Compensation for care homes abuse

Full story: BBC News 2,622
The claims relate to former Nazareth House children's homes Victims of abuse at Nazareth House children's homes have been paid official compensation and more could follow, BBC Scotland has learned. Full Story
Gilly steer coles

Peterborough, UK

#2165 Jan 19, 2013
I was lucky enough to reside at Ashwicke hall with the Good Shepherd Sisters from 1971/1973,the best 2 years of my life,if i had not come into the care of these ladies i would not be here now.because of them my life was turned around and from the bottom of my heart i thank Mother Eughine and mother Bernadine for never giving up on me,how different my story could have been,i was not an easy pupil!!
sharriegi

UK

#2166 Jan 19, 2013
Margaret Goggins wrote:
Mother St. Philip Neri
Mother Albhi
Mother Germain
Mother Alphonsus [ my music teacher] all were there when I was there.
I was there 1989 so don't know those nuns....sr carmel was head when I was there....I got a law degree because of the love, care and support they gave me.... I was not a naughty child or delinquuent in any way, I was an unwanted, unloved and abused child and that placesaved me frrom that and loved me just like the rest of the girls.... things were far different back then
Deirdre

Huddersfield, UK

#2167 Jan 20, 2013
I got a good education during my time in N House Belfast even though I was sent out of class to skivvey for the nuns. Education was drilled into me. Built on fear like everything else. I had left by the time I would have gone to St Monicas.
I remember the tiny bottle of milk at break time & kids running wild in the yard, sometimes fighting & legs broken. The apples we raided from the Holy Rosary Church next door.
A good education doesen't compensate for all the beatings though.
sharriegi

UK

#2168 Jan 20, 2013
Deirdre wrote:
I got a good education during my time in N House Belfast even though I was sent out of class to skivvey for the nuns. Education was drilled into me. Built on fear like everything else. I had left by the time I would have gone to St Monicas.
I remember the tiny bottle of milk at break time & kids running wild in the yard, sometimes fighting & legs broken. The apples we raided from the Holy Rosary Church next door.
A good education doesen't compensate for all the beatings though.
I nor any other girl was ever beaten by the nuns, they loved us all very much... sorry you had a bad experience but I was not wjth naz house I was with the good shepherd sisters
Deirdre

Huddersfield, UK

#2169 Jan 21, 2013
sharriegi wrote:
<quoted text>
I nor any other girl was ever beaten by the nuns, they loved us all very much... sorry you had a bad experience but I was not wjth naz house I was with the good shepherd sisters
Hi I wasn't insinuating you were beaten by the nuns, I was just stating the fact that a good education didn't compensate for all the beatings.
Margaret Goggin s

Mitcham, UK

#2170 Jan 21, 2013
I was with the Good Shepherd nuns for a period of time. Whereas they weren't cruel, they were firm and mostly kind. I did get quite close to one nun, the music mistress and i visited her on a regular basis after i left which wasn't generally allowed back then. I also had my daughter in the mother and baby home in 1972. She is 41 now. Most babies went up for adoption, but I kept my daughter and the mothersuperior supported me and I was allowed to stay there until my daughter was 6 months old and they found me a flat. What I'm trying to find out is why I was sent there in the first place.
Margaret Goggin s

Mitcham, UK

#2171 Jan 21, 2013
The education we received at NH, if you can call it that, was scant and basic. We received no encouragement from the nuns whatsoever and as soon as we were 15, we were farmed out as cheap labour to 'friends' of the nuns. Any education I have now, I got for myself. The nuns were scantly educated themselves, came from rural Ireland and only became nuns because they were forced into it by their families. How could children learn anything from these womrn when we were in constant fear of them?
Deirdre

Huddersfield, UK

#2172 Jan 21, 2013
It wasn't only nuns who taught us, We had a lovely teacher called Mrs Hennessey.
Margaret Goggin s

Mitcham, UK

#2173 Jan 21, 2013
We were initially taught in the home but towards the secondary stage, the authorities had us bussed outside school. I had a lovely teacher called Winifred Kelly. I stayed friends with her till she died.
Deirdre

Huddersfield, UK

#2174 Jan 22, 2013
The only thing I have from my time in N House is a medal I got for Irish dancing. A family member kept it for me. Apart from a few photos someone gave me & there is only one with me on it that's all I have from my childhood. I kept lots of things
from when my family were kids & it's nice to go through them every now & again. My records, one A 4 bit of paper weren't even correct. Not worth the paper they were written on.
Margaret Goggin s

Mitcham, UK

#2175 Jan 22, 2013
I feel your pain, Deirdre. The loss of childhood is one thing, but the loss of identity is worse. No pictures to show my 15 grandchildren of when I was their ages, no stories to tell except the horror ones which I wouldn't burden them with. I just saw Abandonment' written on my files as the reason for being there. I think I would have preferred to take my chances with an inadequate parent than what we were subjected to in those hell holes.
Deirdre

Huddersfield, UK

#2176 Jan 24, 2013
I found a lot of info about myself from when I was 15mths old from the National Archives in Dublin.
I wish I had done it earlier because some things I was looking for had been lost in a fire in the Limerick Newspaper Archives, where I was born. We have to be ready to deal with these things as it isn't an easy thing to do. Years ago I was talking to an old guy in Limerick, he had worked with my Father at Shannon Airport in the early 50's. My Father was an Air Traffic Controler. He had a good job & everything going for him, my Mother having kids one after the other, contraception was a big sin then. Kept one of my sisters & dumped the rest of us.I'm glad I managed to bring my own kids up in the way a Mother should.
Margaret Goggin s

