Gun Control Debate - Denver, CO

Discuss the national Gun Control debate in Denver, CO.

Would you support a ban on handguns?

Denver opposes
Oppose
 
117
Support
 
12

Vote now in Denver:

Comments
1 - 20 of 198 Comments Last updated -
First Prev
of 10
Next Last

“Open your eyes, people”

Level 1

Since: May 08

Location hidden

#1 Sep 24, 2010
Hell No! The people have the Constitutional Right to bear arms. If we give that one up, we cannot protect our other rights from would be tyrannts.

“It's pronounced DAG-uth.”

Since: Jun 07

Windsor, CO

#4 Sep 24, 2010
Instead of banning guns, they should simply kill people who commit crimes with guns. That seems pretty straight forward to me.

Every time I've handled a weapon has been for target practice in a controlled environment or in the line of duty.

People who can't handle the responsibility shouldn't be able to ruin it for the rest of us. Break the law with a firearm - die. It's that simple. That might get the message across.
dirk diggler

Surrey, Canada

#5 Sep 24, 2010
No one has a right to tell me how I can defend my life.
bluejacket

Denver, CO

#6 Sep 24, 2010
Move to California if you don't believe in my right to self defense. That'll be easier than trying to take it from me.
William Duncamson

Denver, CO

#7 Sep 24, 2010
Am a 2nd amendment supporter.

I do not think shooting a thief is a crime just because they are undocumented democrat voters.
Wid

Denver, CO

#8 Sep 24, 2010
I can accept (but not fully support) the right to bear arms. Our forefather had in mind the right to defend oneself against unjust government (so what? Should an individual be allowed to possess nuclear weapons? After all that’s the only way to even the playing field). Then there are those who argue that hunting it the purpose. Great! Please tell me when a hand gun was the preferred method of killing a deer, goose, or what ever? Okay, then there’s the argument…it’s all about self-defense? A shotgun will do just as good a job. Let’s face it: hand guns have but one purpose...to kill man. If someone out there can convince me otherwise I’d be interested in hearing you views.

M. Widzer
Former Director
United Nations Committee on Disarmament
Sue

Aurora, CO

#9 Sep 25, 2010
You will not touch my guns. I have a right to protect my family! I am not waiting helplessly for the police to do it. The criminals will be out in full force. Look at other countries that have a ban, crime rate is up full force.

And (WID) this is not about nukes! Its about being free and not having to depend on our government to take care of us. Do it yourself! The word socialist comes to mind, you live your life I live mine as long as we do it your way! NO. Go live your life with no guns. Stop telling the rest of us how to live. Oh, and I do not hunt either. But guess what, I could if I needed to, because I know how to use a gun.
Tino

Denver, CO

#10 Sep 25, 2010
Sue wrote:
You will not touch my guns. I have a right to protect my family! I am not waiting helplessly for the police to do it. The criminals will be out in full force. Look at other countries that have a ban, crime rate is up full force.
And (WID) this is not about nukes! Its about being free and not having to depend on our government to take care of us. Do it yourself! The word socialist comes to mind, you live your life I live mine as long as we do it your way! NO. Go live your life with no guns. Stop telling the rest of us how to live. Oh, and I do not hunt either. But guess what, I could if I needed to, because I know how to use a gun.
Sue, I am not asking you to give up your precious guns...I am only saying that HANDGUNS are unnessary--they have but one purpose and that i to kill men. Also, you are incorrect. Check your facts. The Crime rate in the UK, per captia, is much lower than that of the US.
Archie Bunker

Fort Lupton, CO

#11 Sep 25, 2010
NEVER WILL I GIVE UP MY GUNS AND THE RIGHT TO OWN THEM!!!!

This right is guarenteed to me under the constitution.

When these criminals, who use guns in the commison of "any" crime are caught, the following should be their punishment.

Slowly, cut off both of their thumbs. Yes, cut their thumbs off. They again, will never be able to grip, hold or shoot a handgun.

When their "fellow homies" see that thumbs are being cut off, well, would you use a gun?

Edith Agrees.
John C

Denver, CO

#12 Sep 26, 2010
It hasn't worked for Chicago, why would it work here.
Scott K

Denver, CO

#13 Sep 26, 2010
Everyone should be required to watch the documentary "In Search of the Second Amendment" to understand the importance of this right!

“It's pronounced DAG-uth.”

Since: Jun 07

Windsor, CO

#14 Sep 26, 2010
Scott K wrote:
Everyone should be required to watch the documentary "In Search of the Second Amendment" to understand the importance of this right!
I agree, but in the meantime, everyone should just behave.

If everyone did that we could use guns for recreational shooting, competitions, and hunting. And of, course, occasionally blowing the head off of the loser breaking in your home and threatening your family. THAT is what guns are for and THAT is why we have a right to use them.

They're not for drive-by "I'm a pissed off homie and I can't deal with my feelings like a big boy" trips. Thank you losers, trailer trash, gang-banger, dumb-ass idiots for making stupid reactionary political wannabees questions our rights to protect ourselves.

Down with DNA failures! 43 cents for each one!
Sue

Aurora, CO

#15 Sep 26, 2010
I know what a handgun is for. Yet I have not shot anyone. So, yes that saying people kill people is true, not handguns. The gun can not go off by itself. It has to have help.

Lets face it, if you don't want a gun, then don't buy a gun. My family will be safe, and yours will come over to mine to ask me to help you.

Not everyone believes in owning a gun, I do. Please if you are not for guns then let somebody else protect you. That way you wont shoot yourself in the foot.

But just because you don't believe in it, does not mean I should believe in what you believe in. Stop trying to take away my rights to make you feel better.
Archie Bunker

Fort Lupton, CO

#16 Sep 26, 2010
William Duncamson wrote:
Am a 2nd amendment supporter.
I do not think shooting a thief is a crime just because they are undocumented democrat voters.
Buy This Man A Cold Beer!!!!!!

Edith Agrees.

Level 1

Since: Sep 10

Denver, CO

#17 Sep 26, 2010
I own handguns and have a Colorado concealed carry permit. As a former prosecutor, I can tell you that the vast majority of gun crimes are committed by people with prior criminal records who are prohibited by law from owning, or possessing guns from the gitgo.

After years of doubt, the meaning of the Second Amendment is now absolutely clear. It provides an individual, personal right to possess handguns in the home for self defense, in every state and every community in the nation. This is a fundamental right which cannot be taken way by the federal government or by any state or local entity.

There is however, every reason to believe that reasonable restrictions, such as proof of training, passing a reasonable background check, licencing, etc., no guns for criminals or mentally ill persons etc. will pass muster with the Supreme Court.

After all, you don't want your neighbor who just got out of prison after serving 30 years for killing his last neighbor with a shotgun due to 'anger issues' to have an arsenal.

Level 1

Since: Sep 10

Denver, CO

#18 Sep 26, 2010
dirk diggler wrote:
No one has a right to tell me how I can defend my life.
REALLY!!! Try taking a shotgun on your next flight and let me know how that works out for ya. What you say is pure foolishness. Lots of people have the right to tell you how you can or can't "defend your life."

Do you think that you would be allowed to put a minefield in your front yard -- or booby trap your front door or your car?? Think again.

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#19 Sep 26, 2010
richstacy wrote:
<quoted text>
REALLY!!! Try taking a shotgun on your next flight and let me know how that works out for ya. What you say is pure foolishness. Lots of people have the right to tell you how you can or can't "defend your life."
Do you think that you would be allowed to put a minefield in your front yard -- or booby trap your front door or your car?? Think again.
If he was able to, it would stop a lot of nonsense.....
BOOM! BOOM! GOLDFISH!

Colorado Springs, CO

#20 Sep 26, 2010
The second ammendment
tappertrap

Aurora, CO

#21 Sep 26, 2010
Criminals will get weapons of any kind regardless of laws passed on handguns. Citizens have a right to protect their property, their businesses, and their families. Owning and knowing how to effectively use one, could be the difference between life and death.
Contrary to popular myth, the purpose of law enforcement is NOT to protect each and every citizen, but to maintain order in society.

Level 1

Since: Sep 10

Denver, CO

#22 Sep 26, 2010
pantherplumber wrote:
<quoted text>
If he was able to, it would stop a lot of nonsense.....
If he could, everyone could. You'd be hard pressed to find a better advocate for 2nd Amendment rights than me. But I'm really not for trigger-happy fools blowing holes in pressurized aluminum tubes at 38,000 feet. Are you? Got any common sense??

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 10
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Denver Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Republicans the party of LIARS (Dec '11) 7 hr KarlVIIIII 12,414
last post wins! (Feb '11) 7 hr mr goodwrench 24,647
You rule the planet. How do you save the human... (Dec '12) 16 hr Kawalski 1,302
Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 19 hr lides 3,010
Relocating advice Fri Jjdenver3 10
Morgan Ingram was not murdered nor stalked. (Nov '12) Aug 28 curious 37
annette marion tortures w/cpms yvette handfield... Aug 28 ANNETTE MARION KI... 1

Related Topics

Denver Jobs

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]