Marijuana Debate - Morganton, NC

Discuss the national Marijuana debate in Morganton, NC.

Do you support the legalization of Marijuana?

Morganton supports
Support
 
60
Oppose
 
6

Vote now in Morganton:

Comments
41 - 60 of 123 Comments Last updated -
PublicDefender

Morganton, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#42
May 2, 2011
 
What are the dangers for young people?
One major concern about marijuana is its possible effects on young people as they grow up. Research shows that the earlier people start using drugs, the more likely they are to go on to experiment with other drugs. In addition, when young people start using marijuana regularly, they often lose interest and are not motivated to do their schoolwork. The effects of marijuana can interfere with learning by impairing thinking, reading comprehension, and verbal and mathematical skills. Research shows that students do not remember what they have learned when they are "high".

How does marijuana affect driving ability?
Driving experiments show that marijuana affects a wide range of skills needed for safe driving -- thinking and reflexes are slowed, making it hard for drivers to respond to sudden, unexpected events. Also, a driver's ability to "track" (stay in lane) through curves, to brake quickly, and to maintain speed and the proper distance between cars is affected. Research shows that these skills are impaired for at least 4-6 hours after smoking a single marijuana cigarette, long after the "high" is gone. If a person drinks alcohol, along with using marijuana, the risk of an accident greatly increases. Marijuana presents a definite danger on the road.

Does marijuana affect the human reproductive system?
Some research studies suggest that the use of marijuana during pregnancy may result in premature babies and in low birth weights. Studies of men and women may have a temporary loss of fertility. These findings suggest that marijuana may be especially harmful during adolescence, a period of rapid physical and sexual development.
PublicDefender

Morganton, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#43
May 2, 2011
 
How does marijuana affect the heart?
Marijuana use increases the heart rate as much as 50 percent, depending on the amount of THC. It can cause chest pain in people who have a poor blood supply to the heart - and it produces these effects more rapidly than tobacco smoke does.

How does marijuana affect the lungs?
Scientists believe that marijuana can be especially harmful to the lungs because users often inhale the unfiltered smoke deeply and hold it in their lungs as long as possible. Therefore, the smoke is in contact with lung tissues for long periods of time, which irritates the lungs and damages the way they work. Marijuana smoke contains some of the same ingredients in tobacco smoke that can cause emphysema and cancer. In addition, many marijuana users also smoke cigarettes; the combined effects of smoking these two substances creates an increased health risk.

Can marijuana cause cancer?
Marijuana smoke has been found to contain more cancer-causing agents than is found in tobacco smoke. Examination of human lung tissue that had been exposed to marijuana smoke over a long period of time in a laboratory showed cellular changes called metaplasia that are considered precancerous. In laboratory test, the tars from marijuana smoke have produced tumors when applied to animal skin. These studies suggest that it is likely that marijuana may cause cancer if used for a number of years.
PublicDefender

Morganton, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#44
May 2, 2011
 
How are people usually introduced to marijuana?
Many young people are introduced to marijuana by their peers - usually acquaintances, friends, sisters, and brothers. People often try drugs such as marijuana because they feel pressured by peers to be part of the group. Children must be taught how to say no to peer pressure to try drugs. Parents can get involved by becoming informed about marijuana and by talking to their children about drug use.

What is marijuana "burnout"?
"Burnout" is a term first used by marijuana smokers themselves to describe the effect of prolonged use. Young people who smoke marijuana heavily over long periods of time can become dull, slow moving, and inattentive. These "burned-out" users are sometimes so unaware of their surroundings that they do not respond when friends speak to them, and they do not realize they have a problem.

How long do chemicals from marijuana stay in the body after the drug is smoked?
When marijuana is smoked, THC, its active ingredient, is absorbed by most tissues and organs in the body; however, it is primarily found in fat tissues. The body, in its attempt to rid itself of the foreign chemical, chemically transforms the THC into metabolites. Urine tests can detect THC metabolites for up to a week after people have smoked marijuana. Tests involving radioactively labeled THC have traced these metabolites in animals for up to a month.

Source: National Institute on Drug Abuse
PublicDefender

Morganton, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#45
May 2, 2011
 
ScienceDaily (Jan. 27, 2008)— A new study finds that the development of bullous lung disease occurs in marijuana smokers approximately 20 years earlier than tobacco smokers.

----------

See Also:
Health & Medicine
•Lung Cancer
•Lung Disease
•Smoking
•Cystic Fibrosis
•Diseases and Conditions
•Mesothelioma
Reference
•Emphysema
•Bronchitis
•COPD
•Lung cancer
A condition often caused by exposure to toxic chemicals or long-term exposure to tobacco smoke, bullous lung disease (also known as bullae) is a condition where air trapped in the lungs causes obstruction to breathing and eventual destruction of the lungs.

At present, about 10% of young adults and 1% of the adult population smoke marijuana regularly. Researchers find that the mean age of marijuana-smoking patients with lung problems was 41, as opposed to the average age of 65 years for tobacco-smoking patients.

The study "Bullous Lung Disease due to Marijuana" also finds that the bullous lung disease can easily go undetected as patients suffering from the disease may show normal chest X-rays and lung functions. High-resolution CT scans revealed severe asymmetrical, variably sized bullae in the patients studied. However, chest X-rays and lung functions were normal in half of them.

Lead author Dr. Matthew Naughton says, "What is outstanding about this study is the relatively young ages of the lung disease patients, as well as the lack of abnormality on chest X-rays and lung functions in nearly half of the patients we tested."

He added, "Marijuana is inhaled as extremely hot fumes to the peak inspiration and held for as long as possible before slow exhalation. This predisposes to greater damage to the lungs and makes marijuana smokers are more prone to bullous disease as compared to cigarette smokers."

Patients who smoke marijuana inhale more and hold their breath four times longer than cigarette smokers. It is the breathing manoeuvres of marijuana smokers that serve to increase the concentration and pulmonary deposition of inhaled particulate matter – resulting in greater and more rapid lung destruction.

This paper is published in the January 2008 issue of Respirology.
PublicDefender

Morganton, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#46
May 2, 2011
 
A research of 450 persons found that populace who smoke marijuana habitually but do not smoke tobacco have more health troubles and miss more days of work than nonsmokers. A lot of the extra ill individuals among the marijuana smokers in the study were for respiratory diseases.

Even occasional abuse can be a reason of burning and stinging of the mouth and throat, frequently gone with by an intense cough. A person who smokes marijuana habitually may have numerous of identical respiratory troubles that tobacco smokers do, for example daily cough and phlegm making, more repeated sharp chest illness, an increased danger of lung infections, and a larger propensity to obstructed airways. Smoking marijuana possibly enlarges the chance of developing cancer of the head or neck. A research contrasting 173 cancer patients and 176 healthy human beings generated confirmation that marijuana smoking doubled or tripled the danger of these cancers.

Its really the fact that marijuana abuse in addition has the potential to support cancer of the lungs and other parts of the respiratory tract for the reason that it holds irritants and carcinogens. Actually, marijuana smoke includes 50 to 70 percent more carcinogenic hydrocarbons than does tobacco smoke. It as well makes high levels of an enzyme that changes definite hydrocarbons into their carcinogenic form—levels that may speed up the transforms that eventually create malignant cells. Marijuana addicts more often than not breathe in more deeply and hold their breath longer than tobacco smokers do, which enlarges the lungs' contact to carcinogenic smoke. These details recommend that, puff for puff, smoking marijuana may be more damaging to the lungs than smoking tobacco.

http://www.marijuana-q.com/marijuana-effects-...

Since: Apr 11

Morganton, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#47
May 2, 2011
 
PublicDefender wrote:
We can do this all day because there are plenty more studies that support my stance than yours.....I know, I know...mean old cop....just wants to take my weed away. Nah I just want you to be a contributing person in society...not some person I have to deal with all the freakin time!!!!!
actually, i've never been in trouble with the law. i've never been fired from a job. i have a 3.8 GPA. never had a car accident. i've been smoking for nearly 13 years. i actually AM a contributing person in society. many of us are. you are in the prime position to meet all of the ones who aren't, so i can understand why your perception of potheads is a bit biased.

we are not all the same. just like some people drink beer socially on the weekends, and some people are alcoholics. this has more to do with the person's ambition and personality than it does to do with their habits.

did you notice that many of the points in these studies begin with "marijuana MAY...." or "in SOME cases...." "often..." ?

the actual PHYSICAL side affects come from inhaling and holding smoke in one's lungs (cancer, high blood pressure, increased heart rate, etc.) there are ways around this, e.g. vaporizers and brownies. cigarettes are much more harmful to the body, and contain ADDED chemicals such as lead, formaldehyde, arsenic, etc., yet remain extremely common and legal.

the mental side affects, again, are part of the reason that people smoke weed. like i said before, i don't think it's necessarily a good idea to drive if you're plastered on ANYTHING. the ones that do and make fools of themselves or put people's lives in danger give the rest of us a bad name.
PublicDefender

