Marijuana Debate - Winnfield, LA

Discuss the national Marijuana debate in Winnfield, LA.

Do you support the legalization of Marijuana?

Winnfield supports
Support
 
64
Oppose
 
22

Vote now in Winnfield:

First Prev
of 9
Next Last
HaHa

Shreveport, LA

#1 Aug 24, 2010
heck yea!!
lyeena

United States

#2 Aug 24, 2010
legalize it and tax it
HaHa

Shreveport, LA

#3 Aug 24, 2010
lyeena wrote:
legalize it and tax it
AMEN TA THAT!!!
Anonymous

United States

#4 Aug 24, 2010
no it should not be
these nuts

Haughton, LA

#5 Aug 24, 2010
you got kids runin around town buyin incense 2 smoke gettn them sick almost dying payin over 20$ a gram from a gas sttion...when have u ever heard of weed makin people sick?
LEGALIZE

Alexandria, LA

#6 Aug 25, 2010
LEGALIZE IT!!! Have you ever heard of a high person wrecking and killing people. Nah, not like alcohol!!!
Oh Really

Pineville, LA

#7 Aug 25, 2010
LEGALIZE wrote:
LEGALIZE IT!!! Have you ever heard of a high person wrecking and killing people. Nah, not like alcohol!!!
I am sorry but you are ABSOLUTELY INSANE!
i know things

Natchitoches, LA

#8 Aug 25, 2010
LEGALIZE wrote:
LEGALIZE IT!!! Have you ever heard of a high person wrecking and killing people. Nah, not like alcohol!!!
you must be a dope smoking idiot
LEGALIZE

Pollock, LA

#9 Aug 25, 2010
How am I insane? Compare the two, alcohol makes the drinker feel "10 ft tall and bulletproof", they feel invincible. There used to be an on going joke among my friends, the day after a partying/drinking night you notice a bruise or two that weren't there before and you don't remember how you got them. Those bruises my friend are UDI's (Unidentified Drunken Injuries). How many stories have you heard of a drunk getting into a car accident and the only person that survived was the drunk person. Why? Because the drunken person is so relaxed from their drunkeness that the wreck doesn't affect them as it does the other people in the wreck who aren't drunk, because they are not drunk they tense up and brace for impact and this tensing up causes rips and tears of muscles, organs and various other things. Alcohol is legal yet causes more casualties than war! No to mention Domestic Violence!!!!
Now take Marijuana, when you are high you are so paranoid that if you can even bring yourself to get behind the wheel of a vehicle you will be so cautious because you know that you are high. Also, you would rather sit at home watching tv and eating munchies than go break into a store, beat up someone, rob someone, or anything like what happens when people get drunk and stupid.
Now, everyone is entitled to their opinions, that marijuana is a gateway drug..blah blah, but guess what YOU control what you will and won't do. I smoked marijuana for 11 years before quitting cold turkey, not withdrawls or anything just quit because it's too dang expensive. I have two Bachelor's Degrees one in Accounting and one in Business. So go ahead and tell me that stoner's are stupid and never amount to anything. I don't think I would have made it through college if it weren't for chilling out with some weed. All these poor stressed out people you hear about going on killing sprees in the work offices and schools, if they could have just chilled out and smoked a little weed they would have realized that things aren't every really that bad or that serious.
Chill out people things aren't that serious, that's why people have heart attacks and strokes at 40.
I'm not insane, I probably just think a little too much for the average Joe.
The Reporter

Russellville, AR

#10 Aug 25, 2010
It would calm the World
Anonymous

United States

#11 Aug 25, 2010
LEGALIZE wrote:
LEGALIZE IT!!! Have you ever heard of a high person wrecking and killing people. Nah, not like alcohol!!!
its all not gud n yes people do wreck r run over people it slowes there brain down
Anti Prohibitionist

United States

#12 Aug 25, 2010
LEGALIZE

Pineville, LA

#13 Aug 25, 2010
hate2facefolks wrote:
<quoted text>its all not gud n yes people do wreck r run over people it slowes there brain down
Well, if you are an example of a brain that is not slowed down, I would rather my brain be slowed down, cause you can't spell for sh*t. And for your information, it supposedly slows down your 'reaction' time. But I have been smoking for 11 year and never had a wreck because when I get behind that wheel I am EXTREMELY aware of the fact that I AM high. So I know that I have to concentrate even more because I am high.
Atheist

Russellville, AR

#14 Aug 25, 2010
Oh Really wrote:
<quoted text>
I am sorry but you are ABSOLUTELY INSANE!
Well, let's do a comparison, shall we?

