Will the uprising in Syria erupt into full blown Civil War?

Created by Triple C on Jul 27, 2011

1,297 votes

Click on an option to vote

Yes

No

Only if outside powers intervene.

Since: Jul 11

Berlin, Germany

#5336 Feb 12, 2013
kiwi wrote:
<quoted text>
Too many of them all of a sudden... You are in really humorous mood today arenīt you? Liwa al-Towhid, al-Farouq, Saqour al-Sham and Liwa al-Islam, you never heard before?
I suggest you to read Aron Lund article in here: http://www.joshualandis.com/blog/... and download a pdf file named August 2012 report. Itīs only 50 pages of analysis.
Yes, too many all of a sudden. That is, I have a suspicion these Islamic factions are not growing in number through incoming foreign fighters but by attracting secular Syrians to their ranks. They have weapons, amo and evidently good discipline, everything a Syrian rebel needs to kick Assad's ass.

Also I'm not sure a militia should be counted automatically as extremist just because it has some Islamic element in its name. I mean the German Christian Democratic Party is anything but "Christian". The same certainly applies to many "Islamic" groups.
arthur

Australia

#5337 Feb 12, 2013
Ditto Dog wrote:
<quoted text>
I got lost explaining dam tech. to you (I worked for while for a company that helped build hydroelectric power stations).
What I also wanted to say is, I have never had any issues about the dangers of Islamic extremists in Syria. I do have an issue with people trying to make Assad look like some poor guy who's only got his people's best interests at heart while ignoring the atrocities he has committed. His actions have brought this whole war onto his people, his actions have driven his people against him and his actions are driving his people now ever further into the arms of dangerous Islamic zealot.
Even more flabbergasting, the Russians, who are the only ones able to end this war - just look on watching this disaster unfold before their very eyes seemingly unable to react other then give an meaningless utterance one in a while.
I don't necessarily blame Russia for any of the problems,although others do.I think they should have picked going hard one way or the other.If they wanted to help Assad then they should have gone all out supplying tanks,AA stuff,anything to have ensured victory.Instead they have followed the Western paths of involvement which sort of nibbles at the edges,resulting in no decisive,quick victory for either side.
arthur

Australia

#5338 Feb 12, 2013
Interesting read.ALMONITOR...POLICE IN ALEPPO'S COUNTRYSIDE DRIFT TOWARDS ISLAMISM.
arthur

Australia

#5339 Feb 12, 2013
Strategy page.FORTUNE FAVORS THE BOLD.That dam supplies the north and east of Syria with 888 megawatts of power.Once thes areas are lost to govt expect a airstrike on the transmission lines,at least.Israel convinced yanks not to give rebels weapons because they Will then turn them on Israel.lol.
arthur

Australia

#5340 Feb 12, 2013
kiwi wrote:
<quoted text>
Too many of them all of a sudden... You are in really humorous mood today arenīt you? Liwa al-Towhid, al-Farouq, Saqour al-Sham and Liwa al-Islam, you never heard before?
I suggest you to read Aron Lund article in here: http://www.joshualandis.com/blog/... and download a pdf file named August 2012 report. Itīs only 50 pages of analysis.
Zaid Benjamin has a pic posted an hour ago on Aleppo Twitter with a new type of weapon used by the govt.You seen it before?Know what it is?
arthur

Australia

#5341 Feb 12, 2013
Enduringamerica has an update on those 50k militia trained by Iran and Hezbollah.
arthur

Australia

#5342 Feb 12, 2013
EA also mentions a lot of heavy weapons now being used by rebel factions.As they get more, the harder it will be to blame all damages in cities on govt forces.Although they will certainly try to continue this line.On the electric front,govt estimates 2.2 billion of economic losses due to power cuts.Wait until the unfortunate winner of the war has to fix all this electric infrastructure.Hope the Saudis,qatari,Bahrain,Kuwaiti regimes are as free with their cash to fix this stuff as they have been with giving cash out to destroy Syria.
arthur

Australia

#5343 Feb 12, 2013
Debka says airforce is now pounding captured al jaara airbase.Some SU.22 in hangars and mig.23.Chemical weapons mentioned again.They must have a rule that u have to mention chems every 2 month's or so.lol.
kiwi

Kosice, Slovakia

#5344 Feb 12, 2013
arthur wrote:
<quoted text>Zaid Benjamin has a pic posted an hour ago on Aleppo Twitter with a new type of weapon used by the govt.You seen it before?Know what it is?
https://twitter.com/zaidbenjamin/status/30154...
Interesting picture. No idea what it is. Looks like parachute straps cut. Some sort of long range mining or anti heat-seeker flares? Brown Moses would love to analyse
kiwi

Kosice, Slovakia

#5345 Feb 12, 2013
arthur wrote:
Debka says airforce is now pounding captured al jaara airbase.Some SU.22 in hangars and mig.23.Chemical weapons mentioned again.They must have a rule that u have to mention chems every 2 month's or so.lol.
Debka is simple crap not worth being taken seriously. Better to read Der Spiegel or Pravda.
kiwi

Kosice, Slovakia

#5346 Feb 12, 2013
arthur wrote:
Enduringamerica has an update on those 50k militia trained by Iran and Hezbollah.
As far as I know the only source for that info is Iranien. Not confirmed from anywhere else. Rebels write that Iraniens fighting in Syria are wearing the same black clothes the Islamists do. The only difference are red turbans. Never seen one red turban on the videos.
arthur

Melbourne, Australia

#5347 Feb 13, 2013
kiwi wrote:
<quoted text>
Debka is simple crap not worth being taken seriously. Better to read Der Spiegel or Pravda.
Watched a short vid on aftermath of bombing raid on the jaraa airfield.They tried to hit the planes in the bunkers,but seemed to miss.Smoke could be seen coming from the back of one of the bunkers.Planes in them were still intact.Watched another clip on the aleppo international airport.They are close enough now that you can clearly see airforce planes lined up and what looked like an ambulance streak down the runway.Why on earth the SAA is not destroying their planes and tanks before their positions are overun is confusing me.The airfields are under attack for sustained periods and it would be easy to toss a few grenades into the cockpit or machinegun the jets to ensure they are of no use.Same with tanks,just lob a few grenades down the barrel.Rebels are seeking muslim pilots from your part of the world to start flying their planes.lol.Thought i would check on those pics by zaid benjamin incase you had seen such things.
arthur

Melbourne, Australia

#5348 Feb 13, 2013
kiwi wrote:
<quoted text>
As far as I know the only source for that info is Iranien. Not confirmed from anywhere else. Rebels write that Iraniens fighting in Syria are wearing the same black clothes the Islamists do. The only difference are red turbans. Never seen one red turban on the videos.
I remember a while ago,late last year i think,where there were guards of the sayyida zeinab mosque in damascus who had put out a snazzy vid of themselves in training.They wer said to be sadirist from iraq and were maybe trained by hezbollah.The evidence for hezbollah or maybe iranian training came from them holding their guns by the magazine in the vids.A method used by hezbollah as it allows for quicker swinging of the gun in close combat.Time will tell.
kiwi

Kosice, Slovakia

#5349 Feb 13, 2013
arthur wrote:
<quoted text>Watched a short vid on aftermath of bombing raid on the jaraa airfield.They tried to hit the planes in the bunkers,but seemed to miss.Smoke could be seen coming from the back of one of the bunkers.Planes in them were still intact.Watched another clip on the aleppo international airport.They are close enough now that you can clearly see airforce planes lined up and what looked like an ambulance streak down the runway.Why on earth the SAA is not destroying their planes and tanks before their positions are overun is confusing me.The airfields are under attack for sustained periods and it would be easy to toss a few grenades into the cockpit or machinegun the jets to ensure they are of no use.Same with tanks,just lob a few grenades down the barrel.Rebels are seeking muslim pilots from your part of the world to start flying their planes.lol.Thought i would check on those pics by zaid benjamin incase you had seen such things.
Thatīs typical Debka. I remember myself caught to believe T-62 tanks were imported to the Syrian bandits from overseas. Since then I am really suspicious to trust Debka. Iīve seen the same video you have. Similarly to previous helicopter base taken, where all intact helos were older generation Mi-8s and not Mi-17s I concluded that Jirah base was abandoned long time before taken by the rebels. No Su-22s, no MiG 23s anywhere around. Only 2+2 L-39 trainers in a shelters. How long ago youīve seen the last attacking L-39? Months? Iīd say the pilots, there is definitelly a shortage of them, were quick trained for the combat models. Ships abandoned were most likely not operational. Funny to see the rebels showing MiG 17 auxiliary fuel tanks in a hangar. It would take me some time what squadron was originally based there but looking at old Google pictures with L-29 trainer wrecks staying off the taxiways, my guess is, it was only a training centre.
Speaking again about Debka imaginations. What if I tell you there were over 40 Su-22 fighter-bombers and over 10 MiG-23 attack aircraft which escaped from Iraq to Iran during first Persian war. The MiGs were sold to Somalia (or Sudan?), but the Su-22s were stored and IAAF now transports them to Syria inside the Jumbos. Would you believe me? This is exactly how Debka works. A little bit of true and big story around it.
arthur

Melbourne, Australia

#5350 Feb 13, 2013
Just watched a vid from jobar titled,assad mortars massacre civilians.Can someone pass on to these guys that wounded blokes in the back of trucks hiding their faces need to remember to take off their black bandanas with white writing on them.Its a bit of a giveaway that they are not a civi.Also when you pull a guy who is wounded out of a car,take his ak47 out,BEFORE,you film him.A little bit of editing before saying all civis have been killed please.Gee whiz.These guys must think we only listen to these vids,not watch them.
arthur

Melbourne, Australia

#5351 Feb 13, 2013
kiwi wrote:
<quoted text>
Thatīs typical Debka. I remember myself caught to believe T-62 tanks were imported to the Syrian bandits from overseas. Since then I am really suspicious to trust Debka. Iīve seen the same video you have. Similarly to previous helicopter base taken, where all intact helos were older generation Mi-8s and not Mi-17s I concluded that Jirah base was abandoned long time before taken by the rebels. No Su-22s, no MiG 23s anywhere around. Only 2+2 L-39 trainers in a shelters. How long ago youīve seen the last attacking L-39? Months? Iīd say the pilots, there is definitelly a shortage of them, were quick trained for the combat models. Ships abandoned were most likely not operational. Funny to see the rebels showing MiG 17 auxiliary fuel tanks in a hangar. It would take me some time what squadron was originally based there but looking at old Google pictures with L-29 trainer wrecks staying off the taxiways, my guess is, it was only a training centre.
Speaking again about Debka imaginations. What if I tell you there were over 40 Su-22 fighter-bombers and over 10 MiG-23 attack aircraft which escaped from Iraq to Iran during first Persian war. The MiGs were sold to Somalia (or Sudan?), but the Su-22s were stored and IAAF now transports them to Syria inside the Jumbos. Would you believe me? This is exactly how Debka works. A little bit of true and big story around it.
Those big jets with tarpaulins on their wings under the concrete bunkers are L39 trainers?One has a large bomb attached to its wing and there are a heap of rebels on top of it?
arthur

Melbourne, Australia

#5352 Feb 13, 2013
Interesting story going around that rebels are stealing old artifacts and selling them in amman jordan.I always wondered what happened to all the stuff taken from maarat al nouman museum for "safe keeping".lol.
kiwi

Kosice, Slovakia

#5353 Feb 13, 2013
Just to be sure if we watched the same.

Straight wing with auxilliary tanks on the tops are L-39. A bomb at the other video was almost certainly 100 kg OFAB/general purpose/, but Brown Moses would be more accurate.
First seconds of the video show even older L-29 trainers and all other crafts off the twy are MiGs 17.
Ditto still sounded unsure about foreigners fighting for democracy in Syria. You can see two of them in here. Lost tourists?
http://www.youtube.com/watch...
arthur

Melbourne, Australia

#5354 Feb 13, 2013
There are definitely planes still landing in damascus.A guy called Robby Ball has a video dated feb 12 where about 20 rebels try and shoot one down with their machine guns.Its a massive plane.It wasnt far from them either,i dont know how it kept flying!
arthur

Melbourne, Australia

#5355 Feb 13, 2013
It looked like a civilian airliner.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Syria Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 54 min Tim Osman 118,318
Obama to broaden US effort to combat militants 15 hr barefoot2626 601
US Struggles to Blunt Syria Rebel Anger at Strikes Tue rtloder 3
Ebola in Texas Tue rtloder 1
Ransom, retribution fuel Syria's kidnap spree (Feb '13) Sep 29 Streetrunner 6
Melbourne world's most liveable city, Damascus ... (Aug '13) Sep 28 interested 52
US-led strikes hit ISIS oil targets as Britain ... Sep 27 George 1

Syria People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE