President reignites Falklands row

Jan 2, 2013 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Ashbourne News Telegraph

Argentine president Cristina Fernandez de Kirchner has reignited the row over the future of the Falkland Islands in an open letter to David Cameron calling on him to relinquish British control.

Comments
1 - 20 of 176 Comments Last updated Feb 20, 2013
First Prev
of 9
Next Last
sirderam

Ormskirk, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Jan 2, 2013
 

Judged:

5

5

5

The usual lies from Argentina - but what else can anyone expect from a country that has long since forgotten what the word "truth" means?

Meanwhile, back in the real World, I offer my congratulations and wish Happy Anniversary of the re-establishment of British Administration on the Falkland Islands to all who live there.
Ace McCloud

UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
Jan 2, 2013
 

Judged:

3

3

3

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-20896050

This kind of thing is good for the people of the Falkland Islands. It brings back the issue to the poeple of the UK who have on the whole long since forgotten about it.

It also brings it to light in a pathetic way! An advert in a news paper LOL This is normal proceedure for Argentina! That is how they normally try to subvert media guidelines on non bias arcticles.

Really just shows that they have no case, since they cannot get free press editorial to speak on there behalf... Although they do sometimes get some editorial with the Guardian..... Mmmm.
El malvinense

Markham, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
Jan 3, 2013
 

Judged:

3

3

2

sirderam wrote:
The usual lies from Argentina - but what else can anyone expect from a country that has long since forgotten what the word "truth" means?
Meanwhile, back in the real World, I offer my congratulations and wish Happy Anniversary of the re-establishment of British Administration on the Falkland Islands to all who live there.
Pelotudo,anyway,the pirates scum of the brits are finished...Time to pay back,pirates!
El malvinense

Markham, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Jan 3, 2013
 

Judged:

3

3

2

Ace McCloud wrote:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-2 0896050
This kind of thing is good for the people of the Falkland Islands. It brings back the issue to the poeple of the UK who have on the whole long since forgotten about it.
It also brings it to light in a pathetic way! An advert in a news paper LOL This is normal proceedure for Argentina! That is how they normally try to subvert media guidelines on non bias arcticles.
Really just shows that they have no case, since they cannot get free press editorial to speak on there behalf... Although they do sometimes get some editorial with the Guardian..... Mmmm.
PELTODUO ,down with the brits imperialists!
---Equality

Glasgow, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Jan 3, 2013
 

Judged:

4

4

4

El malvinense wrote:
<quoted text>PELTODUO ,down with the brits imperialists!
These islands, belong to Argentina! They have done the same in IRELAND and SPAIN.
Argentina, and her south america allies, are bitching for fight, it wud not surprise me, if these islands, are again taken over by there rightful owners.
They are more military supplied than the last time, and I do not think the Americans will come to Britains aid, as they are in bad shape.
Although Cameron I am certain, wud love a dog fight with the argies, were British people will die. This in the hope of gathering a few votes, come the next general election, as at present his coalition, is in tatters with the voting public.
rio

UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Jan 3, 2013
 

Judged:

3

3

2

This issue will not go away until it is resolved in Argentina's favour.
Terry Hill

São Paulo, Brazil

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Jan 3, 2013
 

Judged:

3

2

2

rio wrote:
This issue will not go away until it is resolved in Argentina's favour.
Then if you are correct, it will not go away. As it will never be resolved in Argentina's favour.

Since: Mar 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Jan 3, 2013
 

Judged:

2

1

1

rio wrote:
This issue will not go away until it is resolved in Argentina's favour.
well no surprise there,RIO/RONAN sides with the foreign power.

he cant wait until the Argentinians start killing Brit soldiers.

WANKER.
rio

UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Jan 3, 2013
 

Judged:

2

2

2

There will always be some people nostalgic about imperialism ...
rio

UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Jan 3, 2013
 

Judged:

2

1

1

Terry Hill wrote:
<quoted text>
Then if you are correct, it will not go away. As it will never be resolved in Argentina's favour.
With the passing of time, the Argentines will have more cards up their sleeves. For the moment, they just have to wait.
JEM

Almancil, Portugal

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
Jan 3, 2013
 

Judged:

2

2

1

That's right Rio, they have waited 180 years so far, and have achieved precisely nothing. And your analogy of having cards up their sleeves would suggest you are calling the Argies cheaters and liars, which it seems they are when it comes to the truth about 1833 so I gues you are right on the money. Well done.