Alcohol - legal.

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/liverdis.htm

Prevalence
Percent of adults who drank alcohol in the past year: 61 (2004)
Percent of current drinkers who had five or more drinks on at least one day in the past year: 32 (2004)
Source:Health, United States, 2006, Table 68
Mortality
Number of alcohol-induced deaths, excluding accidents and homicides: 21,081
Number of alcoholic liver disease deaths: 12,548
Source:Deaths: Final Data for 2004, Tables 10, 23

Tobacco - legal

http://www.cdc.gov/cancer/lung/statistics/

Statistics
More people die from lung cancer than any other type of cancer. This is true for both men and women. In 2004 (the most recent year for which statistics are currently available), lung cancer accounted for more deaths than breast cancer, prostate cancer, and colon cancer combined.† In that year,
108,355 men and 87,897 women were diagnosed with lung cancer*†
89,575 men and 68,431 women died from lung cancer*†

Ok, so let's look at marijuana now.

http://www.drugwarfacts.org/causes.htm

An exhaustive search of the literature finds no credible reports of deaths induced by marijuana. The US Drug Abuse Warning Network (DAWN) records instances of drug mentions in medical examiners' reports, and though marijuana is mentioned, it is usually in combination with alcohol or other drugs. Marijuana alone has not been shown to cause an overdose death.
Source: Drug Abuse Warning Network (DAWN), available on the web at http://www.samhsa.gov/ ; also see Janet E. Joy, Stanley J. Watson, Jr., and John A. Benson, Jr., "Marijuana and Medicine: Assessing the Science Base," Division of Neuroscience and Behavioral Research, Institute of Medicine (Washington, DC: National Academy Press, 1999), available on the web at http://www.nap.edu/html/marimed/ ; and US Department of Justice, Drug Enforcement Administration, "In the Matter of Marijuana Rescheduling Petition" (Docket #86-22), September 6, 1988, p. 57.

http://www.whitehousedrugpolicy.gov/drugfact/...
Atheist

Russellville, AR

#15 Aug 25, 2010
The DEA's Administrative Law Judge, Francis Young concluded: "In strict medical terms marijuana is far safer than many foods we commonly consume. For example, eating 10 raw potatoes can result in a toxic response. By comparison, it is physically impossible to eat enough marijuana to induce death. Marijuana in its natural form is one of the safest therapeutically active substances known to man. By any measure of rational analysis marijuana can be safely used within the supervised routine of medical care.:
Source: US Department of Justice, Drug Enforcement Agency, "In the Matter of Marijuana Rescheduling Petition," [Docket #86-22],(September 6, 198 , p. 57.

^^ Did you catch that? It said DEA.

Yes, it's illegal. But stop to think about *why* it's illegal. It's not because it's harmful -- it doesn't kill anyone, it doesn't pose nearly the same amount of health problems that alcohol and tobacco do... but it does fill a lot of prisons up with non violent, otherwise law abiding citizens...
Atheist

Russellville, AR

#16 Aug 25, 2010
The average sentence for a marijuana charge is 42 months, no parole. The average sentence for sexual assault is 35 months. The average sentence for robbery is 44 months. The average sentence for all violent crime is 42 months.

People sitting at home smoking pot get longer sentences than people who commit sexual assault. They get the same length sentences, on average, as those committing violent crime. We're talking about simple possession, people whose only crime was having marijuana on their person.

