Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 15, 2011

Judged:

No woman in Somalia is happy to be a woman' is the cry of subservient wives and human rights activists

Abukar Albadri in Mogadishu
guardian.co.uk, Tuesday 14 June 2011 23.58 BST

Fatima Osman Bulle lives in an internally displaced ppeople's camp in Mogadishu. Her makeshift house consists of cloths and sticks and has no running water, electricity or toilet. She and her husband, seven children and three relatives are crammed into one room.

"I feel that I am a low-class member of the family," Bulle says. "I am the most disrespected person in the home."

The 35-year-old has been sexually harassed, tortured and abducted by people she worked for in the past . She now earns $40 (£24) a month as a housemaid and cook.

"I started working as housemaid when I was eight, I was married by force when I was 13 and I am a victim of domestic violence since then," she says.

"The abuses start from early childhood. I was circumcised when I was five. It is a lifetime wound that I live with all the time. I experienced child labour and forced marriage and I never went into a class."

She cannot read or write and her children have been denied access to education. Their future is "dark", she says.

Domestic violence, constant fear of rape, lack of healthcare and basic needs and cultural inferiority are the reality for women in Somalia. They have no voice and little respect.

Fadumo Isaak Ahmed, 30, a mother of five, typifies the destitution and suffering of the women and children in her neighbourhood.

"I work and wash clothes for the families," she says. "I have no regular job. I look for my luck, but the amount I can generate can be one dollar or less.

"Three of my children go begging. They are street beggars. If they get some money, we can use it as the fuel of the hurricane lamp. If they don't get any, we sleep in the dark."
Sheikh Voodoo

Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 15, 2011

Judged:

Ahmed has also experienced female genital mutilation, early marriage and child labour. She whispers: "My husband beats me when I don't get a job because he stays in the house and thinks that I am his slave. If I left him, I would have no place to go, so I am a life slave.

"It is the circumstances and the culture of the country that made me such a low-class person."

Ahmed grew up as an orphan and was forced to marry a cousin when she was 14. "He died when I got two children, and I was forced to marry his younger brother who is my husband now. He beats me all the time," she says.

"A man raped me when I was 13, and I was victimised by rapists two other times when my husband was absent."

She is worried about the future of her three daughters, who have no hope of going to school.

Violence against women in Somalia is the highest in Africa, according Mogadishu's Somali Women Development Centre, which provides support to victims.

Nadia Sufi Abdi, the centre's human rights documentation officer, describes the country as "a woman's hell on earth."

She says: "No woman in Somalia is happy to be a woman because, from the cradle to the grave, woman is a victim.

"The domestic violence, the raping, killing and kidnapping of women is part of the daily life, and there is no authority standing to stop this."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/jun/14/w...
Bantu

Eskilstuna, Sweden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 15, 2011

Judged:

Sheikh Voodoo wrote:
Ahmed has also experienced female genital mutilation, early marriage and child labour. She whispers: "My husband beats me when I don't get a job because he stays in the house and thinks that I am his slave. If I left him, I would have no place to go, so I am a life slave.
"It is the circumstances and the culture of the country that made me such a low-class person."
Ahmed grew up as an orphan and was forced to marry a cousin when she was 14. "He died when I got two children, and I was forced to marry his younger brother who is my husband now. He beats me all the time," she says.
"A man raped me when I was 13, and I was victimised by rapists two other times when my husband was absent."
She is worried about the future of her three daughters, who have no hope of going to school.
Violence against women in Somalia is the highest in Africa, according Mogadishu's Somali Women Development Centre, which provides support to victims.
Nadia Sufi Abdi, the centre's human rights documentation officer, describes the country as "a woman's hell on earth."
She says: "No woman in Somalia is happy to be a woman because, from the cradle to the grave, woman is a victim.
"The domestic violence, the raping, killing and kidnapping of women is part of the daily life, and there is no authority standing to stop this."
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/jun/14/w...
That is sad. Now, let hear somali women defend this slave to the men culture in somalia. I've often wondered whether somali women wear them tent willing and out of respect for their culture or it is imposed on them by the male dominated culture? I see somali men and boys wearing very expensive clothes, somalis know how to dress up in the latest fashion i have to give them that, while the women wear bed sheet to conceal their body. Somali men show off. The irony. LOL! Let's hear from Hooyo and the professor defend this part of their culture. The professor, in her youtube video, had on a tent as well. Dont bring up "Islam requires it" nonsense. Even hookers could wear them tents, would that make them less sinners? We see middle east muslim women dress as they please, will they go th hell or will they be judged by their deeds when the day of reckoning comes?
Sheikh Voodoo

Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 15, 2011

Judged:

Bantu wrote:
<quoted text>
That is sad. Now, let hear somali women defend this slave to the men culture in somalia. I've often wondered whether somali women wear them tent willing and out of respect for their culture or it is imposed on them by the male dominated culture? I see somali men and boys wearing very expensive clothes, somalis know how to dress up in the latest fashion i have to give them that, while the women wear bed sheet to conceal their body. Somali men show off. The irony. LOL! Let's hear from Hooyo and the professor defend this part of their culture. The professor, in her youtube video, had on a tent as well. Dont bring up "Islam requires it" nonsense. Even hookers could wear them tents, would that make them less sinners? We see middle east muslim women dress as they please, will they go th hell or will they be judged by their deeds when the day of reckoning comes?
somali hookers in Mombasa already wear thse tents and this has angered kenyan Muslims.

Sex clothes anger Kenyan Muslims

Prostitutes are known for their skimpy attire, but Kenya's coastal port of Mombasa is witnessing a controversial fashion makeover.

The twilight ladies, as the city's residents refer to the sex workers, have traded their revealing outfits for the more austere buibui - a loose, floor-length gown and head covering favoured by Muslim women.

Walking along the city's main red-light streets at night, one comes across many of the buibui-clad prostitutes.

Although most shy away from speaking to the press, a few are willing to talk.

"I'm better off wearing the buibui so I look respectable. I can avoid arrest. I am just trying to get some money to live on," one says.

Another claims she wears her buibui to hide her identity.

"I know I am sinning, but I'm forced to because I am looking for my livelihood. So to me, it's acceptable," she says.

Most of her customers are local men, not tourists. She says wearing a buibui helped them to more easily pick out women from the region.

But the phenomenon is causing a stir in the predominantly Muslim city where religious women are required to cover their bodies from head to toe.

Some female residents say it is a big disgrace.

"I feel so embarrassed that sometimes I contemplate removing my buibui and throwing it away. The buibui has lost its respect," Mariam Salma says.

Another resident, Asha Hussein, claims the sex workers are not native to Mombasa.

"They are not Muslims. Most are from Somalia and Ethiopia. They wear it to avoid public humiliation," she says.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/6291100.stm
Sheikh Voodoo

Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 15, 2011

Judged:

Bantu

It already happened in Mombasa, Kenya when Somali and Ethiopion prostitutes wore the tents and angered the local muslims. Here is the BBC article.

Sex clothes anger Kenyan Muslims

Prostitutes are known for their skimpy attire, but Kenya's coastal port of Mombasa is witnessing a controversial fashion makeover.

The twilight ladies, as the city's residents refer to the sex workers, have traded their revealing outfits for the more austere buibui - a loose, floor-length gown and head covering favoured by Muslim women.

Walking along the city's main red-light streets at night, one comes across many of the buibui-clad prostitutes.

Although most shy away from speaking to the press, a few are willing to talk.

"I'm better off wearing the buibui so I look respectable. I can avoid arrest. I am just trying to get some money to live on," one says.

Another claims she wears her buibui to hide her identity.

"I know I am sinning, but I'm forced to because I am looking for my livelihood. So to me, it's acceptable," she says.

Most of her customers are local men, not tourists. She says wearing a buibui helped them to more easily pick out women from the region.

But the phenomenon is causing a stir in the predominantly Muslim city where religious women are required to cover their bodies from head to toe.

Some female residents say it is a big disgrace.

"I feel so embarrassed that sometimes I contemplate removing my buibui and throwing it away. The buibui has lost its respect," Mariam Salma says.

Another resident, Asha Hussein, claims the sex workers are not native to Mombasa.

"They are not Muslims. Most are from Somalia and Ethiopia. They wear it to avoid public humiliation," she says.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/6291100.stm
Panther

Tampere, Finland

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 15, 2011

Judged:

