Marijuana Debate - Fairhope, AL

Discuss the national Marijuana debate in Fairhope, AL.

Do you support the legalization of Marijuana?

Fairhope supports
Support
 
9
Oppose
 
6

Vote now in Fairhope:

jessica

Fairhope, AL

#1 Aug 24, 2010
i love it its a nice relaxer it is a natural herb. you don't ever see fatal wreckers from people under the influence of marijuana unlike people that get behind the wheel while intoxicated.
FastFred

Foley, AL

#2 Aug 25, 2010
We don't need more impaired driver's on the road,and we don't need to make a generation that has already lost it's way worse by putting something in their body that would impair them more.
FastFred

Foley, AL

#3 Aug 25, 2010
The short-term effects of marijuana include:
•Distorted perception (sights, sounds, time, touch)

•Problems with memory and learning

•Loss of coordination

•Trouble with thinking and problem-solving

•Increased heart rate, reduced blood pressure

Sometimes marijuana use can also produce anxiety, fear, distrust, or panic.
FastFred

Foley, AL

#4 Aug 25, 2010
Effects on the Brain
The active ingredient in marijuana, delta-9 tetrahydrocannabinol or THC, acts on cannabinoid receptors on nerve cells and influences the activity of those cells. Some brain areas have many cannabinoid receptors, but other areas of the brain have few or none at all. Many cannabinoid receptors are found in the parts of the brain that influence pleasure, memory, thought, concentration, sensory and time perception, and coordinated movement.
When high doses of marijuana are used, usually when eaten in food rather than smoked, users can experience the following symptoms:

•Hallucinations

•Delusions

•Impaired memory
FastFred

Foley, AL

#5 Aug 25, 2010
Effects on the Heart
Within a few minutes after smoking marijuana, the heart begins beating more rapidly and the blood pressure drops. Marijuana can cause the heart beat to increase by 20 to 50 beats per minute, and can increase even more if other drugs are used at the same time.
Because of the lower blood pressure and higher heart rate, researchers found that users' risk for a heart attack is four times higher within the first hour after smoking marijuana, compared to their general risk of heart attack when not smoking.
FastFred

Foley, AL

#6 Aug 25, 2010
Smoking marijuana, even infrequently, can cause burning and stinging of the mouth and throat, and cause heavy coughing. Scientists have found that regular marijuana smokers can experience the same respiratory problems as tobacco smokers do, including:

•Daily cough and phlegm production
•More frequent acute chest illnesses
•Increased risk of lung infections
•Obstructed airways
Most marijuana smokers consume a lot less cannabis than cigarette smokers consume tobacco, however the harmful effects of smoking marijuana should not be ignored. Marijuana contains more carcinogenic hydrocarbons than tobacco smoke and because marijuana smokers typically inhale deeper and hold the smoke in their lungs longer than tobacco smokers, their lungs are exposed to those carcinogenic properties longer, when smoking.
FastFred

Foley, AL

#7 Aug 25, 2010
Other Health Effects
Research indicates that THC impairs the body's immune system from fighting disease, which can cause a wide variety of health problems. One study found that marijuana actually inhibited the disease-preventing actions of key immune cells. Another study found that THC increased the risk of developing bacterial infections and tumors.
FastFred

Foley, AL

#8 Aug 25, 2010
jessica wrote:
i love it its a nice relaxer it is a natural herb. you don't ever see fatal wreckers from people under the influence of marijuana unlike people that get behind the wheel while intoxicated.
You are wrong,with this statement you made.
UgglyOldMan

Cantonment, FL

#9 Jun 12, 2011
Give Me A Break

Foley, AL

#10 Jun 12, 2011
We have enough Pot Heads as it is now. If it is legalized and anyone can buy it at the drug store, we will have even more zombies stumbling around the streets.
Nickey

Foley, AL

#11 Jun 16, 2011
I like weed
Give Me A Break

Foley, AL

#12 Jun 16, 2011
Nickey wrote:
I like weed
I used to partake myself so I speak from experience. I always made sure that I would not have to drive until the affects wore off and that took several hours. I doubt that those smoking at concerts walk home after the event and I am certain the affects don't wear off immediately after the last guitar is smashed onto the stage.
Beach Lover

Daphne, AL

#13 Jun 16, 2012
Give Me A Break wrote:
<quoted text>
I used to partake myself so I speak from experience. I always made sure that I would not have to drive until the affects wore off and that took several hours. I doubt that those smoking at concerts walk home after the event and I am certain the affects don't wear off immediately after the last guitar is smashed onto the stage.
So this is why you are so messed up!
Give Me a Break

Foley, AL

#14 Jun 16, 2012
At least I'm not afraid of bird droppings--that takes paranoia to a new height.
The Radio Star

United States

#15 Jun 17, 2012
The government needs to do a better job at convincing the American voters if they want to continue on with this failed prohibition of marijuana. They claim that the 'plant' is dangerous and deadly, yet they can't provide any proof or credible evidence to back these claims up. If you want to know the FACTS about marijuana then click on the link below.

"The truth about marijuana the government doesn't want you to know."

&fe ature=youtube_gdata_player
Give Me a Break

Foley, AL

#16 Jun 17, 2012
The Radio Star wrote:
The government needs to do a better job at convincing the American voters if they want to continue on with this failed prohibition of marijuana. They claim that the 'plant' is dangerous and deadly, yet they can't provide any proof or credible evidence to back these claims up. If you want to know the FACTS about marijuana then click on the link below.
"The truth about marijuana the government doesn't want you to know."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =xSkCM2IORHEXX&feature=you tube_gdata_player
I'm not concerned about marijuana. I just want to have a cigarette without getting arrested and not have to pay $1000.00 for a pack of cigarettes.
avid smoker

Foley, AL

#17 Jun 19, 2012
I can say I've been a pot smoker for over 30 yrs. I've never been in an auto wreck or had any tickets. nor have i ever got stoned and acted a fool like when a drinker gets drunk. after a hard days work i like to relax by smoking a joint. I do not go to work high and i do not partake around children.As far as health I'm as healthy as can be. check ups every yr and no problems lungs,heart, blood pressure is fine. The only reason I can see it has not been legalized yet is they can not find a way to tax it. But if they could are nations debts would be payed off in no time. But that's just my opinion. and opinions are like assholes every body got one.
ThomasA

Gadsden, AL

#18 Jun 23, 2012
avid smoker wrote:
I can say I've been a pot smoker for over 30 yrs. I've never been in an auto wreck or had any tickets. nor have i ever got stoned and acted a fool like when a drinker gets drunk. after a hard days work i like to relax by smoking a joint. I do not go to work high and i do not partake around children.As far as health I'm as healthy as can be. check ups every yr and no problems lungs,heart, blood pressure is fine. The only reason I can see it has not been legalized yet is they can not find a way to tax it. But if they could are nations debts would be payed off in no time. But that's just my opinion. and opinions are like assholes every body got one.
You must not work anyplace that has workman's comp insurance. If you did, you would be subject to monthly random pee tests.Even though you smoke on your time,what you have in your system on company premises,on company time will get you FIRED! Try getting a good job with a "drug related dismissal " on your background check.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Fairhope Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Who do you support for State Board of Education... (Oct '10) 15 hr sweet home alobama 93
Christmas tree recycling 20 hr high 1
Foley swinging for fences with $4 million expan... Thu thetruth 2
Debate: Gay Marriage - Foley, AL (Aug '10) Dec 23 Brian_G 59
Alabama loaded in 2017 Dec 20 Will Dockery 1
Foley man charged with capital murder in arson ... Dec 20 mossy seaman 2
Earline Martin-Harris, former Prichard coucilwo... Dec 19 CAROL MABRY 1
Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]