVATIVE

Lincoln, NE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#16
Dec 28, 2011
 
Jeremiah 10:2-5

Thus saith the Lord, Learn not the way of the heathen, and be not dismayed at the signs of heaven; for the heathen are dismayed at them. For the customs of the people are worthless: for one cutteth a tree out of the forest, the work of the hands of the workman, with the axe. The deck it with silver and with gold; the fasten it with nails and with hammers, that it move not. They are upright as the palm tree, but speak not: they must needs be borne, because they cannot go. Be not afraid of them; for they cannot do evil, neither also is it in them to do good.

In other words, don't go decorating Christmas trees.. God doesn't like that.

“Eleanor, Where is your heart?!”

Since: Nov 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#17
Dec 28, 2011
 
MORE CONSERVATIVE wrote:
Jeremiah 10:2-5
Thus saith the Lord, Learn not the way of the heathen, and be not dismayed at the signs of heaven; for the heathen are dismayed at them. For the customs of the people are worthless: for one cutteth a tree out of the forest, the work of the hands of the workman, with the axe. The deck it with silver and with gold; the fasten it with nails and with hammers, that it move not. They are upright as the palm tree, but speak not: they must needs be borne, because they cannot go. Be not afraid of them; for they cannot do evil, neither also is it in them to do good.
In other words, don't go decorating Christmas trees.. God doesn't like that.
I think you might have missed some of what you quoted. Doesn't that sound like worshiping a tree? Using a tree to decorate and worshipping a tree are separate activities, but can easily be confused. If anyone thinks they are likely to fall prey to the pagan idea of the 'holiday'...than it is better to not celebrate it and observe the Good news in every season. Some people are capable of doing the Christmas tree and all yet honoring God above all....knowing it is not that real to give honor to a tree...switching the focus to the birth of Christ...HIs manifestation as a human, when a new star appeared in the sky and angels sang. That is everything you already know I'm sure. Why would you make christians feel bad for having a tree? Don't you have somehting good to do?
MORE CONSERVATIVE

Lincoln, NE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#18
Dec 28, 2011
 
God doesn't approve of Christmas trees, it's in the bible. Case closed.
MORE CONSERVATIVE

Lincoln, NE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#19
Dec 28, 2011
 
In fact, when America was first founded, Christmas was outlawed because it was seen as an insult to God.

Since: Apr 08

Nottingham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#20
Dec 28, 2011
 
MORE CONSERVATIVE wrote:
God doesn't approve of Christmas trees, it's in the bible. Case closed.
Neither does he approve of the eating of pork and ahellfish so I hope you avoid your hog roasts,bacon sandwiches, butterfly king prawns, etc, at all costs.

I also hope that all your clothes are made from one particular fabric because the supreme being of the universe also hates it when his creations wear clothes of mixed fabrics.

Best not to talk about what the god of the Bible thinks about the disabled or guys with damaged testicles.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of41
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Columbus Discussions

Search the Columbus Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Art notes Apr 3 gary 1
Who do you support for U.S. House in Nebraska (... (Oct '10) Feb '14 Deena Province 102
james schmoll (Sep '13) Feb '14 gettin IT 3
Back on our streets. (Jul '07) Jan '14 Sydney decapiano 63
NE Who do you support for Governor in Nebraska in ... (Oct '10) Jan '14 Orville 1,094
We're #2 !!!!!!!!!!!! Jan '14 T Pfeifer 1
Charge filed in Merrick Co fatality accident Jan '14 DC Resident 3

Columbus Jobs

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]