Sheikh Voodoo wrote:
No woman in Somalia is happy to be a woman' is the cry of subservient wives and human rights activists
Fatima Osman Bulle lives in an internally displaced ppeople's camp in Mogadishu. Her makeshift house consists of cloths and sticks and has no running water, electricity or toilet. She and her husband, seven children and three relatives are crammed into one room.
"I feel that I am a low-class member of the family," Bulle says. "I am the most disrespected person in the home."
The 35-year-old has been sexually harassed, tortured and abducted by people she worked for in the past . She now earns $40 (£24) a month as a housemaid and cook.
"I started working as housemaid when I was eight, I was married by force when I was 13 and I am a victim of domestic violence since then," she says.
"The abuses start from early childhood. I was circumcised when I was five. It is a lifetime wound that I live with all the time. I experienced child labour and forced marriage and I never went into a class."
She cannot read or write and her children have been denied access to education. Their future is "dark", she says.
Domestic violence, constant fear of rape, lack of healthcare and basic needs and cultural inferiority are the reality for women in Somalia. They have no voice and little respect.
Fadumo Isaak Ahmed, 30, a mother of five, typifies the destitution and suffering of the women and children in her neighbourhood.
"I work and wash clothes for the families," she says. "I have no regular job. I look for my luck, but the amount I can generate can be one dollar or less.
"Three of my children go begging. They are street beggars. If they get some money, we can use it as the fuel of the hurricane lamp. If they don't get any, we sleep in the dark."
Listen dumpass, although i dont trust these revelations on women`s possition in life around the world by comparing Afghanistan to sweden forexample, then yu were missquoting the list that put somalia on 10 and not the worest, as yu put it, country for a women to live in.

I have seen your earlier posts and i was not surprissed to this new one, but hey relax and stop bitiching about somalia or come up with something to talk about next time, nacas yahow .
Sheikh Voodoo

Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 15, 2011

Judged:

Panther wrote:
<quoted text>
Listen dumpass, although i dont trust these revelations on women`s possition in life around the world by comparing Afghanistan to sweden forexample, then yu were missquoting the list that put somalia on 10 and not the worest, as yu put it, country for a women to live in.
I have seen your earlier posts and i was not surprissed to this new one, but hey relax and stop bitiching about somalia or come up with something to talk about next time, nacas yahow .
I have no clue what angered you, nor am I interested to engage with such Somali mentality of denials, anger and hostility once the real condions of Somalis in Somalia is revealed. The article states;

"Violence against women in Somalia is the highest in Africa, according Mogadishu's Somali Women Development Centre, which provides support to victims.

These are the real conditions on the ground for Somalis in Somalia and you Somalis in the West are out of touch and too emotional, sensitive and denialists to even do a positive change for your 'own people'. However, let me admit that you are the best savage tribal soldiers and elevate the tribal anarchy to a peak higher than Mt Everest's. Get off your high horse and just read Somalis on this board engaging each other in Somali tribal bigotry.
Hawiye So Black So Proud

Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 15, 2011

Judged:

Sheikh Voodoo wrote:
Sheikh Voodoo I think you made a mistake, this is what you suppose to be talking about since you are in australia

Half of Australian women 'harassed'

http://www.news.com.au/national/half-of-austr...

Unless you mad for samething maybe Somalis in Melbourne took over your houses, your jobs,? too much unger man collecting walfare from center link?, i will give you an advise man, do not give up, if you cant get a job from Melbourne move to Sydney or even better the Mining in WA, you could get rich in just one year and get over from this unger.
Sheikh Voodoo

Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 15, 2011

Judged:

Hawiye So Black So Proud wrote:
<quoted text>Sheikh Voodoo I think you made a mistake, this is what you suppose to be talking about since you are in australia
Half of Australian women 'harassed'
http://www.news.com.au/national/half-of-austr...
Unless you mad for samething maybe Somalis in Melbourne took over your houses, your jobs,? too much unger man collecting walfare from center link?, i will give you an advise man, do not give up, if you cant get a job from Melbourne move to Sydney or even better the Mining in WA, you could get rich in just one year and get over from this unger.
LMAO Hawiye So Black So Proud

I will consider your kindly advise if the need arises. There is a huge difference between 'female harassment' and 'violence against women in somalia is the highest in Africa" and living in Somalia as a female is like 'health on earth'. Try and change the conditions of these women since they live in Benadir. Isn't that what Islam asks you to do?
Hawiye So Black So Proud

Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 15, 2011

Judged:

Sheikh Voodoo wrote:
<quoted text>
I will consider your kindly advise if the need arises. There is a huge difference between 'female harassment' and 'violence against women in somalia is the highest in Africa" and living in Somalia as a female is like 'health on earth'. Try and change the conditions of these women since they live in Benadir. Isn't that what Islam asks you to do?
In Mogadishu, Rape is a death sentence, i can guarantee you if the image you posted the islamist see, they will look into and get rid of the guy who did it fast. I am from Mogadishu, and i will tell you that forget about rape, even stealing disapeared since islamist came along, you have to know, poor people will do and say any thing to get out of Somalia and go to overseas if they see same one from the media, most of the stories you read are not 100% correct. having said that the link you posted could be true but when it comes to rape Somalia is the least country to do such acts becouse of many reasons, western countries are the top in the list, and not been a bias Islamic countries are the least to commit such act becouse its very much end of your life. rape is very rare in Somalia specially in Mogadishu because its a death sentence.
Sheikh Voodoo

Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 15, 2011

Judged:

and living in Somalia as a Somali female is like 'health on earth'

meant to say,'a women's hell on earth'.
Hawiye So Black So Proud

Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 15, 2011

Judged:

Sheikh Voodoo wrote:
<quoted text>
If i had the power to improve the health and conditions of females in Soomalia generally , i would of do so and make it first before any thing else but i dont, where i don't agree whit you is to label Males in Somalia are all bad or Generally Insult people in a country while praise another.

