Gay Marriage Debate - Coralville, IA

Discuss the national Gay Marriage debate in Coralville, IA.

Do you support gay marriage?

Coralville opposes
Oppose
 
15
Support
 
7

Vote now in Coralville:

“God Bless America ”

Since: Jan 07

Location hidden

#41 Jul 28, 2012
GlobeStar wrote:
Unfortunately, it doesn't work. In order for a marriage to be a real marriage, the two people involved must be of opposite sexes. Two people of the same sex cannot have children. Even if they didn't want to have children, they are incapable of having normal sexual relations. Those who try, often become ill with veneral diseases or viruses. They could use condoms to prevent all that, but still there would be non fullfillment to the relationship. This is why most homosexuals are not faithful in their relationships and take on other partners - because they are not reaching satisfaction in any relationship that wasn't meant to be, or is sexually dysfunctional. Those people are always carrying around a lot of stigma, guilt, and low self esteem, since they actually recognize that they are somehow inferior. It would be ideal if they could get reorinetation counseling and remap their lives accordingly, but most - unfortunately, are not willing to put forth that effort. The other alternative would be to practice celibacy, which is hard to do for most people, but nonetheless possible. There are many things which bring fullfillment in life aside from sex.
Excellent statement! I totally agree.

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#42 Jul 28, 2012
Logan wrote:
<quoted text>I suggest you buy a better dictionary.
Why?

What is your argument for a slave-loving society being more wholesome and moral than current society?

What is your counterargument to the fact that the reasons given to oppose homosexual rights are the same as those that were given to oppose black rights and women's rights?
no big O

Bolingbrook, IL

#43 Jul 28, 2012
Logan wrote:
<quoted text>Believe me, neither I nor any other want to be in your bedrooms! You are dishonest when you state all this has nothing to do with sex, for that is whole basis for your demands, so you can stop your little game. You have always had equal rights, and you know it. What you demand are special rights, the right to force the rest of us to acknowledge your sexual perversion as normal. Fear of change also has nothing to do with the issue.
You can marry who you want... they can not ... show the equality there,.

“God Bless America ”

Since: Jan 07

Location hidden

#44 Jul 28, 2012
no big O wrote:
<quoted text>
You can marry who you want... they can not ... show the equality there,.
Why should two of the same sex be allowed to marry? Marriage is for those of the opposite sex, and anyone who wants to have sex with one of the same gender and marry him/her has a mental defect.

Societies should be protected from depraved behaviour.

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#45 Jul 28, 2012
Logan wrote:
<quoted text>How low of you to insult Jesus. What does he have to do with this discussion?
Your anti-homosexual views are religious in origin, are they not? I was pointing out that the morality of the Bible, which condones slavery and treats women as property, is primitive. There is no reason to expect it to be a proper guide to ethics.
no big O

Bolingbrook, IL

#46 Jul 28, 2012
Logan wrote:
<quoted text>Why should two of the same sex be allowed to marry? Marriage is for those of the opposite sex, and anyone who wants to have sex with one of the same gender and marry him/her has a mental defect.
Societies should be protected from depraved behaviour.
A) marriage gives legal rights to citizens of the United States. Do you believe that a group of citizens should be denied equal rights simply because you do not approve of them?....
B)Marriage is a legal contract... no reason why a ssc should not be able to have the same legal contractual agreement as a osc.
C) Sorry been proven that homosexuality is not a mental issue... welcome to the new milenium...
D) how wold ssm harm you?.. you say society needs to be protected which implies harm... how would it harm you

“God Bless America ”

Since: Jan 07

Location hidden

#47 Jul 28, 2012
no big O wrote:
<quoted text>
A) marriage gives legal rights to citizens of the United States. Do you believe that a group of citizens should be denied equal rights simply because you do not approve of them?....
B)Marriage is a legal contract... no reason why a ssc should not be able to have the same legal contractual agreement as a osc.
C) Sorry been proven that homosexuality is not a mental issue... welcome to the new milenium...
D) how wold ssm harm you?.. you say society needs to be protected which implies harm... how would it harm you
Did I say homosexual perversion is a mental illness? I used the words "mental defect". That is not a reference to a mental illness. You should read more carefully. I have noticed you have a pattern of comprehending incorrectly. I most definitely agree it is not a mental illness, so gays cannot use that as an excuse for their deviant sexual behaviour.

As for my age to which you keep referring, are you really so ignorant that you think only older persons have moral values? Fortunately, there are some who still know the difference between right and wrong, even though most are like you, who believe it's old-fashioned to have self-respect and decency.
supporter

Beaverton, OR

#48 Jul 29, 2012
Logan wrote:
<quoted text>Believe me, neither I nor any other want to be in your bedrooms! You are dishonest when you state all this has nothing to do with sex, for that is whole basis for your demands, so you can stop your little game. You have always had equal rights, and you know it. What you demand are special rights, the right to force the rest of us to acknowledge your sexual perversion as normal. Fear of change also has nothing to do with the issue.
what equal rights? To marry, file jointly, have a say in medical crisis, allow for medical coverage. It's not a game and thier is nothing special were asking for just the same rights afforded to all. You make it about sex, not me. Chill out.

“God Bless America ”

Since: Jan 07

Location hidden

#49 Jul 29, 2012
supporter wrote:
<quoted text> what equal rights? To marry, file jointly, have a say in medical crisis, allow for medical coverage. It's not a game and thier is nothing special were asking for just the same rights afforded to all. You make it about sex, not me. Chill out.
They deserve no medical coverage under those circumstances. Let them do as the rest of us: get medical coverage on their own.
no big O

Bolingbrook, IL

#50 Jul 29, 2012
Logan wrote:
<quoted text>Did I say homosexual perversion is a mental illness? I used the words "mental defect". That is not a reference to a mental illness. You should read more carefully. I have noticed you have a pattern of comprehending incorrectly. I most definitely agree it is not a mental illness, so gays cannot use that as an excuse for their deviant sexual behaviour.
As for my age to which you keep referring, are you really so ignorant that you think only older persons have moral values? Fortunately, there are some who still know the difference between right and wrong, even though most are like you, who believe it's old-fashioned to have self-respect and decency.
Just so I know where you are coming from... what in your words is the definition of mental defect vs mental illness.
If it was a defect (broken, not normal) wouldn't it have been found by doctors. With MRI's CT's and the gammet of other high tech med. devices surely a defect would have been found by now.....

One thing I have noticed is that you fail to answer questions or rebutt statements put toward you.
A) I said Marriage was a legal contract at heart, so why should an ssc not be allowed to enter into that contract. Remenber the contract does not state man and women. The contract gives the two parties names... not mention of sex.. Please answer.
B)I asked why two u.s. citizens who happen to be a ssc should have fewer rights than a osc pair of u.s. citizens. Now dont say they have the same rights because until everyone can marry whom they want to the rights are not equal....so please give us your answer.
C)I asked how ssm would harm you... what harm would it cause society... actual harm not your harm which can not be proven.. i.e. moral decay. Please answer this....

no big O

Bolingbrook, IL

#51 Jul 29, 2012
Logan wrote:
<quoted text>They deserve no medical coverage under those circumstances. Let them do as the rest of us: get medical coverage on their own.
You said I need to comprehend... The poster said nothing about medical coverage, he said "have a say in medical crisis, allow for medical coverage. " If you are married and your spouse is in hospital and can not give consent to a proceedure, the right is given to the spouse... Now why should that not be afforded a ssc. Why should they be denied t he same rights as other u.s. citizens?....

So you agree they do not get the same rights. If married tax breaks are given.. you said they do not deserve them... are they not u.s. citizens?

“God Bless America ”

Since: Jan 07

Location hidden

#52 Jul 29, 2012
The_Box wrote:
<quoted text>
Your anti-homosexual views are religious in origin, are they not? I was pointing out that the morality of the Bible, which condones slavery and treats women as property, is primitive. There is no reason to expect it to be a proper guide to ethics.
No, my views come naturally. Although I agree with the Biblical condemnation of it, I would still feel as I do without the backup of the Bible. Biblical morality is not primitive. People today make that deceitful claim solely because the Bible condemns sin. Interesting how all gays and those who support them have some kind of need to put down the Bible, yet never say a word about other religions doing the same as the Bible. What about Islam? Muslim nations to this day execute gays, but the Christian religion is the only one you attack. Why is that?

