Gay Marriage Debate - Brandon, FL

Discuss the national Gay Marriage debate in Brandon, FL.

Do you support gay marriage?

Brandon opposes
Oppose
 
51
Support
 
38

Vote now in Brandon:

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Darlene

Port Richey, FL

#1 Jul 30, 2010
I believe in Civil Unions but fear that Gay marriage is moving in the wrong direction. Should we start allowing more then 2 people to marry?
Matt

Balm, FL

#2 Aug 1, 2010
why is it bad?

“Marriage=Love+Co mmitment.....”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#4 Aug 2, 2010
Darlene wrote:
I believe in Civil Unions but fear that Gay marriage is moving in the wrong direction. Should we start allowing more then 2 people to marry?
How about we make the license everyone gets from the government a civil union, then you can go get married in your church if you choose to? That's the only way civil unions are fair; if they extend the same rights to everyone.

Allowing gay marriage will lead to polygamy is a straw man argument. It makes no sense. Polygamy has been around far longer than one man-one woman marriage and is still practiced in many cultures. Biblical marriage is almost always polygamy. While it is supposed to be illegal in this country, it is rarely if ever prosecuted unless there is under age girls or coercion involved.

In other words, poly marriage has far more similarity to straight marriage than gay marriage.

“Marriage=Love+Co mmitment.....”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#5 Aug 2, 2010
mariasm wrote:
Because it is against moral principles and the most importantly against the words of bible.
Folks, this person is spamming multiple threads with adds, which they are no doubt getting paid to do. This is against Topix terms of service. Report this person wherever you see her.
mac

UK

#6 Aug 2, 2010
I think marriage as an institution has been attacked by 'liberals' in society for forty years now and the whole gay marriage thing is just another line of attack imo.
The more the ideal of marriage is watered down the more divided and fractured society will become.
Marriage as an institution is the UNION BETWEEN A MAN AND A WOMEN. However, I think civil unions are gay peoples right.
I think children should not be brought up in a homosexual envoirment, this notion is putting homo rights above children's rights and I resent the attack on hetrosexuality by homosexual and liberal groups.
There is no reason why homosexual unions should not be recognised in society but the dynamics in homo-hetro relationship are not the same and giving gays marriage 'rights' will not have the desired effect of giving gays 'respect' in society quite the oppostite.
Since civil unions were introduced in the UK attacks on homosexuals have went up 25% even though it has been made a criminal offense in it's own right.
This is causing a general resentment of gays throughout society and will have the opposite effect than is intended.
I personally think society has a right to say no to this demand and we shouldn't be emotionally blackmailed and conned into accepting the erosion of who we really are to pander to a small group who get far to much attention when real marriage is attacked by the same people who are supporting gays 'right' to 'marry'
Simply put, it is not very nice to a straight person and never will be.
Keith

United States

#7 Aug 2, 2010
Darlene wrote:
I believe in Civil Unions but fear that Gay marriage is moving in the wrong direction. Should we start allowing more then 2 people to marry?
Since when did polyogomy(forgive my spelling)become a legal issue in gay rights?
kari

Darlington, SC

#8 Aug 7, 2010
marriage is for a man and a woman

“Marriage=Love+Co mmitment.....”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#9 Aug 8, 2010
kari wrote:
marriage is for a man and a woman
Why?
Cheryl

Brooklyn, NY

#10 Aug 20, 2010
read the bible - OT and NT

“Marriage=Love+Co mmitment.....”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#11 Aug 20, 2010
Cheryl wrote:
read the bible - OT and NT
Read it. It does not say that and the Bible does not dictate civil law in this country.
Ashok

Tampa, FL

#13 Sep 5, 2010
should not be encouraged and banned...this will stop the reproduction of next generation
Tapix

Hudson, FL

#14 Jan 17, 2012
Ashok wrote:
should not be encouraged and banned...this will stop the reproduction of next generation
the world is already overpopulated enough. In fact, some people speculate that homosexuality is nature's way of saying, "Hold up, we need to keep these guys from popping out bajillions of babies."
Also, there are plenty of heterosexual couples out there who more than compensate for the homosexuals.
AND some homosexual couples have and/or raise their own children. So.
Abelle

Brandon, FL

#15 Jan 17, 2012
since when was Marriage a Christian thing? it's been around way before Christianity and established by the polytheistic early civilizations by their religions.

and same sex marriage was definitely allowed.

way to make a good bunch of the population feel like second class citizens, opposers.

I am a human, and all I want is happiness. I don't want to live my life in regret because others are afraid of difference.
Roxy

New Port Richey, FL

#16 Jan 17, 2012
Why is this still an issue? Get over it, people. Gay people aren't going anywhere.
Jessi

Port Richey, FL

#17 Jan 17, 2012
Marriage is about love. And love is not about gender, religious beliefs, or politics. If those of the gay/lesbian community want to get married and raise a family, no one has the right to stand in their way of happiness and stop them. They won't go away. So get over it. =)
Kayla Westfall

Tampa, FL

#18 Jan 17, 2012
Marriage is a human right, not a heterosexual privilege. It's unconstitutional and against the Declaration of Independence. They're protesting against doing what our founding fathers based this country off of.
Amanda

New Port Richey, FL

#19 Jan 17, 2012
It isn't going to hurt you. If you don't like gay marriage, don't get one.
Tianna Schwab

Tampa, FL

#20 Jan 17, 2012
You are who you are. You fall in Love without expecting it. Everyone should have the right to marry whomever they choose because its their life and their rite to be happy
Linda Falkner

Auburndale, FL

#21 Jan 17, 2012
I'm a mental health counselor at Cheer Counseling. We see many couples who have marital problems for various reasons. I can't remember a single incident where a couple had marriage problems because of a gay neighbor. It's nonsense to blame gays if your marriage is in trouble.
www.cheercounseling.com
Sara

Brandon, FL

#22 Jan 18, 2012
mac wrote:
I think marriage as an institution has been attacked by 'liberals' in society for forty years now and the whole gay marriage thing is just another line of attack imo.
The more the ideal of marriage is watered down the more divided and fractured society will become.
Marriage as an institution is the UNION BETWEEN A MAN AND A WOMEN. However, I think civil unions are gay peoples right.
I think children should not be brought up in a homosexual envoirment, this notion is putting homo rights above children's rights and I resent the attack on hetrosexuality by homosexual and liberal groups.
There is no reason why homosexual unions should not be recognised in society but the dynamics in homo-hetro relationship are not the same and giving gays marriage 'rights' will not have the desired effect of giving gays 'respect' in society quite the oppostite.
Since civil unions were introduced in the UK attacks on homosexuals have went up 25% even though it has been made a criminal offense in it's own right.
This is causing a general resentment of gays throughout society and will have the opposite effect than is intended.
I personally think society has a right to say no to this demand and we shouldn't be emotionally blackmailed and conned into accepting the erosion of who we really are to pander to a small group who get far to much attention when real marriage is attacked by the same people who are supporting gays 'right' to 'marry'
Simply put, it is not very nice to a straight person and never will be.
I agree, giving gays marriage rights will not get them respect but neither does giving heterosexuals marriage rights get them respect. Respect is earned by the content of your character and isn't simply due to your sexual orientation.
In no way does raising children in an environment with homosexuals make childrens' rights any less important and homosexual rights any more important. Just like if children were raised up in an environment with heterosexuals. This would not mean heterosexual rights would be any more significant than the childrens'. And you seem to be insinuating that since civil unions have been introduced in the UK and attacks on homosexuals have gone up, the fact that the attacks are labeled a crime is what is causing others to resent gays. I believe that hate against homosexuals is largely due to uneducated preconceived notions, peoples' own interpretations of holy books used as an excuse for this intolerance, and just the fear of something unfamiliar to most, in which case it is easier to just label this "different" thing as a threat. And just because the homosexual community is smaller than some other community, does that mean that they are any less deserving and their rights any less important? Should any minority be overlooked and pushed away just because they comprise of a smaller number of people? The big problem here is a lack of understanding, knowledge, and not being able to convey views in a respectable dignified manner because we're so hell-bent on rushing to conclusions.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Brandon Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
FL August 23 Florida Primary Election: Will you vote? (Aug '10) 55 min marty 2,511
FL 2010 Florida Governor Race Election Results a "... (Nov '10) 2 hr noshellswill 2,977
New construction? Sep 17 sue 8
dover area gangs and plant city (Jul '09) Sep 16 fuhkuall 3
Review: Late Hour Urgent Care Ctr - Luis A Agui... (Jan '11) Sep 11 DMR 3
'100 percent authentic Mexican' Taco Rey expand... Sep 11 Seth Ashford 2
Seffner shooting suspect arrested in Plant City Sep 6 M kish 1

Brandon Jobs

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]