If you say females in Somalia do so much for their family and their community and people that they don't get their respect in return, i will agree whit you 100%. but don't make fun of people who are in poor conditions because of wars, remember Australia, Europe had wars and bad conditions and as time pass they over come and Somalia is no different it will over come one way or another.
Hawiye So Black So Proud

Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 15, 2011

Sheikh Voodoo wrote:
and living in Somalia as a Somali female is like 'health on earth'
meant to say,'a women's hell on earth'.
health on earth because of war. war is the hell
Sheikh Voodoo

Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 15, 2011

Judged:

Hawiye So Black So Proud wrote:
<quoted text>In Mogadishu, Rape is a death sentence, i can guarantee you if the image you posted the islamist see, they will look into and get rid of the guy who did it fast. I am from Mogadishu, and i will tell you that forget about rape, even stealing disapeared since islamist came along, you have to know, poor people will do and say any thing to get out of Somalia and go to overseas if they see same one from the media, most of the stories you read are not 100% correct. having said that the link you posted could be true but when it comes to rape Somalia is the least country to do such acts becouse of many reasons, western countries are the top in the list, and not been a bias Islamic countries are the least to commit such act becouse its very much end of your life. rape is very rare in Somalia specially in Mogadishu because its a death sentence.
saaxib

Thank you, no rape, hunger, murder and poverty ver existed in xamar, people there live in a comfortable life. The media, the somalis working on the ground in somalia are all lying because a Somali bloke who lives in Lakemba, says so. Worst Aussie rapists in Syndey are Lebanese Muslim youth. What happened to their Islamic beliefs?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sydney_gang_rape...

Racist rapes: Finally the truth comes out

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2002/07/13/102...
bantu kenyan

Germany

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 15, 2011

Judged:

I think Kenya and Ethiopia should recognise Somaliland and divide Somalia to each other.That is the only way to stabilise East africa region
Hawiye So black So Proud

Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 15, 2011

Judged:

Sheikh Voodoo wrote:
<quoted text>
saaxib
Thank you, no rape, hunger, murder and poverty ver existed in xamar, people there live in a comfortable life. The media, the somalis working on the ground in somalia are all lying because a Somali bloke who lives in Lakemba, says so. Worst Aussie rapists in Syndey are Lebanese Muslim youth. What happened to their Islamic beliefs?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sydney_gang_rape...
Racist rapes: Finally the truth comes out
http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2002/07/13/102...
Your problem is you have a hate towards Islam, they say dont hate me before you get to know me. Dont hate islam before you learn the Religion.

just admit it Sheikh Voodoo you just hate muslims becouse there is too many of them where you are correct? and all you see is this people whit different cloths and before you even get to know you just hate rite?.

Ok let me tell you why you wrong Voodoo, Majority of lebanese in Australia are Christians here your seource. in my job, there are lots of Lebanese and there is no even one Muslim to my very surprise so for you to just label the minority muslim labese is bit bias.

here your source. http://alhsv.org.au/resources_lebaneseinaus.h...

The different historical periods, each with their different ‘push’ factors, affected the religious composition of the three waves of immigrants. The first two waves were predominantly Christian, while the third wave was predominantly Muslim. Muslims now constitute 38.6 per cent of the Lebanese-born persons in Australia with Sunni making up 34 per cent and Shiite around two per cent. Catholics account for around 40 per cent of Lebanese-born in Australia, including Maronites (30 per cent) and Melkites (10 per cent). The Antiochian Orthodox account for at least 11 per cent of Lebanese-born in Australia. Smaller numbers of Druse and Protestants are also found among the Lebanese-born.
Sheikh Voodoo

Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 15, 2011

Judged:

