Irish Christmas sign to hang at City Hall again this year

Oct 2, 2012 Full story: Fermanagh Today 269

DUP efforts to prevent the display of a Happy Christmas sign in Irish on Belfast City Hall were defeated in a vote on Monday night.

Full Story
mick rock

UK

#152 Nov 21, 2012
rio wrote:
<quoted text>
How many British soldiers do you think died in the shooting gallery in Northern Ireland so that the Unionist could still rule the roost whilst they could keeep on discriminating the catholics?
Maybe if the "loyalists" had acted fairer with the Catholic population, we wouldn't have had all the violence spilling over on the mainland as well.
Because the sectarian Protestants live in a timewarp and don't get on with their neighbours, everyone had to suffer.
Also, do tell us how many Ulster Loyalists served in the British Army in Northern Ireland, and how many died there! Not many!
You expected the English, the Welsh and the Scottish soldiers to do the fighting for you whilst you pranced like sissy boys in your stupid orangist regalias!
The last part of your post is disgusting and you should hang your head low,you really are a revolting little rat and should be ashamed of yourself.
rio

Beckenham, UK

#153 Nov 21, 2012
Dubbadub wrote:
<quoted text>
Many of these Loyalists were off making big bucks and living a champagne lifesyle with illegal profits while ordinary decent men from the rest of the UK, young soldiers and the like were left picking up the mess made by bigots who didn't want to have an equal society and would stoop to any level to stop it from happening.
Well, I have to get comfirmation about that, but I believe that soldiers from Northern Ireland were exampted from doing tours of duty in Ulster during the troubles.

A school friend of mine who served in the RAF Regiments told me that when his unit was called for a tour of duty in Northern Ireland, the soldiers from Ulster were sent to Germany instead.

There was an unwritten rule that "Irish don't serve in Ireland", apparently, to prevent desertion, weapons and ammunition missing,to stop fraternisation with the paramilitary, frequent contact with the family, blackmail, etc...

So, I can almost categorically say that no Loyalist ever served in Ulster during the trouble, and none ever died for his country.
So, the Loyalist stired up the shit, but our young soldiers paid the price.
mick rock

UK

#154 Nov 21, 2012
rio wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, I have to get comfirmation about that, but I believe that soldiers from Northern Ireland were exampted from doing tours of duty in Ulster during the troubles.
A school friend of mine who served in the RAF Regiments told me that when his unit was called for a tour of duty in Northern Ireland, the soldiers from Ulster were sent to Germany instead.
There was an unwritten rule that "Irish don't serve in Ireland", apparently, to prevent desertion, weapons and ammunition missing,to stop fraternisation with the paramilitary, frequent contact with the family, blackmail, etc...
So, I can almost categorically say that no Loyalist ever served in Ulster during the trouble, and none ever died for his country.
Define loyalist,you vile,abhorent little creep
rio

Beckenham, UK

#155 Nov 21, 2012
mick rock wrote:
<quoted text>Define loyalist,
Loyalist = unionist = anyone opposed to catholic nationalists

Don't you know that?

How many of them died in British uniform in Northen Ireland?
mick rock

UK

#156 Nov 21, 2012
rio wrote:
<quoted text>
Loyalist = unionist = anyone opposed to catholic nationalists
Don't you know that?
How many of them died in British uniform in Northen Ireland?
i am aware of several examples of ulster loyalists who have served with the british army and have died in northern ireland but i am not here to swap death facts with you because your have proven where your bigotted allegiances lie also i cannot believe blinkered scum like yourself can spout so much rotten odious rubbish.
rio

Beckenham, UK

#157 Nov 21, 2012
mick rock wrote:
<quoted text>i am aware of several examples of ulster loyalists who have served with the british army and have died in northern ireland .
Well,give us some numbers.

How many were they? Where? When?

I don't know any, and the media never reported any.
That's what pissed off most of the people on the mainland.

You loyalists started the trouble, and then our soldiers from mainland, who had nothing to do with it, where sent in Ulster to mop your shit and die for it!

We lost a lot of good men, so that wankers like Paisley and Robinson could gloat and play God Almighty.

Most British soldiers who served in Northern Ireland came back disgusted by the attitude of protestants, and in sympathy with the ordinary catholic population.

Had the catholic population been treated correctly and given their civil rights, there would never have been an uprising, and the IRA would never have existed.
It's you f*cking lot that created it!
Allymac

Glasgow, UK

#158 Nov 21, 2012
rio wrote:
<quoted text>
You loyalists started the trouble, and then our soldiers from mainland, who had nothing to do with it, where sent in Ulster to mop your shit and die for it!
We lost a lot of good men, so that wankers like Paisley and Robinson could gloat and play God Almighty.
Most British soldiers who served in Northern Ireland came back disgusted by the attitude of protestants, and in sympathy with the ordinary catholic population.
Had the catholic population been treated correctly and given their civil rights, there would never have been an uprising, and the IRA would never have existed.
What a load of crap.I was born and bred in Belfast in a Protestant area known as the Shankill.I served in 2 different Regiments of the British Army over a period of almost 18 years,and spent a lot of time serving in Northern Ireland.I take it you were never in the Army or you wouldn't be spouting such a load of sh*te.Were you ever in NI during the Troubles?There are literally thousands of serving soldiers and ex-soldiers living over here....many of them from the mainland.One of the reasons local units of the regular Army...like the Royal Irish Rangers....were not deployed here was the murder of Ranger Best in Londonderry.This young Catholic soldier was murdered by the ira when on leave at his home in a republican area of the city.His crime against the republicans was to join his local British Army Regiment.He was killed in front of his family.The ira also made sure that Catholics didn't join the security forces by targetting those who did.You know fcuk all about what happened in NI so get real and stop hanging on your mate Dubbadubs tail,as he only knows what he reads in republican books and dodgy websites.By the way....the Rangers were eventually allowed to serve here and had men killed both on and off duty by the ira scum.

Since: Nov 10

Dublin

#159 Nov 21, 2012
mick rock wrote:
<quoted text>A typically one sided and bigotted rant but i have come to expect that of off you.So until the ira came along there was no violence directed on a large scale towards the protestant community in ulster and one last point were the ira involved in these peaceful civil rights marches as in firing at the british army - this is what you call peace
Decades of institutionalised discrimination.

Why?

Also there wasn't a Provsional IRA until the RUC, B-Specials and Loyalists went on the rampage against Nationalist areas of Northern Ireland.

Why were 7000 Catholics burned out of their homes?

The Civil Rights Movement in Northern Ireland existed years before the P.I.R.A.
rio

Beckenham, UK

#160 Nov 21, 2012
Allymac wrote:
<quoted text>What a load of crap.I was born and bred in Belfast in a Protestant area known as the Shankill.I served in 2 different Regiments of the British Army over a period of almost 18 years,and spent a lot of time serving in Northern Ireland.I take it you were never in the Army or you wouldn't be spouting such a load of sh*te.Were you ever in NI during the Troubles?There are literally thousands of serving soldiers and ex-soldiers living over here....many of them from the mainland.One of the reasons local units of the regular Army...like the Royal Irish Rangers....were not deployed here was the murder of Ranger Best in Londonderry.This young Catholic soldier was murdered by the ira when on leave at his home in a republican area of the city.His crime against the republicans was to join his local British Army Regiment.He was killed in front of his family.The ira also made sure that Catholics didn't join the security forces by targetting those who did.You know fcuk all about what happened in NI so get real and stop hanging on your mate Dubbadubs tail,as he only knows what he reads in republican books and dodgy websites.By the way....the Rangers were eventually allowed to serve here and had men killed both on and off duty by the ira scum.
More information on this tomorrow, but I think you are wrong.
As far as I know, no British soldier giving his address in Ulster could serve in the British Army in Northern Ireland.

Dublin

#161 Nov 21, 2012
rio wrote:
<quoted text>
I admit that I am bias because I have some Irish bllod in me, and distant relatives in the Republic. I get on well with Irish people, and I love the country too - very under-estimated in my book.
I went to Belfast once, about 15 years ago -on business for the DSS- and the atmosphere was completely different. I was supposed to visit several DSS offices to report on new procedures, some in Catholic areas, some in Protestants areas. You cannot imagine the trouble I had to find taxis to cross the city, etc... Everybody was so suspicious!
The last straw was me going to the pub in the evening with a group of clerks. In our conversation, I mentioned that I had family in Ireland. When I said it was in the republic, that was like a bombshell; most people departed without saying good bye. That was a terrible experience for me...
Yeah I know what you mean. It doesn't surprise me at all. There is just a sort of general hostility/hatred there among some Protestants that doesn't exist down here, not where I'm from anyway. I'd say it was a bad experience. I just don't understand the hatred and where it comes from. That being said I have a friend who is a Protestant from NI and he and his family couldn't be nicer. But some of the others do have a hatred that is quite hard to understand.
Allymac

Glasgow, UK

#162 Nov 21, 2012
Dubbadub wrote:
<quoted text>
Decades of institutionalised discrimination.
Why?
Also there wasn't a Provsional IRA until the RUC, B-Specials and Loyalists went on the rampage against Nationalist areas of Northern Ireland.
Why were 7000 Catholics burned out of their homes?
The Civil Rights Movement in Northern Ireland existed years before the P.I.R.A.
There was always an ira....the provos were just a breakaway group.Did you never hear of the Border campaign of the late 1950's to early 60's?An ira failure...but it showed they were armed and still hanging about.Did only Catholics lose their homes....I think not.

Dublin

#163 Nov 21, 2012
rio wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah I've heard of that too. I think it depended on the regiment.

I know the Ulster Defence Regiment was a sort of reserve regiment of the British Army that operated in Northern Ireland. There is many instances of collusion between this regiment and Loyalist paramilitaries. Some members of this regiment were also members of Loyalist paramilitaries. It wasn't a good idea to set it up really.

The regiment doesn't exist under the same name anymore. It was amalgamated with the Royal Irish Rangers to make the Royal Irish Regiment. Probably because of the UDR's history of links to Loyalist paramilitaries etc....

Very interesting article about it here.....

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2006/may/04/nort...

Dublin

#164 Nov 21, 2012
rio wrote:
<quoted text>
Exactly right. Sure if they had just accepted Home Rule in 1912 the Troubles wouldn't have happened, Irish Republicanism would never have became a national movement and the IRA of any era would have never existed.

They seem to have a history of not agreeing to the sensible option, then making things 100 times worse.....

Dublin

#165 Nov 21, 2012
Allymac wrote:
<quoted text>There was always an ira....the provos were just a breakaway group.Did you never hear of the Border campaign of the late 1950's to early 60's?An ira failure...but it showed they were armed and still hanging about.Did only Catholics lose their homes....I think not.
Oh yes the Border Campaign, a 5 year conflict that left 6 RUC dead and 11 IRA dead.

More people than that were killed on some days during the Troubles......

Should have just listened to the peaceful Civil Rights Movement and given the Catholics equal rights.....

The Provisional IRA would've never been formed. The Troubles wouldn't have happened.

Should have just accepted Home Rule in 1912 and went into government with the peaceful IPP.....

Any IRA wouldn't have existed and Ireland would probably still be in the UK, or at least the Commonwealth.

Sometimes there are better options than saying ''NO'' and ''NEVER''....
Allymac

Glasgow, UK

#166 Nov 21, 2012
rio wrote:
<quoted text>
More information on this tomorrow, but I think you are wrong.
As far as I know, no British soldier giving his address in Ulster could serve in the British Army in Northern Ireland.
Well my home address was my parents house on the Shankill in Belfast and I served in many different parts of NI.There were even guys from Eire in British Regiments.You really are full of it.The UDR was a Regiment of the British Army and all its members had NI addresses.I knew plenty of NI soldiers who served here with various Regiments.
Allymac

Glasgow, UK

#167 Nov 21, 2012
Dubbadub wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah I've heard of that too. I think it depended on the regiment.
I know the Ulster Defence Regiment was a sort of reserve regiment of the British Army that operated in Northern Ireland. There is many instances of collusion between this regiment and Loyalist paramilitaries. Some members of this regiment were also members of Loyalist paramilitaries. It wasn't a good idea to set it up really.
The regiment doesn't exist under the same name anymore. It was amalgamated with the Royal Irish Rangers to make the Royal Irish Regiment. Probably because of the UDR's history of links to Loyalist paramilitaries etc....
Very interesting article about it here.....
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2006/may/04/nort...
The ira kept most Catholics from joining the UDR....that's why it was mostly Protestant.The Regiment lost a lot of members....most of them murdered when off duty.

Dublin

#168 Nov 21, 2012
Allymac wrote:
<quoted text>Well my home address was my parents house on the Shankill in Belfast and I served in many different parts of NI.There were even guys from Eire in British Regiments.You really are full of it.The UDR was a Regiment of the British Army and all its members had NI addresses.I knew plenty of NI soldiers who served here with various Regiments.
The UDR had mostly reserves though didn't it?

Dublin

#169 Nov 21, 2012
Allymac wrote:
<quoted text>The ira kept most Catholics from joining the UDR....that's why it was mostly Protestant.The Regiment lost a lot of members....most of them murdered when off duty.
Do you not think that the behaviour of the UDR, e.g colluding with Loyalist extremists who wanted to wipe Catholics out, would have also put Catholics off joining?

The UDR had links to Loyalist paramilitaries though. In fairness....
Allymac

Glasgow, UK

#170 Nov 21, 2012
Dubbadub wrote:
<quoted text>
The UDR had mostly reserves though didn't it?
At one time they had 11 battalions comprised of part timers and full timers.
Allymac

Glasgow, UK

#171 Nov 21, 2012
Dubbadub wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you not think that the behaviour of the UDR, e.g colluding with Loyalist extremists who wanted to wipe Catholics out, would have also put Catholics off joining?
The UDR had links to Loyalist paramilitaries though. In fairness....
If the ira hadn't prevented Catholics from joining then the situation wouldn't have been an issue.There are rotten apples in every barrel,but that doesn't make all the apples bad.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

United Kingdom Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
crossdresser bbm pins??? 11 min RBf 55
Grooming gang preyed on teenagers 50 min yep 1
Migrants in Britain a decade on: The Poles who ... (Apr '14) 55 min lumpol 4,413
Gay bbm pins (Aug '13) 57 min mark newcastle uk 17,556
Skype chat ? ;-) 1 hr ad 51595E1E 4
gay bbm pins leeds & bradford 1 hr Alistair 9
Bradford west Yorkshire informers (Mar '13) 1 hr digger56 26
Gay BBM pins 2014 (Jan '14) 1 hr 7EEFEE6D 7,530
skype sex (Mar '14) 3 hr wombler60 1,031
G2a - Cheap PC Games (Steam) *Coupons Inside* Wed G2a Games 1

United Kingdom People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE