Gun Control Debate - Athens, TN

Discuss the national Gun Control debate in Athens, TN.

Would you support a ban on handguns?

Athens opposes
Oppose
 
9
Support
 
2

Vote now in Athens:

Comments
1 - 20 of 95 Comments Last updated -
First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Lied2

Manchester, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Sep 26, 2010
 
If every household had a gun and everyone, in the house was trained on how and when to use it, crime in the US would go down substantually! Because if you were gonna break in to a home and you knew everyone in that house knew how to use a gun and would, you would not break in, unless you were an IDIOT!
damn

Athens, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
Sep 26, 2010
 
Lied2 wrote:
If every household had a gun and everyone, in the house was trained on how and when to use it, crime in the US would go down substantually! Because if you were gonna break in to a home and you knew everyone in that house knew how to use a gun and would, you would not break in, unless you were an IDIOT!
Most guns on the street come from burglaries.

How many times have you heard of a situation in the news where a gun actually saved someones life?
It is extremely rare.

The majority of people shot with a gun are suicides and the 2nd highest are accidental shootings of a loved one.
In fact you are statistically more likely to shoot and kill a loved one than a criminal.
Oddly enough a person is more likely to die from an accidental shooting by someone they care about than being shot by a criminal.

Take for example back in the pioneer days when everyone could carry a gun out in the open.
It sure wasn't safer than modern times for damn sure.

Also take for example other nations where gun laws are stricter than the USA, gun deaths of everyone, criminals and victims alike are down, also violent crime is no higher than in the USA.

Quit being paranoid morons and get a brain people.
damn

Athens, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
Sep 26, 2010
 
Lied2 wrote:
If every household had a gun and everyone, in the house was trained on how and when to use it, crime in the US would go down substantually! Because if you were gonna break in to a home and you knew everyone in that house knew how to use a gun and would, you would not break in, unless you were an IDIOT!
...Or you and your buddies were carrying perfectly legal guns that were bigger and could shoot more bullets than the one in the house you were robbing....

think about it
Ummm

Athens, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Sep 27, 2010
 
Normally people that are carrying perfectly legal guns that are bigger and could shoot more bullets are people that would NOT be robbing anyone's home.

People definitely need to be responsible if they are gonna have and carry a gun. But everyone that has and carries doesn't shoot themselves anymore than people that drive wreck and kill themselves in an automobile. There will always be accidents because accidents happen, that is the sad truth in any area of life. Everything has to be respected, whether it is driving a car, working a job or carrying a handgun.

I am completely against banning handguns. We have a right to protect ourselves against harm. Having our handguns taken is like giving anyone that wants to harm us a free pass. If we have no legal right to protect ourselves then we are no threat to their unlawfullness.

Not only will having our guns taken away leave us defenseless against criminals, it will leave us at the mercy of a government that will have no more boundaries to follow. We the people won't be a force to be reckoned with and therefore have no say in how our country is run. Let's not lose that right.

There's way more at stake than just saying "guns are bad". Guns aren't bad, criminals are bad. Guns don't shoot people, people shoot people.
Big Jake

Athens, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Sep 27, 2010
 
The guns would just get stolen during a burglary! lol!
HAHA

Athens, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Sep 27, 2010
 
WELL i BELIVE THE CRIME RATE WILL RISE AS IT HAS IN THEY YEARS WITH THE RISE OF GUN OWNERS. ANOTHER GUN ANOTHER LIFE...
AFVet

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Sep 27, 2010
 
Seems to me that yacking/texting on your cell phone while driving is quickly moving up the list of 'what kills people'

How do I feel about gun control? Break into my house some night and find out.
tacos rule

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Sep 27, 2010
 
i practice gun control religiously.. i can do controlled pairs to the head of a target at 15 yards in .6 seconds.
missed it

Chattanooga, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Sep 28, 2010
 
damn wrote:
<quoted text>
Also take for example other nations where gun laws are stricter than the USA, gun deaths of everyone, criminals and victims alike are down, also violent crime is no higher than in the USA.
Quit being paranoid morons and get a brain people.
Yes gun deaths may be down, but violent crimes go up. Check your facts.
damn

Athens, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Sep 28, 2010
 
missed it wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes gun deaths may be down, but violent crimes go up. Check your facts.
you need to recheck your facts
Ummm

Athens, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Sep 28, 2010
 
"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." -George Washington
gun owner

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
Sep 28, 2010
 
Guess when your spouse or child or loved one etc, is raped and you are robbed and beat down by some crazy crack head with a gun you will still say we don't need guns huh? You take every gun away from each legally owned person the crooks will stillhave them. That's fact.
HAHA

Athens, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#17
Sep 28, 2010
 
Another gun another life is so true. People who claim to keep thier guns for protection are protecting themselves from other idiots with guns...then they lock them up and when thier kid shots them selves playing around with thier locked gun all the sudden they see how dumb they were to have it in the first place...
HAHA

Athens, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#18
Sep 28, 2010
 
Rank Countries Amount gun deaths
# 1 South Africa: 31,918
# 2 Colombia: 21,898
# 3 Thailand: 20,032
# 4 United States: 9,369
# 5 Philippines: 7,708
# 6 Mexico: 2,606
# 7 Slovakia: 2,356
# 8 El Salvador: 1,441

Total crimes (most recent) by country
VIEW DATA: Totals Per capita
Definition Source Printable version

Bar Graph Pie Chart Map


Showing latest available data. Rank Countries Amount
# 1 United States: 11,877,218
# 2 United Kingdom: 6,523,706
# 3 Germany: 6,507,394
# 4 France: 3,771,850
# 5 Russia: 2,952,370
# 6 Japan: 2,853,739
# 7 South Africa: 2,683,849
# 8 Canada: 2,516,918
# 9 Italy: 2,231,550
HAHA

Athens, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#19
Sep 28, 2010
 
15 Most Common Causes of Death in the United States
by the Editors of Publications International, Ltd.
1. Diseases of the heart
28.5
2. Malignant tumors 22.8
3. Cerebrovascular diseases 6.7
4. Chronic lower respiratory diseases 5.1
5. Accidents (unintentional injuries) 4.4
6. Diabetes mellitus 3.0
7. Influenza and pneumonia 2.7
8. Alzheimer's disease 2.4
9. Nephritis, nephrotic syndrome, and nephrosis 1.7
10. Septicemia (blood poisoning) 1.4
11. Suicide 1.3
12. Chronic liver disease and cirrhosis 1.1
13. Primary hypertension and hypertensive renal disease 0.8
14. Parkinson's disease (tied) 0.7
15. Homicide (tied) 0.7
HAHA

Athens, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#20
Sep 28, 2010
 
"The level of gun ownership world-wide is directly related to murder and suicide rates and specifically to the level of death by gunfire."

International Correlation between gun ownership and rates of homicide and suicide.' Professor Martin Killias
Gun Deaths - International Comparisons
Gun deaths per 100,000 population (for the year indicated):

Homicide Suicide Other (inc Accident)

USA (2001) 3.98 5.92 0.36
Italy (1997) 0.81 1.1 0.07
Switzerland 0.50 5.8 0.10
Canada (2002) 0.4 2.0 0.04
Finland (2003) 0.35 4.45 0.10
Australia 0.24 1.34 0.10
France 0.21 3.4 0.49
England/Wales 0.15 0.2 0.03
Scotland 0.06 0.2 0.02
Japan (2002) 0.02 0.04 0
HAHA

Athens, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#21
Sep 28, 2010
 
Some Statistics from the USA

In 1999, there were 28,874 gun-related deaths in the United States - over 80 deaths every day.(Source: Hoyert DL, Arias E, Smith BL, Murphy SL, Kochanek, KD. Deaths: Final Data for 1999. National Vital Statistics Reports. 2001;49 (8).)

Between 1993-1999, gun deaths in the United States have declined 27%.(SOURCE: http://www.cdc.gov/ncipc/wisqars/default.htm , WISQARS, National Center for Injury Control and Prevention, accessed March, 2002.)

In 1999, 58% of all gun deaths were suicides, and 38% were homicides.(SOURCE: Hoyert DL, Arias E, Smith BL, Murphy SL, Kochanek, KD. Deaths: Final Data for 1999. National Vital Statistics Reports. 2001;49 (8).)

Of all suicides, 57% occurred by firearm (SOURCE: http://www.cdc.gov/ncipc/wisqars/default.htm , Web-based Injury Statistics Query and Reporting System (WISQARS), National Center for Injury Control and Prevention, accessed March, 2002.)

In 2000, 75,685 people (27/100,000) suffered non-fatal firearm gunshot injuries.(SOURCE: Federal Bureau of Investigation. Uniform Crime Reports for the United States: Crime in the United States 2000: Uniform Crime Reports. Washington, D.C: U.S. Department of Justice; 2001.)
Ban Gun Control Nutz

Omaha, NE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#22
Sep 28, 2010
 
Big Jake wrote:
The guns would just get stolen during a burglary! lol!
Right....so just let the criminals do what they may.
Ban Gun Control Nutz

Omaha, NE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#23
Sep 28, 2010
 
HAHA wrote:
"The level of gun ownership world-wide is directly related to murder and suicide rates and specifically to the level of death by gunfire."
International Correlation between gun ownership and rates of homicide and suicide.' Professor Martin Killias
Gun Deaths - International Comparisons
Gun deaths per 100,000 population (for the year indicated):
Homicide Suicide Other (inc Accident)
USA (2001) 3.98 5.92 0.36
Italy (1997) 0.81 1.1 0.07
Switzerland 0.50 5.8 0.10
Canada (2002) 0.4 2.0 0.04
Finland (2003) 0.35 4.45 0.10
Australia 0.24 1.34 0.10
France 0.21 3.4 0.49
England/Wales 0.15 0.2 0.03
Scotland 0.06 0.2 0.02
Japan (2002) 0.02 0.04 0
Suicide rates are much higher in Japan. And they hace strict gun control. Go figure.
Ban Gun Control Nutz

Omaha, NE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#24
Sep 28, 2010
 
HAHA wrote:
Another gun another life is so true. People who claim to keep thier guns for protection are protecting themselves from other idiots with guns...then they lock them up and when thier kid shots them selves playing around with thier locked gun all the sudden they see how dumb they were to have it in the first place...
More lies.There are over 80 million gun owners in the US. If things were as bad as you say, there would be more deaths.
Meanwhile guns are SAVING lives EVERYDAY

http://www.guncite.com/gun_control_gcdguse.ht...

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Athens Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
TN Who do you support for Governor in Tennessee in... (Oct '10) 4 hr Mississippi gurl 145,350
TN Should state mandate immunizations? New require... (May '11) 5 hr Windy 9,296
clash of clans 6 hr allvolfan 1
Mcminn Central Baseball 20 hr GOCHARGERS 5
travis allen (Jul '13) Aug 23 lameO 21
NEED to find jon newerry Aug 23 traveler 1
TN Tennessee Hunting Rights Amendment (Oct '10) Aug 23 Johnny Smith 8,610

Search the Athens Forum:

Related Topics

Athens Jobs

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]