Gay Marriage Debate - Chicago, IL

Discuss the national Gay Marriage debate in Chicago, IL.

Do you support gay marriage?

Chicago supports
Support
 
1,103
Oppose
 
306

Vote now in Chicago:

Comments (Page 98)

Showing posts 1,941 - 1,960 of2,011
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
come on now

Bolingbrook, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2044
Jan 8, 2013
 
Brian_G wrote:
Same sex marriage rewrites marriage laws for everyone, not just homosexuals. It would change the way children are taught about marriage in schools, the way your Church is treated by the public and create a new body of divorce and adoption law.
What school teaches about marraige?
How would the way the church is treated be affected?
The divorce laws wouldnt change... ssc adopt so no change there

Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2045
Jan 8, 2013
 
Brian_G wrote:
Same sex marriage rewrites marriage laws for everyone, not just homosexuals. It would change the way children are taught about marriage in schools, the way your Church is treated by the public and create a new body of divorce and adoption law.
Since when is there a class for students on marriage?

The public doesn't treat a church in any way. A church is a private, tax exempt entity.

As for divorce and adoption laws, why would they change? In what way?

Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2046
Jan 8, 2013
 
come on now wrote:
<quoted text>
What school teaches about marraige?
How would the way the church is treated be affected?
The divorce laws wouldnt change... ssc adopt so no change there
We both must have been typing almost at the same time with the same thoughts. I don't understand people who cannot grasp simple logic. Do you?
come on now

Bolingbrook, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2047
Jan 8, 2013
 
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
We both must have been typing almost at the same time with the same thoughts. I don't understand people who cannot grasp simple logic. Do you?
Brian's, and people like him, reasons are so ill concieved and non logical that anyone with half a brain cell will ask the same questions debunking them... not saying you or I have just have a brain cell but u understand...

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2048
Jan 8, 2013
 
If your church preaches marriage as between one man and one woman; after same sex marriage you will be treated as if you belong to a hate group like the KKK.

Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2049
Jan 9, 2013
 
Brian_G wrote:
If your church preaches marriage as between one man and one woman; after same sex marriage you will be treated as if you belong to a hate group like the KKK.
You're not even making sense now. Reread what you typed and try to express it more clearly.

Since: Jun 11

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2050
Jan 9, 2013
 
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
Since when is there a class for students on marriage?
The public doesn't treat a church in any way. A church is a private, tax exempt entity.
As for divorce and adoption laws, why would they change? In what way?
Fear, especially fear that children will learn there are gay people, and they want to be treated like everyone else, is a primary tool of those opposed to treating everyone equally under the law. Empty bumper sticker slogans are another.

Because there are no logical, rational, or scientifically supportable justifications for prejudice and discrimination, they are left with fear and pejorative terminology to justify and promote their irrational prejudice.

Since: Jun 11

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2051
Jan 9, 2013
 
Treating gay people equally under the current laws in effect does not alter those laws beyond the inclusion of gay people. The marriages of straight people are not altered in any way. No changes to any of the laws about child custody, divorce, or adoption are necessary when gay people are treated equally under the law. That is why it is called Marriage Equality.

Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2052
Jan 9, 2013
 
Not Yet Equal wrote:
Treating gay people equally under the current laws in effect does not alter those laws beyond the inclusion of gay people. The marriages of straight people are not altered in any way. No changes to any of the laws about child custody, divorce, or adoption are necessary when gay people are treated equally under the law. That is why it is called Marriage Equality.
But, but -- the kids! ;)

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2053
Jan 9, 2013
 
Our laws have always written that marriage is gender diverse, until the 21st Century. Then, marriage changed from gender integration to gender segregation. In that sense; same sex marriage is like racism.

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2054
Jan 9, 2013
 
Toj wrote:
You're not even making sense now. Reread what you typed and try to express it more clearly.
It's very clear; if same sex marriage is legalized those groups that consider marriage should be between man and woman will become outside the norm. Then, if you belong to a church that holds marriage as male/female; you will be treated as if you belong to a hate group like the KKK.
smartest

Ashburn, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2055
Jan 9, 2013
 
Gays are cool in their own ways....connect with gays here http://bit.ly/VKKaW2

Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2056
Jan 9, 2013
 
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>It's very clear; if same sex marriage is legalized those groups that consider marriage should be between man and woman will become outside the norm. Then, if you belong to a church that holds marriage as male/female; you will be treated as if you belong to a hate group like the KKK.
You're screwy. It's called a "difference of opinion". There are churches right now who are against capital punishment in states where capital punishment is available. Same thing.

We do not and cannot run this country worrying about each religious group. If someone goes after a religious group out of hatred b/c of their beliefs, it is then a hate crime.

So, really -- you make no sense at all. Do you see that?

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2057
Jan 9, 2013
 
Same sex marriage would make churches preaching marriage as male/female like a hate group so attending services might be considered a hate crime.

It's like in the old days, if your church taught racial segregation, they would be shut down by public opinion. Instead, now we have gender segregated marriage like apartheid.
come on now

Bolingbrook, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2058
Jan 9, 2013
 
Brian_G wrote:
Same sex marriage would make churches preaching marriage as male/female like a hate group so attending services might be considered a hate crime.
It's like in the old days, if your church taught racial segregation, they would be shut down by public opinion. Instead, now we have gender segregated marriage like apartheid.
What church was shut down by public opinion?.... back that statement up.
Oh wait.. you just throw out these nonsensical "bombs" copyand past to several threads... and dont bother backing them up... sorry my bad to ask you to.

Since: Jun 11

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2059
Jan 9, 2013
 
Brian_G wrote:
Our laws have always written that marriage is gender diverse, until the 21st Century. Then, marriage changed from gender integration to gender segregation. In that sense; same sex marriage is like racism.
Irrational appeal to emotion, misuse of terminology to inflame and defame.

Every two person marriage excludes all others. Yet this is not segregation, apartheid, or racism, and the suggestion it is, is outrageous at best.

While denial of marriage equality is an expression of prejudice and discrimination, allowing gay people to participate under the same laws, expands the institution rather than restricting it.

Since: Jun 11

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2060
Jan 9, 2013
 
Brian_G wrote:
Same sex marriage would make churches preaching marriage as male/female like a hate group so attending services might be considered a hate crime.
It's like in the old days, if your church taught racial segregation, they would be shut down by public opinion. Instead, now we have gender segregated marriage like apartheid.
More irrational fear of the future coupled with irrational appeal to emotion and misuse of terminology to inflame and defame.

Hate crimes are enhancements of crimes already on the books. They do not include expressions of prejudice or even promotion of discrimination under the law.

But whether more states and countries recognize marriage equality or not, it is the refusal to treat others as you would yourself under the law that makes some churches look like the hateful churches of the past and present that still promote racial discrimination and apartheid.

Prejudice is prejudice whether enshrined in the law or not.

While denial of marriage equality is an expression of prejudice and discrimination, allowing gay people to participate under the same laws, expands the institution rather than restricting it.

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2061
Jan 9, 2013
 
Not Yet Equal wrote:
Irrational appeal to emotion, misuse of terminology to inflame and defame.
By definition; same sex marriage is gender segregation marriage. It's like the separatists who don't want blacks to marry whites - it removes the gender integration requirement from marriage.

.
Not Yet Equal wrote:
Every two person marriage excludes all others. Yet this is not segregation, apartheid, or racism, and the suggestion it is, is outrageous at best.
The true consequence of same sex marriage is to allow "every two person marriage" including incest marriage, pedophile marriage, and forced contract marriage. Same sex marriage is the road to anarchy.

.
Not Yet Equal wrote:
While denial of marriage equality is an expression of prejudice and discrimination, allowing gay people to participate under the same laws, expands the institution rather than restricting it.
Gay people have always enjoyed the right to marry under the same laws as everyone else. They don't want equal rights but instead desire special rights to redefine marriage for everyone.

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2062
Jan 9, 2013
 
Not Yet Equal wrote:
More irrational fear of the future coupled with irrational appeal to emotion and misuse of terminology to inflame and defame.
Hate crimes are enhancements of crimes already on the books. They do not include expressions of prejudice or even promotion of discrimination under the law.
But whether more states and countries recognize marriage equality or not, it is the refusal to treat others as you would yourself under the law that makes some churches look like the hateful churches of the past and present that still promote racial discrimination and apartheid.
Prejudice is prejudice whether enshrined in the law or not.
While denial of marriage equality is an expression of prejudice and discrimination, allowing gay people to participate under the same laws, expands the institution rather than restricting it.
They will accuse your church of 'hate crimes' if same sex marriage becomes law; and publish your names in newspapers as if you belonged to the KKK.
come on now

Bolingbrook, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2063
Jan 9, 2013
 
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>They will accuse your church of 'hate crimes' if same sex marriage becomes law; and publish your names in newspapers as if you belonged to the KKK.
Funny thing ... with church and state.. hate crime would not be possible..
Begining to sound like chicken little there... the sky will fall if ssm is allowed... so many bad things will happen

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1,941 - 1,960 of2,011
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Jobs

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]