Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

Apr 25, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Psychology Today

My blog posts on religion have attracted a lot of controversy. Religious people are annoyed by my claim that belief in God will go the way of horse transportation, and for much the same reason, specifically an improved standard of living.

Comments (Page 429)

Showing posts 8,561 - 8,580 of20,787
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
EdSed

Wishaw, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

rio wrote:
<quoted text>
The bottom line is "Do you believe in God or not?"
"The"? Why? Why isn't 'the bottom line' that one should only believe anything based on reason and evidence? Or belief should only be a matter of degree? Or some other 'bottom line'?
rio wrote:
<quoted text>
If you don't believe, like atheists, that's a statement, a belief in itself. You are convinced there is no God,(it's your intimate BELIEF) and you would argue your case. The negation of God IS a belief!
No it is a statement of disbelief. We don't believe in pixies either. It isn't the same as religious beliefs which are superstitious acts of faith. If one believes in a god or afterlife, one should have evidence and reason to support it. That is what motivates creationism and ID.
rio wrote:
<quoted text>
Then, you mix up belief in God with religion.
I don't. I just regard both as essentially superstitious. Religionists, atheists and agnostics would presumably accept any clear and unequivical evidence of a god. Religions have a more defined god.'God/Allah' in without religion might mean any higher power.
rio wrote:
<quoted text>
Belief in God is one thing that engages one individual. Religion is the need to accept a structure around your belief, with dogma, rules, etc... That's quite different.
Atheists don't hold the high ground to tell believers they are supersticious.
Do. I did.
rio wrote:
<quoted text>
Atheists cannot prove the absence of God, no more than believers can prove its existence.
Or pixies, or Santa. If one says there is an Abrahamic god, or any other one, it is incumbent on those who propose the notion to substantiate it, not for others to disprove. I am not interested in god(s), pixies or religion per se.
rio wrote:
<quoted text>
So, this is a sterile discussion. Acceptance and tolerance on BOTH sides is needed.
Are you suggesting I am being intollerant?
rio wrote:
<quoted text>
For an atheist to turn religion into derision is a sign of aggression; if you don't believe in God, leave those who do alone!
I am not attacking anyone who believes in god. I only point to the damage consequent to such superstition. Like organised religion, segregation of children, attacks on science, prejudice against gays and women, etc, etc.

If one keeps one's superstitions out of education, the law, morality, science and politics, I have no objections to anyone's religion, superstitions, faith or beliefs. When they affect me or are seen as detrimental to society I simply point it out.
rio

Bromley, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

Adam wrote:
<quoted text>
Thats a ridiculous statement. We each give our own meaning to our lives.
To give your life meaning through fairy tales of jewish mythology is silly. Far better to look for meaning in the real world, and relationships with real people.
Who says that afterlife has anything to do with Jewish mythology?

Apart from the Abrahamic religions (Judaism, Christianity and Islam), many religions believe in afterlife, reincarnation, karma, etc...

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

Judged:

'Aisha: I used to wash the semen off the clothes of the Prophet and even then I used to notice one or more spots on them.
Sahih Bukhari 1:4:233

"Aisha said, "The Apostle of Allah married me when I was seven years old." (The narrator Sulaiman said: "Or six years."). "He had intercourse with me when I was 9 years old."
Abu-Dawud 2:2116

Narrated 'Aisha: that the Prophet married her when she was six years old and he consummated his marriage when she was nine years old, and then she remained with him for nine years (i.e., till his death).
Sahih Bukhari 7:62:64

At the Massacre of Khaybar, Muhammad brutally tortured a Jewish chieftain for extracting information about where he had hidden his treasures. When the treasure was uncovered, the chieftain was beheaded. This chieftain was the husband of the most beautiful Jewish woman of Khaybar, the 17-year-old Safiyaah. Safiyaah's family members had been annihilated by Muhammad at the Banu Qurayza massacre. Now having beheaded her husband, the Prophet took Safiyah as his sex-slave and copulated on the same night.

In the massacre of the Jewish Settlement of Bani Mustaliq, Muhammad captured their women and took twenty-year-old Jewish girl, Juwayriya as his sex-slave
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
Where in Quran you find that our prophet had sex with a 9 year girl?
It shows that you have never read Quran and do not even know what are its subjects.
I could guess the "shallowness of your depth of Islamic knowledge" by the comments you were posting, now you have confirmed it.
Thank you, very much!!

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

Mariyam was a Christian slave girl and she was given to Muhammad as a gift by the governor of Egypt. Muhammad got her pregnant and she gave birth to a son. Afterwards Muhammad married her. The son died 18 months later.

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

FROM THE QURAN - 70:22-30

"Not so the worshippers, who are steadfast in prayer, who set aside a due portion of their wealth for the beggar and for the deprived, who truly believe in the Day of Reckoning and dread the punishment of their Lord (for none is secure from the punishment of their Lord); who restrain their carnal desire (save with their wives and their slave girls, for these are lawful to them: he that lusts after other than these is a transgressor..."

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

THE QURAN - 23:5,6

"...who restrain their carnal desires (except with their wives and slave girls, for these are lawful to them..."
EdSed

Wishaw, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

rio wrote:
<quoted text>
...Also, I suspect that people who claim they are atheist in reaction to a religion they rejected are not really genuine; I know I wasn't.
Well, I our mutual understanding is improved by this conversation.
EdSed

Wishaw, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

Atheism isn't a 'reaction to a religion', by the way. It is what religionists call the non-believers.
rio

Bromley, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

EdSed wrote:
<quoted text<quoted text>Are you suggesting I am being intollerant?
<quoted text>I am not attacking anyone who believes in god. I only point to the damage consequent to such superstition.
Yes, you are intolerent in the sense that you feel the need to tell me I am wrong and you are right.
That's an assumption of superiority, akin to intolerence.

