Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

Apr 25, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Psychology Today

My blog posts on religion have attracted a lot of controversy. Religious people are annoyed by my claim that belief in God will go the way of horse transportation, and for much the same reason, specifically an improved standard of living.

Comments
8,561 - 8,580 of 21,468 Comments Last updated 3 hrs ago

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

THE QURAN - 23:5,6

"...who restrain their carnal desires (except with their wives and slave girls, for these are lawful to them..."
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

rio wrote:
<quoted text>
...Also, I suspect that people who claim they are atheist in reaction to a religion they rejected are not really genuine; I know I wasn't.
Well, I our mutual understanding is improved by this conversation.
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

Atheism isn't a 'reaction to a religion', by the way. It is what religionists call the non-believers.
rio

Beckenham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

EdSed wrote:
<quoted text<quoted text>Are you suggesting I am being intollerant?
<quoted text>I am not attacking anyone who believes in god. I only point to the damage consequent to such superstition.
Yes, you are intolerent in the sense that you feel the need to tell me I am wrong and you are right.
That's an assumption of superiority, akin to intolerence.

Myself, I don't think it's necessary for me to criticise your viewpoint; it's a personal matter. I explained my journey; that's all.

Belief in God and the way some people interpret old texts are quite different.
Adam

Stoke-on-trent, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

Judged:

MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
Where in Quran you find that our prophet had sex with a 9 year girl?
Kafir!! You denying Bukhari the most authentic hadith now? You already deny all the religions, all other gods and holy books. Only a very small step now, to join us!
Adam

Stoke-on-trent, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

Judged:

rio wrote:
<quoted text>
Apart from the Abrahamic religions (Judaism, Christianity and Islam), many religions believe in afterlife, reincarnation, karma, etc...
Yes there are many delusions. All religions are man made. I dont wish to discriminate between any particular group.
rio

Beckenham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

Adam wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes there are many delusions. All religions are man made. I dont wish to discriminate between any particular group.
Let's say that I am happy with my delusion if you are happy with yours...

I suppose that everything is "man made" too for you?
Adam

Stoke-on-trent, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

Judged:

rio wrote:
<quoted text>
Let's say that I am happy with my delusion if you are happy with yours...
But I dont have a delusion. A delusion is a false belief in spite of incontrovertible evidence.

Now I was a christian for several years. That whole game is packaged up with several delusions.

One of which is belief in an afterlife. Which is itself is a delusion. The evidence for an afterlife is usually presented as the bible or the quran, which are proven false. The strong lilihood is that there is place to flatter god with eternal songs of praise. As if he craves endless worship to flatter a weak ego. That is a fairy tale.
Adam

Stoke-on-trent, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

correction. "There is NO SUCH place"
Adam

Stoke-on-trent, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

Judged:

rio wrote:
<quoted text>
I suppose that everything is "man made" too for you?
We know religions are man made. All of the religions teach different things, and propogate myths and superstitious thinking. This is why as human civilisation advances Atheism MAY defeat religions, who knows maybe by 2038.
rio

Beckenham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

Judged:

Adam wrote:
<quoted text>
But I dont have a delusion. A delusion is a false belief in spite of incontrovertible evidence.
You don't have more "incontrovertible evidence" than myself!

You gamble there is no God because you were pissed off with your christian religion. To me it's a knee-jerk reaction.

But I can understand that, because I was the same, being raised in a catholic family with strict parents, educated by priests, etc...
I rejected all that and became anti-clergy, anti religion, anti-catholic, etc...
Religion didn't have a place in my life for years, in fact, I didn't miss it.