And congratulations to the FI for your 180 year celebration

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#14
Jan 3, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

twittering class nonsense they would give it up without a fight to fill their quota same as the case pending re strasbourg the British know where the bread is buttered port stanley will always be loyal
JEM

Almancil, Portugal

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
Jan 3, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

rio wrote:
There will always be some people nostalgic about imperialism ...
Seems Argentina are a lot more nostalgic about it than the UK.

Answer this simple question Rio

Which countries government is letting the Islanders, the real owners, decide and which government won't even acknowledge them?

Now tell me who are the Imperialists?

Oh and by the way Spanish wasn't invented in South America, so I don't want any rubbish about the wishes of implanted populations not counting. Argentina was predominantly populated and still is, by an implanted european population, hence the language clue above.

I am sure the islanders are happy to wait as well, after all thay have every thing Argentina want and want nothing that Argentina offers at the moment. The ball is firmly in Argentinas court, but they can't even afford the racquet to play with
Terry Hill

São Paulo, Brazil

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#16
Jan 3, 2013
 

Judged:

2

1

1

rio wrote:
<quoted text>
With the passing of time, the Argentines will have more cards up their sleeves. For the moment, they just have to wait.
I guess they don't have much choice, losers don't have too many options.
rio

UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#17
Jan 3, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

JEM wrote:
That's right Rio, they have waited 180 years so far, and have achieved precisely nothing. And your analogy of having cards up their sleeves would suggest you are calling the Argies cheaters and liars, which it seems they are when it comes to the truth about 1833 so I gues you are right on the money. Well done.
And congratulations to the FI for your 180 year celebration
The Argentines have the support of most South American countries on this issue. They also have the support of 2 UN resolutions in their favour, asking for the end of colonialism and the return of colonised land to their legitimate owners.

With the predicted British decline in world affairs, our claim in these islands will become more and more tenous, until we lose them because of economic necessity, diplomatic pressure. or unhability to defend them. Instead of conducting a stuborn policy in this matter, that will inevitably bring us grief in the end, why not engage Buenos aires in a dialogue to transfer sovereignty over these islands progressively?

You know it makes sense, and you know that I am right!

Or maybe you would prefer another "charge of the light brigade" in 50 or 100 years time? I do not wish that to my country. We have been able to honourably surrender sovereignty of most of our possessions; what's so different with the Falklands?
rio

UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#18
Jan 3, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

JEM wrote:
<quoted text>
Seems Argentina are a lot more nostalgic about it than the UK.
Answer this simple question Rio
Which countries government is letting the Islanders, the real owners, decide and which government won't even acknowledge them?
Now tell me who are the Imperialists?
Oh and by the way Spanish wasn't invented in South America, so I don't want any rubbish about the wishes of implanted populations not counting. Argentina was predominantly populated and still is, by an implanted european population, hence the language clue above.
I am sure the islanders are happy to wait as well, after all thay have every thing Argentina want and want nothing that Argentina offers at the moment. The ball is firmly in Argentinas court, but they can't even afford the racquet to play with
Two schools of thoughts there:

Those who claim that the sovereignty of the islands belong to them by virtue of owners rights (Argentina inherited them from Spain and started to colonise them).

Those who claim that the sovereignty of the islands belong to them by virtue of the choice of their inhabitants (Britain brought settlers).

Both sides can't obviously agree on what claim is more legitimate, and the issue is temporarily on hold, because Britain continues to assert its sovereignty by force (like it seized the islands in the first place).

My opinion is simply that Britain will in futre become unable to maintain its claim by force. Rather than risk another confrontation in decades to come, Britain should make step to resolve the situation by surrendering sovereignty and protecting the rights of the Falklanders at the same time. Many different solutions have been advanced in the last ... 50 years, but it's Westminster's lack of realism that has been an obstacle.
rio

UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#19
Jan 3, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Terry Hill wrote:
<quoted text>
I guess they don't have much choice, losers don't have too many options.
One can be a loser for a long, long time and still end up being a winner in the end.

What is a generation, or a 50 year wait, or even a century in history?

Who knew that Argentina would exist 500 years ago?
Who knew that England would grow and empire and lose it during this time?