Myself, I don't think it's necessary for me to criticise your viewpoint; it's a personal matter. I explained my journey; that's all.

Belief in God and the way some people interpret old texts are quite different.
Adam

Stoke-on-trent, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

Judged:

MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
Where in Quran you find that our prophet had sex with a 9 year girl?
Kafir!! You denying Bukhari the most authentic hadith now? You already deny all the religions, all other gods and holy books. Only a very small step now, to join us!
Adam

Stoke-on-trent, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

Judged:

rio wrote:
<quoted text>
Apart from the Abrahamic religions (Judaism, Christianity and Islam), many religions believe in afterlife, reincarnation, karma, etc...
Yes there are many delusions. All religions are man made. I dont wish to discriminate between any particular group.
rio

Bromley, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

Adam wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes there are many delusions. All religions are man made. I dont wish to discriminate between any particular group.
Let's say that I am happy with my delusion if you are happy with yours...

I suppose that everything is "man made" too for you?
Adam

Stoke-on-trent, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

Judged:

rio wrote:
<quoted text>
Let's say that I am happy with my delusion if you are happy with yours...
But I dont have a delusion. A delusion is a false belief in spite of incontrovertible evidence.

Now I was a christian for several years. That whole game is packaged up with several delusions.

One of which is belief in an afterlife. Which is itself is a delusion. The evidence for an afterlife is usually presented as the bible or the quran, which are proven false. The strong lilihood is that there is place to flatter god with eternal songs of praise. As if he craves endless worship to flatter a weak ego. That is a fairy tale.
Adam

Stoke-on-trent, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

correction. "There is NO SUCH place"
Adam

Stoke-on-trent, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

Judged:

rio wrote:
<quoted text>
I suppose that everything is "man made" too for you?
We know religions are man made. All of the religions teach different things, and propogate myths and superstitious thinking. This is why as human civilisation advances Atheism MAY defeat religions, who knows maybe by 2038.
rio

Bromley, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

Judged:

Adam wrote:
<quoted text>
But I dont have a delusion. A delusion is a false belief in spite of incontrovertible evidence.
You don't have more "incontrovertible evidence" than myself!

You gamble there is no God because you were pissed off with your christian religion. To me it's a knee-jerk reaction.

But I can understand that, because I was the same, being raised in a catholic family with strict parents, educated by priests, etc...
I rejected all that and became anti-clergy, anti religion, anti-catholic, etc...
Religion didn't have a place in my life for years, in fact, I didn't miss it.

But then, I started to question my purpose in life, the meaning of life itself, the possibility of afterlife, etc... and that brought me to reasses my opinion. I suspect that as human beings with intelligence, we have more purpose in our existence than just passing through the world during our short lifespan and then dissappear without trace like a beetroot or a sparrow, destined to be forgotten after a couple of generations. That would be meaningless. There must be more to it than that, and that's what I am gambling on.
I am not trying to convince you, and if you think I am deluded, well, that's your opinion.
rio

Bromley, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

Judged:

Adam wrote:
<quoted text>
We know religions are man made. All of the religions teach different things, and propogate myths and superstitious thinking. This is why as human civilisation advances Atheism MAY defeat religions, who knows maybe by 2038.
Yes, for sure, religions are man made social structures built around a set of beliefs.
But God, if it exists (which I believe) isn't man made!

I don't know what you mean by DEFEAT.
Do you mean outnumber?
Do you mean reaching a state where atheists will be able to ban religions?
Do you mean that religions will be driven underground?
Otherwise how do you explain DEFEAT?
And why in 2038?
EdSed

Wishaw, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

rio wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, you are intolerent in the sense that you feel the need to tell me I am wrong and you are right....
I feel no need to tell you that you're wrong. I simply express my own views, as do you.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

Judged:

rio wrote:
<quoted text>
Without afterlife, life itself has no meaning for me. I think that we are more than mere vegetables. I cannot really explain it, but I think that life is just part of a cycle, and that something is waiting beyond death.
If you wait for it to be justified by reason and evidence, fine. But I think you will be waiting for ever whilst I am ready to take a leap of faith and believe in it. That's the difference between an atheist and a believer.
Now, not all believers are suicide bombers!
That is a very defeatist attitude on life. You failed to create your own meaning so you just took something someone else offered, and not a very good one.
Miss Science Geek

UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2012

Judged:

ya heba wrote:
<quoted text>
atheists are animals, its to be expected, evolution gives them the right to behave as such.
You obviously failed biology, stupid bítch!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 8,561 - 8,580 of20,787
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

17 Users are viewing the United Kingdom Forum right now

Search the United Kingdom Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Gay BBM pins 2014 1 hr Ash 2A94CCA1 EX MODEL 1,498
Gay bbm pins (Aug '13) 1 hr Ash 2A94CCA1 EX MODEL 5,965
Is MEM about here still? 2 hr Dutch beans 7
new drug forum scam 2 hr Shyte talk 20
Ex-Osama bin Laden ally turns informant 3 hr indy 1
Nicki Chapman - My Life In Travel: 'Hoi An is a... 4 hr tran 22
Major victory for BC in court battle over Belfa... (Jun '13) 4 hr Seamus 21
•••
•••