Turkish Women's Groups Gird for Abort...

Turkish Women's Groups Gird for Abortion Rights Battle

There are 8 comments on the Voice of America story from Feb 14, 2013, titled Turkish Women's Groups Gird for Abortion Rights Battle. In it, Voice of America reports that:

Demonstrators shout slogans, march with placards to protest the government's plans on a new abortion law, Istanbul, June 17, 2012.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Voice of America.

Morgana 9

“And the Horse You Rode in On”

Since: Sep 08

Minneapolis

#1 Feb 14, 2013
""According to the latest statistics, Turkey's birth rate has fallen with the average number of births per woman at 2.1, down from 4.33 in 1978.
"We see every attack against family as an attack against humanity," Erdogan said. "In no way we tolerate this. We want strong families with at least three children. This is the way to strengthen our families. We will succeed in this. We want a strong nation."""

And thus, again men using women for political purposes. Funny how many on these threads contest that fact.
Ocean56

AOL

#2 Feb 15, 2013
Morgana 9 wrote:
""According to the latest statistics, Turkey's birth rate has fallen with the average number of births per woman at 2.1, down from 4.33 in 1978.
"We see every attack against family as an attack against humanity," Erdogan said. "In no way we tolerate this. We want strong families with at least three children. This is the way to strengthen our families. We will succeed in this. We want a strong nation."""
This statement is what conservative male anti-choicers in the U.S. are thinking, even if they don't have the guts to say it publicly. They don't want top keep LOSING elections as they did just a few months ago, thanks to idiot politicians like Akin and Mourdock.:-)

Morgana 9

Minneapolis

#3 Feb 15, 2013
Ocean56 wrote:
<quoted text>
This statement is what conservative male anti-choicers in the U.S. are thinking, even if they don't have the guts to say it publicly. They don't want top keep LOSING elections as they did just a few months ago, thanks to idiot politicians like Akin and Mourdock.:-)
Yep Ocean, it is all about control and women are used as brood mares. They hate it when the real facts come out. It is all about numbers and NOT about love for the fetus, that is pure rhetoric!
Ocean56

AOL

#4 Feb 15, 2013
Morgana 9 wrote:
Yep Ocean, it is all about control and women are used as brood mares. They hate it when the real facts come out. It is all about numbers and NOT about love for the fetus, that is pure rhetoric!
Exactly. I have NO doubt that these regressive anti-choice politicians in the U.S. long for the days of the 19th century (and earlier), when women had NO rights at all, and were totally controlled by men.

I wish there was a required women's studies history class for ALL middle and high school students, both girls AND guys. I really believe many teen girls and guys have NO idea how hard it was for women in America to obtain the rights we have now, including the right to vote. Ken Burns made a documentary in 1999 about the struggle for women's rights, called "Not For Ourselves Alone." If I had MY way, I would require all middle and high school students view that documentary as part of the women's studies class.

I know, it's only a wish. But hey, I can wish, can't I?:-)
CRN

Ankara, Turkey

#5 Feb 15, 2013
What could be more outrageous?- the answer to "life, the universe and everything" is NOTHING. When you think about it, does it not become the most obvious and indeed the only possible answer? Zero - nothing - is the supreme paradox, the hidden answer to the cosmic mystery. It cannot be physically sensed. It is invisible. It seems not to be there and yet it is everywhere. It seems to have no reality and yet it is the only true and eternal reality. No wonder the human search for the answer has been so long and vain. What could be harder to find than nothing? If you were ordered to go and find nothing if you wanted to know the answer to the human mystery, where would you begin? You wouldn't have a clue. And that's exactly why it's the answer. If it were any other answer, we would have found it without any difficulty at all, and life would be rendered meaningless. Nothing IS meaning. Nothing - in the manner of the "One" of Plotinus - is something we can contemplate forever. We will be eternally dazzled by its mystery.
Ocean56

AOL

#6 Feb 17, 2013
CRN wrote:
What could be more outrageous?- the answer to "life, the universe and everything" is NOTHING. When you think about it, does it not become the most obvious and indeed the only possible answer? Zero - nothing - is the supreme paradox, the hidden answer to the cosmic mystery. It cannot be physically sensed. It is invisible. It seems not to be there and yet it is everywhere. It seems to have no reality and yet it is the only true and eternal reality. No wonder the human search for the answer has been so long and vain. What could be harder to find than nothing? If you were ordered to go and find nothing if you wanted to know the answer to the human mystery, where would you begin? You wouldn't have a clue. And that's exactly why it's the answer. If it were any other answer, we would have found it without any difficulty at all, and life would be rendered meaningless. Nothing IS meaning. Nothing - in the manner of the "One" of Plotinus - is something we can contemplate forever. We will be eternally dazzled by its mystery.
Does this meaningless rant have a POINT? If it did, I obviously missed it.

Morgana 9

Minneapolis

#7 Feb 17, 2013
Ocean56 wrote:
<quoted text>
Exactly. I have NO doubt that these regressive anti-choice politicians in the U.S. long for the days of the 19th century (and earlier), when women had NO rights at all, and were totally controlled by men.
I wish there was a required women's studies history class for ALL middle and high school students, both girls AND guys. I really believe many teen girls and guys have NO idea how hard it was for women in America to obtain the rights we have now, including the right to vote. Ken Burns made a documentary in 1999 about the struggle for women's rights, called "Not For Ourselves Alone." If I had MY way, I would require all middle and high school students view that documentary as part of the women's studies class.
I know, it's only a wish. But hey, I can wish, can't I?:-)
Thanks Ocean! I have not seen that documentary but will look for it. Thanks for the heads up!
Ocean56

AOL

#8 Feb 17, 2013
Morgana 9 wrote:
Thanks Ocean! I have not seen that documentary but will look for it. Thanks for the heads up!
You're very welcome. I got my copy of both the DVD and the book from the Susan B. Anthony House in Rochester, New York. I got the DVD first, and ordered the book later. You can look SBA House up online to get the number.:-)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Turkey Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Kurds are joining ISIS 58 min Rockstar 1
News Bosnia's Gulenist Network 1 hr Rockstar 32
turks are russia's bitches 1 hr Rockstar 5
turkey will be in civil war 1 hr Rockstar 2
turks hate the united states 1 hr Rockstar 2
g20 ministers piss on erdogan 1 hr Rockstar 6
News The Gulen Movement's Collision Course With The ... 1 hr Rockstar 5
More from around the web