Hawiye So black So Proud wrote:
<quoted text>Your problem is you have a hate towards Islam, they say dont hate me before you get to know me. Dont hate islam before you learn the Religion.
just admit it Sheikh Voodoo you just hate muslims becouse there is too many of them where you are correct? and all you see is this people whit different cloths and before you even get to know you just hate rite?.
Ok let me tell you why you wrong Voodoo, Majority of lebanese in Australia are Christians here your seource. in my job, there are lots of Lebanese and there is no even one Muslim to my very surprise so for you to just label the minority muslim labese is bit bias.
here your source. http://alhsv.org.au/resources_lebaneseinaus.h...
The different historical periods, each with their different ‘push’ factors, affected the religious composition of the three waves of immigrants. The first two waves were predominantly Christian, while the third wave was predominantly Muslim. Muslims now constitute 38.6 per cent of the Lebanese-born persons in Australia with Sunni making up 34 per cent and Shiite around two per cent. Catholics account for around 40 per cent of Lebanese-born in Australia, including Maronites (30 per cent) and Melkites (10 per cent). The Antiochian Orthodox account for at least 11 per cent of Lebanese-born in Australia. Smaller numbers of Druse and Protestants are also found among the Lebanese-born.
For your information, I can't hate Islam because both of my parents are practicing Muslims and I did my fair share of assisting young Muslim Somalis and Muslims in general to be understood after the tragedy of 9/11. What I hate is Muslims like you who claim that Islam is a panacea for all the social ills of all Muslims and Muslim countries. Moreover, I can't stand people who aggressively push their beliefs into every context of arguments, be they Muslims, Christians, Jews or any other denominations. I'm also aware of the different Lebanese denominations in Australia and their history of migration here. How does what you posted about the Lebanese contradict about the Sunni Muslim Lebanese rapists in Sydney?
Hawiye So black So Proud

Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 15, 2011

Sheikh Voodoo wrote:
<quoted text>
For your information, I can't hate Islam because both of my parents are practicing Muslims and I did my fair share of assisting young Muslim Somalis and Muslims in general to be understood after the tragedy of 9/11. What I hate is Muslims like you who claim that Islam is a panacea for all the social ills of all Muslims and Muslim countries. Moreover, I can't stand people who aggressively push their beliefs into every context of arguments, be they Muslims, Christians, Jews or any other denominations. I'm also aware of the different Lebanese denominations in Australia and their history of migration here. How does what you posted about the Lebanese contradict about the Sunni Muslim Lebanese rapists in Sydney?
Rapist is a sick minded person, and has nothing to do whit relegion, there are millions of christian priestchildrapists who do acts that their own religion forbidden so its an ignorant for you to say if a Lebanese guy do such of arape to blame for Muslims, that shows me you have deep hate toward Muslims and Islam and you need serous help.
Sheikh Voodoo

Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 15, 2011

Judged:

Hawiye So black So Proud wrote:
<quoted text>Rapist is a sick minded person, and has nothing to do whit relegion, there are millions of christian priestchildrapists who do acts that their own religion forbidden so its an ignorant for you to say if a Lebanese guy do such of arape to blame for Muslims, that shows me you have deep hate toward Muslims and Islam and you need serous help.
I grew up and studied with these lebo Muslims and know their mindset very well. Moreover, the Australian Sunni Muslim Lebanese are just like Somali families where dysfuntionality reigns because the father returned back to Lebanon and married a young girl and the mother is left with a football team of children to raise on her own (with the help from welfare/Centrelink) while sending money to the father and his young bride back in Lebanon. So saaxib, spare me the crocodile tears of 'you are a muslim hater' and resume your tribal wars with other somalis here. Indeed, you guys have a "superior Islamic practice".

“turn back the hands of time”

Since: Apr 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 18, 2011

Judged:

I saw the name of this thread and before opening it I was hoping there was room for a constructive debate regarding the issues of women..boy was I wrong...I see that bitchling Bantu and his girlfriend Sheikh Voodo are shytting all over the topic. LOL

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of30
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

95 Users are viewing the Somalia Forum right now

Search the Somalia Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Why do Somali girls marry Black Boys 36 min Lone_Wolf 101
Educated Somali Brother 48 min Lone_Wolf 3
Somalis r stupidest Arabs (Feb '13) 1 hr 23ZZZ54 30
Somali people are NOT black 3 hr funny dude 47
Rebuilding Somalia 5 hr Saho 14
Why are somali people the most beautiful people... (Jul '11) 5 hr Saho 106
Do you know Barawani people?Are they mixed Soma... (Jul '09) 5 hr unknown guy 400
gus wayne gabadhii rabta halkanaa laga helaa (Jun '09) 7 hr shiikh 4,234
futada iyo siilka keba macaan (May '11) Thu mohamed 1,522
•••
•••
•••
•••