Compensation for care homes abuse

Full story: BBC News

The claims relate to former Nazareth House children's homes Victims of abuse at Nazareth House children's homes have been paid official compensation and more could follow, BBC Scotland has learned.
Comments
2,001 - 2,020 of 2,607 Comments Last updated Tuesday Jul 15
izzi frm fife

Motherwell, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 15, 2012

Judged:

just saying hi to all who are survivors of the many nazareth houses all over the world ours was in glasgow and us kids named it colditz pow camp thanks to that hell hole i suffer flashbacks n shudders whn i have images return to my mind of what happened ,even in my present workplace i could be operating a laundry press and my mind is taken back to an image of twelve young children myself my sister and others burning our hands and fingers in the appliances,and crying ourselves to sleep with the pain only to work in the same place the next day.am sending big hugs around the world to you all.yours in friendship izzi a
izzi frm fife

Motherwell, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 15, 2012

Judged:

hey dominica ,i am pleased the folk still come on this site and support eachother i am always searching for former kids from naz h at cardonald maybe one day there will be a post from one of them as there's a lot of folk that dont know this site exists. when we were together in our groups we stood up for eachother at school if anyone picked on us,we came together as our own made family, we looked out for the little children keep postn the support we all need each other like we did then, as even our own families can't comprehend how hard it was for us growing up,nobody understands we need to keep searching for all of them ,there are so many in despair broken lives,some lost siblings to suicide the sadness and hurt wont go away.we need closure watch the papers and news ahead one day the government will listen and we will have our stories told.please keep talking sending loving thoughts and not unkind words. regars izzi
Marishka

Newtownabbey, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 15, 2012

Judged:

Deirdre wrote:
Bernie, How can you hold the Government alone for child abuse. It was the Nuns who beat me black & blue,almost drowned me in a bath & a lot more, it wasn't the Government who did it but they should have made sure that abuse wasn't happening.
I am no idiot Bernie. I don't think an idiot would be capabil of petitioning Stormont & putting pressure on the Government to hold an Inquiry.
Like I said on R T E an Inquiry was good enough for the Republic surely it's good enough for the North.
Your a star Deirdre! I'm out of the loop can you tell me what's happening with taking those a busers to court?
Marishka

Newtownabbey, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 15, 2012

Judged:

Marishka wrote:
<quoted text>
Your a star Deirdre! I'm out of the loop can you tell me what's happening with taking those a busers to court?
Yes church and state once again! The people responsible are the nuns and the outsiders who took their cue from said nuns! The government didn't beat me and put soap in my mouth!!!!
Marishka

Newtownabbey, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 15, 2012

Judged:

Bernie Quinn needs to get off this site and not stick up for abusers which is what she does!!!
Go away Bernie and ask your God whom you preach about so much as to whether He believes us or not! It is better for a person to have a millstone tied round their neck and thrown into the ocean than for any of them to hurt a single hair on one of these little children of mine!! Thus said Jesus!!!
Margaret Goggins

Birmingham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 15, 2012

Judged:

Oh, yes, indeed. Marishka. 'Suffer the little children to come unto me' and, boy, did we suffer.
peg

UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 16, 2012

Judged:

Marishka, we certainly did suffer. We the abused, are the one's who feel it, know it,and suffered at the hands of the Sister's of Nazareth.We cannot forget, no matter how long ago it was, the scars remain.
As for Bernie Quinn, words fail me. I think she will always yo-yo onto this site....treats it more as a social networking site than a forum for victims of abuse.
If you are reading this Mrs Quinn...do you still deny the nuns bathed us in Jeyes Fluid? This was the standard practice in every Nazareth House in the UK..oh, lets not forget the red carbolic soap that acted as a skin scraper on young skins.The beatings (not corporal punishment) the crucifix of their rosary beads, being dug into your back til you squealed with pain.The sadistic punishments for crimes we did not commit.The list is endless...Yes, we have moved on in ceratin aspects of our lives...but we cannot forget.With a shudder a remember it all too well.
fiona r

UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 17, 2012

Judged:

Im writing on behalf of my mum dawn dungar. She was in nazareth house lasswade 1962to 74 if anyone has sum info for her. Thanks
Deirdre

Huddersfield, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 18, 2012

Judged:

Hi Marishka, I know that solicitors in N I are putting pressure on vunerable people to go to the Acknoweldgement Formum with them, Solicitors who didn't want to help anyone take a case against the abusers years ago. No one needs a solicitor to go to the Acknoweldgement Forum with them. Hopefully the Inquiry will only take 2 & 1/2 years. The North should learn something from the inquiry in the Republic. As I was also in one of those hellholes in the Republic I was adament an Inquiry should be held in the North. Same Church, same religious organisations, same abuse. Innocent kids having the pulp beaten out of them, kids making rosery beads till their hands bled, kids been sent abroad under false pretences. I cringe just thinking about it.
Deirdre

Huddersfield, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2012

Judged:

bernie quinn wrote:
It is so terrible to be all alone in the world with no love around. First rejected by my own mother and then by the girls I looked on as my family, what am I to do?
Are you taking the piss or what
bernie quinn

Belfast, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

Judged:

Deirdre, you seem to forget you were in my group in Nazareth House, You slept at the window close to the nuns and I selp straight accross from you and you were never bathed in Jeyes Fluid. No one in St Annes group was bathes in Jeyes fluid. The nuns never bathed us either. We were bathed by the older girls with someone at the front and someone at the back holding a towel to make sure we didn't see each others body. We were only bathed on a Saturday after all work was done in the morning, heads all checked and then we got bathed. After that we had the option of the shop and we also went to the swimming pool or we went to the curzon cinema. I still undress and dress at the same time not exposing my body, not that I am ashamed but this was how I was taught to dress. and yes there was red carbolic soap, so what, better to have some soap than no soap. A lot of people we went to school with had the same soap, it was the cheapest on the market at the time.

And yes I saw all the girls as my family which is why I am still in touch with so many.
Margaret Goggins

Birmingham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

Judged:

One of the things I found while in Nazareth House was that I never knew I had a brother until he was in Nazareth House for several months. Boys and girls were kept strictly separate. I never got to know him and relationships between siblings were never allowed to develop. I don't know why this was. Then one day, at Sunday Mass, my brother wasn't there any more. No one told me that he had gone or where he had gone to and I have never seen him again to this day. I have a son, John-Joseph named after him and one of my grandchildren also named after him. It's all we have of him. I found out a couple of years ago that my mother had died yet in Nazareth House, we were told that our parents were dead. I think this is psychological abuse of the worst kind and I still struggle with it now.
Deirdre

Huddersfield, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

Judged:

JEYES FLUID was put in the BATH
Deirdre

Huddersfield, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

Judged:

B Q I don't forget what happened to me, I never will. I don't need you to tell me where I slept.
You were sooooooooooooooo lucky to have gone swimming & to the cinmea. I didn't see any of the girls as family. It was all fend for yourself, dreading the next beating from the NUNS. You loved your time in N H. I hated every miniute of it.
You write crap on here.
Deirdre

Huddersfield, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

Judged:

B Q. JEYES FLUID WAS put in the Bath.
It BURNT my bits, you know them bits that would have been a dreadful sin to mention.
Maybe you used the NUNS bathroom, they won't have had JEYES FLUID in their BATH
They must have been frustrated women,
Short of a good man. Goodbye Ms Quinn
maria hillis

Motherwell, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

Judged:

my mum was in naz house glasgow between 1947 till 59 her name was maria blaney her sister was there too she doesnt tlk much but her sister racheal reported cruel abuse by those so called holy people
maria hillis glasgow

Motherwell, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

Judged:

a dont know how people say it didnt happen cause there is just too much evidence my mum doesnt say much but she said they were shit feart of them nuns
sharriegi

London, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

Judged:

Margaret Goggins wrote:
wiseuppxx, tell them you will get a court order to gain access to your records. I've been there with this and they tried to tell my lawyer that they had never heard of me, and when threatened with legal action, they came up with the records.
I also spent time with the Good Shepherd nuns in Bishopton, in Scotland, and I fully intend to gain access to those records also. I have no idea why I was sent there as it was a type of reform school, and I bloody well want to know what I did that I ended up there. If it takes me till the day I die, I will find out what went on.
I was in that school in bishopton and it was not a reform school at all and the nuns there were loving and caring,
Margaret Goggins

Birmingham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

Judged:

If it was not a reform school, then why were all the doors locked behind us every time we left a room. Why did we have to work in a a laundry washing dirty, bloody and smelly sheets and bed linen from the local veterans hospital - Erskine Hospital. I spent 2 years in St. Euphrasia's for no reason whatsoever. I never saw the outside of the place in all that time. It was somewhere to dump kids because they didn't know what else to do with them. I had my oldest daughter in St. Gerards mother and baby home just up the road from St. Euprasia's. She is now 40 and it is still a reform school only not under the care of nuns.
Margaret Goggins

Birmingham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

Mother St. Philip Neri
Mother Albhi
Mother Germain
Mother Alphonsus [ my music teacher] all were there when I was there.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

91 Users are viewing the United Kingdom Forum right now

Search the United Kingdom Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Why do half of Britons not believe in evolution? 5 min The Dude 55
Gay bbm pins (Aug '13) 7 min OnlyLondoners 11,866
Migrants in Britain a decade on: The Poles who ... 11 min Frank 1,941
May This London CAB Driver BURN in H*LL 46 min London Cab Driver 1
Gay BBM pins 2014 (Jan '14) 47 min gay 4,806
Former Jehovah's Witness leaves memorial to fam... 1 hr florida native 48
4th August should be a day of mourning 1 hr Angry goat wanker 2
skype sex 1 hr Alex 399
•••