Irish Christmas sign to hang at City Hall again this year

Oct 2, 2012 Full story: Fermanagh Today 269

DUP efforts to prevent the display of a Happy Christmas sign in Irish on Belfast City Hall were defeated in a vote on Monday night.

Full Story
Allymac

Glasgow, UK

#213 Nov 22, 2012
Dubbadub wrote:
<quoted text>
No not surprising really. Here is an interesting article about it, I don't know if I've already shared it?
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2006/may/04/nort...
Some excerpts from it
''Documents uncovered in the National Archives have shown for the first time that the government was aware of widespread collusion between Ulster Defence Regiment soldiers and loyalist paramilitaries.''
''suspected that as many as 200 army rifles and sub machine guns had been passed to loyalist groups.''
''Margaret Thatcher, shortly after becoming opposition leader, was warned in a briefing by Downing Street that the UDR was heavily infiltrated by paramilitaries, another document reveals. Despite official concerns, the largest regiment in the UK was allowed to expand. By 1976 it consisted of 11 battalions.''
''The military intelligence report raises concerns that members of the regiment colluded in a series of weapons raids by loyalists on UDR bases in Lurgan, Co Armagh, Belfast, and Claudy RUC station in Co Londonderry.''
''The "best single source of weapons, and the only significant source of modern weapons, for Protestant extremist groups was the UDR", it notes.''
Some Loyalist attacks were carried out at checkpoints by men in British Army uniforms, not hard to work out who that was.....
Do you not have Army surplus stores down south?
mick rock

UK

#214 Nov 22, 2012
rio wrote:
<quoted text>
My sympathies are with a stable Ireland that doesn't threaten the peace on the mainland where I live.
To a certain extend, I couldn't care less if you were killing each others for fun as you did for so many years, but please, do your killing in Ireland and not in the streets of London!
Having said that, I have no objection to an united Ireland, republican and nationalist. I don't think Britain would suffer immensely of the loss of Ulster. The republic of Ireland, for example,has become a friendly country to us, an European partner and a good neighbour. An united Ireland could be the same.
I must say that I have very little sympathy for some quarters of the loyalist community (mostly loyalist to themselves, it seems) that display an amount of arrogance, sectarian attitude, religious prejudice and intolerance in defending what is a rear-guard and truly a lost cause. Really, if they are so keen to stay British, they should come to the mainland and contribute here, instead of making troubles, and expecting our young soldiers to die for them!
I don't absolve the catholic extremists, the IRA, etc... for the violence, the bombings, but I can understand that being downtrodden for generations, they had reached breaking point. The Unionists had denied they equal rights for centuries, the vote, job opportunities, economic parity, etc...
Now, is your last post a declaration of war?
I dont understand how the post relates to war but anyway where are you going to fight from behind your safe dss desk in a far away place you paper shuffling halfwit
Allymac

Glasgow, UK

#215 Nov 22, 2012
Dubbadub wrote:
<quoted text>
It wasn't hard for me to find a Protestant down here. For several reasons....
Do you keep one in your cellar?LOL.

Since: Nov 10

Dublin

#216 Nov 22, 2012
Allymac wrote:
<quoted text>Will the Irish not see these English people as invaders.....or will they be glad to see the colour of their money?
There are over 100,000 British citizens living in the Republic.

How would they be invaders?

Invaders are the type that kick you off your land, ship thousands as slaves to the Carribean, not let you own land or be represented politically because of your religion, not let you get educated because of your religion, etc.

I don't believe any of our foreign nationals living here are trying to do that.

