Irish Christmas sign to hang at City Hall again this year

Oct 2, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Fermanagh Today

DUP efforts to prevent the display of a Happy Christmas sign in Irish on Belfast City Hall were defeated in a vote on Monday night.

Comments
161 - 180 of 269 Comments Last updated Dec 2, 2012

Since: Nov 10

Dublin

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 21, 2012

Judged:

rio wrote:
<quoted text>
Well,give us some numbers.
How many were they? Where? When?
I don't know any, and the media never reported any.
That's what pissed off most of the people on the mainland.
You loyalists started the trouble, and then our soldiers from mainland, who had nothing to do with it, where sent in Ulster to mop your shit and die for it!
We lost a lot of good men, so that wankers like Paisley and Robinson could gloat and play God Almighty.
Most British soldiers who served in Northern Ireland came back disgusted by the attitude of protestants, and in sympathy with the ordinary catholic population.
Had the catholic population been treated correctly and given their civil rights, there would never have been an uprising, and the IRA would never have existed.
It's you f*cking lot that created it!
Heres an interesting video from 1969 that shows the Nationalists talking about being under attack. Watch from about 2.30 minutes into it

Dublin

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 21, 2012

Judged:

Allymac wrote:
<quoted text>If the ira hadn't prevented Catholics from joining then the situation wouldn't have been an issue.There are rotten apples in every barrel,but that doesn't make all the apples bad.
Well they were created to replace the B-Specials.

So I suppose Catholics probably thought ''more of the same''

Dublin

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 21, 2012

Judged:

Allymac wrote:
<quoted text>If the ira hadn't prevented Catholics from joining then the situation wouldn't have been an issue.There are rotten apples in every barrel,but that doesn't make all the apples bad.
Anyway Ally, regardless of all this sh*te. This island is changing very fast. In a strange way, we have a lot more in common than many of the new Irish citizens who have come here from abroad from other parts of Europe or elsewhere.
Allymac

Glasgow, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 21, 2012

Dubbadub wrote:
<quoted text>
Well they were created to replace the B-Specials.
So I suppose Catholics probably thought ''more of the same''
Their own fault for letting the ira bully them......the Prods didn't.
Allymac

Glasgow, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 21, 2012

Dubbadub wrote:
<quoted text>
Anyway Ally, regardless of all this sh*te. This island is changing very fast. In a strange way, we have a lot more in common than many of the new Irish citizens who have come here from abroad from other parts of Europe or elsewhere.
Catholics up here...yes I do know some....have told me that they feel they have more in common with Northern Protestants than they have with Southerners.

Dublin

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 21, 2012

Judged:

Allymac wrote:
<quoted text>Their own fault for letting the ira bully them......the Prods didn't.
Also the UDR's fault for having ''soldiers'' who were also members of Loyalist death squads....

Dublin

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 21, 2012

Judged:

Allymac wrote:
<quoted text>Catholics up here...yes I do know some....have told me that they feel they have more in common with Northern Protestants than they have with Southerners.
Well thats to be expected. I haven't met one Protestant down here who feels they have more in common with Northern Protestants than with us.....
rio

Beckenham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 21, 2012

Judged:

Allymac wrote:
One can understand the IRA preventing catholics from joining the British Army. The British Army was seen as the enemy for many nationalists!

The IRA didn't want catholics joining the RUC either, which was lock stock and barrel pro-loyalist. That's no brainer...

Anyone would try to stop his side from joining the enemy!
rio

Beckenham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 21, 2012

Dubbadub wrote:
<quoted text>
Well thats to be expected. I haven't met one Protestant down here who feels they have more in common with Northern Protestants than with us.....
I have met Catholics in the South who were suspicious of the Catholics in the North too, and didn't favour reunification of the island either.
Is that common, or just isolated opinion.

"If we werre one country, the South would have trouble with the Catholics from the North", told me someone, "They have a different mentality". Is that true?
I remember it well, because I asked the chap if he didn't mean the Protestants. "No, no, the Catholics" he insisted. And the others nodded.

When a country is split in two, people grow apart. I have seen that with East and West Germany: there is still a mental divide, 20 years after reunification.

