Irish Christmas sign to hang at City Hall again this year

Oct 2, 2012 Full story: Fermanagh Today 269

DUP efforts to prevent the display of a Happy Christmas sign in Irish on Belfast City Hall were defeated in a vote on Monday night.

Full Story

Since: Nov 10

Dublin

#91 Nov 20, 2012
mick rock wrote:
<quoted text> I am not going into a long winded explanation as i have been through this so many times but have you ever asked yourself why they scuppered home rule as you put it ? and for the record i do not need to check out any history
Why did they scupper Home Rule? Tell me? I've yet to hear an answer from a Unionist about this.

Its an embarrassing historical fact that Unionists try to hide.

The British Government and the IPP, House of Commons, majority of Irish people etc were all agreed on Home Rule within the UK. And the Unionists in Ulster blocked it through threats of violence and war.

Trechery really when you think of it. We were all British citizens back then. The British Government had made a decision, the IPP had the mandate of the majority of Irish people, the House of Commons supported it. And then the Unionists begin threatening terrorism against the Irish people (British citizens) if this democratic decision was brought in.

Shame really. There could have been a lot of lives spared on this island in the past 100 years if you had accepted democracy and the decision of the British Government.

Dublin

#92 Nov 20, 2012
mick rock wrote:
<quoted text>Well we differ on some of your points but why would the unionist population let itself get swallowed up in a united ireland that tolerates no one apart fron irish catholics.there would be a million promises but thats just a rouse.As i pointed out before read the sinn fein oath,that is the way i see the irish republic aswell as some in the north and they will never change,most will never go to church but thus underlying bitterness will never go away because thats what they are still preaching in thier schools,clubs,political meetings,churches to those who attend and anywhere else they get away with it.
First point: If you had accepted Home Rule in 1912-1913 there WOULDN'T have EVER been an IRA. Irish Republicanism would have NEVER became a national movement.

Anyway we are where we are. We have Catholics, Protestants, Muslims, Jews, Mormons, Buddists, Hindus, Sikhs, Jehovah's Witnesses etc all in the Republic of Ireland. NONE of them are discriminated against. So you are talking nonsense. Also it must be noted that the first President of Ireland was a Protestant, and many Protestants in the Republic have served as ministers, TD's etc since the state was founded. This you cannot deny as its a fact.

Sinn Fein are only the fourth biggest party in the Dail (Irish Parliament). Why are you so afraid of them? Fine Gael, Labour and Fianna Fail all have more seats than them. Why not read what they believe, they should be regarded as more important seeing as they all have more power than Sinn Fein.

Your clutching at straws, really.....
rio

Beckenham, UK

#93 Nov 20, 2012
mick rock wrote:
sinn fein is the second biggest party in irish republican politics so i take thier oath very seriously .
Wrong! Sinn Fein is a minority party in Southern Ireland, as proves the last ballot.

Fine Gail, 45.8%
Labour, 22.3%
Fianna Fail, 12%
Sinn Fein 8.4%.

Dublin

#94 Nov 20, 2012
mick rock wrote:
sinn fein is the second biggest party in irish republican politics so i take thier oath very seriously and these people will never change and neither will thier oath,so is ulster meant to trust this and i believe i am intelligent enough to understand there is no compromise with this mob of murderers with smiles of crocodiles who will eventually get into
power in the south and make that part of the island suffer aswell.
What do you mean by Irish Republican politics?

Anyway Sinn Fein is only the fourth largest party in Dail Eireann.

Sinn Fein has NEVER GOVERNED the Republic of Ireland.

So we've established your paranoid about falsehoods.

What other excuses are there? Seeing as your current ones have been debunked.
Allymac

Glasgow, UK

#95 Nov 20, 2012
rio wrote:
<quoted text>
These Protestant settlers had enjoyed many priviledges for centuries, and weren't willing to give them up, understandably, one would say.
They were mostly landlords, acting like the nobility in Ireland.
It's no surprise they resisted Home Rule; it was a blackmail.
But what was wicked, from the British government, was to partition Ireland and amputate it from the 6 counties, because there was no Home Rule majority there.
We are still living with the aftermath of that decision now.
The Anglican Church ensured that only their members received favours.Presbyterians and other dissenters were not treated well.The Catholics seem to overlook this fact when they are whinging about their treatment.Ireland was never a united country until the English took over and tried to civilise the population.No hope of it being unified now as many Catholics are choosing to vote for pro-union parties.
mick rock

UK

#96 Nov 20, 2012
Dubbadub wrote:
<quoted text>
Why did they scupper Home Rule? Tell me? I've yet to hear an answer from a Unionist about this.
Its an embarrassing historical fact that Unionists try to hide.
The British Government and the IPP, House of Commons, majority of Irish people etc were all agreed on Home Rule within the UK. And the Unionists in Ulster blocked it through threats of violence and war.
Trechery really when you think of it. We were all British citizens back then. The British Government had made a decision, the IPP had the mandate of the majority of Irish people, the House of Commons supported it. And then the Unionists begin threatening terrorism against the Irish people (British citizens) if this democratic decision was brought in.
Shame really. There could have been a lot of lives spared on this island in the past 100 years if you had accepted democracy and the decision of the British Government.
They did not want home rule because they did not want to stand with so many traitorous snakes(not all,many brave men)
mick rock

UK

#97 Nov 20, 2012
Dubbadub wrote:
<quoted text>
What do you mean by Irish Republican politics?
Anyway Sinn Fein is only the fourth largest party in Dail Eireann.
Sinn Fein has NEVER GOVERNED the Republic of Ireland.
So we've established your paranoid about falsehoods.
What other excuses are there? Seeing as your current ones have been debunked.
republican politics north or south.Watch on because you seem to be blinkered as well as biased,i said they will govern and they will.I not scared or paranoid of anything on this planet little man but i understand where the sinn fein/ira political/murdering ship is heading and for what purposes, so i have to keep a close eye on these murdering scum as should you and your kin if you call yourself a peaceful man
rio

UK

#98 Nov 20, 2012
mick rock wrote:
<quoted text>They did not want home rule because they did not want to stand with so many traitorous snakes(not all,many brave men)
They simply didn't want the Home Rule because they would have become a powerless minority in an united Ireland. So, they prefered to sabotage the democratic choice for their own interests.
rio

UK

#99 Nov 20, 2012
mick rock wrote:
<quoted text>They did not want home rule because they did not want to stand with so many traitorous snakes(not all,many brave men)
and then you say you are not sectarian??

It seems I am hearing Ian Paisley here !!!

Dublin

#100 Nov 20, 2012
mick rock wrote:
The IPP had many Protestant members. What was so bad about us all governing ourselves within the UK? Why were the Unionists so opposed to this? You never answered that properly.

The NI assembly is like Home Rule, are the current NI assembly also all traitorous snakes?

The traitorous snakes where the ones who opposed the democratic decision of the British Government, the Irish people (IPP), and the House of Commons. Using threats of violence and murder, spitting on the legitimacy of British democracy and threatening other British citizens with violence and murder. All because we might have been able (ALL of us on this island) to govern ourselves within the UK.

Bit of a silly move eh? And an overreaction to boot.....

Dublin

#101 Nov 20, 2012
mick rock wrote:
<quoted text>republican politics north or south.Watch on because you seem to be blinkered as well as biased,i said they will govern and they will.I not scared or paranoid of anything on this planet little man but i understand where the sinn fein/ira political/murdering ship is heading and for what purposes, so i have to keep a close eye on these murdering scum as should you and your kin if you call yourself a peaceful man
Who is the biggest Republican party then? If Sinn Fein are the second biggest?

Well maybe Sinn Fein wouldn't be so big in NI now if you had played ball with the SDLP sooner? You know?

Dublin

#102 Nov 20, 2012
Allymac wrote:
<quoted text>The Anglican Church ensured that only their members received favours.Presbyterians and other dissenters were not treated well.The Catholics seem to overlook this fact when they are whinging about their treatment.Ireland was never a united country until the English took over and tried to civilise the population.No hope of it being unified now as many Catholics are choosing to vote for pro-union parties.
The Presbyterians sold out though really. Presbyterians were welcomed into the elite and then started putting the boot into the Catholics. They forgot their own roots.

Like the United Irishmen, inspired by the American revolution and revolutionary France who fought to establish an independent Irish Republic in 1798. A republic of religious freedom. Many of them were Presbyterians.

Theobald Wolfe Tone was the leader, a Protestant. The father of Irish Republicanism. A great man.

Some of his quotes:

''To unite Protestant, Catholic and Dissenter under the common name of Irishmen in order break the connection with England, the never failing source of all our political evils, that was my aim''

'' Many suffer so that some day all Irish people may know justice and peace''

''The English government having determined not to respect my rights as a French citizen and officer, and summoned me before a court martial, I have been sentenced to death ... I have served the Republic faithfully, and my death, as well as that of my brother, a victim like myself, and condemned in the same manner about a month ago, will sufficiently prove it ... I have sacrificed for the Republic all that man holds dear - my wife, my children, my liberty, my life''

He was sentanced to death, not even given the respect of a death by firing squad. He was to be hung like a common criminal, he slit his own throat. Then was left lying there dying from his wounds for 8 days.

The father of Irish Republicanism was a PROTESTANT!!!

Dublin

#103 Nov 20, 2012
Allymac wrote:
Ireland was never a united country until the English took over and tried to civilise the population.No hope of it being unified now as many Catholics are choosing to vote for pro-union parties.
Ireland had different kingdoms yes. So what? The Irish people existed for thousands of years before the invaders came. Your point is?

How exactly did the population need to be civilised? Tell me? What examples do you have? Funny how Ireland has older intelligent structures than anything in Britian, if we were so uncivilised? Give me some examples though of why we needed to be civilised? Shut me up?

Civilised by people who practised polygamy while Irish Gaelic laws banned such activities. Oh what a more civilised bunch the English of that time where.....

Dublin

#104 Nov 20, 2012
One of my favourite quotes is from Henry Grattan, another Protestant of Anglo-Irish stock.

''The Irish Protestant could never be free until the Irish Catholic ceased to be a slave''
mick rock

UK

#105 Nov 20, 2012
rio wrote:
<quoted text>
and then you say you are not sectarian??
It seems I am hearing Ian Paisley here !!!
Whats sectarian about the truth
mick rock

UK

#106 Nov 20, 2012
Dubbadub wrote:
<quoted text>
The Presbyterians sold out though really. Presbyterians were welcomed into the elite and then started putting the boot into the Catholics. They forgot their own roots.
Like the United Irishmen, inspired by the American revolution and revolutionary France who fought to establish an independent Irish Republic in 1798. A republic of religious freedom. Many of them were Presbyterians.
Theobald Wolfe Tone was the leader, a Protestant. The father of Irish Republicanism. A great man.
Some of his quotes:
''To unite Protestant, Catholic and Dissenter under the common name of Irishmen in order break the connection with England, the never failing source of all our political evils, that was my aim''
'' Many suffer so that some day all Irish people may know justice and peace''
''The English government having determined not to respect my rights as a French citizen and officer, and summoned me before a court martial, I have been sentenced to death ... I have served the Republic faithfully, and my death, as well as that of my brother, a victim like myself, and condemned in the same manner about a month ago, will sufficiently prove it ... I have sacrificed for the Republic all that man holds dear - my wife, my children, my liberty, my life''
He was sentanced to death, not even given the respect of a death by firing squad. He was to be hung like a common criminal, he slit his own throat. Then was left lying there dying from his wounds for 8 days.
The father of Irish Republicanism was a PROTESTANT!!!
You point out the wikipedia obvious,you know there is a stronger hidden agenda in all of this and you know the vast majority of republicans on both sides of the border will never accept ulster protestants and it does not matter what the situation is about governing or anything else,so dont come on here with the we are all fair men crap !

Dublin

#107 Nov 20, 2012
mick rock wrote:
<quoted text>Whats sectarian about the truth
The truth?

That Catholics have a mass secret plot to have more kids than the Protestants and be the majority?

Haha....

Dublin

#108 Nov 20, 2012
mick rock wrote:
<quoted text>You point out the wikipedia obvious,you know there is a stronger hidden agenda in all of this and you know the vast majority of republicans on both sides of the border will never accept ulster protestants and it does not matter what the situation is about governing or anything else,so dont come on here with the we are all fair men crap !
There is no ''hidden agenda''.

There never was!!!

Your ruling classes have fed you all fear fear and more fear for hundreds of years. Treated you all like usefull idiots, some muscle to use as a means of control. Fear of what? Whats the hidden agenda?

Its baseless rubbish. How in this day and age can more of you not see through it?

I see some ex Loyalist Paramilitaries talking who are mostly working class and they are LESS sectarian than many of the upper class clowns who benefitted greatly off what used to be the status quo.
rio

UK

#109 Nov 20, 2012
mick rock wrote:
<quoted text>Whats sectarian about the truth
You don't speak the truth: you are bigoted as they come!

You think terrorism and violence only came from one side in Ulster?

What about these loyalist paramilitary killings? Have you forgotten about that?

And who started the events? What provoked the British Army intervention in the first place?
rio

UK

#110 Nov 20, 2012
mick rock wrote:
<quoted text>You point out the wikipedia obvious,you know there is a stronger hidden agenda in all of this and you know the vast majority of republicans on both sides of the border will never accept ulster protestants and it does not matter what the situation is about governing or anything else,so dont come on here with the we are all fair men crap !
I know Protestants lving in the South, and they don't seem to complain.
I think there are even elected Protestant politicians in the republic, or there was.

The hidden agenda was the loyalists in Ulster refusing to recognise the rights of the catholics and discriminating against them!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

United Kingdom Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Gay bbm pins (Aug '13) 10 min Virgin boy 16,168
UK Jews feel anti-Semitic backlash 11 min kunte kinte 1,600
Argentine's Falklands minister: 'There is absol... 14 min Deanstreet 35
A Briton who saved hundreds of children from th... 23 min karl 3
loan offer in setting up a business 1 hr DR RAPH 1
Gay BBM pins 2014 (Jan '14) 1 hr 7F3E55CD sexyboi 6,965
bi or les girls bbm pin swap (Mar '13) 1 hr naynay 169
skype sex (Mar '14) 1 hr rhino120 855

United Kingdom People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE