Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038

Apr 25, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Psychology Today

My blog posts on religion have attracted a lot of controversy. Religious people are annoyed by my claim that belief in God will go the way of horse transportation, and for much the same reason, specifically an improved standard of living.

Comments
8,541 - 8,560 of 21,541 Comments Last updated 6 min ago
ya heba

Australia

#9082 Nov 20, 2012
gaz wrote:
<quoted text>doesn't really back up the theory of evolution that statement doesn't
i don't believe in that evolution mumbo-jumbo, all i am saying is only technology evolves, nothing else.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#9083 Nov 20, 2012
ya heba wrote:
<quoted text>
i don't believe in that evolution mumbo-jumbo, all i am saying is only technology evolves, nothing else.
So then there is no such thing as vaccines where you live.
gaz

UK

#9084 Nov 20, 2012
Me neither. Do you think technology is just a big cycle too, I know they found a battery in Baghdad over 2000 years old and they've found complex metals in the Caucasus and screws in coal. The craziest is I think they found a model glider plane in brazil hundreds of years old and when they threw it, it still flew
Adam

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#9085 Nov 20, 2012
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
If you are under a false nation that this Universe just came by itself and human just "evolved" with no purpose for his life on this earth….. then you are taking a big gamble…. A gamble with your life…. And it might cost you dearly.
This is a friendly advice form one Human to another brother in humanity!!
I am an agnostic not an atheist, so as for the creation of the universe, I dont think there is enough evidence to say what is the cause. That is my personal view.

In terms of purpose. I believe we each create our own purpose here. I dont feel the need ro rely of deities for a purpose in my life.

The talk about taking a gamble with my life if I chose incorrectly reminds me of Pascal's wager. The best bet according to him was to chose God's existence.

"If you erroneously believe in God, you lose nothing (assuming that death is the absolute end), whereas if you correctly believe in God, you gain everything (eternal bliss). But if you correctly disbelieve in God, you gain nothing (death ends all), whereas if you erroneously disbelieve in God, you lose everything (eternal damnation)."

There are manu arguments against this wager. My favorite is that it is dishonest to feign belief, to try to con God into thinking you are worthy of eternal bliss by deception.

The whole idea of heaven and hell is illogical and contradictory. For starters this is based on ancient myth. The Jewish desert nomadic people believed "up there" is a Semitic god of war accompanied by a pantheon of angels and sons of god. In reality there is sky and then space. There is no physical heaven and hell.

Secondly hell is a barbaric and immoral idea. That for simply being born in the wrong place, or time, or wrong religion, you can be sent to a firey hellish place for eternal punishment. No compassionate entity would be so cruel and immoral. The reality is that when own brains die, we die. All the evidence in the real world supports this.
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#9086 Nov 20, 2012
rio wrote:
<quoted text>
Atheists cannot convince religious people, just like religious people cannot convince atheists.
Having said that, gratuitous insults like "superstition", "self-deluded" and "Crutch to deal with reality" are not necessary.
The fact is that both sides are right in their beliefs. There is no conflict. It's all about faith in what you beleive, which cannot be proven anyway.
There is much wrong with this point of view you express.

Atheists in general don't have beliefs in the sense of religious beliefs. Religious beliefs ARE superstitious. It isn't insulting to say so, it is merely acknowledging reality - or do you seriously believe that Mohammed was sent by Allah or that Jesus died for our sins? That religious people delude themselves is a reasonable, honest and objective point of view, not an insult. It might not always be necessary to say these things, but pretending they aren't true or that isn't what people are thinking is being reticent (at best), not polite.

Atheism isn't growing, exactly. It would be more accurate to say that religion is declining in the face of religion and science. An increasing number of people (religious or otherwise) are acknowledging that relgions are ALL man made and that some are simply worse than others.
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#9087 Nov 20, 2012
Oops! I meant, "It would be more accurate to say that religion is declining in the face of education and science."

Since: Nov 11

Location hidden

#9088 Nov 20, 2012
rio wrote:
<quoted text>
Shaw was, I think, a believer, although he refused to be associated with any established religion.
Myself? I choose to be drunk, if it makes me happier.
What the harm anyway, eh?
Alcohol pickles the liver. I have a theory it also pickles the brain. After all, there are sufficient numbers to support it.
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#9089 Nov 20, 2012
rio wrote:
<quoted text>
No, I simply believe in God.
I have spent most of my life trying to convince myself I was an atheist, but I see no sense in my life if there is no meaningful afterlife, hence I started to believe again. But I haven't turned into a religious fanatic.
It's all very simple and peaceful, and I don't mind if people think I am misguided.
Now this is a far more reasonable point of view. However, why you see no sense in your life if there is no meaningful afterlife seems odd to me.

