Gun Control Debate - Cooper, TX

Discuss the national Gun Control debate in Cooper, TX.

Would you support a ban on handguns?

Cooper opposes
Oppose
 
27
Support
 
3

Vote now in Cooper:

Comments (Page 3)

Showing posts 41 - 60 of67
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
curious

Palestine, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#41
Sep 30, 2010
 
heartandmind wrote:
guess none of you have ever had a relative gunned down.
Sorry for your loss, it must have uhiged your brains.

Go after the idiot that did it not the tool.

People have killed with a shovel before, you wanna ban shovels?
Nightline

Lone Oak, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#42
Sep 30, 2010
 
heartandmind wrote:
unlike yourselves kiddos, i have no master. i do however have a mind and a huge reasoning ability. maybe that rock's hit you on your own head folks.
like i said, if you don't want to be known as "bubbas" don't act like one. it's your actions that make the area as such. why do you think there's so many dumb jokes about bubbas? here's a hint, folks, cliches become cliches because all too often, they're true.
no go run and play in those dirt streets kids.
This person will craw under the bed and call for someone with a gun to come save thier sorry ass.
I hope you get a busy signal.
Bob

Humble, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#43
Oct 8, 2010
 
I believe in the right to keep and bear arms as per the second amendment.

Since: Dec 09

Yantis, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#44
Oct 8, 2010
 
Only for the criminals!
heartandmind

Moline, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#45
Oct 11, 2010
 
then how is that so many crazy loons have guns? when you guys can assure the rest of us of the complate and total sanity of all gun owners and that is assured prior to the purchase of all guns, then you might be able to sway me.

had too many crazy neighbors stand in their frot yards, hoisting drinks, and popping off their guns, wacing thier guns at other people in the neighborhood for no good reason.

fix those problems, you've got me convinced.

Since: Dec 09

Lometa, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#46
Oct 11, 2010
 
One last time to Heartlessandmindless. When seconds count, the cops are only minutes away. The cops do not protect you from crime, they investigate after the crime. The courts have ruled that the police has no obligation to protect you and they can't be sued for failing to do so. You and only you are responsibile for your safety. The police come and carry off the body, maybe your's or a loved one and try to find out who did it. Finally I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy. It seems that you have a mind like a steel trap - it is closed and nothing can get in. I believe that people like you are referred to as trolls. You need to return to your bridge now. How ever to put your mind at ease I promise not to use my guns to protect you or your family if some one is kicking in your door and shooting at you and your family. I will give a report to the police when they finally arrive. Last thing, the second amendment is to protect all the others. As long as we the people are armed the government cannot take our other rights, such as your right to be stupid. Gun control has done wonders in other countries, Germany-12 million dead
Russia- 30 million dead
China- 70 million dead
Cambodia- 1 million dead
That is just a short list of some of the dead-113 million that died because they had no guns to resist with. I do realize that this will slide off your brain like water on a duck's back and none of it will soak in, but if I can prevent your corrupting just one young mind it is worth the effort. I wish you a good and safe day and I do pray that you do not need a gun today. Rest assured that if I do I will have one and I am proficient with it.
heartandmind

Moline, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#47
Oct 11, 2010
 
nimrod666 wrote:
One last time to Heartlessandmindless. When seconds count, the cops are only minutes away. The cops do not protect you from crime, they investigate after the crime. The courts have ruled that the police has no obligation to protect you and they can't be sued for failing to do so. You and only you are responsibile for your safety. The police come and carry off the body, maybe your's or a loved one and try to find out who did it. Finally I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy. It seems that you have a mind like a steel trap - it is closed and nothing can get in. I believe that people like you are referred to as trolls. You need to return to your bridge now. How ever to put your mind at ease I promise not to use my guns to protect you or your family if some one is kicking in your door and shooting at you and your family. I will give a report to the police when they finally arrive. Last thing, the second amendment is to protect all the others. As long as we the people are armed the government cannot take our other rights, such as your right to be stupid. Gun control has done wonders in other countries, Germany-12 million dead
Russia- 30 million dead
China- 70 million dead
Cambodia- 1 million dead
That is just a short list of some of the dead-113 million that died because they had no guns to resist with. I do realize that this will slide off your brain like water on a duck's back and none of it will soak in, but if I can prevent your corrupting just one young mind it is worth the effort. I wish you a good and safe day and I do pray that you do not need a gun today. Rest assured that if I do I will have one and I am proficient with it.
ok, nimrod - but you still don't address the ability to keep crazy people from owning guns.

and you also don't have a plan to keep kids from handling guns, do you?

as for germany - glad you brought that one up as i have extensive knowledge of germany and it's laws. they have strenuous controls over guns - particularly handguns - and the ammunition. then there's also the mindset of the typical german (of which i completely understand as i have lived there and travelled there for much of my life - and attended college there)- their stance is that they've got a civilized society and as such there's no need of private handgun ownership. they have "hunting clubs" that are just that - gun clubs that own hunting weapons and have specific events and competitions throughout the year.

solve those issues of the loons and the kids with guns in hand, buddy, then the argument against gun control is a dead and moot issue. and namecalling add no validity to add to your "argument" - it merely shows your level of desparation in making a point. if you can get past that schoolyard trick of diversion, maybe the discussion can continue.

Since: Dec 09

Lometa, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#48
Oct 12, 2010
 
Nice diversion. That was slick.
This is my last post to you. As Mark Twain said,"Nerver argue with a fool, as by-standers can't tell which one it is."
When guns are banned in Cooper the only ones armed will be the deputies and the dopers. I suppose that will make you feel really safe and you can sleep well at night. The deputies will be out gunned and out manned. Pleasent dreams, now go to sleep.
heartandmind

Moline, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#49
Oct 12, 2010
 
ok, nimrod - but you still don't address the ability to keep crazy people from owning guns.

and you also don't have a plan to keep kids from handling guns, do you?

asked the same question for the third time - and still no answers.....

Since: Dec 09

Lometa, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#50
Oct 12, 2010
 
FACTS TO PONDER :
(A) The number of physicians in the U.S. is 700,000.

(B) Accidental deaths caused by Physicians per year are120,000.

(Calculation) Accidental deaths per physician is 0.171.

Statistics courtesy of U.S. Dept of Health Human Services

>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>

Now think about this:

Guns:

(A) The number of gun owners in the U.S. is 80,000,000.

(Yes, that's 80 million..)

(B) The number of accidental gun death per year, all age groups, is 1,500.

(Calculation) The number of accidental deaths per gun owner is .000188.

Statistics courtesy of FBI

>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>>

So, statistically, doctors are approximately 9,000 times more dangerous than gun owners.

>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>

Remember,'Guns don't kill people, doctors do.'

>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >

FACT: NOT EVERYONE HAS A GUN, BUT ALMOST EVERYONE HAS AT LEAST ONE DOCTOR.

>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>

Please alert your friends to this alarming threat.

We must ban doctors before this gets completely out of hand!!!!!

>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>

Out of concern for the public at large, I withheld the statistics on lawyers for fear the shock would cause people to panic and seek medical attention.

Since: Dec 09

Lometa, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#51
Oct 12, 2010
 
You apparently have no knowledge of the gun laws. It is against the law for crazy people to own guns and a crime to sell them one. There is a form that must be filled out at time of purchase. It is also against the law to sell a handgun to some one under twenty one years of age. It is also a crime to have or store a handgun where it is accessible to children. Hand gun manufacturers must provide a device to lock a handgun, it is your responsibility to use it. If you have ever been adjudged to be mentaly incompetent it is very hard to ever get that removed, so you may own a firearm of any kind. Ask any Vetern that has recieved couseling for PTSS. Many who risked their lives for the rights of others are now denied their rights. I would hazzard a guess that you have recieved counseling at sometime and you may not be able to clear the back ground check, if your doctor reported it. Children are more likely to be struck by lightling than shot by accident. One death is too many, but that is the price of being free. At any rate there have been many more children killed because4 their parents did not have the means to protect them, Germany comes to mind -1932-1945. Your beloved cilivilized country of civil people killed 12 million or more, men, women, and children.
Your arguement is no more than a strawman. What you are arguring is emotion and not facts. There can de no debate on emotions, only on facts, of which you have none. Have a wonderful trip to Germany, Bon Voyage.
heartandmind

Moline, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#52
Oct 13, 2010
 
you apparantly aren't aware that crazy people CAN own guns if they're UNDIAGNOSED. and i've seen them in your precious corner of east Texas, bubba. several of them have alzheimer's, too. had the guns before the sickness. some of them are middle aged, just off their rockers - with guns.
and as for the storage....kids can still get in to anything. truth here, folks. my niece's husband is a gun safety instructor & has taught NUMEROUS classes for the state he lives in. my niece and their sons ALL attended classes yearly for refresher courses. their 13 yr old son probably had more hours in class, in the field (family was an avid group of hunters - the only meat they ate was what they hunted or fished for) and on the range than any of you could imagine. they kept their stash of guns (to many to list) locked inside a locked gun case that was inside a locked room. basically, to get to the pistols, you'd have to defeat 5 locks, not counting the locks on the ammo. 2 yrs ago, their youngest baby was in the hosp. in dallas for major surgery & the parents were swapping time at the hospital & home..this particular weekend, the husband was at the hospital and my niece was at work. the son decides to help dad and mowes - they're on 10 acres & it's common practice to have a pistol at hand for any number of critters. all guns & ammo are locked up - and the only access to the unlocking mechanisms are with the parents. he defeats the 5 locks and gets his dad's 45 that he competes with. he defeats the locks on the ammo (that's in a separate building on the property) that's got 3 locks (building, locker & compartment). i can't go into the gritty details...but he accidentally shoots himself in the head. dead before the cola he was holding hit the ground. no, he wasn't supposed to. yes, he'd been trained to the nth degree. yes, he had respect for life - everything that was supposed to be done WAS done. but, he was still a teenager & did something stupid.
that's my point folks. your kids, even though you think they obey you & know right and wrong and you think they won't get to a locked up gun - they can and they will if they want to.
and if a kid can do it, then a "drug crazed fiend" can do that as well.
how many of you have actually been attacked? i've been to some scary places in this world and i've never been accosted or attacked. and, not just the piney woods of east Texas -- some of the worst neighborhoods of Chicago, NYC, LA, Houston and Dallas at all times of the night.
and for the record, i've never been on any meds except some cholesterol meds....nor have i ever had counseling nor have i been in need of any counseling - you make some HUGE mistaken assumptions there, bubba. perhaps some of you that are so frightened of someone breaking into your double-wides & stealing that rare beta-vcr tape collection you've been hoarding all these years.
what's amazing to me is that almost all of you guys up here stated that there's a serious drug problem in your area and that's why you want guns in your home to protect you and your family if anyone breaks in to steal your stuff. that i might understand. but then everyone turns around and wants pot legalized? check out that survey....you're afraid of "crazed druggies" lurking around, but you want pot legalized? that defies all logic.
bubba

Ivanhoe, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#53
Oct 13, 2010
 
nimrod, there aint no sense arguing with this woman anymore. she is to dumb for her own good! someday when we are enjoying our freedom that we have fought for, and she is in a concentration camp, she might realize what you were talking about
Frost

Ivanhoe, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#54
Oct 13, 2010
 
Heartandmind,
Accidents happen, however statistically, they are minute. Crazies and drunks own cars without waiting periods and cars can do FAR more damage than a gun ever will. Children can get behind the wheel while you're not paying attention and kill someone or themselves. Cars can back over children, fall off jackstands and kill them. Tires can explode, gas tanks can rupture and kill people in a RADIUS. So, are you saying we should outlaw cars because they are possibly dangerous or are you okay with using them as a tool?
heartandmind

Moline, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#55
Oct 14, 2010
 
Frost wrote:
Heartandmind,
Accidents happen, however statistically, they are minute. Crazies and drunks own cars without waiting periods and cars can do FAR more damage than a gun ever will. Children can get behind the wheel while you're not paying attention and kill someone or themselves. Cars can back over children, fall off jackstands and kill them. Tires can explode, gas tanks can rupture and kill people in a RADIUS. So, are you saying we should outlaw cars because they are possibly dangerous or are you okay with using them as a tool?


i have to repeat myself again in this thread? jeez, guys, what do they teach in cooper isd?

no, cars are designed for transportation and safety. guns are designed to shoot projectiles at a target.

and you don't have to be an engineer to understand the basic differences in design and the principles thereof. although, since that's what i do for a living, maybe it is more of a help than a hindrance to understand those kinds of things.

and to person that made another assumption as to my gender - i've not indicated my gender for a reason - it has no influence in what i do nor what i write. besides that, it's really none of your business and it shouldn't matter one iota as to what someone is or is not.
Anonymous

Richardson, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#56
Jan 1, 2011
 
Not attacking anyone just speaking out. For those liberals and communists who believe that doing away with the 2nd Amdt or at least making it harder to possess such weapons you should understand that doing so will ultimately just make it more difficult for law abiding citizens to protect their families from scum. Think about it.
Frost

Ivanhoe, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#57
Jan 1, 2011
 
I can do more damage with a propane tank from Walmart and a road flare. No waiting period. Or a crossbow or bow and arrow. Then there are weedeaters, guy ate his neighbor up with a weedeater. Humans will kill each other with whatever they have at hand, guns however, even things out. Guns allow an 80 year old grandmother to stand on equal footing with a PCP crazed thief.

Since: Nov 09

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#58
Jan 2, 2011
 
Nam Vet wrote:
When pigs fly
No kidding, Disarm criminals, not citizens.
Doubting our future

Cumby, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#59
Jan 4, 2011
 
Why should we have to give up what the constitution says is rightfully ours?!

Since: Dec 09

Lometa, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#60
Jan 5, 2011
 
Heartandmind, after reading your next to last post I feel I may owe you an apology and strongly suggest you get the couseling that you so badly need. There are grief counselors and grief groups that may be able to help you. Sucicide is a difficult thing to deal with. When faced with something like this we often transfer our anger to an inanimate object to avoid facing the reality of what happened. However you need to realize that if no gun had been available he would have found other means to carry out his plan. According to the facts that you posted if I was the investergator in this case I would have to consider suicide as the most likely cause of death. You did not say how he defeated eight locks. Was there damage to the locks, doors or containers? If there was it would indicate that he had no intention of facing any consequences for his actions. If there was no damage how was he able to defeat them? Most thirteen year olds do not know how to pick a lock or make a bump key. Again I am sorry for your loss and hope you find the help and support that you need.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 41 - 60 of67
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Cooper Discussions

Search the Cooper Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
TX Longtime GOP Texas Gov. Perry wins another term (Nov '10) 1 hr L Morales 21,364
TX Who do you support for Governor in Texas in 2010? (Oct '10) 1 hr Joyce 16,970
KSST, Enola Gay (Jan '10) 1 hr From The Peanut Gallery 12
TX Who do you support for Comptroller of Public Ac... (Oct '10) 6 hr Gasman 589
TX Who do you support for Railroad Commissioner in... (Oct '10) 6 hr Gasman 747
Book discussion on Tomlinson Hill. 16 hr nina roth 3
Dating in Sulphur Springs (Dec '11) Tue nina roth 4

Related Topics

Cooper Jobs

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]