Since: Nov 10

Dublin

#217 Nov 22, 2012
rio wrote:
But then again, some rural folks can be resentfull of outsiders, like I have seen in Scotland.
True, some rural folks are even resentful of those from different parts of their own country.
rio

Beckenham, UK

#218 Nov 22, 2012
Dubbadub wrote:
<quoted text>
No not surprising really. Here is an interesting article about it, I don't know if I've already shared it?
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2006/may/04/nort...
Some excerpts from it
''Documents uncovered in the National Archives have shown for the first time that the government was aware of widespread collusion between Ulster Defence Regiment soldiers and loyalist paramilitaries.''
''suspected that as many as 200 army rifles and sub machine guns had been passed to loyalist groups.''
''Margaret Thatcher, shortly after becoming opposition leader, was warned in a briefing by Downing Street that the UDR was heavily infiltrated by paramilitaries, another document reveals. Despite official concerns, the largest regiment in the UK was allowed to expand. By 1976 it consisted of 11 battalions.''
''The military intelligence report raises concerns that members of the regiment colluded in a series of weapons raids by loyalists on UDR bases in Lurgan, Co Armagh, Belfast, and Claudy RUC station in Co Londonderry.''
''The "best single source of weapons, and the only significant source of modern weapons, for Protestant extremist groups was the UDR", it notes.''
Some Loyalist attacks were carried out at checkpoints by men in British Army uniforms, not hard to work out who that was.....
Well here you , you see.
I suppose the pro-loyalists on this thread approve of that.

But the UDR then was an ad-hoc unit recruited in NI, to support the RUC (itself pro-loyalist) and never considered a traditional British Army Regiment in the traditional sense. They were part-time locals and I think they were looked down by mainland regiments on duty in NI; different mentality, different training, no historical tradition, etc...

With all this collusion between the loyalist paramilitary, the RUC and the UDR, it's no wonder the Catholic community was given a hard time, and that the IRA became so extreme.

Since: Nov 10

Dublin

#219 Nov 22, 2012
Allymac wrote:
<quoted text>Do you not have Army surplus stores down south?
NO.....

Since: Nov 10

Dublin

#220 Nov 22, 2012
Allymac wrote:
<quoted text>Do you keep one in your cellar?LOL.
No, but I'm not a Roman Catholic either......

So?????
mick rock

UK

#221 Nov 22, 2012
rio wrote:
<quoted text>
That would be for an Irish to answer that.
But by the number of unsold properties left in the South, I should thing they would welcome anyone grabbing one and coming to live there, helping the local economy.
But then again, some rural folks can be resentfull of outsiders, like I have seen in Scotland.
Its not your an otsider,the scots would have seen through you and thought you were an idiot too !
rio

Beckenham, UK

#222 Nov 22, 2012
mick rock wrote:
<quoted text>Its not your an otsider,the scots would have seen through you and thought you were an idiot too !
Can you say that in English, please?
My translator has broken down...
mick rock

UK

#223 Nov 22, 2012
rio wrote:
<quoted text>
Can you say that in English, please?
My translator has broken down...
your broken down period
Allymac

Glasgow, UK

#224 Nov 22, 2012
rio wrote:
<quoted text>
Well here you , you see.
I suppose the pro-loyalists on this thread approve of that.
But the UDR then was an ad-hoc unit recruited in NI, to support the RUC (itself pro-loyalist) and never considered a traditional British Army Regiment in the traditional sense. They were part-time locals and I think they were looked down by mainland regiments on duty in NI; different mentality, different training, no historical tradition, etc...
With all this collusion between the loyalist paramilitary, the RUC and the UDR, it's no wonder the Catholic community was given a hard time, and that the IRA became so extreme.
What an ill informed cnut you are.....your brass hat relative must tell you some crap....probably in the catering corpsLOL.
Allymac

Glasgow, UK

#225 Nov 22, 2012
Dubbadub wrote:
<quoted text>
No, but I'm not a Roman Catholic either......
So?????
And I'm not a Protestant.....so.
rio

Beckenham, UK

#226 Nov 22, 2012
mick rock wrote:
<quoted text>Its not your an otsider,the scots would have seen through you and thought you were an idiot too !
Its? Its what? Do you mean "It is"?
What is "Your". Do you mean that it's mine or "You ARE".
What is an "otsider" ? Ah, someone suggested you meant an OUTSIDER, right?
But even then, what you write doesn't make any sense.
You English is terrible. Are you sure it's your first language?
Are you sure you are not more familiar with Urdu, or Bengali perhaps?
Yes, You are broken down alright! LMFAO
rio

Beckenham, UK

#227 Nov 22, 2012
Allymac wrote:
<quoted text>..your brass hat relative must tell you some crap....probably in the catering corpsLOL.
My brass hat relative, as you said, was very well informed; some of the directives you served under had been decided by him!