Mitcham, UK

#2177 Jan 24, 2013
Same here, Deirdre. My mother went on to have 16 more children after leaving the 4 of us. All in care. She died aged 77 with only 1 daughter at her bedside.
Deirdre

Huddersfield, UK

#2178 Jan 24, 2013
Margaret Goggin s wrote:
Same here, Deirdre. My mother went on to have 16 more children after leaving the 4 of us. All in care. She died aged 77 with only 1 daughter at her bedside.
I didn't go to either of my so called parent's funeral. My grandparents in Dublin looked after the sister that wasn't dumped, I believe my so called Father broke her nose when she was 2yrs old but she is in denial, she talks about what a good man he was, don't know how she can say that after what he did to the rest of us.I call him all the bastards under the sun & she doesn't like it but it's tough. I have a half sister who was born when I was 16, I only found out about her 6yrs ago. I never met her, she was adopted so Alison as I think her name is, you had a lucky escape.
sharriegi

UK

#2179 Jan 24, 2013
Margaret Goggin s wrote:
I was with the Good Shepherd nuns for a period of time. Whereas they weren't cruel, they were firm and mostly kind. I did get quite close to one nun, the music mistress and i visited her on a regular basis after i left which wasn't generally allowed back then. I also had my daughter in the mother and baby home in 1972. She is 41 now. Most babies went up for adoption, but I kept my daughter and the mothersuperior supported me and I wasj allowed to stay there until my daughter was 6 months old and they found me a flat. What I'm trying to find out is why I was sent there in the first place.
That music teacher could have been sister carmel? I am in close contact with her... email me sharriegi@googlemail.com I have to say I am younger than your daughter, I was there in 89
Sooz

Hull, UK

#2181 Jan 29, 2013
Is there anyone on here who was at Naz in Bexhill during the early 60's?
izzi frm fife

Glasgow, UK

#2182 Jan 29, 2013
i remember while spending years at nazareth house cardonald glasgow the nuns that were abusers were secretly transferred under a cloud of silence only to work in another naz house home to continue the reign of cruelty she carried out at our place so all you survivors out there you probably experienced abuse and torture from the same abuser mines was sister bartholomue she finished off working in a boys home and then retired but i heard she was transferred to many homes throughout her time .i was there from 65 till 76 and i would welcome the chance to speak to fellow survivors from any time in the nazareth house homes.in light and love izzi
Regina

Hermosa Beach, CA

#2183 Feb 1, 2013
I would like to make the observation that, due to societal pressure, the Nuns that were in charge of the children's homes have been forced to address child abuse. Which, I would think, has made these homes more loving, nurturing and conducive to a learning environment? I would say also, the Nuns are of a new generation. Time has changed for the better! I was of the 50's and 60's generation of NH children; spending 15 years with uncaring, unloving, brutal Iris Nuns in NH Hammersmith. They didn't know how to love and nurture growing children; all they knew was abusive. Where Were Our Advocates? The trauma of those early years never leaves me; however, they never stop me from making the best of the rest of my life. My heart goes out to all! Reg
izzi frm fife

Glasgow, UK

#2184 Feb 2, 2013
this message goes out to all the ex children survivors of nazareth house cardonald glasgow i would love to hear from you anyone that had been there from the 40's to 80's i was there from 65 would like to have some information validated from people that were treated with the same abuse n cruelty as i,and if they lost siblings to suicide due to the trauma and emotional flashbacks suffered in this god forsaken place.all those children's voices must be heard and justice will be done.there are many children in spirit that are not at rest.we need to be their voices.we are all waiting for the day.we can all light a candle for our loved ones, my little sister will be 48 yrs old on the 8th feb happy birthday when it comes sis. thanks for reading this post .in love and light isabel [wallace] andrews
Catherine Sweeney

Fleetwood, UK

#2185 Feb 5, 2013
Margaret Goggins wrote:
wiseuppxx, tell them you will get a court order to gain access to your records. I've been there with this and they tried to tell my lawyer that they had never heard of me, and when threatened with legal action, they came up with the records.
I also spent time with the Good Shepherd nuns in Bishopton, in Scotland, and I fully intend to gain access to those records also. I have no idea why I was sent there as it was a type of reform school, and I bloody well want to know what I did that I ended up there. If it takes me till the day I die, I will find out what went on.
Hi, I was in the home at bishop ton also, St Euphrasia's , worked in the laundry, and had to scrub the long corridor outside of it on a Saturday morning. The nuns took us down to the river Clyde to swim in the summer. I have been trying to find out for years what happened to the place. There was st terraces mother and baby home halfway down the drive on the right. Carryon down to bottom of the drive and the girls approved school was on the left ( facing you) and st Euphrasia's was on the right. The chapel had 3 sections one for each and you could not see anyone from the other homes. I remember being punished by being sent to communal bathroom and left in underwear freezing !!M. Anyone else got any recollections and surely compensation for the way we were treated should be considered

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

United Kingdom Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
why the White man fears a United States of Asia... 8 min Asian power 44
Thousands of Jehovah's Witnesses 'seek God's Ki... 24 min True Christian wi... 130
Gay bbm pins (Aug '13) 31 min find out 14,812
Does the rest of UK care if Scotland goes? 35 min BigWillyStylez 73
Migrants in Britain a decade on: The Poles who ... 57 min The Iron Dicklin 3,034
Gay BBM pins 2014 (Jan '14) 1 hr Add me 79229FC9 6,287
Catholic bishop quits over 'shame' 2 hr Parden Pard 2
skype sex (Mar '14) 3 hr Nick 679

United Kingdom People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE