Immigration Debate - Chicago, IL

Discuss the national Immigration debate in Chicago, IL.

Do you support Arizona's immigration law?

Chicago Supports
Support
 
91
Oppose
 
45

Vote now in Chicago:

First Prev
of 22
Next Last
Bill Burns

Komatsubara, Japan

#1 May 19, 2010
AZ is bleeding to death (dying) from 480,000 illegal immigrants - drugs, lost US jobs, billions sent to Mexico from the US economy, no taxes paid, AZ medical services collapsing.
Awake

Palatine, IL

#2 May 21, 2010
I haven't read the law. However, opponents of the law feel that it is unconstitutional and discriminatory. As a Black person descendant of slaves, I cannot support something that could open a door that leads to laws getting passed that discriminate against me: Blacks;women. Until I am sure that the law is just and fair, I cannot support it.
Ty wolson

Chicago, IL

#4 May 21, 2010
What would occur if we refused to pay taxes, we go to jail. Even if I am doing so to better my family.
Razors Edge

Oak Lawn, IL

#5 May 21, 2010
Awake wrote:
I haven't read the law. However, opponents of the law feel that it is unconstitutional and discriminatory. As a Black person descendant of slaves, I cannot support something that could open a door that leads to laws getting passed that discriminate against me: Blacks;women. Until I am sure that the law is just and fair, I cannot support it.
You can read the entire USSC opinion here
http://www.law.cornell.edu/supct/html/03-1423 ...

In other words, the US Supreme Court, has ruled, many, many times, that any Law Enforcement Officer has a right to question someone about their legal status of being in this Country. And does NOT even have to have any sort of pre-condition to do so.

Meaning, for example, the police do not have to first stop someone for speeding, or in some other way have to have a legitimate legal contact first before inquiring into whether or not a person is in this Country legally.

By the way, the US Supreme Courts ruling on Muehler v Mena, was 9-0.

For the mathematically challenged liberals, that means all 9 of the Supreme Court Justices ruled in favor of allowing police to question someone on their legal status, without any pre-qualifications. That means, even the moderate to ultra liberal Justices on the Supreme Court at the time, ruled in favor of this (2005).

By the way, seems to me a 'Constitutional Law Professor' such as Obamanation claims to be would know all this. It would also seem the highest ranking Law Enforcement Officer in the Country, the US Attorney General, would also know this.

They both should know the US Supreme Court has ruled on stopping and asking people questions, like their legal immigration status and it is perfectly legal and Constitutional.

Where is the Beef? WTF?
Support this?
Bill Burns

Tecomán, Mexico

#7 May 22, 2010
Awake wrote:
I haven't read the law. However, opponents of the law feel that it is unconstitutional and discriminatory. As a Black person descendant of slaves, I cannot support something that could open a door that leads to laws getting passed that discriminate against me: Blacks;women. Until I am sure that the law is just and fair, I cannot support it.
I feel sorry for you. You "haven't read the law" but you "can't support it" you say. It's 10 pages Igor. It is not "unconstitutional and discriminatory" as you incorrectly assert.[Not even Obama says that.]
Don Task

Glenview, IL

#8 May 22, 2010
Given the utter and continued failure of the Federal Govt. to deal with a problem that directly impacts the lives of Arizonans, they had to act. That should be the way our Federal system SHOULd work.
Joe Kelly

Chicago, IL

#9 May 22, 2010
we are broke, go home
Richie

Chicago, IL

#10 May 22, 2010
No free rides
Razors Edge

Oak Lawn, IL

#11 May 22, 2010
Let me get this straight,When your home
is infested with Cockroaches,You call in
the Pest Control people,and have them exterminate them,week after week,until
the Pest Control Org informs you they
are all gone? If any remain,You call
the same Pest Control Org,and request
they carry out,another extermination
correct? Well our home is infested
with a very large population of Cockroaches,because of prior neglect
of the home,Like 25 years of neglect
where am I going wrong???
Resles Leggs II

United States

#12 May 22, 2010
I'm not sure how much of the south and west you've seen but, for the most part, these people are the least useful on the planet. In many cases the most vocal supporters of the legislation are the same people who profited hugely by the transit of illegal aliens into the country in the first place. White southerners have always been unable to do their own work and have needed a sub-class to do it for them; it's just their nature. the legislation we need to forward as a country is legislation which dissolves state's rights and the old south in particular. I'll be the first volunteer to begin reconstruction of the ghastly stoopid place. what General Sherman started I will happily finish.
Razors Edge

Oak Lawn, IL

#13 May 22, 2010
Rico from East Los II wrote:
<quoted text>
I must agree with you, the gravy train seems to be on its last stretch of track.
Don't be surprised if you see words like AMNESTY shoved down your throat in the mere future.
Its bound to be part of any upcoming comprehensive immigration reform.
That is just a code word,they do not have the Cajones
to say Amnesty,Or Islamic Terrorists,or Islamic Jihadists..Good to have such a Brave Warrior as the
C.I.C uh?? Wait until a real crisis arises..And i do
not mean Oil Spills,Or Illegals?? Oh,Do something about those nasty Middle East Immigrants for me?
You know guys those ones who keep on blowing up chit?
That hustling Chicago job,with Acorn,and community
organizing,did not prepare him for the real deal!
Razors Edge
Palos Hills, IL
1 min ago
See Social Justice=Marxism..Rev Al,Quote
You all must have wanted Socialism,You
voted for Obowma..end of quote!
analballistic

Port Dover, Canada

#14 May 23, 2010
gotta do somthing about the illegals at least arizona is being pro active. obama sucks
gigo

San Francisco, CA

#15 May 24, 2010
rules area rules after all
Christopher Coats

Chicago, IL

#16 May 24, 2010
Immigration is and has always been part of American life (give me your poor...) but Illegal immigration is a slap in the face to all those who crossed Ellis island legally, played by the rules and became American citizens. Immigrants aren't the root issue, the reason they flee Mexico, China, India, etc IS the problem. We don't have an immigration issue with Swiss nationals, Dutch nationals and Danish nationals - Why? because life in Switzerland is better than it is in the US....
TP

Western Springs, IL

#17 May 24, 2010
The law is the law. There is a process for legal immigration already.
Chicagoan

Riverview, MI

#18 May 24, 2010
It's illegal for a white, black, yellow 'American' to live and work illegally in Canada or in anyone else's country- anywhere else in the world so why is it different for mexicans living and working illegally in OUR country? Do liberals REALLY lack any semblance of logic or do they just wring their hands in fear and side with foreign criminals, lest they offend them?
Fedup in Chicago

River Grove, IL

#20 May 25, 2010
We have to stop the inflow of illegals in this country. They are slowly destroying this great nation.
Common

Corpus Christi, TX

#21 May 25, 2010
Bill Burns wrote:
AZ is bleeding to death (dying) from 480,000 illegal immigrants - drugs, lost US jobs, billions sent to Mexico from the US economy, no taxes paid, AZ medical services collapsing.
dont you think Big companies taking jobs over seas and putting their "Home Office" in Jamaica so they wont have to pay billions in taxes affects us more than illegal immigrants?

just asking.
Common

Corpus Christi, TX

#22 May 25, 2010
Chicagoan wrote:
It's illegal for a white, black, yellow 'American' to live and work illegally in Canada or in anyone else's country- anywhere else in the world so why is it different for mexicans living and working illegally in OUR country? Do liberals REALLY lack any semblance of logic or do they just wring their hands in fear and side with foreign criminals, lest they offend them?
the people who are for this are not FOR illegal immigration.

pay attention!

they are against the racial profiling of leagal citizens.
Vet

Jonesboro, GA

#23 May 25, 2010
Common wrote:
<quoted text>
dont you think Big companies taking jobs over seas and putting their "Home Office" in Jamaica so they wont have to pay billions in taxes affects us more than illegal immigrants?
just asking.
Pay no attention to this "common" person from Texas . He only made it to the 6th grade .

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 22
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 7 min Nostrilis Waxman 1,174,936
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 1 hr FoLLoW aLoNg 5,410
Infighting marks Bellport village board elections (Jun '08) 2 hr Donna 1,924
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 2 hr Jacques Ottawa 183,969
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 2 hr Patriot AKA Bozo 50,519
Last word + 2 (Mar '12) 6 hr boundary painter 775
Fun Song Combos (Sep '12) 6 hr boundary painter 401

Related Media

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]