Since: May 12

Location hidden

#171 May 27, 2012
Just a thought wrote:
Jon888.The defeat of the British fleet at the Dardanelles gave Turkey a propaganda victory.UK suffered 73485 casualties with 21255 dead.
I know, shocking, one of the biggest disasters in british military history.

But i still stay that disaster helped with d.day preparations, by learning from mistakes in past seaborn invasions,
also dunkirk was embarrasing for the british, but it gave us the determination to make sure we were better prepared for the inevitable d.day, so we could at least take tanks and other heavy machinery ashore next time.

Location hidden

#172 May 27, 2012
Just a thought wrote:
Jon888.The US.Navy began amphibious warfare Aug 5,1942 at Guadalcanal.Aug 19,1942,a small force of Canadians,Americans and French troops stormed ashore for the Dieppe/Operation Jubilee raid.Winston Churchill said that"the results fully justified the heavy cost".5000 Canadians participated in the raid.3367 were killed,wounded,or taken prisoner.68%.The Germans lost no more than 591.
Lolz, i wondered how long it would take u to find something more recent, dont get me wrong, im not saying the americans had nothing to bring to the d.day effort. Im just sure the brits brought more, especially in the way of innovations, expertise and experience.

“Fly low, fly fast.”

Since: Apr 07

East Midlands, UK

#173 May 28, 2012
Just a thought wrote:
Jon888.The US.Navy began amphibious warfare Aug 5,1942 at Guadalcanal.Aug 19,1942,a small force of Canadians,Americans and French troops stormed ashore for the Dieppe/Operation Jubilee raid.Winston Churchill said that"the results fully justified the heavy cost".5000 Canadians participated in the raid.3367 were killed,wounded,or taken prisoner.68%.The Germans lost no more than 591.
The lessons learned from the Dieppe raid were invaluable in the planning for D-day

“Fly low, fly fast.”

East Midlands, UK

#174 May 28, 2012
Jon 888 wrote:
<quoted text>
Lolz, i wondered how long it would take u to find something more recent, dont get me wrong, im not saying the americans had nothing to bring to the d.day effort. Im just sure the brits brought more, especially in the way of innovations, expertise and experience.
Churchill's 'funnies' were developed and used on the British beaches and achieved considerable success. The US generals just laughed at them and refused to use them.

Location hidden

#175 May 28, 2012
supersonic boom wrote:
<quoted text>
Churchill's 'funnies' were developed and used on the British beaches and achieved considerable success. The US generals just laughed at them and refused to use them.
Its hobarts funnys, not churchills, there was churchills secret weapons, the u.s generals didnt laugh at them, they bought them. Radar, jet engine they even got the worlds first programable computer from us, the computer that helped decypher the enigma code, thats another thing that made d.day possible, we knew where most of the nazi forces were, why do u think there was so few lives lost against massive nazi defences, except at omaha beach where the americans got hammered and needed the british navys help to break through, i bet they weren't laughing at british "funnys" then. Those "funnys" were the reason there was so few casuaties on the commomwealth beaches.

Location hidden

#176 May 28, 2012
Sonic boom, why are defending the americans delusions that they saved us?, have you not even seen american documentaries? Their patriotism is completely out of control, they play up everything they did in the war to the max then downplay everything we did, or just edit it completely, no wonder they all think they saved us.

Do you think an american would defend my posts like your defending his?

“Fly low, fly fast.”

East Midlands, UK

#177 May 28, 2012
Jon 888 wrote:
<quoted text>
Its hobarts funnys, not churchills, there was churchills secret weapons, the u.s generals didnt laugh at them, they bought them. Radar, jet engine they even got the worlds first programable computer from us, the computer that helped decypher the enigma code, thats another thing that made d.day possible, we knew where most of the nazi forces were, why do u think there was so few lives lost against massive nazi defences, except at omaha beach where the americans got hammered and needed the british navys help to break through, i bet they weren't laughing at british "funnys" then. Those "funnys" were the reason there was so few casuaties on the commomwealth beaches.
Then why didn't the Americans use them on D-day? The US generals considered them useless and unneccesary for the invasion.

“Fly low, fly fast.”

East Midlands, UK

#178 May 28, 2012
Jon 888 wrote:
Sonic boom, why are defending the americans delusions that they saved us?, have you not even seen american documentaries? Their patriotism is completely out of control, they play up everything they did in the war to the max then downplay everything we did, or just edit it completely, no wonder they all think they saved us.
Do you think an american would defend my posts like your defending his?
I'm not defending anyone. I'm telling it as I see it.My uncle and grandad were on the British beaches driving lorries, DUKWs and petrol bowsers.

“Fly low, fly fast.”

East Midlands, UK

#179 May 28, 2012
What point of mine are you getting at exactly?

Location hidden

#180 May 28, 2012
supersonic boom wrote:
<quoted text>
Then why didn't the Americans use them on D-day? The US generals considered them useless and unneccesary for the invasion.
Its obvious to me why, the americans didn't want to be helped by the british, don't u know their history, most of them hate brits. They only bought the radar, jet engine etc, cause they knew they'd be left in the dust militarily if they didn't. Also they if they had really wanted to "save" us they would have entered w.w.1 and w.w.2 of their own free will, they joined both wars when they were put at risk, most of their decisions are completely self-serving today just as they were then.

Im not even going to argue with a brit over this, i take no pleasure in it, it just saddens me.

Location hidden

#181 May 28, 2012
Sorry, maybe u were'nt defending them, i just get defensive sometimes, thats all.

Location hidden

#182 May 28, 2012
Sorry, maybe u weren't defending them, i just get defensive sometimes is all.

Location hidden

#183 May 28, 2012
YES! It does irritate me that i cant edit 1 of those last 2 posts.
Just a thought

Beloit, WI

#184 May 31, 2012
Jon 888.America was fed up with"European entanglements."Between 1935 and 1937,US congress passed the Neutrality Acts.Among other things they 1)Prohibited the export of arms to countries at war.After WW2 broke out and European countries were falling to Hitler,revisions were made to allow arms/munitions sales provided the country used it's own ships to transport.Under the Lend-Lease Act of 1941,the Allies received 50 billion in aid and Britain received 50 destroyers in exchange for the lease of naval and airbases in British possessions in the Western hemisphere.
Just a thought

Beloit, WI

#185 May 31, 2012
Supersonic Boom.A hard lesson indeed.Never make a frontal attack on a heavily defended port without armor,artillery,proper landing craft,and the ability to resupply your troops in a timely manner.
Just a thought

Beloit, WI

#186 May 31, 2012
Jon888.The Navy was the only artillery support the troops had.Targets were hard to spot and there were fears of hitting friendly troops.The planners of the biggest amphibious landing in history felt that the naval gunfire support was inadequate for the mission.Rear Admiral John L.Hall[Commander,Task Force 124,Omaha Beach Assault Force]said"It is a crime to send me on the biggest amphibious attack in history with such inadequate naval gunfire support".
Frankz silverstein

United States

#187 Jun 6, 2012
UK technology is more advanced, and uk has more experience in wars, so uk can win!!
Morag

Guildford, UK

#188 Jun 6, 2012
I would love to say Britain...but now i don't think so...not a chance regrettably
Andrew

Chichester, UK

#189 Oct 19, 2012
Britian would beat China in a war as Britain has the best training in the world and some of the best equipment. We have nuclear subs Aircraft carriers and the most advanced destroyers in the world at this present momment. China has a few nukes but without them they wouldn't know what to do. There only carrier isn't even biult yet after 14 years, and more so it was an ex soviet one that the main structure was built in 1956.Granted that China has many men but if you cannot deploy themor put them to good use, why have them? The Chinnese soljers are deployed in wave atacks a tactic that the British were using in 1914.I rekon Britian could take the major citys and the coastal areas but not mainland china as thay would start using guerilla war fare and you would know who was freind or foe. A bit like Afganistan on a huge scale. Britain would win.
REALITY CHECK

Mitcham, UK

#190 Oct 19, 2012
Andrew wrote:
A bit like Afganistan on a huge scale. Britain would win.
Ahem... but Britain ain't winning in Afghanistan.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

United Kingdom Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Migrants in Britain a decade on: The Poles who ... (Apr '14) 8 min British and Proud 4,755
Thousands of Jehovah's Witnesses 'seek God's Ki... 15 min dee lightful 225
Gay bbm pins (Aug '13) 17 min hello 18,568
rocker/Goth/metal head/emo/scene bbm pin swap (Jan '14) 18 min ChloeeEatzBabiez 237
Ukip candidate: 'Gay donkey tried to rape my ho... 31 min Hugh Janus 3
So glad about everyone who died in the Blitz 44 min James 1
Did the SNP really want independence? 52 min James 1
Gay BBM pins 2014 (Jan '14) 1 hr Bi Virgin slut 7,992
skype sex (Mar '14) 19 hr come find me slut... 1,139
More from around the web