“God Bless America ”

Since: Jan 07

Location hidden

#53 Jul 29, 2012
no big O wrote:
<quoted text>
Just so I know where you are coming from... what in your words is the definition of mental defect vs mental illness.
If it was a defect (broken, not normal) wouldn't it have been found by doctors. With MRI's CT's and the gammet of other high tech med. devices surely a defect would have been found by now.....
One thing I have noticed is that you fail to answer questions or rebutt statements put toward you.
A) I said Marriage was a legal contract at heart, so why should an ssc not be allowed to enter into that contract. Remenber the contract does not state man and women. The contract gives the two parties names... not mention of sex.. Please answer.
B)I asked why two u.s. citizens who happen to be a ssc should have fewer rights than a osc pair of u.s. citizens. Now dont say they have the same rights because until everyone can marry whom they want to the rights are not equal....so please give us your answer.
C)I asked how ssm would harm you... what harm would it cause society... actual harm not your harm which can not be proven.. i.e. moral decay. Please answer this....
I have answered reasonable questions; I am not repeatedly answering the same questions. You have my answers.
joe sixpak

Gardnerville, NV

#54 Jul 29, 2012
hoow come is it that ioways is now filled up with gay-preverts? i thowght the worst thing Iowanians ever did was to have a one night stand with there sheep at the FFA rodeo?
no big O

Bolingbrook, IL

#55 Jul 29, 2012
Logan wrote:
<quoted text>I have answered reasonable questions; I am not repeatedly answering the same questions. You have my answers.
Really

Ok.. make your life easier, simply post the post # where you answered those questions.... if you can find them that is... good luck with that

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#56 Jul 30, 2012
Logan wrote:
<quoted text>No, my views come naturally. Although I agree with the Biblical condemnation of it, I would still feel as I do without the backup of the Bible.
I doubt it.
Logan wrote:
Biblical morality is not primitive. People today make that deceitful claim solely because the Bible condemns sin.
The Bible condones slavery, genocide, and rape. It's primitive.
Logan wrote:
Interesting how all gays and those who support them have some kind of need to put down the Bible, yet never say a word about other religions doing the same as the Bible. What about Islam? Muslim nations to this day execute gays, but the Christian religion is the only one you attack. Why is that?
Because Islam is irrelevant in the US. Muslims are not the driving force behind discrimination against gays.

“God Bless America ”

Since: Jan 07

Location hidden

#57 Jul 30, 2012
The_Box wrote:
<quoted text>
I doubt it.
<quoted text>
The Bible condones slavery, genocide, and rape. It's primitive.
<quoted text>
Because Islam is irrelevant in the US. Muslims are not the driving force behind discrimination against gays.
Gays are not discriminated against in this country; rather, Christians are. Your gross lifestyle is invading every facet of society, and you dare to proclaim you are discriminated against? Who--besides the gullible fools who imagine it makes them look good to be liberal-- do you suppose believes that?

You are biased against the Bible because you know it's right and it offends you. It does not condone genocide or rape. Slavery was a part of life then, prevalent in all cultures; Christianity neither condoned nor approved it. If you choose to reject the Bible and your only way to avoid Hell, you, of course, are free to do so; but must you sneer at those who do accept it? Does it make you feel good to malign it? How can you be so hypocritical as to put down Christians as if they aren't entitled to civil rights while demanding gays be given more? Why be so petty? You demand equal rights, the rights you already have, and deny those same rights to Christians. Your arguments and incessant complaining are tiresome.
Amazing that you choose to ignore Muslims regarding homosexuality with the flimsy excuse you offer. Contrary to what you said, due to the ignorance of liberal Americans, Islam unfortunately is making headway in this country, which means you may soon have to contend with it. If that happens, you will then understand what real freedom is, for it will no longer exist; so what will happen to the rights of gays? Christianity only condemns homosexuality but Islam demands homosexuals be killed; and you don't feel offended by Islam. You have a strange way of thinking.