Makes my stomach turn just thinking about that...and for the record...no I do not smoke anything of any kind....Just a person who knows how to research before I let my fingers loose.
dahling

AOL

#18 Aug 25, 2010
Atheist wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, let's do a comparison, shall we?
Alcohol - legal.
http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/liverdis.htm
Prevalence
Percent of adults who drank alcohol in the past year: 61 (2004)
Percent of current drinkers who had five or more drinks on at least one day in the past year: 32 (2004)
Source:Health, United States, 2006, Table 68
Mortality
Number of alcohol-induced deaths, excluding accidents and homicides: 21,081
Number of alcoholic liver disease deaths: 12,548
Source:Deaths: Final Data for 2004, Tables 10, 23
Tobacco - legal
http://www.cdc.gov/cancer/lung/statistics/
Statistics
More people die from lung cancer than any other type of cancer. This is true for both men and women. In 2004 (the most recent year for which statistics are currently available), lung cancer accounted for more deaths than breast cancer, prostate cancer, and colon cancer combined.† In that year,
108,355 men and 87,897 women were diagnosed with lung cancer*†
89,575 men and 68,431 women died from lung cancer*†
Ok, so let's look at marijuana now.
http://www.drugwarfacts.org/causes.htm
An exhaustive search of the literature finds no credible reports of deaths induced by marijuana. The US Drug Abuse Warning Network (DAWN) records instances of drug mentions in medical examiners' reports, and though marijuana is mentioned, it is usually in combination with alcohol or other drugs. Marijuana alone has not been shown to cause an overdose death.
Source: Drug Abuse Warning Network (DAWN), available on the web at http://www.samhsa.gov/ ; also see Janet E. Joy, Stanley J. Watson, Jr., and John A. Benson, Jr., "Marijuana and Medicine: Assessing the Science Base," Division of Neuroscience and Behavioral Research, Institute of Medicine (Washington, DC: National Academy Press, 1999), available on the web at http://www.nap.edu/html/marimed/ ; and US Department of Justice, Drug Enforcement Administration, "In the Matter of Marijuana Rescheduling Petition" (Docket #86-22), September 6, 1988, p. 57.
http://www.whitehousedrugpolicy.gov/drugfact/...
There is no excuse for you to use alcohol and drive or use drugs and drive. You may think you are being super careful, but your perception is altered by pot. If you must indulge, do it at home and stay there. Don’t drive. You say you don’t smoke, but most do. As it stands, those who do smoke have no idea what they are smoking or eating. Was it sprayed with herbicides? Was it fertilized with manure? Is it even sanitary? What is the strength of the pot you are using? The only way you can be sure right now is to grow it yourself. No, the laws are not fair to the casual user. Children should not be using it either. But your treatise is flawed. You freely cite the government studies that support your position, but ignore all the evidence to the contrary. Try the following website http:// drugabuse .gov/ infofacts/ marijuana. html to get a different picture than the one you present.
littleoldlay MISSISS

AOL

#19 Aug 25, 2010
i dont think it should be done
Atheist

Russellville, AR

#20 Aug 25, 2010
Dahling,
I didn't just put information about driving while under the influence, I added other things as well, and none of them fell under weed being a reason. The thing about not knowing what they are smoking,that is true, and it is sad that we no longer know exactly what we are consuming on a daily basis. I'm not saying it should be given out to people just as they please, but for the ones that need it, it should be available...and it is sad that it can't be. Anyone who forms an argument, they are going to look at things that favor the persuasion....common English classes teach you that. I have looked at both sides, and my opinion is as it is now, just because I did not put the opposing argument, doesn't mean I didn't research it either.
anyone anywhere

Russellville, AR

#21 Aug 27, 2010
a mother of three grown children youngest 20 two grandbabies and married 28 years to a great man we have smoked for more than that ...some can some can't and they will miss it up for the rest of us.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 9
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Winnfield Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
bumper 2 hr check mate 3
CCA is Terminated 3 hr LottaBS 30
shooting in sikes 4 hr Dumbme 8
CCA Winn is Hiring (Jun '13) 6 hr Williams 75
dog missing reward 9 hr more thieves 1
Calvin Coach At It Again 9 hr Kaci 20
Whats up with that megan vines /olmos girl? Thu spreadem 22
Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]