Dublin

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 21, 2012

Judged:

rio wrote:
<quoted text>
I have met Catholics in the South who were suspicious of the Catholics in the North too, and didn't favour reunification of the island either.
Is that common, or just isolated opinion.
"If we werre one country, the South would have trouble with the Catholics from the North", told me someone, "They have a different mentality". Is that true?
I remember it well, because I asked the chap if he didn't mean the Protestants. "No, no, the Catholics" he insisted. And the others nodded.
When a country is split in two, people grow apart. I have seen that with East and West Germany: there is still a mental divide, 20 years after reunification.
I'd say most people who are against reunification, are against it for economic reasons. Particularly at the moment.

Yes there would be a few who are suspicious of the Catholics in the north. In my own personal experience they are very few and far between.
rio

Beckenham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 21, 2012

Judged:

Dubbadub wrote:
<quoted text>
The UDR had mostly reserves though didn't it?
The UDR were recruited in Ulster from 1970. They were part-time units to support the RUC. Unlike regular troops, they had police powers, which placed them in a different category than regiments of from mainland. These units were later disbanded.
Not really British troops in my eye.
rio

Beckenham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 21, 2012

Judged:

Dubbadub wrote:
<quoted text>
Also the UDR's fault for having ''soldiers'' who were also members of Loyalist death squads....
Apparently 97% of UDR were protestants, so it's no surprise many were also loyalist paramilitary, is it?
An excellent cover to gather information on nationalists, trace people and then go to execute then off duty...

I'm sure mike rock would approuve...

Apparently almost 197 UDR were killed; what a surprise, eh?
rio

Beckenham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 21, 2012

Judged:

Allymac wrote:
<quoted text>What a load of crap.I was born and bred in Belfast in a Protestant area known as the Shankill.I served in 2 different Regiments of the British Army over a period of almost 18 years,and spent a lot of time serving in Northern Ireland.I take it you were never in the Army or you wouldn't be spouting such a load of sh*te.Were you ever in NI during the Troubles?There are literally thousands of serving soldiers and ex-soldiers living over here....many of them from the mainland.One of the reasons local units of the regular Army...like the Royal Irish Rangers....were not deployed here was the murder of Ranger Best in Londonderry.This young Catholic soldier was murdered by the ira when on leave at his home in a republican area of the city.His crime against the republicans was to join his local British Army Regiment.He was killed in front of his family.The ira also made sure that Catholics didn't join the security forces by targetting those who did.You know fcuk all about what happened in NI so get real and stop hanging on your mate Dubbadubs tail,as he only knows what he reads in republican books and dodgy websites.By the way....the Rangers were eventually allowed to serve here and had men killed both on and off duty by the ira scum.
Well, that's what you say.
You are about as credible as a 2 bob banknote, and just as bent!

I don't need to say how, but I know more on Northern Ireland than you can imagine.
Did you know, for example, than in the first week of British troops deployed in Northern Ireland, 3 soldiers disappeared whilst on patrol? Two were later found to have deserted to the IRA, and the third one had ran away to the mainland. They were ALL fron Ulster.
Did you know that? That wasn't common knowledge, and the authorities kept is quiet.
After that, the MOD saw the risk and instructed regiments (I am talking about mainland regiments of the regular British Army here) not to send soldiers from Ulster on operational duty in Northern Ireland. Some had refused already anyway, others deserted.
I knew of several Ulstermen kept in the Glass House at Colchester for having deserted because they feared being sent in NI.
One of the reasons for not sending Ulster soldiers in NI was not to put their family at risk of reprisals, and to avoid blackmail; they were a security risk.
Also, many Ulster soldiers were not judged reliable or thought too heavily bias towards one community or the other, or also having paramilitary sympathies. Many would be subjected to family pressure too.
Later on, the IRA penetrated British regiments and there were instances where Catholic soldiers gave a mainland address to be send back in Ireland to gather intelligence for the IRA, steal weapons, etc...
Did you know all that soldier boy?
Allymac

Glasgow, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 22, 2012

rio wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, that's what you say.
You are about as credible as a 2 bob banknote, and just as bent!
I don't need to say how, but I know more on Northern Ireland than you can imagine.
Did you know, for example, than in the first week of British troops deployed in Northern Ireland, 3 soldiers disappeared whilst on patrol? Two were later found to have deserted to the IRA, and the third one had ran away to the mainland. They were ALL fron Ulster.
Did you know that? That wasn't common knowledge, and the authorities kept is quiet.
After that, the MOD saw the risk and instructed regiments (I am talking about mainland regiments of the regular British Army here) not to send soldiers from Ulster on operational duty in Northern Ireland. Some had refused already anyway, others deserted.
I knew of several Ulstermen kept in the Glass House at Colchester for having deserted because they feared being sent in NI.
One of the reasons for not sending Ulster soldiers in NI was not to put their family at risk of reprisals, and to avoid blackmail; they were a security risk.
Also, many Ulster soldiers were not judged reliable or thought too heavily bias towards one community or the other, or also having paramilitary sympathies. Many would be subjected to family pressure too.
Later on, the IRA penetrated British regiments and there were instances where Catholic soldiers gave a mainland address to be send back in Ireland to gather intelligence for the IRA, steal weapons, etc...
Did you know all that soldier boy?
All I can say to your ill-informed rant is...BOLLOCKS,you are either a liar or an eejit or both.
Allymac

Glasgow, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 22, 2012

Judged:

rio wrote:
<quoted text>
The UDR were recruited in Ulster from 1970. They were part-time units to support the RUC. Unlike regular troops, they had police powers, which placed them in a different category than regiments of from mainland. These units were later disbanded.
Not really British troops in my eye.
They weren't disbanded....they were amalgamated with the Royal Irish Rangers to form the Royal Irish Regiment.If not British troops then why were the RIR serving in Afghanistan.Are they Americans?The UDR had the same powers as other soldiers in NI,namely the blue and yellow cards each soldier had.Ever hear of them smartass?
jason norris

Preston, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 22, 2012

Judged:

Allymac wrote:
<quoted text>They weren't disbanded....they were amalgamated with the Royal Irish Rangers to form the Royal Irish Regiment.If not British troops then why were the RIR serving in Afghanistan.Are they Americans?The UDR had the same powers as other soldiers in NI,namely the blue and yellow cards each soldier had.Ever hear of them smartass?
this is a typical dyke, go beyond sex and there is nothing left!
frank

Moncton, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 22, 2012

Judged:

irish guy walks into a bar and sees a pretty lay sitting by herself. so he thinks to himself 'wonder if i can get lucky, think i'll go over and buy her a drink...

so he walks over to her table and says 'hello miss, mind if i buy you a drink?'

she says...'F Off, I'm lesbian'.

He replies, "Really? so what part of Lesbia are ya from?"
rio

UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 22, 2012

Judged:

Allymac wrote:
<quoted text>All I can say to your ill-informed rant is...BOLLOCKS,you are either a liar or an eejit or both.
I can understand, you were just a squaddie, so you never got the information I had access to.
So for you it's easy to deny everything.
I know a lot more about the troubles in Northen Ireland than you can imagine.
uraknob

North Shields, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 22, 2012

Judged:

rio wrote:
<quoted text>
I can understand, you were just a squaddie, so you never got the information I had access to.
the rubber room is calling.
Allymac

Glasgow, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 22, 2012

Judged:

rio wrote:
<quoted text>
OK General Rio LMFAO.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent United Kingdom Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Gay BBM pins 2014 (Jan '14) 7 min UK-ONLY 5,355
Demonstration to call for reopening of West Bea... 17 min MKUltra 2
Why do nepalese ppl copy chinese, japanese and ... (Feb '12) 20 min Mandira lamsal 193
War India vs Britain, Who will win? (Oct '13) 46 min John 91
Women being abused during cross gender exams 48 min I can read 79
UK Jews feel anti-Semitic backlash 57 min DINIE the fat bla... 1,298
Gay bbm pins (Aug '13) 1 hr jacko 12,997
skype sex 2 hr sexual82 508

Search the United Kingdom Forum:
•••