Marijuana Debate - Salt Lake City, UT

Discuss the national Marijuana debate in Salt Lake City, UT.

Do you support the legalization of Marijuana?

Salt Lake City supports
Support
 
156
Oppose
 
17

Vote now in Salt Lake City:

Since: Nov 08

Corbin Ky.

#478 Aug 13, 2012
Mary Jane wrote:
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." - Thomas Jefferson.
The battle to end Marijuana Prohibition is but one part of the War to win back the U.S. Constitution
The original argument for marijuana prohibition "Reefer makes darkies think they’re as good as white men.”— Harry J. Anslinger.
Prohibitionists fall into one of two categories: 1.) Under-informed citizens & 2.) Profiteers of the Drug War.
"There comes a time when a moral man can't obey a law which his conscience tells him is unjust." - Martin Luther King, Jr.
"It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they've been fooled." ~ Mark Twain
Very good post, thanks for the quotes. I have never obeyed the law against marijuana and I'm glad I didn't. Cancer runs in my family and I only have a sister left and she is dealing with it right now. I have never been diagnosed with it, my father died from prostate cancer 25 years ago. My whole family was against using marijuana and they constantly made fun of me for using it, my sister still does.

I guess my family fits your #1 remark but they didn't have modern research results to go by, just propaganda. This is what makes it hard for me to understand all the people who still use a 70 year old argument and refuse to educate themselves about something that could very well save their lives someday. On top of that, if they had their way they would deny me any right to do so. You are right about our constitution being in jeopardy, everyone wants to be a dictator.
ThomasA

Birmingham, AL

#479 Aug 13, 2012
wowed wrote:
<quoted text>
Very good post, thanks for the quotes. I have never obeyed the law against marijuana and I'm glad I didn't. Cancer runs in my family and I only have a sister left and she is dealing with it right now. I have never been diagnosed with it, my father died from prostate cancer 25 years ago. My whole family was against using marijuana and they constantly made fun of me for using it, my sister still does.
I guess my family fits your #1 remark but they didn't have modern research results to go by, just propaganda. This is what makes it hard for me to understand all the people who still use a 70 year old argument and refuse to educate themselves about something that could very well save their lives someday. On top of that, if they had their way they would deny me any right to do so. You are right about our constitution being in jeopardy, everyone wants to be a dictator.
There are people who could use MJ for pain and side effects of chemo and radiation as in your family, but those stoners who demand anytime/anytime legalization are causing the medical use efforts to pushed back to the back burner.
Mary Jane

Salt Lake City, UT

#480 Aug 23, 2012
It really does matter that pot is available for medical use. Dispensaries in CA test in labs to ensure purity. It helps so many people, and the great thing is that it can be grown at home, no synthetic crap from big pharma with big price tags.

It really doesn't matter that recreational use is not made legal. Legal or not, it is readily available, anyone can get it just about anywhere, people are not going to stop using it for recreation, and cartels will continue to grow fat and wealthy. Yes, keep it illegal, that way the banksters can continue to launder the cartel money and make big money for themselves.

Since: Nov 08

Corbin Ky.

#481 Aug 23, 2012
Mary Jane wrote:
It really does matter that pot is available for medical use. Dispensaries in CA test in labs to ensure purity. It helps so many people, and the great thing is that it can be grown at home, no synthetic crap from big pharma with big price tags.
It really doesn't matter that recreational use is not made legal. Legal or not, it is readily available, anyone can get it just about anywhere, people are not going to stop using it for recreation, and cartels will continue to grow fat and wealthy. Yes, keep it illegal, that way the banksters can continue to launder the cartel money and make big money for themselves.
I agree with everything you said and it does upset me that it is illegal even for medical use in Kentucky. To me it is against my rights as an inhabitant of this planet to deny me the use of God given herbs for medicinal use. My area is often referred to as the "marijuana belt" so it is available everywhere here but it makes me a criminal if I posess it. People are getting rich because its illegal and they will fight the legalization till their last breath just like big pharma will. We are facing an alcohol vote in about 5 days and with the effort that the local churches have put forth, it will likely fail because this is also the "Bible Belt". Saw one church carrying signs that read, "how would Jesus vote", they even had little children carrying signs and thats pretty sad.
my rights

West Jordan, UT

#482 Sep 10, 2012
it should be a personal choice and i dont think the gov has a right to own or control a plant.
ThomasA

Birmingham, AL

#483 Sep 15, 2012
my rights wrote:
it should be a personal choice and i dont think the gov has a right to own or control a plant.
Spoken from a real stoner! Just keep in mind the fact that you have a personal choice to use MJ,but companies have the right to stay a drug free work zone and have the right to fire your butt if you show up stoned OR get caught in a random pee test. What you do on your time is your business but what you have in your system on their time and on their premises is strictly up to them. YOU know the rules,YOU break the rules,YOU pay the price,YOU create your own problem of having a drug related dismissal on YOUR work history when looking for another job so YOU Live with it!

