All the world's a stage as pipers flock to Glasgow

Aug 18, 2013 Full story: Sunday Herald 12

THE WORLD Pipe Band Championships has now become a global event and an international celebration of Scottish culture, with a record 17 nations taking part in this year's competition in Glasgow.

Full Story

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#1 Aug 18, 2013
all the best Mr. Singh..make us 'bag pipe' proud, i wonder if it's an obligation for all bag pipers to wear that irish skirts,hmmmmm.....

the bag pipe tone reminds me of a song from Malaysian legendary grunge/alternative 90s rocker called Butterfingers,Emmett sounds like Kurt Cobain in their early records..hehehe(smells like malaysian teen spirit eh...), the song called 'Vio Pipe'.

:-)

JZQ

Since: Nov 09

Location hidden

#2 Aug 18, 2013
I've heard of Butterfingers. Sounds like Deftones, right? What happen to them now? Disbanded?
IMASE

Cwmbran, UK

#3 Aug 18, 2013
2 groups were busy rehearsing when i walked pass Kelvingrove Park last Friday.

Canadians may be.

I'm surprised the news pops up in a m'sian forum like this. welcome to Glasgow!

Location hidden

#4 Aug 18, 2013
jazrizq wrote:
I've heard of Butterfingers. Sounds like Deftones, right? What happen to them now? Disbanded?
not sure if they we're officially disbanded, but one of their guitarist is still around in the industry, Loque(Berkley College of Music Composition & Synthesis grads) is still around with his project band monoloQue and he writes song for various Malaysian artist as well...

i'm not sure if they we're heavilly 'Back To School' sounded like Deftones,there's another local band called Love Me Butch i believe is more likely sounded like Deftones,just listen to their single called "It's Over in Space",now that's Deftones!! but yeah i believe in that era, everyone will try to sounded like them or at least influenced by them, Incubus,Nirvana,Soundgarden,St one Temple Pilots,Silverchair,Radiohead,P earl Jam,The Smashing Pumpkins etc,all this 90s band have these band as their reference.

Location hidden

#5 Aug 18, 2013
IMASE wrote:
Canadians may be.
yeah, i'm suprised with the news too...never thought Malaysia have their reps in this Bag Pipe World Champ as well.

JZQ

Location hidden

#6 Aug 18, 2013
Crush Em 2013 wrote:
<quoted text>
not sure if they we're officially disbanded, but one of their guitarist is still around in the industry, Loque(Berkley College of Music Composition & Synthesis grads) is still around with his project band monoloQue and he writes song for various Malaysian artist as well...
i'm not sure if they we're heavilly 'Back To School' sounded like Deftones,there's another local band called Love Me Butch i believe is more likely sounded like Deftones,just listen to their single called "It's Over in Space",now that's Deftones!! but yeah i believe in that era, everyone will try to sounded like them or at least influenced by them, Incubus,Nirvana,Soundgarden,St one Temple Pilots,Silverchair,Radiohead,P earl Jam,The Smashing Pumpkins etc,all this 90s band have these band as their reference.
Wow. Looks like you're the expert in Malaysia Indie music scene.^_^

I remembered it starts with B. Yeah, Love Me Butch sounds more like Deftones. I'm listening to Malaysia's indie bands but not a follower eg Kyoto Protocol, TWKUA, The Times, etc. Such a waste of talents. They should get more publicity. Now everybody just wanna grab a guitar, sing out of tune and call themselves indie singers.

I can't stand pipe band though. Need a cotton bud.

^_^

JZQ

Location hidden

#7 Aug 18, 2013
IMASE wrote:
Canadians may be.
Topix news are just like a box of chocolate. You'll never know what you're gonna get.

Lots of music festivals in summer.

^_^

Location hidden

#8 Aug 18, 2013
jazrizq wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow. Looks like you're the expert in Malaysia Indie music scene.^_^
I remembered it starts with B. Yeah, Love Me Butch sounds more like Deftones. I'm listening to Malaysia's indie bands but not a follower eg Kyoto Protocol, TWKUA, The Times, etc. Such a waste of talents. They should get more publicity. Now everybody just wanna grab a guitar, sing out of tune and call themselves indie singers.
^_^
yup, everyone wanna become Taylor Swift or Colbie Caillat nowadays, i wonder where's our own version of the bluesy John Mayer,i've seen no one yet.

IMASE

Newcastle Upon Tyne, UK

#9 Aug 19, 2013
Crush Em 2013 wrote:
<quoted text>
yeah, i'm suprised with the news too...never thought Malaysia have their reps in this Bag Pipe World Champ as well.
malaysian reps?? oh, wow.
so i've missed giving them the well wishes.
IMASE

Newcastle Upon Tyne, UK

#10 Aug 19, 2013
jazrizq wrote:
<quoted text>

^_^
i remember in year 2000. they were practising right under my flat's window. summer holidays, but i was in the midst of having an exam.

now if i walk along Buchanan Street, i've always stumbled across these 3 scot pipers with an african drummer. not really into celtic music but their fusion is great.

JZQ

Location hidden

#11 Aug 19, 2013
IMASE wrote:
<quoted text>
i remember in year 2000. they were practising right under my flat's window. summer holidays, but i was in the midst of having an exam.
now if i walk along Buchanan Street, i've always stumbled across these 3 scot pipers with an african drummer. not really into celtic music but their fusion is great.
I'm always fascinated by street performance. I've encountered musicians that absolutely looked like Malaysians, but before I could say "wow, cool" and further scrutiny later, I realised they're actually Mexicans.

Reading your story, I might change my mind about those pipers. African music element seems interesting.^_^
IMASE

Newcastle Upon Tyne, UK

#12 Aug 19, 2013
jazrizq wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm always fascinated by street performance. I've encountered musicians that absolutely looked like Malaysians, but before I could say "wow, cool" and further scrutiny later, I realised they're actually Mexicans.
Reading your story, I might change my mind about those pipers. African music element seems interesting.^_^
Aye,
bag pipers can be funky too:

couldn't find the 3 scots and the african. but this one shows you what i meant:
http://www.youtube.com/watch...

the hissing/rattling sound (when the pipe reaches high note), doesn't come from the players but the camera, enjoy :)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

United Kingdom Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
NYPD Officers 'Assassinated' in Apparent Reveng... 15 min Just Saying 19
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 28 min Morse 23,268
chat flirt meet new people at cascadeofkisses w... 1 hr darrenjones1976 19
get back at Jew neighbour? 1 hr Jewsarecunts 5
I let a 11/12year old boy give me oral! 1 hr Jewcunt 2
Gay BBM pins 2014 (Jan '14) 2 hr sean 8,107
How come British cars are so bad? (Jan '11) 2 hr GeneralMontcalm 1,980
skype sex (Mar '14) 3 hr Wag6649 1,165
Gay bbm pins (Aug '13) 4 hr I love to suck 18,822
More from around the web