Obama-Economy Debate - Ashland, KY

Discuss the national Obama-Economy debate in Ashland, KY.

Has Obama made the economy better or worse?

Ashland says Obama's hurt the economy
Worse
 
14
Better
 
12
Neither
 
2

Vote now in Ashland:

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
deranged hobo

Lexington, KY

#21 Feb 10, 2012
Majority rule is fine except when it infringes upon guaranteed rights. Even then, if your majority is large enough, you can amend the Constitution. Its not a liberal/conservative thing, its how the system is intended to work. Look no further than the Citizens United decision to see conservative judges in action.

Making a rule requiring something of an industry is not running it. There are rules about what car insurers must cover in Kentucky that are different than other states, is that government run? Of course not. If you honestly and truly think that requiring contraceptive coverage makes insurance "government run", then there's no point in discussing it any further, because you're either an ideologue that is simply opposed to anything proposed by a Democrat or Obama, or your grasp of logic and the English language isn't sufficient for you to form a coherent argument, because there is absolutely no way to twist the definition of "government run" to mean "a regulation requiring one thing that the government neither pays, administers, or receives payments for".
Big Foot

Ventura, CA

#22 Feb 10, 2012
Taxed enough already wrote:
For eight years I heard President Bush get blamed for practically everything. Why is Obama different? It is his policies that are not working, it is his overbearing regulations on business that is stunting job growth. It is his partisan politics that has Washington in gridlock. It is his socialistic desires that have the general population worried, compiled with his dictator like demeanor. The more of Obamacare that gets revealed makes it perfectly clear that his intent was and still is the government takeover of the health care industry. European socialism needs to stay in Europe, this is not Europe. Most normal Americans do not want it. I agree with you that Mitch has been there too long and needs to be replaced. So does Harry Reid, Nancy Pelosi, Barney Frank, Chris Dodd etc.... a vote for a Democrat or a Progressive Republican is a vote against freedom and liberty.
Barney Frank retired and married his boyfriend.
Taxed enough already

Ashland, KY

#23 Feb 11, 2012
It is not a constitutional right to have birth control or abortions. The issue is not abortion or contracepti e use but the payment there of. Nothing is free. We all k ow the saying "crap runs down hill". Someone will have to pay for what the federal government mandates, we all k.ow who that will be. Questioning someones intelligence is detrimental to having constructive conversation. That is something liberal people have done for years..
Wasteful Republican

Ashland, KY

#24 Feb 11, 2012
Taxed enough already wrote:
I like the way you assume I am a republican. Yes there is so much drama in the above post that I don't know where to start. Legislating religion? LMFAO. Bridges to nowhere? Like the one that stood in the democratic boyd county for years to till they swindled enough money to build a school on the other side. You want to complain about repubs using Medicare to buy votes when the dems have been doing the same for a hundred years. Aimless and endless wars? Korean war, Truman the democrat was president. Vietnam: Kennedy and Johnson were democrats. Nixon ended it: republican. Ww1 Wilson was a democrat, ww2 Roosevelt was a democrat. Does your history only go back 10 years?
I understand that vanity can be quite the beast, but I never considered you to be a Republican. As your handle suggests, you're a TEA Partier and it's not your fault that the opportunistic GOP has climbed on the TEA Party. Although, you seemed ever ready to lambast the Democrats when you assumed that I was railing on the GOP; with respect to that railing, if the shoe fits...

I also notice that in other posts you mention your distatste for those who undermine conversation with personal attacks. In my previous post, I did only go back about ten years and, despite my vagueness, you knew exactly about what I was talking.

Both parties are ridiculous and need the other to survive. What they count on is for people like you to perpetuate this divide by eagerly taking sides, believing the worst, and, perhaps most damning, forfeiting your ability to discern information and think for yourself.

Finally, toa ddress the issues you've raised with my issues raised. One might consider religion legislated when abortion (a right to choose which has been established for decades now) faces an onslaught of opposition based on the suggestion of an absence of morality surrounding the decision to have one or maintain its legality. Opinions are something to which the people are entitled, but don't deny that at the heart of the issue for opponents is religion; the taxpayer funding is also an issue but is certainly secondary.

The bridge to nowhere and the wars speak for themselves. BTW, how do you feel about Mitch McConnell securing millions for Ashland's riverfront while he bemoans the president's spending? What good comes from the riverfront? It may host some events in the future, but we had venues to use prior to its construction? Don't tell me it promotes economic development, because Mitch would tell us both that the government need only offer tax breaks and less regulation in order to ensure business' success.
Taxed enough already

Ashland, KY

#25 Feb 11, 2012
The riverfront, payroll tax and the city of Ashland are all sore spots for me personally. I agree Mitch is a piece of crap that needs replaced asap. Yes I am quick to lambaste democrats because they make it so dam easy. When most ( and I emphasize the word most) democrats never seem to want to cut taxes, services or government control and but just the opposite is asinine. Most repubs are not much better and if you have read any of my posts in the past you would see this. Locally, the dog park, community center, riverfront park are all waste of our money. As for most other issues like abortion, the federal government needs to but out and let the states decide for themselves.
Server

Ashland, KY

#26 Feb 11, 2012
Taxed enough already wrote:
Did you remember that Obama and his party had control of all three branches for his first two years and presently the repubs only have a majority in the house? Honestly he had two free years to pass anything and still they could, but if they do they would have to take the blame. That is why is there is gridlock caused by Obama and the dams. There are not enough repubs to stop them.
First of all why don't you tell us where your information comes from because if you say Bill O'Reilly, Rush Limbaugh or anything on Fox and Friends (Friends meaning Rupublicans) your a tool. Before you reply know that I believe Rachel Maddow, Michael Moore are no better same goes for MSNBC they just like Fox should not be allowed to call what they report as news because they only distort the facts (which I believe is lying) to futher there own careers. Second, I think you forgot about GM and the thirteen million units sold last year, and that you can thank to President Obama, without the bail out thousands of GM and Chrysler employees would be unemployed. One last thing explain the health care law to us all so that we might understand it, since you seem to know more than everyone else (or so you think so).
ellis

Broken Arrow, OK

#27 Feb 11, 2012
No jobs that aren't paid for by my paycheck. We need a transparent government, he promised the most transparent, and he has the least transparent presidency in modern history. Disrespect for the anyone who doesn't agree with him.
Taxed enough already

Ashland, KY

#28 Feb 11, 2012
First, I do not have the time to list all of my sources of information, they come from not only television but radio and internet plus common sense. I do try look at both sides of an issue before popping off and some times I get passionate about my beliefs. Yet they are informed beliefs.
GM and Chrysler should not have been bailed out by the government, period. Neither should the airlines and railroad in the past. The free market can work with very little oversight from Washington. This country's most prosperous times was when the federal government stayed out of consumerism. I really cannot pinpoint the time when Washington became consumer advocates since it crept in slowly over time.
If GM and Chrysler would have folded, someone would have stepped in to filled the void, it has happened numerous times in the past without government intervention.
No one knows all of Obamacare since it was passed without our congressmen even reading it. What information that does get out just solidifies how horrendous it is. The last fiasco about the contraceptives, making insurance companies provide for free regardles of their beliefs is just not right. Nothing is free, some one has to pay. Increase premiums is the only way a private ins. company could pay for it which is how the government plans to bankrupt them or make premiums so high that eventually everyone will be on single payer system( otherwise socialized government healthcare).
I am for freedom and liberty so I tend to scrutinize the politicians. Actions speak louder than words so if their policies look, smell and feel like socialist policies, giving government more power and control of all of our lives then I will speak my mind.
Anything else???
Grover Cleveland

Ashland, KY

#29 Feb 12, 2012
Taxed enough already wrote:
First, I do not have the time to list all of my sources of information, they come from not only television but radio and internet plus common sense. I do try look at both sides of an issue before popping off and some times I get passionate about my beliefs. Yet they are informed beliefs.
GM and Chrysler should not have been bailed out by the government, period. Neither should the airlines and railroad in the past. The free market can work with very little oversight from Washington. This country's most prosperous times was when the federal government stayed out of consumerism. I really cannot pinpoint the time when Washington became consumer advocates since it crept in slowly over time.
If GM and Chrysler would have folded, someone would have stepped in to filled the void, it has happened numerous times in the past without government intervention.
No one knows all of Obamacare since it was passed without our congressmen even reading it. What information that does get out just solidifies how horrendous it is. The last fiasco about the contraceptives, making insurance companies provide for free regardles of their beliefs is just not right. Nothing is free, some one has to pay. Increase premiums is the only way a private ins. company could pay for it which is how the government plans to bankrupt them or make premiums so high that eventually everyone will be on single payer system( otherwise socialized government healthcare).
I am for freedom and liberty so I tend to scrutinize the politicians. Actions speak louder than words so if their policies look, smell and feel like socialist policies, giving government more power and control of all of our lives then I will speak my mind.
Anything else???
You just regurgitate what Palin and Limbaugh and other lying loudmouths spew! You try to sound smart and informed but you are really just a gullible listener.
Taxed enough already

Ashland, KY

#30 Feb 12, 2012
Grover Cleveland wrote:
<quoted text>
You just regurgitate what Palin and Limbaugh and other lying loudmouths spew! You try to sound smart and informed but you are really just a gullible listener.
yeah yeah, whatever. Another liberal tactic.
thinker 1

Ashland, KY

#31 Mar 15, 2012
after fighting off repubs he is starting to make headway
thinker 1

Ashland, KY

#32 Mar 15, 2012
Taxed enough already wrote:
It is his watch, his record, his failed policies. If government would get out pf the way this country would flourish.
well government actually deregulated alot for the housing market and look what good it does to turn the wolves loose
Taxed enough already

Ashland, KY

#33 Mar 16, 2012
thinker 1 wrote:
<quoted text>
well government actually deregulated alot for the housing market and look what good it does to turn the wolves loose
maybe you should factor in government controlled fannie mae and freddy
mac before you jump to the conclusion that deregulation caused it.

Since: Apr 10

Ironton, OH

#35 Apr 12, 2012
Lose your good job and youll understand my vote.
old timer

Chesterfield, MO

#36 Apr 16, 2012
I keep getting poorer
Jim Powers

Ashland, KY

#37 May 2, 2012
The local area has announced business openings and expansions, this means jobs that did not exist before. That is economy improvement. It is confidence by business owners in the economy.
Taxed enough already

New York, NY

#38 May 2, 2012
Jim Powers wrote:
The local area has announced business openings and expansions, this means jobs that did not exist before. That is economy improvement. It is confidence by business owners in the economy.
you have waited three and a half years for this little glimmer ? Wow

Since: Jul 12

Broken Arrow, OK

#39 Jul 7, 2012
Obama has wasted more money than we can recover. Its like pouring water down a rat hole. Dumb decisions with our tax dollar.
Anonymous

Kennewick, WA

#40 Sep 5, 2012
Not sure how anyone in thier right mind could think we are better off since Obama took over. Standard of living is going down and unemployment is going up.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ashland Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Where's Rocky West? 8 min Rockys friend 6
Does anyone know Rocky West? 14 min Curious 7
kelley fitzpatrick 24 min sure thing 3
Mitch McConnell 59 min Huh 8
Marshall Smith sent here to shut Ak down 1 hr AK new 10
big blue nation 3 hr UK FAN 40 1
That guy at hager 3 hr mypoint 23
Marathon employees 4 hr POS Paul 877
Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]