Gay Marriage Debate - Tulsa, OK

Discuss the national Gay Marriage debate in Tulsa, OK.

Do you support gay marriage?

Tulsa opposes
Oppose
 
191
Support
 
188

Vote now in Tulsa:

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Since: Dec 08

Home, sweet home.

#1423 Aug 25, 2012
There is no discrimination based on sexual preference, gays have always married under the same laws as everyone else. I cite Oscar Wilde and Meredith Baxter for example.

There is no orientation test for a marriage license.

“Always question authority. ”

Since: Aug 12

Location hidden

#1424 Aug 25, 2012
Brian_G wrote:
http://www.boxturtlebulletin.c om/Articles/000,012.htm
Clearly, the simple act of collecting a sample — even a supposedly “random” one — can give utterly invalid results if it’s not done correctly.
WOW YOU SURE DO OPPOSE SAME SEX MARRIAGE A LOT, A WHOLE LOT, ONE WOULD THINK YOU SPEND A LOT OF TIME ON BLOGS AS YOUR SOLE PURPOSE IN LIFE. IM SURE GLAD YOU HEARD ME OTHERWISE ID HAVE HAD TO PUSH THE CAPSLOCK BUTTON.... oh.... shit....sorry.
WTF

Mcminnville, OR

#1425 Aug 25, 2012
Brian_G wrote:
There is no discrimination based on sexual preference, gays have always married under the same laws as everyone else. I cite Oscar Wilde and Meredith Baxter for example.
There is no orientation test for a marriage license.
Marriage as it stands now doesn't equal gender diversity with an over 50% divorce rate. There are many children being raised by single parents with the other half not in the picture. What is contributing to such a dissatisfaction in marriage among heterosexuals?

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Since: Dec 08

Home, sweet home.

#1426 Aug 25, 2012
WTF thinks same sex marriage would reduce divorce, as if casual sex is unknown in the gay community.

Divorce isn't the problem, it maintains the consensual nature of marriage. If the left radically redefines marriage to include gender segregated marriage today it will come after the consent requirement tomorrow.

Keep marriage male/female to stop forced marriages.
WTF

Mcminnville, OR

#1428 Aug 25, 2012
Brian_G wrote:
WTF thinks same sex marriage would reduce divorce, as if casual sex is unknown in the gay community.
Divorce isn't the problem, it maintains the consensual nature of marriage. If the left radically redefines marriage to include gender segregated marriage today it will come after the consent requirement tomorrow.
Keep marriage male/female to stop forced marriages.
How do you jump to that? Ssm = forced marriages. I think there are more male/female marriages that end in divorce because one of that partnership was not allowed to be true to him/herself. Not all marriages that end in divorce but more than realized.

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Since: Dec 08

Home, sweet home.

#1429 Aug 25, 2012
If you allow the left to redefine marriage in the name of gender segregation you get unanticipated consequences. Honor the union of your mother and father because it created value from your birth.
WTF

Mcminnville, OR

#1430 Aug 25, 2012
Brian_G wrote:
If you allow the left to redefine marriage in the name of gender segregation you get unanticipated consequences. Honor the union of your mother and father because it created value from your birth.
But they were never married. My mother got pregnant with a man (my father) who disappeared once the responsibility of having a family set in. He pretty much is a deadbeat dad. She was a single parent until she fell in love with another women. They raised me in a loving home and provided well for me. I love them very much. Going on 30 years of a beautiful partnership, it is sad that their union ( not illegal, not a taboo) can't be granted the same rights that my friends parents had and have. My moms are my parents. Their partnership is gender segregated but it provided me the real life that basically a sperm-donor-of-a-father of mine didn't.

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Since: Dec 08

Home, sweet home.

#1431 Aug 26, 2012
I'm sorry that WTF never grew up with a father's love and protection. That must have been tough.

Do you think that might have something to do with his bizarre new definition of marriage he supports?

We can only sympathize with those who grew up motherless or fatherless. We'll keep marriage as one man and one woman so families will have an ideal model.
Words

Jenks, OK

#1432 Aug 26, 2012
Brian_G wrote:
I'm sorry that WTF never grew up with a father's love and protection. That must have been tough.
Do you think that might have something to do with his bizarre new definition of marriage he supports?
We can only sympathize with those who grew up motherless or fatherless. We'll keep marriage as one man and one woman so families will have an ideal model.


