Why is Somalia the only arid equatorial country?

Posted in the Somalia Forum

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 2 of2
Inquisitive Farax

Amsterdam, Netherlands

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 28, 2013

If you look at a world map, all the countries that have the same latitude as Somalia are lush green tropical places (Venezuela, West Africa, Central Africa, Indonesia etc)... but Somalia is the oddball out with its desert and semi-arid regions with only tiny bits of jungle.

Can anybody here explain this?
Atlas

Saylorsburg, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

Somalia is arid because Ethiopia create a rain shadow. south Sudan is lush and so is Ethiopia but somalia dry and arid. Alslathers is a plate boundary pushing africa and the middle east apart. the afar depression is volcanically active and the land has salt flats and lava fields and sulfuric lakes so the afar are worst of than the Somali. also oman's dhoofar province it dry and arid 8 month out of the years but becomes lush for 4 month due to the monsoon rains but that doesn't happen is Yemen and somalia.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 2 of2
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

80 Users are viewing the Somalia Forum right now

Search the Somalia Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Do Somalis support ISRAEL? 12 min bantuforce 10
Somalis are the 2nd poorest Ethnic group in Ame... (Jul '13) 1 hr Its a Zooo 70
Why somali hâte bantus? 1 hr Imperialist 2
Why Do Somalis Love Palestine More Than Their O... 1 hr Djibril Yamani 8
Not Muslim Anymore 2 hr Wildfire 28
maxameduk inu qaniis yahay mala socotan? (Apr '08) 3 hr ha iweydiin magaceyga 366
What are the ajuraan people? (Jan '12) 4 hr Hawiye irir samaale 33
futada iyo siilka keba macaan (May '11) Mon ahmed 1,674
•••
•••