But then, I started to question my purpose in life, the meaning of life itself, the possibility of afterlife, etc... and that brought me to reasses my opinion. I suspect that as human beings with intelligence, we have more purpose in our existence than just passing through the world during our short lifespan and then dissappear without trace like a beetroot or a sparrow, destined to be forgotten after a couple of generations. That would be meaningless. There must be more to it than that, and that's what I am gambling on.
I am not trying to convince you, and if you think I am deluded, well, that's your opinion.
rio

Beckenham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

Judged:

Adam wrote:
<quoted text>
We know religions are man made. All of the religions teach different things, and propogate myths and superstitious thinking. This is why as human civilisation advances Atheism MAY defeat religions, who knows maybe by 2038.
Yes, for sure, religions are man made social structures built around a set of beliefs.
But God, if it exists (which I believe) isn't man made!

I don't know what you mean by DEFEAT.
Do you mean outnumber?
Do you mean reaching a state where atheists will be able to ban religions?
Do you mean that religions will be driven underground?
Otherwise how do you explain DEFEAT?
And why in 2038?
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

rio wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, you are intolerent in the sense that you feel the need to tell me I am wrong and you are right....
I feel no need to tell you that you're wrong. I simply express my own views, as do you.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

Judged:

rio wrote:
<quoted text>
Without afterlife, life itself has no meaning for me. I think that we are more than mere vegetables. I cannot really explain it, but I think that life is just part of a cycle, and that something is waiting beyond death.
If you wait for it to be justified by reason and evidence, fine. But I think you will be waiting for ever whilst I am ready to take a leap of faith and believe in it. That's the difference between an atheist and a believer.
Now, not all believers are suicide bombers!
That is a very defeatist attitude on life. You failed to create your own meaning so you just took something someone else offered, and not a very good one.
Miss Science Geek

UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

Judged:

ya heba wrote:
<quoted text>
atheists are animals, its to be expected, evolution gives them the right to behave as such.
You obviously failed biology, stupid bítch!
rio

Beckenham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
That is a very defeatist attitude on life. You failed to create your own meaning so you just took something someone else offered, and not a very good one.
What do you mean "I failed to create my own meaning"?
I don't think I have dome badly at all in this life, personally, professionally, emotionally, financially, etc...
But the prospect that all is going to end in dust after death isn't very appealling to me. It sounds like a waste.
Well, for some people that may seem alright, not for me.
It doesn't warrant the glorification of human life if it all ends up in decaying cells once death has come. It sounds so material without afterlife; just growing, breeding, consuming, producing and then ...pop... nothing? Just a link in the food chain? Hummm...
Adam

Stoke-on-trent, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

Miss Science Geek wrote:
<quoted text>
You obviously failed biology, stupid bítch!
lol. I bet its true!
Adam

Stoke-on-trent, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

Judged:

rio wrote:
<quoted text>
But the prospect that all is going to end in dust after death isn't very appealling to me.
Welcome to the real world. Just think of it, as like the time before we were born. i.e. nothing.
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

We only have five senses and a human mind. For all one knows, one is a sort of blob that imagines everything. When we are not seeing or otherwise sensing something, perhaps it doesn't exist. In that sense, we cannot 'know' anything. That doesn't mean it is okay to make stuff up (e.g. an afterlife or god/s). Superstition can do great harm. Surely the best thing to do is only believe anything as far as reason and evidence justify the belief and accept what we do not know or understand.

I try to have the courage to change what I can, the serenity to accept what I cannot and the wisdom to know the difference - and the serenity to accept I cannot understand everything in the universe and beyond.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

rio wrote:
<quoted text>
What do you mean "I failed to create my own meaning"?
I don't think I have dome badly at all in this life, personally, professionally, emotionally, financially, etc...
But the prospect that all is going to end in dust after death isn't very appealling to me. It sounds like a waste.
Well, for some people that may seem alright, not for me.
It doesn't warrant the glorification of human life if it all ends up in decaying cells once death has come. It sounds so material without afterlife; just growing, breeding, consuming, producing and then ...pop... nothing? Just a link in the food chain? Hummm...
So you are going to waste your life worshiping something just because you really want it to be real, regardless of the lacking evidence or the people you are making very wealthy by doing so.

Those who want their lives to have meaning leave behind a legacy of progress, change for the better, footsteps that no others can fill.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••