People are too much stuck in the present.
Terry Hill

São Paulo, Brazil

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#20
Jan 3, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

rio wrote:
<quoted text>
The Argentines have the support of most South American countries on this issue. They also have the support of 2 UN resolutions in their favour, asking for the end of colonialism and the return of colonised land to their legitimate owners.
With the predicted British decline in world affairs, our claim in these islands will become more and more tenous, until we lose them because of economic necessity, diplomatic pressure. or unhability to defend them. Instead of conducting a stuborn policy in this matter, that will inevitably bring us grief in the end, why not engage Buenos aires in a dialogue to transfer sovereignty over these islands progressively?
You know it makes sense, and you know that I am right!
Or maybe you would prefer another "charge of the light brigade" in 50 or 100 years time? I do not wish that to my country. We have been able to honourably surrender sovereignty of most of our possessions; what's so different with the Falklands?
What people like you without any historical training fail to grasp is it is simply in the final analysis a legal question. The UK holds the overwhelming legal rights. Thus, our claim in these islands will become more and more tenous, is untrue. If anything it becomes stronger according to Argentina's international lawyer Marcelo G. Kohen.

The UN is acting in a political capacity in issuing advisements, which do not have the force of law. Hence the recent pronouncements by the UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon that "I don’t think Security Council members are violating relevant UN resolutions. As it is a legal issue it it is not open to popularity contests. Hence, the Argentines have the support of most South American countries on this issue. They also have the support of 2 UN resolutions in their favour is irrelevant. Since it is not an issue that lends itself to a political solution.

Your solution is to reward the wrongdoer, lots of luck on that one.
Terry Hill

São Paulo, Brazil

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#21
Jan 3, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

rio wrote:
<quoted text>
One can be a loser for a long, long time and still end up being a winner in the end.
What is a generation, or a 50 year wait, or even a century in history?
Who knew that Argentina would exist 500 years ago?
Who knew that England would grow and empire and lose it during this time?
People are too much stuck in the present.
So your solution to foreign policy questions is to ignore the present and be guided by a future might be, or could be. Obviously you unaware of your own history, and axiom of the famous statement by Edmund Burke “Those who don't know history are doomed to repeat it.” Most dictates of foreign policy are based on the precepts of historical experience.
rio

UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#22
Jan 3, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Terry Hill wrote:
<quoted text>
What people like you without any historical training fail to grasp is it is simply in the final analysis a legal question. The UK holds the overwhelming legal rights. Thus, our claim in these islands will become more and more tenous, is untrue. If anything it becomes stronger according to Argentina's international lawyer Marcelo G. Kohen.
The UN is acting in a political capacity in issuing advisements, which do not have the force of law. Hence the recent pronouncements by the UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon that "I don’t think Security Council members are violating relevant UN resolutions. As it is a legal issue it it is not open to popularity contests. Hence, the Argentines have the support of most South American countries on this issue. They also have the support of 2 UN resolutions in their favour is irrelevant. Since it is not an issue that lends itself to a political solution.
Your solution is to reward the wrongdoer, lots of luck on that one.
"The UK holds the overwhelming legal rights.".

I don't think so, but what really matters is how long Britain will be able to maintain them by force.

Indefinitely you think? I don't believe that.

History has proven that countries come and go, that nation expand only to lose territories later, etc... The Malvinas/Falklands question isn't frozen in timew for ever.

I can see Britain's power decreasing as other nations emerge in future. Already, Britain's place as the 6th world economic power in 2012, is predicted to slip to the 15th place by 2020, and 25th place in 2050.
Our economy will be overtaken by other countries, so will be our influence, our diplomatic weight, our military power, etc...

What we could do 30 years ago, or even now, we will be unable to reapeat in 2 or 3 decades.
Refusing to accept that is just burying our head in the sand.

That's why I think Argentina has just to sit tight and wait for its opportunity. I hope no war will ensue, but just meaningfull diplomacy this time.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 9
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

73 Users are viewing the United Kingdom Forum right now

Search the United Kingdom Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
UK Jews feel anti-Semitic backlash 8 min Just a thought 172
Two Lesbians, one Gay man elected to Belfast Ci... 11 min Magyar 101 20
Why Poland is not like 25 min rio 2
Adult Dating in the UK 44 min shawn laprise 20
10 things I hate about England (Jul '11) 55 min Dr Bighands 151
Should Wales be home to an underground store fo... 58 min Salmond whas ye trooosers 2
Mature Sex Dating in The UK 1 hr Shaun 3
Gay bbm pins (Aug '13) 1 hr Leicester only 11,423
Gay BBM pins 2014 (Jan '14) 3 hr gerhard 4,616
skype sex 7 hr MasterC 357
•••
•••