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#484 Sep 15, 2012
ThomasA wrote:
<quoted text>Spoken from a real stoner! Just keep in mind the fact that you have a personal choice to use MJ,but companies have the right to stay a drug free work zone and have the right to fire your butt if you show up stoned OR get caught in a random pee test. What you do on your time is your business but what you have in your system on their time and on their premises is strictly up to them. YOU know the rules,YOU break the rules,YOU pay the price,YOU create your own problem of having a drug related dismissal on YOUR work history when looking for another job so YOU Live with it!
spoken like a true prohibitionist and uneducated fear monger that LOVES to see people suffer and fail....
Wet Sausage

Euless, TX

#485 Sep 16, 2012
Yes, I support the legalization of marijuana because that will piss off ThomasA.

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

#486 Sep 18, 2012
"Brotha" Your logic makes no sense at all and your points have been proven otherwise on several occasions with multiple studies. I hate to break it to all you people that have gone your whole life without trying or even understanding what drugs/weed/alcohol all do to you, but your blatant ignorance on the topic causes serious problems for people that make different choices than you, that have NOTHING to do with you. That is a form of oppression and discrimination!

First off ANYTHING is bad and harmful and addictive if not taken in moderation.

Second, if everyone that has tried weed became a pothead or went on to harder drugs then about 75% of the population would be either on hard drugs or a pot head. I know tons of people and not everyone who tries pot likes it, and people usually do not choose to do hard drugs while high (or hurt people, or rape,kill, etc) if anything you make those decisions while drunk.(and you're really f*cked in the head to begin with.)

But mostly you have problems to begin with and things like these just make you even stupider and NOT EVERYONE should be doing this stuff whether it's legal or not. Most people are idiots.

Third the "WAR" on drugs has failed miserably and we need a new approach. We are feeding billions into a system designed to enslave our own civilians and trap them into a financially impossible life style to live legally and happily. THAT is why America has imprisoned more of our people than any other country and why the majority of people released from the system end up right back.

OUR MAIN PROBLEM is the weak are making our world a huge police state with the idea that the police will keep you safe.

They offer delayed response, a paid-out judicial system, and lack of ability to provide a safe environment since at anytime ANYTHING can happen.

All the Laws in the world won't keep people from getting or doing the things they want.
sandra

Schererville, IN

#487 Oct 12, 2012
If people smoke it then pay taxes!!....
Aliana Young

Sandy, UT

#488 Oct 17, 2012
all day erryday
Mary Jane in Salt Lake

Salt Lake City, UT

#489 Nov 13, 2012
Yes, more people are for liberty to do what they want on their own time as long as it infringes NOT on others life and well being. Everything in this world can be done to excess and infringe on others, it takes a mature adult to not go over board. And we all know people go over board with alcohol, but is a small percent that do. Most people really are responsible with alcohol and cannabis. Should the majority of responsible people have their liberties taken away so the minority can be controlled? I don't feel safer that cannabis is illegal either here in Utah or by the feds. I do see millions hurt and their liberty curtailed because of it.

If I get fired from a job because I inhaled cannabis on the weekend, guess what? I will find another job. Living life in fear is not an option. I would rather be out of work than to live on my knees in fear and not have liberty to do what I do in a responsible manner.

“To live and help live! \|/”

Since: Feb 12

Location hidden

#491 Nov 17, 2012
Medicinal Cannabis
The End of Prohibition
Millions of people are suffering because of corporate greed, and a propagandist agenda to lead consumers to believe that Cannabis is a dangerous drug, which causes problems with memory, learning and social behavior. We are told that cannabis interferes with family, school, work and other activities. A 2001 National Research Council study sponsored by the U.S. government found “little apparent • relationship between the severity of sanctions prescribed for Marijuana use and prevalence or frequency of use, and ... perceived legal risk explains very little in the variance of individual drug use.” The primary evidence cited came from comparisons between states that have and have not decriminalized marijuana.(National Research Council, 2001)
Contrary to propagandist conditioning, Marijuana is nontoxic and cannot cause death by overdose. Marijuana is far less dangerous than alcohol or tobacco. More than 50,000 people die each year from alcohol poisoning, and more than 400,000 deaths each year are attributed to tobacco smoking. According to the European medical journal, The Lancet,“The smoking of cannabis, even long term, is not harmful to health.…It would be reasonable to judge cannabis as less of a threat than alcohol or tobacco.” According to government surveys, 25 million Americans have smoked marijuana in the past year, and more than 14 million do so regularly despite harsh laws against its use.
The enforcement of marijuana prohibition costs taxpayers an estimated $10 billion dollars a year and results in the arrest of more than 853,000 persons per year, far more than the total number of arrests for all violent crimes combined, including murder, rape, robbery and aggravated assault.(NORML, 2011) Of all the negative consequences of the prohibition against marijuana, none is as tragic as denying its use to the tens of thousands of persons who could benefit from its medicinal use.
In spite of medical research, which endorses the benefits of medicinal cannabis, the prohibition continues as the anti-cannabis organizations fill their coffers with the ignorance of consumer’s quarters.
Organizations that have endorsed medical access to marijuana include the American Public Health • Association, AIDS Action Council, Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, American Academy of HIV Medicine, American Nurses Association, Lymphoma Foundation of America, National Association of People With AIDS, the state medical associations of New York, California, and Rhode Island, and many others. A few of the many editorial boards that have endorsed medical access to marijuana include: Boston Globe, Chicago Tribune, Miami Herald, New York Times, Orange County Register, USA Today, Baltimore’s Sun, and The Los Angeles Times.(Marijuana Policy Project, 2008).
Modern research suggests that cannabis is a valuable aid in the treatment of a wide range of clinical applications such as:
Pain relief, particularly of neuropathic pain (pain from nerve damage)
Nausea
Spasticity
Glaucoma
Movement disorders
Appetite stimulant, specifically for patients suffering from HIV
AIDS wasting syndrome/dementia.
There is emerging research suggesting that marijuana’s medicinal properties may protect the body against some types of malignant tumors and are neuroprotective.(NORML, 2011)

References
Marijuana Policy Project.(2008, September). Marijuana Prohibition Facts. Retrieved from Marijuana Policy Project: http://www.mpp.org/assets/pdfs/download-mater...
National Research Council.(2001). Informing America’s Policy on Illegal Drugs: What We Don’t Know Keeps Hurting Us. National Research Council, 192-193.
NORML.(2011). NORML, Working to reform marijuana laws. Retrieved from NORML: http://norml.org/marijuana/medical/item/intro...

“To live and help live! \|/”

Since: Feb 12

Location hidden

#492 Nov 17, 2012
Medicinal Cannabis
The End of Prohibition
Jerome V. Trafny
Millions of people are suffering because of corporate greed, and a propagandist agenda to lead consumers to believe that Cannabis is a dangerous drug, which causes problems with memory, learning and social behavior. We are told that cannabis interferes with family, school, work and other activities. A 2001 National Research Council study sponsored by the U.S. government found “little apparent • relationship between the severity of sanctions prescribed for Marijuana use and prevalence or frequency of use, and ... perceived legal risk explains very little in the variance of individual drug use.” The primary evidence cited came from comparisons between states that have and have not decriminalized marijuana.(National Research Council, 2001)
Contrary to propagandist conditioning, Marijuana is nontoxic and cannot cause death by overdose. Marijuana is far less dangerous than alcohol or tobacco. More than 50,000 people die each year from alcohol poisoning, and more than 400,000 deaths each year are attributed to tobacco smoking. According to the European medical journal, The Lancet,“The smoking of cannabis, even long term, is not harmful to health.…It would be reasonable to judge cannabis as less of a threat than alcohol or tobacco.” According to government surveys, 25 million Americans have smoked marijuana in the past year, and more than 14 million do so regularly despite harsh laws against its use.
Of all the negative consequences of the prohibition against marijuana, none is as tragic as denying its use to the tens of thousands of persons who could benefit from its medicinal use.
In spite of medical research, which endorses the benefits of medicinal cannabis, the prohibition continues as the anti-cannabis organizations fill their coffers with the ignorance of consumer’s quarters.
Organizations that have endorsed medical access to marijuana include the American Public Health • Association, AIDS Action Council, Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, American Academy of HIV Medicine, American Nurses Association, Lymphoma Foundation of America, National Association of People With AIDS, the state medical associations of New York, California, and Rhode Island, and many others. A few of the many editorial boards that have endorsed medical access to marijuana include: Boston Globe, Chicago Tribune, Miami Herald, New York Times, Orange County Register, USA Today, Baltimore’s Sun, and The Los Angeles Times.(Marijuana Policy Project, 2008).
Modern research suggests that cannabis is a valuable aid in the treatment of a wide range of clinical applications such as:
Pain relief, particularly of neuropathic pain (pain from nerve damage)
Nausea
Spasticity
Glaucoma
Movement disorders
Appetite stimulant, specifically for patients suffering from HIV
AIDS wasting syndrome/dementia.
There is emerging research suggesting that marijuana’s medicinal properties may protect the body against some types of malignant tumors and are neuroprotective.(NORML, 2011)
As a person who suffers from Chronic Open Angle Glaucoma in end stage, I have a special interest in anything that may help to prevent my progressive blindness. Sure, there are other medications I have therapeutically used for a number of years, and each of them has it’s own serious side effects causing other serious health risks. The legal use of medicinal cannabis could eliminate those other health risks, and has proven to be a medicine that is helping thousands of other glaucoma patients, who can legally use the medicine in states that have adopted to decriminalize cannabis and permit its use for medicinal purposes.
Marijuana prohibition causes more problems than it solves, and ruins thousands of more lives than it is supposedly trying to save. We as a Nation should stand up for Marijuana decriminalization and make it available for medicinal use, or even personal use, in every State of America, along side of tobacco and alcohol.
soapmann

Pittsburgh, PA

#493 Nov 17, 2012
youtube.com/watch... … FM smoke up then,,pipe choice is essential
Mary Jane

Salt Lake City, UT

#494 Nov 21, 2012
Amen Rev! There are a lot of people like ThomasA that are so concerned about people losing their jobs...people that have never tried pot are losing their jobs. That is the world today. If you get fired because they find THC in your urine, so be it. There are other jobs. Life is not about a job. There are always other jobs. Why he isn't more concerned about people losing their jobs over evil men in the banking institutions that probably do cocaine as a drug of choice, now that drug is addictive and dangerous. Worry about the corrupt banking system and politicians and less about if someone loses a job because of pot.
Mary Jane

Salt Lake City, UT

#495 Nov 21, 2012
ThomasA wrote:
<quoted text>Spoken from a real stoner! Just keep in mind the fact that you have a personal choice to use MJ,but companies have the right to stay a drug free work zone and have the right to fire your butt if you show up stoned OR get caught in a random pee test. What you do on your time is your business but what you have in your system on their time and on their premises is strictly up to them. YOU know the rules,YOU break the rules,YOU pay the price,YOU create your own problem of having a drug related dismissal on YOUR work history when looking for another job so YOU Live with it!
No work place is drug free, you dork! Everyone around you is on some synthetic prescription drugs that is making them addicted, non productive and accidents waiting to happen. Weed is made by the creator, prescription drugs are man made, addictive and feeds the big pharma machine that has corrupted doctors and medical institutions the world over. Pot is a natural flowering plant. Read the bible, Genesis talks about what God gave to people, every seed of the earth is ours to use responsibility. I rather live a full happy life than to live in fear inside a little box made by people that decide what my life should be like.
ThomasA

Birmingham, AL

#497 Nov 23, 2012
Mary Jane wrote:
Amen Rev! There are a lot of people like ThomasA that are so concerned about people losing their jobs...people that have never tried pot are losing their jobs. That is the world today. If you get fired because they find THC in your urine, so be it. There are other jobs. Life is not about a job. There are always other jobs. Why he isn't more concerned about people losing their jobs over evil men in the banking institutions that probably do cocaine as a drug of choice, now that drug is addictive and dangerous. Worry about the corrupt banking system and politicians and less about if someone loses a job because of pot.
Corporate decisions are something you or I can't control or prevent but getting fired for testing positive is something that is preventable." Jobs" can be found but good positions are hard to come by especially if you have a drug related dismissal on your work history. As you grow older,you don't want to be on the lower rungs of the ladder and still riding around in the rusty old VW bus,wearing sandals,tie dyes,long hair and a do-rag.
Mary Jane

Salt Lake City, UT

#498 Dec 5, 2012
ThomasA,
There are a lot worse things than being fired for a drug related dismissal. He who lives in so much fear as you concerning being let go from a job for testing positive for cannabis does not and has not lived. Cannabis has enhanced my life for over 30 years, and I would not change it. Living life being true to ones beliefs is more important than losing a job. My loyalty is to personal liberty, not some company.

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#499 Dec 6, 2012
Mary Jane wrote:
ThomasA,
There are a lot worse things than being fired for a drug related dismissal. He who lives in so much fear as you concerning being let go from a job for testing positive for cannabis does not and has not lived. Cannabis has enhanced my life for over 30 years, and I would not change it. Living life being true to ones beliefs is more important than losing a job. My loyalty is to personal liberty, not some company.
fear mongering is his only defense.....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Salt Lake City Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
LDS Apostle visited Tonga (Feb '14) 3 hr piratefighting 27,145
a lds misionary who had sex with a married woman (Jul '11) Mon Cowboy12 29
why mormon missionaries have sex with married w... (Jun '12) Mon Cowboy12 12
Comcast Speed Increases Reach Portland, Seattle... Mon Large-Scale Outages 1
tea cup yorkie puppies for free adoption.... (Sep '12) Mon Chishold1 34
Utah man, 77, charged for sunbathing nude Dec 22 -Lea- 11
(Mrs.) Marie Osmond Dec 20 Call me JC - really 2
Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]