It seems most healthy to be reasonably sceptical and believe nothing beyond what can be justified by reason and evidence, but you offer one motive for doing otherwise. Assumptions about gods and aferlives are not always so benign. I think many suicide bombers are partly motivated by the belief in afterlife rewards, as if all the injustices they feel they see can be put right in a later 'life'.
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#9090 Nov 20, 2012
jacktheladat1 wrote:
<quoted text> Alcohol pickles the liver. I have a theory it also pickles the brain. After all, there are sufficient numbers to support it.
I sometimes wonder which is the most damaging addicton in the UK, alcohol or religion.
rio

Beckenham, UK

#9091 Nov 20, 2012
EdSed wrote:
<quoted text>There is much wrong with this point of view you express.
Atheists in general don't have beliefs in the sense of religious beliefs. Religious beliefs ARE superstitious. It isn't insulting to say so, it is merely acknowledging reality - or do you seriously believe that Mohammed was sent by Allah or that Jesus died for our sins? That religious people delude themselves is a reasonable, honest and objective point of view, not an insult. It might not always be necessary to say these things, but pretending they aren't true or that isn't what people are thinking is being reticent (at best), not polite.
Atheism isn't growing, exactly. It would be more accurate to say that religion is declining in the face of religion and science. An increasing number of people (religious or otherwise) are acknowledging that relgions are ALL man made and that some are simply worse than others.
The bottom line is "Do you believe in God or not?"

If you don't believe, like atheists, that's a statement, a belief in itself. You are convinced there is no God,(it's your intimate BELIEF) and you would argue your case. The negation of God IS a belief!

Then, you mix up belief in God with religion. Belief in God is one thing that engages one individual. Religion is the need to accept a structure around your belief, with dogma, rules, etc... That's quite different.

Atheists don't hold the high ground to tell believers they are supersticious. Atheists cannot prove the absence of God, no more than believers can prove its existence. So, this is a sterile discussion. Acceptance and tolerance on BOTH sides is needed.

For an atheist to turn religion into derision is a sign of aggression; if you don't believe in God, leave those who do alone!
rio

Beckenham, UK

#9092 Nov 20, 2012
EdSed wrote:
<quoted text>Now this is a far more reasonable point of view. However, why you see no sense in your life if there is no meaningful afterlife seems odd to me.
It seems most healthy to be reasonably sceptical and believe nothing beyond what can be justified by reason and evidence, but you offer one motive for doing otherwise. Assumptions about gods and aferlives are not always so benign. I think many suicide bombers are partly motivated by the belief in afterlife rewards, as if all the injustices they feel they see can be put right in a later 'life'.
Without afterlife, life itself has no meaning for me. I think that we are more than mere vegetables. I cannot really explain it, but I think that life is just part of a cycle, and that something is waiting beyond death.

If you wait for it to be justified by reason and evidence, fine. But I think you will be waiting for ever whilst I am ready to take a leap of faith and believe in it. That's the difference between an atheist and a believer.

Now, not all believers are suicide bombers!
Adam

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#9093 Nov 20, 2012
rio wrote:
<quoted text>
if you don't believe in God, leave those who do alone!
Many of us here are ex christians, so know the damage psychologically that religion can do. Helping people recover from entrenched delusions is a service.
Adam

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#9094 Nov 20, 2012
rio wrote:
<quoted text>
Without afterlife, life itself has no meaning for me.
Thats a ridiculous statement. We each give our own meaning to our lives.

To give your life meaning through fairy tales of jewish mythology is silly. Far better to look for meaning in the real world, and relationships with real people.

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

#9095 Nov 20, 2012
You and all who believe in Sharia law believe Malala deserved to be gunned down. Watch this video.

ya heba wrote:
<quoted text>
rio

Beckenham, UK

#9096 Nov 20, 2012
Adam wrote:
<quoted text>
Many of us here are ex christians, so know the damage psychologically that religion can do. Helping people recover from entrenched delusions is a service.
I am an ex-christian too.
I can't say I suffered "psychological damage", but I never accepted Christianity as a religion for me.
Too many contradictions in that religion.