Morganton, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#48
May 3, 2011
 
I have said it before on here and I will repeat it...If I have one goal while posting on here it is as follows: Not to blatantly condemn, denegrate nor belittle, it is to provide for good debate, right or wrong, but intelligently. Sometimes when I feel that most are missing the total argument I will sometimes stir the pot, so to speak, just to get people feathers ruffled. If you are not passionate about who you are and what you believe in, it proves very hard to hold your own in a conversation. I will admit that I do not see the benefit that will come by smoking "pot" and I will enforce the laws, right or wrong in peoples eyes, to the utmost of my abilities. Like you said above, I do mostly deal with those that are public with their stupidity, but they also sell to those that take it home to smoke. I will not distinguish between and will charge each as the law reccomends. I welcome all arguments, debate and opinions to my comments, but ignorance I do not respond to. That is what this forum is for, to state your opinion in an articulable fashion. The problem lies in, every idiot seems to have a computer and an opinion, giving those with actual beliefs the bad name.
Pinko

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#49
May 3, 2011
 
Mouthy little beeeatch, ain't ya?

Since: Apr 11

Morganton, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#50
May 3, 2011
 
PublicDefender wrote:
I have said it before on here and I will repeat it...If I have one goal while posting on here it is as follows: Not to blatantly condemn, denegrate nor belittle, it is to provide for good debate, right or wrong, but intelligently. Sometimes when I feel that most are missing the total argument I will sometimes stir the pot, so to speak, just to get people feathers ruffled. If you are not passionate about who you are and what you believe in, it proves very hard to hold your own in a conversation. I will admit that I do not see the benefit that will come by smoking "pot" and I will enforce the laws, right or wrong in peoples eyes, to the utmost of my abilities. Like you said above, I do mostly deal with those that are public with their stupidity, but they also sell to those that take it home to smoke. I will not distinguish between and will charge each as the law reccomends. I welcome all arguments, debate and opinions to my comments, but ignorance I do not respond to. That is what this forum is for, to state your opinion in an articulable fashion. The problem lies in, every idiot seems to have a computer and an opinion, giving those with actual beliefs the bad name.
i understand that you don't see the benefit of smoking pot. and i understand that it is your job to enforce the law indiscriminately. but what we're all pushing for is the decriminalization of marijuana, so that it will no longer be your job to arrest those who sell, possess and smoke it. driving under the influence is separate, and will most likely remain against the law if marijuana is legalized.

so, my question to you: if marijuana is legalized, will you personally still be against it?
PublicDefender

Morganton, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#51
May 3, 2011
 
The answer to your question is......YES!!! For the simple reason that it creates another sect of society that has the ability to choose to hide away from real life and drift away into some stupor. Life is Life...if it is that bad, do something about it, change it, don't hide from it, kinda pathetic!!!!
Anonymous

Lincolnton, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#52
May 5, 2011
 
Public, you're a douchebag. I'm not part of any sect, nor do I hide. I'm a contributing member of society. Cannot recall the last time I was ever in a stupor. Nor am I hiding from anything. I'm proud to be a thirty-two year toker, who's never been busted. You keep at it though, I will too!
You are a Joke

Pittsboro, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#53
May 5, 2011
 
PublicDefender wrote:
We can do this all day because there are plenty more studies that support my stance than yours.....I know, I know...mean old cop....just wants to take my weed away. Nah I just want you to be a contributing person in society...not some person I have to deal with all the freakin time!!!!!
Ive smoked all my life . Im 36 , i bet im in better shape than you memtally and physically . You cant even punctuate and use correct grammer . " ....... " after every sentence , my 7 year old duaghter writes better than that . Get a life, get a clue and get an education pig .

Since: Apr 11

Morganton, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#54
May 6, 2011
 
public defender, do you ever indulge in a beer?

you cannot say that potheads hide from life. alcoholics hide from life. heroin addicts hide from life. pot smokers enjoy life more.

the fact that you think this way proves that you have no idea what marijuana really does for people.
PublicDefender

Morganton, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#55
May 6, 2011
 
So let me get this straight?....There are grammar rules on Topix? I am sooooo misinformed, must have missed reading those rules wow..it's grammar, not grammer...by the way, but I won't go there with you, kinda pointless. As for the physical shape, Bring it!! anytime, anywhere, haven't lost a runner in a chase yet in my career and as far as the mentally, I will put my Masters Degree up against your GED anyday also!!!!
You are a Joke wrote:
<quoted text>
Ive smoked all my life . Im 36 , i bet im in better shape than you memtally and physically . You cant even punctuate and use correct grammer . " ....... " after every sentence , my 7 year old duaghter writes better than that . Get a life, get a clue and get an education pig .
PublicDefender

Morganton, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#56
May 6, 2011
 
Don't hide? Proud of being a pot smoker? Tell me your name, that's not hiding. Ohhh wait a minute, I forgot pot is illegal. The only reason you are angry with me is because of that unwritten societal rule that says we should all hate cops. Trust me, lived with it for a long time now. You are nothing new...douchebag? Can't come up with a better one than that, i get that with each arrest of a pot smoker, are you guys stuck in the 70's or something? Contributing member of society? Having a job contributes only to you not society, remember that. No one but you should find pride in that. I am not proud of you for being a pot smoker who maintains a job, you are not that rare, trust me.
Hates_Toy_Cops wrote:
Public, you're a douchebag. I'm not part of any sect, nor do I hide. I'm a contributing member of society. Cannot recall the last time I was ever in a stupor. Nor am I hiding from anything. I'm proud to be a thirty-two year toker, who's never been busted. You keep at it though, I will too!
Wait a minute

Pittsboro, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#57
May 7, 2011
 
Seriously , This country has to much " Government " telling us all what to do now . Pot has never hurt anyone . Ive been a smoker my whole life and im moveing to California soon for this very reason . I urge everyone who wants to live a life of smoking legally and enjoying life , to just move somewhere where it is at least medically legal . Ive got a very good friend in Southern California . There is 30x more bad things going on in the world and im tired of BIG BROTHER always telling the american public what right and whats wrong . Why havent all these docters been thrown in Jail ? most of them are bigger drug dealers than anyone dealing Prescription " UnNatural " Highly Addictive chemicals for every ache and pain all for profit . I live a very clean life style , Im vegan , a runner and a good family man . So what if i wana smoke a joint , Mind your own business .
why

Pittsboro, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#58
May 8, 2011
 
So just because something is illegal , its wrong ? You have let Government make all your decisions and control your thoughts ? you sir are alot of whats wrong with this country . And also a big reason why most people dislike cops is your reasoning " its illegal " . Your not looking at the big picture and not respecting other people piont of view your just going by whats legal or illegal . There are more and more states in america loosing their " PotLaws" . I hope in the future you open your mind up a little bit sir .
shiney12

Charlotte, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#59
May 8, 2011
 
There are many reasons to decriminalize marijuana not the least of which are all the medical reasons. I have seen the benefits tu terminal cancer patients first hand.
PublicDefender

Morganton, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#60
May 8, 2011
 
Tell ya what, you guys talk to your congress persons and then, when they change the law, We will stop arresting you. Fair enough? Can you do that? That's what it will take, the only way!!! For your argument to have any merit, you would have to posit this against, lets say, murder? Some people deserve to die, making it understandable, right? BUT IT'S STILL ILLEGAL!!!!!
why wrote:
So just because something is illegal , its wrong ? You have let Government make all your decisions and control your thoughts ? you sir are alot of whats wrong with this country . And also a big reason why most people dislike cops is your reasoning " its illegal " . Your not looking at the big picture and not respecting other people piont of view your just going by whats legal or illegal . There are more and more states in america loosing their " PotLaws" . I hope in the future you open your mind up a little bit sir .
why

Pittsboro, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#61
May 10, 2011
 
PublicDefender wrote:
Tell ya what, you guys talk to your congress persons and then, when they change the law, We will stop arresting you. Fair enough? Can you do that? That's what it will take, the only way!!! For your argument to have any merit, you would have to posit this against, lets say, murder? Some people deserve to die, making it understandable, right? BUT IT'S STILL ILLEGAL!!!!!
<quoted text>
I understand your argument on this part BUT , Many , Many laws are Bullsht and you and everyone knows it . The pot laws are a joke . To buy pot something that is totally natural you have to go to the crack dealers house . Now , Not speaking Legally but Speak common sense for a sec public . Its nonsense and just stupid to have to go to the " Bad part of town " to get Pot eh ? Speak not legally , Speak common sense here . I personally hate fat people that eat there life away on fast food and smell like bacon but who am I to tell people they shouldn't eat fast food and be pigs. No more than the government tell anyone what they can and cant do with their own bodies .Pot never hurt anyone . Please don't start with the " gateway drug " stuff . I've never ever did any hard drugs never wanted to , I seen what it does to people . To categorise pot as a drug might as well categorise fast food as a drug . get it ?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

5 Users are viewing the Morganton Forum right now

Search the Morganton Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Who do you support for U.S. Senate in North Car... (Oct '10) 11 min Victoria 55,783
blonde on wilson street 1 hr lol 2
Why Live trashy 5 hr CDCeltown 7
Flamboyant, eccentric Willard Blevins dies 16 hr My loving man 38
Foothills Internal Medicine (Guarino) 17 hr Nana-A 20
Town of Hudson- Alcohol Vote 18 hr Rube Walker 16
Lenoir Police Department Wed KEEPIN IR REAL 12

Morganton Jobs

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]