“God Bless America ”

Since: Jan 07

Location hidden

#58 Jul 30, 2012
no big O wrote:
<quoted text>
Really
Ok.. make your life easier, simply post the post # where you answered those questions.... if you can find them that is... good luck with that
Aren't you feeling a little ridiculous with your childish harassment of me? You're wasting your time.

“God Bless America ”

Since: Jan 07

Location hidden

#59 Jul 30, 2012
The_Box wrote:
<quoted text>
Why?
What is your argument for a slave-loving society being more wholesome and moral than current society?
What is your counterargument to the fact that the reasons given to oppose homosexual rights are the same as those that were given to oppose black rights and women's rights?
"What is your counterargument to the fact that the reasons given to oppose homosexual rights are the same as those that were given to oppose black rights and women's rights?"--Do you really believe that lie or is that just one of your tactics to confuse the general public? You have nerve, comparing the civil rights of blacks and women with perversion.

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#60 Jul 30, 2012
Logan wrote:
<quoted text>Gays are not discriminated against in this country; rather, Christians are.
You're delusional. Gays face marriage discrimination, employment discrimination, housing discrimination, and are treated poorly by a significant portion of the population.

Christians face none of that.
Logan wrote:
You are biased against the Bible because you know it's right and it offends you.
The Bible is a document full of absurdities and atrocities. It hardly gets anything right.
Logan wrote:
It does not condone genocide or rape.
The Israelite god routinely tells his people to wipe out other groups (genocide). Sometimes he tells them to keep the virgin girls as spoils of war (rape).
Logan wrote:
Slavery was a part of life then, prevalent in all cultures; Christianity neither condoned nor approved it.
Murder is prevalent in all cultures. The Bible god made a commandment against that. Why didn't god, in the OT or the NT, tell his followers that owning people was bad? Why does god, in the OT, command his followers to enslave people? This is not a neutral position.
Logan wrote:
If you choose to reject the Bible and your only way to avoid Hell, you, of course, are free to do so; but must you sneer at those who do accept it? Does it make you feel good to malign it?
Hell is fictional. The Bible should be maligned so our society can move past superstitious nonsense.
Logan wrote:
How can you be so hypocritical as to put down Christians as if they aren't entitled to civil rights while demanding gays be given more?
There is no civil right to avoid criticism of your beliefs. If you don't want your beliefs to be ridiculed, perhaps you should adopt less silly ones.
Logan wrote:
Amazing that you choose to ignore Muslims regarding homosexuality with the flimsy excuse you offer.
Flimsy excuse?

Islam has NO SIGNIFICANCE on the treatment of homosexuals in this country. This fact demolishes your argument.
Logan wrote:
Contrary to what you said, due to the ignorance of liberal Americans, Islam unfortunately is making headway in this country, which means you may soon have to contend with it.
Muslims make up less than 1% of the American populace. You think that's relevant compared to the ~75% that are Christians?
Logan wrote:
If that happens, you will then understand what real freedom is, for it will no longer exist; so what will happen to the rights of gays? Christianity only condemns homosexuality but Islam demands homosexuals be killed; and you don't feel offended by Islam. You have a strange way of thinking.
Who said anything about being offended? This is about practicality. What group is preventing gays from being treated equally in this country? Conservative Christians. Period.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Coralville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Gay Men in Cedar Rapids Sat EliBee 3
Property owner's complaint could delay Liberty ... Dec 16 Julie VanDyke 1
Erdogan: women are not equal to men Dec 13 tom_ 28
Free Moshi Monster Accounts (Jun '12) Dec 3 Sophie 94
Landlords (May '14) Dec 1 Boris 2
Iowa woman locked up after locked out of home Nov 29 Spotted Girl 13
Protesters unite in Iowa City in support of Fer... Nov 27 Hatfield 1
Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]