Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

Apr 25, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Psychology Today

My blog posts on religion have attracted a lot of controversy. Religious people are annoyed by my claim that belief in God will go the way of horse transportation, and for much the same reason, specifically an improved standard of living.

Comments
8,701 - 8,720 of 21,505 Comments Last updated 1 hr ago
rio

UK

#9252 Nov 22, 2012
Adam wrote:
<quoted text>
So what are we talking about here. An invisible and silent entity that doesnt answer prayers??
What about a celestial teapot that lies between earth and mars and moves in an eliptical orbit. Do you believe in that too?
Doesnt its lack of action, the fact that it doesnt answer prayers say a lot about its existence?
But who is talking about prayers here? It's you!

I never mentioned any worship.

You are barking up the wrong tree, mate.
Adam

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#9253 Nov 22, 2012
rio wrote:
<quoted text>
But who is talking about prayers here? It's you!
I never mentioned any worship.
So you believe in God but not in worship or prayer? So.. you reject religion. Then why criticise Atheism?
rio

UK

#9254 Nov 22, 2012
Adam wrote:
<quoted text>
So you believe in God but not in worship or prayer? So.. you reject religion. Then why criticise Atheism?
I believe in God, but I reject organised religions.

I don't "criticise" atheism per se, I just find atheists about as fanatic as religious people.
They are hell-bent in demonstrating they are right, and are just as intolerent as the religious freaks.

People should just tolerate each other, and stop trying to be right all the time; it's childish to the extreme.
Andre

Durban, South Africa

#9255 Nov 22, 2012
rio wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't "criticise" atheism per se, I just find atheists about as fanatic as religious people.
They are hell-bent in demonstrating they are right, and are just as intolerent as the religious freaks.
People should just tolerate each other, and stop trying to be right all the time; it's childish to the extreme.
Who is this God that you believe in. Tell me about Him (or maybe a "Her")
rio

UK

#9256 Nov 22, 2012
Andre wrote:
<quoted text>Who is this God that you believe in. Tell me about Him (or maybe a "Her")
Not much to say, really.
I believe there is a creator, who was at the origin of the universe, just like I believe there is some form of afterlife. In what form I don't know, may be re-birth, reincarnation, etc ...
Maybe both are linked ...

I reject organised religions that create dogma around beliefs, build structures, try to control people, etc... and pretend to have all the answers.

I prefer to have some of my questions unanswered...
Adam

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#9257 Nov 22, 2012
rio wrote:
<quoted text>
I just find atheists about as fanatic as religious people.
Really? Maybe you should read some the fundie posts. Ya heba last week said that she despised kafir of all kinds. Meaning she hates everyone except Muslims. THAT is intolerance. Compare to that, the lighthearted banter by free thinkers here, is very friendly.
rio

UK

#9258 Nov 22, 2012
Adam wrote:
<quoted text>
Really? Maybe you should read some the fundie posts. Ya heba last week said that she despised kafir of all kinds. Meaning she hates everyone except Muslims. THAT is intolerance. Compare to that, the lighthearted banter by free thinkers here, is very friendly.
Yes, some religious folks are very fanatics about their beliefs, just like some atheists are intolerents as well.

I can understannd it from some cultures, but atheists are supposed to be open-minded. They are not.

There is no lighthearted banter about beliefs; it can't be.
Belief or non-belief is at the core of an individual thinking; there is nothing more personal and intimate than that!

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#9259 Nov 22, 2012
rio wrote:
<quoted text>
When did I insult you?
Who says I believe in Christ?
I don't attack anyone's beliefs, or lack of; that's their business, but in exchange I expect not to be slandered for mine.
You turn to be more intolerent than the so-called "religious nuts" you so despise.
Lady, you have a problem; like a chip on your shoulder!!
BTW, Your video is crap. I can't judge the content, but the picture and sound quality are terrible, very amateurish. That's the reality!
Pft, you're judging a vlog, seriously? I thought you were another shallow believer, and you just lowered the bar. Good job.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#9260 Nov 22, 2012
rio wrote:
<quoted text>
So, like all christians, you are picking and choosing what you "think" is right. Good call, helping the cause.
rio

Beckenham, UK

#9261 Nov 22, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
So, like all christians, you are picking and choosing what you "think" is right. Good call, helping the cause.
You keep making assumptions about people and getting it wrong all the time!

Stop it!

I am no more christian than you are the moon!

Never heard of DEISM perhaps?

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#9262 Nov 22, 2012
rio wrote:
<quoted text>
You keep making assumptions about people and getting it wrong all the time!
Stop it!
I am no more christian than you are the moon!
Never heard of DEISM perhaps?
Deism doesn't used the word "god" as a proper noun. Deists know better, they're ... intelligent. Which you clearly are not.
rio

Beckenham, UK

#9263 Nov 22, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Deism doesn't used the word "god" as a proper noun. Deists know better, they're ... intelligent. Which you clearly are not.
Oh dear, I seem to have upset you about that video link of yours.
Now you are getting all bitchy on me.

What a shame...

You took me up on my grammar once, but I think you go do with some English lessons yourself. American? No, just stupid ...

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#9264 Nov 22, 2012
rio wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh dear, I seem to have upset you about that video link of yours.
Now you are getting all bitchy on me.
What a shame...
You took me up on my grammar once, but I think you go do with some English lessons yourself. American? No, just stupid ...
Can you please type in English.
rio

Beckenham, UK

#9265 Nov 22, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Can you please type in English.
Can you speak English?

Since: Nov 11

Location hidden

#9266 Nov 22, 2012
Very Cynical Person wrote:
<quoted text>You have to be joking asking questions like that.
If that's a joke, someone really needs to see a good shrink.

Location hidden

#9267 Nov 22, 2012
greymouser wrote:
<quoted text>
My apologies that I don't hang your every post every day. Posting here is a hobby.
You may notice that I use the reply so I quote your post to remind you of what you said.
If you can't follow up on what you posted a few days ago, perhaps you can't keep up with the lies that you are trying to spin.
A (good) liar needs a good memory.

Location hidden

#9268 Nov 22, 2012
I read, I cannot admit to hearing, that someone or other comes along and declares s/he "has found God." I ALWAYS think, where? I wasn't aware he was reported missing.

“Exercise Your Brain”

Since: Jun 07

Planet Earth

#9270 Nov 22, 2012
rio wrote:
<quoted text>
Or maybe you could answer me how the 4.5 billion years old planet Earth came to be? I know the scientists tell me it's the "Big Bang". But what provoked the Big bang, eh soldier?
When you will prove to me that the whole universe came out of nowhere and spontaneously, you too will be a little more convincing to me "shrugs".
Nonevidence isn't an answer.
In between, it's just a question that needs an answer, although you may already have decided there is no question to ask, so no answer to offer.
You weren't there and neither was I. Instead of looking for viable answers, you make up one, pat yourself on the shoulder and set back.

As far as theists are concerned thunder is created by Thor, Mars is the god of war and if you go out too far you will fall off the flat earth. Left handedness is a mark of the devil and if twins are born, one is evil and must be killed....the high priest will decide.

Religion debilitates knowledge, it's very nature is to not question and accept answers from others on faith.
rio

Beckenham, UK

#9271 Nov 22, 2012
albtraum wrote:
<quoted text>
You weren't there and neither was I. Instead of looking for viable answers, you make up one, pat yourself on the shoulder and set back.
As far as theists are concerned thunder is created by Thor, Mars is the god of war and if you go out too far you will fall off the flat earth. Left handedness is a mark of the devil and if twins are born, one is evil and must be killed....the high priest will decide.
Religion debilitates knowledge, it's very nature is to not question and accept answers from others on faith.
If you Google THEISM and DEISM, you will see there is a difference.

The first one is what you are talking about.

The second one is what I am interested in.

I have no need for established religion, but I am looking for answers to my questions. I may found them there, who knows...

“Exercise Your Brain”

Since: Jun 07

Planet Earth

#9272 Nov 22, 2012
rio wrote:
<quoted text>
If you Google THEISM and DEISM, you will see there is a difference.
The first one is what you are talking about.
The second one is what I am interested in.
I have no need for established religion, but I am looking for answers to my questions. I may found them there, who knows...
Probably not in our lifetimes. But that's OK, we'll both live just as happy and die when the time comes;0)

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

United Kingdom Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Gay bbm pins (Aug '13) 1 hr Iky 13,468
Britain, California to Work Together on Global ... (Aug '06) 1 hr SpaceBlues 7
Older men wanted 2 hr ben1979 20
Gay BBM pins 2014 (Jan '14) 3 hr lew123 5,610
Migrants in Britain a decade on: The Poles who ... 4 hr halal kosher pork... 2,696
Straight guy needs money in Manchester!!!! 4 hr Mark 1
E-cigs any one use them? 6 hr yellow teeth 1
War India vs Britain, Who will win? (Oct '13) 9 hr Apo 123
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

United Kingdom People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••