Some people marry each other then divorce. I agree with you Brian G that we can all sympathize with those who grew up motherless or fatherless. Here is an article that puts a better light on the debate. It is rather long so here is a link to it. Personally I oppose same sex marriage but support civil unions for the legal reasons gay seek but that is just my peronal belief and not part of the facts to support or oppose it one way or the other.

There is not enough research to definitely show that homosexual parenting is worse than traditional parenting. Similarly, there is not enough research to definitely show that homosexual parenting is equal to traditional parenting. Of the research that exists, on both sides of the debate, most is inadequate due to failure to meet the the basic criteria for sample size, a lack of random sampling, lack of anonymity of research participants, and general presentation bias. So what are we to do? Since family is so crucial to the health of society, it’d be wrong to say,“We don’t know therefore let’s just legalize gay marriage” and it’d be wrong to say “therefore lets just ban it.” No, everyone needs to look at the other information. You can read it here:
http://www.patheos.com/blogs/badcatholic/2011...

Until then it is best to leave it alone and lawmakers quit making changes based on public emotions just to garner votes. That has not served America as a whole very well as we know. Here is what we know for a fact. The first question has to be: Why do governments recognize marriages at all? If the goal of the gay-marriage movement is for gay marriage to be legally recognized and receive all the benefits of that legal recognition, this must be answered.

Now shockingly, the answer is not that the government just really, really wants to affirm the love between husband and wife. I suppose that’d be nice, if we got tax breaks because we loved really freaking well. It’d also be drastically stupid. No, governments recognize the institution of marriage as the primary institution responsible for the creation and raising of its society’s members. If the family falters, the society as a whole falters. Governments depend on stable families for the health of the society they govern. That is just a fact and nothing changes that. There is much more at the link I posted.
Christopher

Tulsa, OK

#1434 Apr 7, 2013
I deserve the right to get married to my partner just as much as any hetero has the right to do the same.
Christopher

Tulsa, OK

#1435 Apr 7, 2013
What really sucks is that the majority of voters in Oklahoma are Democrat! They just don't get off their lazy butts and go vote! I implore you, get off your lazy butts and go vote and we can turn this red state BLUE.

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Since: Dec 08

Home, sweet home.

#1436 Apr 7, 2013
Chris, you can travel to a jurisdiction with your partner and marry there; nobody will stop you from returning to Oklahoma. You could have a religious marriage ceremony if you can find a church that permits that; nobody will raid the reception. Incest marriage and polygamy are banned, they carry criminal penalties, not same sex marriage or same sex cohabitation.

The Democratic Party aren't your friends, they just use you like a tool.

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#1438 Apr 8, 2013
Seriously, just stop trying to reason with Brian. He is beyond help. I mean just look at his forum pic.

“Timshel”

Since: Jan 12

Tulsa, OK

#1440 Apr 8, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
Chris, you can travel to a jurisdiction with your partner and marry there; nobody will stop you from returning to Oklahoma. You could have a religious marriage ceremony if you can find a church that permits that; nobody will raid the reception. Incest marriage and polygamy are banned, they carry criminal penalties, not same sex marriage or same sex cohabitation.
The Democratic Party aren't your friends, they just use you like a tool.
I believe even if you SSM'd in another state and came back to good ol'Okiehoma they wouldn't recognize it. I could be wrong.
Brian_G wrote:
The Democratic Party aren't your friends, they just use you like a tool.
So what political party are your friends?

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Since: Dec 08

Home, sweet home.

#1441 Apr 9, 2013
_Jusayin_ wrote:
I believe even if you SSM'd in another state and came back to good ol'Okiehoma they wouldn't recognize it. I could be wrong.
Is the issue freedom or recognition? We want freedom from government imposing a new definition of marriage where gender segregation is acceptable, where men and men can segregate into 'marriage'. Where the value of gender integration, like mom and dad, is rejected as a value.

.
_Jusayin_ wrote:
So what political party are your friends?
I think the left hates homosexuals, that's why they try to use them as political pawns. When the revolution reached the USA, the promise was freedom, better institutions than single, marriage and divorced; the sexual revolution was won. Now the left wants the goal to redefine the meaning and relationship of gender in government's responsibility to protect marriage. More government control of marriage through new court challenges.

Same sex marriage is bad because it's so bourgeois.

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Since: Dec 08

Home, sweet home.

#1442 Apr 9, 2013
Christopher wrote:
I deserve the right to get married to my partner just as much as any hetero has the right to do the same.
And you have that right, but you can't force the state to treat a gender segregated pair as if they were a gender integrated couple. They aren't the same.

I deserve the right that the definition of marriage I was born with is the same one I die with. We all have wants and needs.

I care about life. Topless women protest Putin's dictatorship, where gays aren't permitted to march in the streets. The Islamic world criminalizes homosexual behavior, so does Jamaica. Iran is trying to make and deploy nuclear weapons. Why argue same sex marriage when the future is this uncertain.

Why not love your neighbors and try to understand their customs? Why not try to adopt American values and quit suing everybody?

“Timshel”

Since: Jan 12

Tulsa, OK

#1443 Apr 9, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>Is the issue freedom or recognition? We want freedom from government imposing a new definition of marriage where gender segregation is acceptable, where men and men can segregate into 'marriage'. Where the value of gender integration, like mom and dad, is rejected as a value.
.
If equal and proper freedoms are granted, recognition will ultimately follow. Even for heterosexual couples, we want our freedom to marry who we want and to be recognized as being married and to be able to enjoy the perks of marriage. It should be level across the board for all humans no matter their sexual orientation and I agree, the government should stay out of it but so should religion too.
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>I think the left hates homosexuals, that's why they try to use them as political pawns. When the revolution reached the USA, the promise was freedom, better institutions than single, marriage and divorced; the sexual revolution was won. Now the left wants the goal to redefine the meaning and relationship of gender in government's responsibility to protect marriage. More government control of marriage through new court challenges.
Same sex marriage is bad because it's so bourgeois.
So you're saying SSM is bad simply because of what certain people think? So what? You're never ever going to get everybody to agree on everything so that's nothing new.

Some "lefts" despise G&L's and some "rights" do too. I can argue MORE "rights" openly despise G&L's due to their political affiliation and what it stands for so really, as you said it's what you think but if I'm understanding you correctly, your thought process is very narrowed and a bit naive as there's no "good guys" in politics. Trust, they're all for them and not for us.

You mention the revolution came, we were promised freedoms and the like...well this country(even though it's total BS)was supposed to be founded on freedom of choice and not being told what or who to believe in yet, there is no clear cut line to this day between church and state which influences decisions such as these and that's not right.

SSM should be a non-issue and we should all have equal rights no matter race, beliefs or sexual orientation.
To the illogical thinker

Oklahoma City, OK

#1444 Apr 9, 2013
Get a clue people. The divorce rate is over 50%. People are people and should be treated equally under the law. Your comments are very uneducated and you are using stereotypical generalizations regarding gays that are simply untrue. Please educate yourself before you post on a forum and continue to promote discrimination.
To the illogical thinker

Oklahoma City, OK

#1445 Apr 9, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
Chris, you can travel to a jurisdiction with your partner and marry there; nobody will stop you from returning to Oklahoma. You could have a religious marriage ceremony if you can find a church that permits that; nobody will raid the reception. Incest marriage and polygamy are banned, they carry criminal penalties, not same sex marriage or same sex cohabitation.
The Democratic Party aren't your friends, they just use you like a tool.
one can marry in another state and return to Oklahoma but the legal recognition and protections disappear when they come back to their home state. Gay marriage will not harm any marriage. Equality for everyone.
Upraiser

Oklahoma City, OK

#1446 Apr 9, 2013
Will bring more money to the area. Marriages tend to spend more money then single people. Tulsa needs more revenue to gix roads properly and bring vity up to codes of other state cities. Also who cares; why discriminate against anybody?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Tulsa Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
I Can't Let Go (Jan '15) Mon Eternal truth 768
Matrix Serv (Mar '14) Mon Tommy guy 66
Y does DUI McNellie's tulsa Downtown want us to... (Apr '14) Aug 29 sam 46
News Edmonton's Victory Christian Center in limbo (Aug '12) Aug 28 SWITZER LAND 88
Donald Trumpet will Say Anyting Aug 27 Senator INBRED IN... 1
Sub seeking Dom Aug 26 alwayznice2u 5
ANR/ABF Relationship-ANY NORMAL PEOPLE OUT THERE? (Dec '10) Aug 26 alwayznice2u 29
Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]