Swift action urged at climate talks

Nov 27, 2011 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Independent.ie

The latest round of United Nations climate talks starting in South Africa this week look set to be dominated by disputes over negotiating a new international treaty to tackle global warming.

Comments
1 - 11 of 11 Comments Last updated Dec 1, 2011

“@FrankLeePlain”

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 28, 2011

Get the facts about the disinformation campaign to create doubt about climate science:
http://plainhonesttruth.blogspot.com/2011/11/...
Envo

Belle Glade, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 28, 2011

Judged:

Global warming must be stopped!
Wondering

Saltillo, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 29, 2011

Envo wrote:
Global warming must be stopped!
How, pray tell.We humans are too insignificant to matter.
Northie

Spokane, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 29, 2011

Good luck to the delegates on getting any agreement on finances:

http://tinyurl.com/bw36alt
Northie

Spokane, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 29, 2011

Wondering wrote:
<quoted text>How, pray tell.We humans are too insignificant to matter.
That does seem to be the evangelical, conservative Christian line.

On the other hand, every major national scientific academy, every relevant scientific society and 98% of publishing climatologists say this is our responsibility.

Owning up to one's responsibilities is part of the Christian deal, isn't it?

Since: Jul 07

Newport News, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 29, 2011

Judged:

nothing will be accomplished at durban, as it well should be. for the developed nations to fork over billions of dollars for their "sins" of carbon emissions, is simply massive global income redistribution. oh yeah, and they don't have any money anymore anyway!
Wondering

Saltillo, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 30, 2011

Northie ;I am not causing the trouble in the African Nations.My home is heated with natural gas and my electricity is from dams in Tenn.No pollution there.I use less than a gal. of gas a day to go to work,so I am not the cause.Globel warming is a natural occurance,and in a few hundred years there will be a cool spell probably.Quit worrying,and chill out.

“@FrankLeePlain”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 30, 2011

Judged:

Northie wrote:
<quoted text>
That does seem to be the evangelical, conservative Christian line.
On the other hand, every major national scientific academy, every relevant scientific society and 98% of publishing climatologists say this is our responsibility.
Owning up to one's responsibilities is part of the Christian deal, isn't it?
I'm a Christian, and it saddens me that so many of my fellow Christians refuse to face the truth about climate change. I would like to think that climate deniers are an outspoken minority among Christians. At least there are are some Christian groups who understand our responsibility of stewardship.
http://www.climatestewards.net/cs-int-en/home...

Since: Jul 07

Newport News, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 1, 2011

Judged:

Frank Lee Plain wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm a Christian, and it saddens me that so many of my fellow Christians refuse to face the truth about climate change. I would like to think that climate deniers are an outspoken minority among Christians. At least there are are some Christian groups who understand our responsibility of stewardship.
http://www.climatestewards.net/cs-int-en/home...
what is the TRUTH about climate change? if the science is so overwhelmingly strong, then why do the scientists have to LIE about it? why do they try to squelch those who disagree with them? and the arrogance of saying you can control any perceived temperature rise by taxing the hell out of rich nations is lunacy. even the catastrophe believers best predictions are that after spending trillions, you will have slowed such perceived rise by what, 1.5 degrees? give me a break. your arguments are dissolving...

“@FrankLeePlain”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 1, 2011

GoodNewz wrote:
<quoted text>
what is the TRUTH about climate change? if the science is so overwhelmingly strong, then why do the scientists have to LIE about it?...
1. they don't have to lie:
National Science Foundation Investigation Clears Climate Change Researcher
http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/08/24/nat...

Climate change scandal: MPs exonerate professor
http://www.independent.co.uk/environment/clim...

2. I'm not for taxing the rich; I'm for the US developing a realistic and economically responsible transition from fossil fuels. This would mean drilling for domestic oil in the short run, exploiting domestic natural gas resources in the intermediate term, and investing in clean energy so that we can transition away from fossil fuels over the next 20-30 years.
Northie

Spokane, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 1, 2011

Judged:

Wondering wrote:
Northie ;I am not causing the trouble in the African Nations.My home is heated with natural gas and my electricity is from dams in Tenn.No pollution there.I use less than a gal. of gas a day to go to work,so I am not the cause.Globel warming is a natural occurance,and in a few hundred years there will be a cool spell probably.Quit worrying,and chill out.
Sad to say, we are all causing climate disaster in the African Sahel and many other parts of the subtropics--Mississippi included, as warming expands the subtropic dry belt (the "Hadley cell") and more storms impact the Gulf Coast as well.

Meanwhile, only some of your power comes from hydro. As much comes from coal, which, according to NASA senior scientist James Hansen, is 80% of the climate problem.

http://www.tva.gov/sites/allen.htm

I'm not pointing fingers. We all pollute, and most of us can't change it overnight. But we will change, burning less coal, living closer to cities, eating less beef and dairy (I, too, love burgers and shakes, but cattle are methane machines). Small changes, really, but we must make them. There is no choice but the most basic one; to be or not to be.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Durban, South Africa Discussions

Search the Durban, South Africa Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Ngifuna ipipi bo (Jan '14) 18 hr Mlu 84
gay / bi bbm pins DURBAN 20 hr smokeman 1
Sugar baby needs a Sugar daddy..mcwaaah (Oct '13) Aug 16 pearl 38
Pill to put pep into men's sex lives (Feb '13) Aug 16 klosejames 10
NSA sex buddies? (Feb '14) Aug 16 Theuns 15
Abortion 0725146813 Aug 15 Dr Amza 1
How i got rich Aug 13 Mr tony 1
•••
•••