Funabashi, Japan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 8, 2009

Cheki wrote:
could someone please translate the following?
Ndinuda kuti uyite mukadzi wangu
I have no idea what this says and I apologize in advance if it is anything vulgar. It is a message from a male friend who most certainly thinks I will NEVER know what it means. Thank you.
ndinoda I want
uyite you to be
mukadzi wife
wangu mine

I want you to be my wife
tmazz

Funabashi, Japan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 8, 2009

John Marehlio wrote:
You're beautifull into shona
thanks very much
john from Holland
wakanaka You are beautiful

Uri tsvarakadenga
(this one is proverbial)
tmazz

Kamagaya, Japan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 8, 2009

hi haters wrote:
<quoted text>Tmazz I am trying to learn this language, my BF is zim and I have bought a book that was recommended (beginners shona) but i am having a hard time grasping it. He just teaches me phrases or words.
hey long time. My aplogies i never got to help you with the stuff u needed. But I have found a site that handles the same.Hope it helps
http://www.shonalanguage.info/index.htm
tmazz

Kamagaya, Japan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 8, 2009

To all those who are interested in learning Shona i bumped into this helpful website. Hope it helps

http://www.shonalanguage.info/index.htm

Since: Dec 09

Sydney, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 9, 2009

Please translate "public relations expert" into Shona for me.

One of Zimbabwean friends refers to himself in this way and I want to surprise him by using the Shona expression when I email him.
tmazz

Kamagaya, Japan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 9, 2009

Sekuru wrote:
Please translate "public relations expert" into Shona for me.
One of Zimbabwean friends refers to himself in this way and I want to surprise him by using the Shona expression when I email him.
its a tricky one, but here is my attempt;
mazvikokota wezvekudyidzana neveruzhinji

tell me how it goes

Since: Dec 08

UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 9, 2009

tmazz wrote:
<quoted text>
its a tricky one, but here is my attempt;
mazvikokota wezvekudyidzana neveruzhinji
tell me how it goes
I couldn't put it any better myself....

Sydney, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 9, 2009

Ndeipi tmazz and De Minimus,
Thank you for the translation and the confirmation.
My three vazukuru think that I am too old to be trying to learn their language. They find the whole process quite amusing.
Please help me to understand how you have constructed "public relations expert" by explaining the meaning of each of the words "mazvikokota wezvekudyidzana neveruzhinji".
Ndatenda. Uzvichengetedze.
tmazz

Kamagaya, Japan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 9, 2009

Sekuru wrote:
Ndeipi tmazz and De Minimus,
Thank you for the translation and the confirmation.
My three vazukuru think that I am too old to be trying to learn their language. They find the whole process quite amusing.
Please help me to understand how you have constructed "public relations expert" by explaining the meaning of each of the words "mazvikokota wezvekudyidzana neveruzhinji".
Ndatenda. Uzvichengetedze.
The reason why that was tricky is the Zimbawean education system is in English and thus there has not been any need for Shona translations for technical words or a phrase like that one.
mazvikokota- expert
we- in/of
zvekudyidzana- relations/interaction(s)
ne- with/to
veruzhinji- public

Sydney, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 9, 2009

tmazz wrote:
<quoted text>
The reason why that was tricky is the Zimbawean education system is in English and thus there has not been any need for Shona translations for technical words or a phrase like that one.
mazvikokota- expert
we- in/of
ne- with/to
veruzhinji- public
Aaaah tmazz!
Adafa nekuseka! This is perfect. It is exactly what I want.
I cannot wait for my muzukuru's reaction.
Things are tough in Zim but he has a wonderful ability to negotiate the best deals for himself and his brothers.
He knows that my Shona is rudimentary. He will wonder how I came up with mazvikokota wezvekudyidzana neveruzhinji.
We won't tell him, eh?
Vevhudzi chena ndivo vane mazano.
tmazz

Kamagaya, Japan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 9, 2009

Sekuru wrote:
<quoted text>
Aaaah tmazz!
Adafa nekuseka! This is perfect. It is exactly what I want.
I cannot wait for my muzukuru's reaction.
Things are tough in Zim but he has a wonderful ability to negotiate the best deals for himself and his brothers.
He knows that my Shona is rudimentary. He will wonder how I came up with mazvikokota wezvekudyidzana neveruzhinji.
We won't tell him, eh?
Vevhudzi chena ndivo vane mazano.
Sekuru your Shona sounds deep. How long have you been learning

Sydney, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 10, 2009

tmazz wrote:
<quoted text>
Sekuru your Shona sounds deep. How long have you been learning
Ah tmazz,
Don't be fooled by this mudhara who is full of tricks.
I have only been learning Shona since I visited Zim a few months ago.
I have purchased a couple of dictionaries, a phrase book and a book on grammar. At present, I am trying to figure out how sentences are constructed and I am puzzled by stray letters that seem to creep into words as the different parts are added. I bought a 'Learn Shona' CD online. I am now putting all my efforts into mastering its contents to provide me with a foundation to build on.
I readily confess that any sophisticated sentences that I have written above I have copied from books or from others.
Nonetheless, I am serious about learning Shona. I think that, if I am going to understand the people, their spirit and their culture, I have to begin with their language.
I really appreciate your assistance. Please put up with my child-like attempts and help me to get it right.

UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 10, 2009

tmazz wrote:
<quoted text>
mazvikokota- expert
we- in/of
ne- with/to
veruzhinji- public
Sekuru vanenge mazvikokota chaiye. Without reinventing the wheel too much, the reason certain words do not have shona translations is because they never existed in the shona language in the first place. A good example would be a word like "corner". Construction was historically oval/circular/round. The settlers introduced us to the corner. The shona word for it became "gonyo". This is in line with how one would describe a sweet potato (mbambaira). We say "yakagonya" to describe its structure. Shona however classes words like gonyo as "derivitives". The clue and logic are in the title. Many derivitives are now acceptable in the shona O'level/A'level syllabus. Other words include motokari, waya etc etc.

This is what I remember from school. It was a long time ago though so if I have distorted the facts or missed the point completely, I trust you will set the record straight. Have a good one bhururu...

Sydney, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 11, 2009

I have received an email from a friend who has signed off with anodikanwa Rufaro.
I don't recognise the word anodikanwa.
What does it mean?
How is it constructed?

Sydney, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 11, 2009

In my notes I have written the words 'bvuma wasakara'.
However, I can't remember the context in which I came across them and I am unable to translate them.
What does this expression mean?
How are the words constructed?

UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 11, 2009

Sekuru wrote:
I have received an email from a friend who has signed off with anodikanwa Rufaro.
What does it mean?
How is it constructed?
anodikanwa Rufaro - loved one, Rufaro

UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 11, 2009

Sekuru wrote:
However, I can't remember the context in which I came across them and I am unable to translate them.
Bvuma wasakara is a the title to an Oliver Mtukudzi song. It literraly translates to - Accept it (bvuma), you are old (wasakara). I have come across humourous uses of this phrase as a means to say happy birthday to someone.

The statement itself is not normally used in day to day interaction (especially not before Tuku coined the phrase in song) as it is not gramatically correct. However, for artistic reasons, one can accept and justify its use. As you may already be aware, in the song Tuku refers to an elderly member of society/the family and puts it to them that old age should be celebrated as a sign of good health and life. Basically, he attempts to encourage aging gracefully. Personally, and I am sure most would agree, he may have been referring to certain political figures who have been in power since 1980. This is just my personal view though and bears no reflection on Mr. Mtukudzi.
tmazz

Kamagaya, Japan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 11, 2009

Sekuru wrote:
What does it mean?
How is it constructed?
anodikanwa- beloved/one who is dear
a- is a pronoun inflection for one (third person)
no- auxiliary verb to be in the present tense (is)
di- from the verb root -da which means love
kanwa- is a double verbal extension which implies passivity for the subject.(receiver of the love action)
Try visiting the website I posted a few days ago it handles most of the inflections systematically
tmazz

Kamagaya, Japan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 11, 2009

Sekuru wrote:
bvuma -accept it/face it
wa- You
sakara- old
Sakara is a verb functioning as an adjective. It (the word) primarily means old as contrasted with new so its used to refer to old age age as a figure of speech

Sydney, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 11, 2009

tmazz wrote:
<quoted text>
bvuma -accept it/face it
wa- You
sakara- old
Sakara is a verb functioning as an adjective. It (the word) primarily means old as contrasted with new so its used to refer to old age age as a figure of speech
Ndatenda, tmazz.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Zimbabwe Discussions

Search the Zimbabwe Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
kusvirana 1 hr cimba 1
kudyanana beche kana mboro zvinokurudzirwa here (Sep '12) 2 hr Stnxxie 652
kusvirwa (May '12) 12 hr xolani 365
Be a NollyWood Actor/Actress Today !! (Oct '13) 13 hr petty 9
kusvirana mu bulawayo (Jul '13) Tue mad 57
Zanu PF activists occupy Bulawayo-owned nature ... Jul 21 MaNdlovana 1
Julius Malema: The firebrand shaking up South A... Jul 20 tida 3
•••
•••