Also, I suspect that people who claim they are atheist in reaction to a religion they rejected are not really genuine; I know I wasn't.
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#9097 Nov 20, 2012
rio wrote:
<quoted text>
The bottom line is "Do you believe in God or not?"
"The"? Why? Why isn't 'the bottom line' that one should only believe anything based on reason and evidence? Or belief should only be a matter of degree? Or some other 'bottom line'?
rio wrote:
<quoted text>
If you don't believe, like atheists, that's a statement, a belief in itself. You are convinced there is no God,(it's your intimate BELIEF) and you would argue your case. The negation of God IS a belief!
No it is a statement of disbelief. We don't believe in pixies either. It isn't the same as religious beliefs which are superstitious acts of faith. If one believes in a god or afterlife, one should have evidence and reason to support it. That is what motivates creationism and ID.
rio wrote:
<quoted text>
Then, you mix up belief in God with religion.
I don't. I just regard both as essentially superstitious. Religionists, atheists and agnostics would presumably accept any clear and unequivical evidence of a god. Religions have a more defined god.'God/Allah' in without religion might mean any higher power.
rio wrote:
<quoted text>
Belief in God is one thing that engages one individual. Religion is the need to accept a structure around your belief, with dogma, rules, etc... That's quite different.
Atheists don't hold the high ground to tell believers they are supersticious.
Do. I did.
rio wrote:
<quoted text>
Atheists cannot prove the absence of God, no more than believers can prove its existence.
Or pixies, or Santa. If one says there is an Abrahamic god, or any other one, it is incumbent on those who propose the notion to substantiate it, not for others to disprove. I am not interested in god(s), pixies or religion per se.
rio wrote:
<quoted text>
So, this is a sterile discussion. Acceptance and tolerance on BOTH sides is needed.
Are you suggesting I am being intollerant?
rio wrote:
<quoted text>
For an atheist to turn religion into derision is a sign of aggression; if you don't believe in God, leave those who do alone!
I am not attacking anyone who believes in god. I only point to the damage consequent to such superstition. Like organised religion, segregation of children, attacks on science, prejudice against gays and women, etc, etc.

If one keeps one's superstitions out of education, the law, morality, science and politics, I have no objections to anyone's religion, superstitions, faith or beliefs. When they affect me or are seen as detrimental to society I simply point it out.
rio

Beckenham, UK

#9098 Nov 20, 2012
Adam wrote:
<quoted text>
Thats a ridiculous statement. We each give our own meaning to our lives.
To give your life meaning through fairy tales of jewish mythology is silly. Far better to look for meaning in the real world, and relationships with real people.
Who says that afterlife has anything to do with Jewish mythology?

Apart from the Abrahamic religions (Judaism, Christianity and Islam), many religions believe in afterlife, reincarnation, karma, etc...

Lexington, KY

#9099 Nov 20, 2012
'Aisha: I used to wash the semen off the clothes of the Prophet and even then I used to notice one or more spots on them.
Sahih Bukhari 1:4:233

"Aisha said, "The Apostle of Allah married me when I was seven years old." (The narrator Sulaiman said: "Or six years."). "He had intercourse with me when I was 9 years old."
Abu-Dawud 2:2116

Narrated 'Aisha: that the Prophet married her when she was six years old and he consummated his marriage when she was nine years old, and then she remained with him for nine years (i.e., till his death).
Sahih Bukhari 7:62:64

At the Massacre of Khaybar, Muhammad brutally tortured a Jewish chieftain for extracting information about where he had hidden his treasures. When the treasure was uncovered, the chieftain was beheaded. This chieftain was the husband of the most beautiful Jewish woman of Khaybar, the 17-year-old Safiyaah. Safiyaah's family members had been annihilated by Muhammad at the Banu Qurayza massacre. Now having beheaded her husband, the Prophet took Safiyah as his sex-slave and copulated on the same night.

In the massacre of the Jewish Settlement of Bani Mustaliq, Muhammad captured their women and took twenty-year-old Jewish girl, Juwayriya as his sex-slave
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
Where in Quran you find that our prophet had sex with a 9 year girl?
It shows that you have never read Quran and do not even know what are its subjects.
I could guess the "shallowness of your depth of Islamic knowledge" by the comments you were posting, now you have confirmed it.
Thank you, very much!!

Lexington, KY

#9100 Nov 20, 2012
Mariyam was a Christian slave girl and she was given to Muhammad as a gift by the governor of Egypt. Muhammad got her pregnant and she gave birth to a son. Afterwards Muhammad married her. The son died 18 months later.

Lexington, KY

#9101 Nov 20, 2012
FROM THE QURAN - 70:22-30

"Not so the worshippers, who are steadfast in prayer, who set aside a due portion of their wealth for the beggar and for the deprived, who truly believe in the Day of Reckoning and dread the punishment of their Lord (for none is secure from the punishment of their Lord); who restrain their carnal desire (save with their wives and their slave girls, for these are lawful to them: he that lusts after other than these is a transgressor..."

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

United Kingdom Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Migrants in Britain a decade on: The Poles who ... 13 min Enoch Powells ghost 2,850
MEGA LEEK - Selena Gomez Nude Cell Phone Pics L... 44 min Selena Gomez Nude 1
Gay BBM pins 2014 (Jan '14) 1 hr 25 fdv 5,701
Gay bbm pins (Aug '13) 1 hr 5555dfhg 13,623
Nighy tells of pride in gay role 5 hr John 5
Thousands of Jehovah's Witnesses 'seek God's Ki... 5 hr g 35
skype sex 6 hr Dale 570
MEGA LEEK - Kaley Cuoco Nude Cell Phone Pic And... Mon Kaley Cuoco Nude 1
MEGA LEEK - Ariana Grande Nude Cell Phone Pics ... Mon Ariana Grande Nude 1
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

United Kingdom People Search