That annoys you, doesn't it, that some people know a bit more about something than YOU, just because you were there - or so you pretend. If I tell you that Northern Ireland was talked about at the dinner table every day when I was young, somethimes with important guests too.
It's not the man on the ground who sees best sometimes, but the one who observes from a distance.

Keep going, private ...
rio

Beckenham, UK

#228 Nov 22, 2012
Allymac wrote:
<quoted text>And I'm not a Protestant.....so.
Are you a man or a woman?

I am only asking! LMFAO
mick rock

UK

#229 Nov 22, 2012
rio wrote:
<quoted text>
Its? Its what? Do you mean "It is"?
What is "Your". Do you mean that it's mine or "You ARE".
What is an "otsider" ? Ah, someone suggested you meant an OUTSIDER, right?
But even then, what you write doesn't make any sense.
You English is terrible. Are you sure it's your first language?
Are you sure you are not more familiar with Urdu, or Bengali perhaps?
Yes, You are broken down alright! LMFAO
"You English is terrible" and your correcting me. WHAT A COMPLETE KNOB YOU ARE,does that make sense.
mick rock

UK

#230 Nov 22, 2012
rio wrote:
<quoted text>
That would be for an Irish to answer that.
But by the number of unsold properties left in the South, I should thing they would welcome anyone grabbing one and coming to live there, helping the local economy.
But then again, some rural folks can be resentfull of outsiders, like I have seen in Scotland.
"That would be for an Irish to answer that" "I should thing they would welcome",ah yes i can see i need to bow to your superior knowledge of the english language you dizzy mook !
mick rock

UK

#231 Nov 22, 2012
rio wrote:
<quoted text>
My brass hat relative, as you said, was very well informed; some of the directives you served under had been decided by him!
That annoys you, doesn't it, that some people know a bit more about something than YOU, just because you were there - or so you pretend. If I tell you that Northern Ireland was talked about at the dinner table every day when I was young, somethimes with important guests too.
It's not the man on the ground who sees best sometimes, but the one who observes from a distance.
Keep going, private ...
"somethimes with important guests" well done again with your masterful use of the language.I am observing your posts from a distance and your world of convenient fantasy is getting worse.I think you are the one who should keep going as in jog on you bell end !
Allymac

Glasgow, UK

#232 Nov 23, 2012
rio wrote:
<quoted text>
My brass hat relative, as you said, was very well informed; some of the directives you served under had been decided by him!
That annoys you, doesn't it, that some people know a bit more about something than YOU, just because you were there - or so you pretend. If I tell you that Northern Ireland was talked about at the dinner table every day when I was young, somethimes with important guests too.
It's not the man on the ground who sees best sometimes, but the one who observes from a distance.
Keep going, private ...
Sarge if you don't mind LOL

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

United Kingdom Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Gay BBM pins 2014 (Jan '14) 1 hr Ross 7,445
Migrants in Britain a decade on: The Poles who ... (Apr '14) 1 hr walter mitty 4,282
Gay bbm pins (Aug '13) 1 hr Anonymous321 17,321
UK party leaders promise Scotland new powers 2 hr valuesleader 32
diazepamm lon 3 hr nik 1
Gay/bisexual/straight UK picture swapping:) (Aug '12) 3 hr dpk80 26
Casual Dating In The UK 3 hr nsafun 172
skype sex (Mar '14) 5 hr kevin 1,007
Any Gay or Bisexual teens in Leeds, Yorkshire U... (Nov '13) 8 hr Jimmy 183

United Kingdom People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE