Wahroonga, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 13, 2009

Maine hits record low in winter's deepest bite

Maine recorded its coldest temperature ever - a frigid 50 degrees below zero - when a blast of Arctic air hit New England last month. That tied a 1933 thermometer reading in Bloomfield, Vt., for the coldest recorded temperature in New England.

"It's a big wow," said Tony Sturey, a meteorologist at the National Weather Service office in Caribou, Maine, near where the temperature was recorded on Jan. 16. "It's an incredible number, an insanely cold number."

The lowest temperature ever recorded in the United States - minus 80 degrees Fahrenheit - was reached in January 1971 in Alaska. In the continental United States, the record low is 70 below, measured in January 1954 in Montana.

www.boston.com/news/local/maine/articles/2009...
Jimmy Dancer

Wahroonga, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 13, 2009

NEW MAINE AND NEW ENGLAND ALL-TIME COLD RECORD CONFIRMED

UPDATE: 50-below sets Maine record

By Giselle Goodman, Maine Portland Press Herald - Maine Today

The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, U.S. Geological Survey and Maine State Climate Office announced today that a minus-50 reading in northwestern Maine held up to scientific scrutiny. That beats Maine’s old record of 48 below zero set in 1925 in Van Buren, and ties the record for coldest temperature recorded in New England. That reading was made in 1933 in Bloomfield, Vt.

The record on New Hampshire’s Mount Washington is minus -47. Maine’s minus-50 reading was made on Jan. 16 at a remote site along the Big Black River near the Quebec border as the region was in the grip of a blast of arctic air.

By the way after a thaw this week, cold air will return starting Friday to the nation. Watch for lots of cold and snow probably the rest of the month.
http://news.mainetoday.com/updates/039516.htm...
Mr Giblets

UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 13, 2009

coldest winter here as well for a long time - but according to the warmies, it's all because of "global warming" . so where is it getting hotter?
WinterSux10

Buxton, ME

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2014

I live in Maine. Very nice summers VERY cold winters. But -50?!?!? Coldest I remember feeling is -21. Maybe -23. I hate winter except for the sledding and skiing and snowboarding. Just -1 is really cold. It's the coldest winter in like 40 years right now and today it was 50 degrees! That's warm compared to how it's been lately in Maine.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

28 Users are viewing the United Kingdom Forum right now

Search the United Kingdom Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Lough rescue crew members expelled (Jan '14) 7 min Trevor Mckee 14
WikiLeaks breaks gag order 23 min Aussie Bloke 6
Gay bbm pins (Aug '13) 30 min Allooiii 11,892
Former Jehovah's Witness leaves memorial to fam... 42 min Covered 57
Manchester young gays (Jun '13) 1 hr Meet me and find out 7
British army ending Northern Ireland role -- So... (Aug '07) 2 hr Jake 51
Gay BBM pins 2014 (Jan '14) 2 hr 23chub london 4,810
UK Jews feel anti-Semitic backlash 3 hr Himmlers Bum Chum 515
skype sex 7 hr Alex 399