Facts about Somalis in South Africa.............

Posted in the Somalia Forum

Comments (Page 2)

Showing posts 21 - 40 of56
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

“http://www.wakeu pproject.com/”

Since: Jul 08

THE ARRIVALS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 8, 2010

http://www.mg.co.za/article/2010-08-23-good-b...

Landau points out that not all the factors that contribute to the success of Somali shopkeepers have to do with skills. "One of the success [factors] of Somali businesses is the level of trust among them, which allows them to buy together, to access informal systems of credit. South Africa [on the other hand] has fragmented and distrustful communities."

Mandisi Njoli, a representative of a local retailers’ association in Khayelitsha affiliated to the National African Federated Chamber of Commerce (Nafcoc), angrily rejects the Khayelitsha research as patronising and insulting.

Local shopowners "are being called jealous, and they are being called unskilled [in the research]. And I'm asking myself now one question: for a person [who] has been running a shop for more than 30 years, put his kids through school with the money from that shop, all of a sudden he is [seen as] unskilled now -- which means that somebody is patronising someone somewhere."

But in the same breath he hails plans to improve the entrepreneurial skills of local retailers: "I am working on a project to pilot it in Khayelitsha where we are going to start with 120 general dealers and support them, but we are still trying to get enough funding for that." Training will be part of it, but the support will include subsidising stock.
TruSom

Switzerland

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 10, 2010

Bantu wrote:
<quoted text>
If you got entreprenual skills take them to somalia. I just watched testimonies of somali bantus how somalis have been killing, raping their women, robbing them and driven them from their land. Am mad! Am tempted to link the videos to south African and other bantu nationalists websight and see the shit hit the fan you somalis in their countries... But I won't because I do not want any bodys blood on my hands.
http://www.youtube.com/watch...

akello why don't you worry about uganda? and save the gorilla's from running down through your throat to your stomach?. quit the bantu talk and learn to behave, this thread is about somali's and south africans, what a cow.o)

lra 10x worst than shabaab but still talk shit.

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 8, 2011

Good facts people. Ignore the jealous little jareer. He's just mad cause he lost the genetic lottery.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 8, 2011

Abdi keep up the updates bro don't mind these haters.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 8, 2011

TheblueNwhite wrote:
I'm not Abdi or Jensen or any other poster with an account already open, actually.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 8, 2011

Oops! Sorry saxiib, thought you were talking directly to me there!
Nosintu

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 2, 2012

Yho!!!i didnt know n now i du.thanx god for letting me read this,n thank u for making me not involeved in looting the somalie ppl otherwise i would've feel guilty now.its as simple as LETS LOVE N RESPECT EACH OTHER As we all GOD'S CREATION
Anonymous

Ashburn, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 5, 2013

How many South Africans are there in the 40+ other African countries? Answer: less than 100,000. How many African foreigners are there in South Africa? Answer: more than 2 million. What's wrong with these numbers?

THE ARRIVALS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 26, 2013

TheblueNwhite wrote:
I realize most of the trolls that roam around here are unaware of the crucial difference between appearance and reality. You almost feel sad for them.

If only they knew the actual facts.

THE ARRIVALS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 5, 2013

Somalia Doesn’t Have To Fight To Conquer: Somalis Are Already Africa’s Small Kings And Queens :

http://nakedchiefs.com/2012/01/06/somalia-doe...

We are told that the 20-year madness and bloodletting in Somalia has been fuelled by clan turf wars, criminality, Islamic Jihad, piracy, and even national resistance against foreign powers (the USA, Ethiopia, African Union Peace Mission, and lately Kenya).

A less talked-about driver for the conflict, is the desire to create a Greater Somalia; the rebirth of pre-colonial Somalia that includes the Ogaden region of Ethiopia, Djibouti, and northeastern Kenya. The five-pointed “star of unity” in the Somalia flag represents this idea – the Somali ethnic groups in Djibouti, Ogaden, Ethiopia, northeastern Kenya, and Somalia itself.

For this reason, like the Jewish nation that is bigger than the Israeli state, the Somali nation too is much bigger than the Somali state (Somalia).

That is why, for Djibouti, Ethiopia, and Kenya, the rise of a Greater Somalia is an existential threat.

The irony about this is that Somalis are already one of Africa’s most successful people. They certainly are its most enterprising.

Even before the flare up of xenophobic attacks against other Africans in South Africa in 2009, locals who were angry that they had “taken away” their businesses had been robbing and killing Somali shopkeepers.

While other African immigrants have largely been spared since then, the attacks on Somali business people have continued.

The common thing about immigrants everywhere in the world is that they tend to work harder than the “natives”. They also often succeed spectacularly, which brings on deadly jealousies. From Germany where Jews were slaughtered in their millions, to Kenya where the prosperous “immigrant” Kikuyu populations in the Rift Valley were killed and chased off their lands in the 2008 post-leection violence, to the Bunyoro region of Uganda where the workaholic Bakiga were even banned from standing for local office, the story is the same.

The thing about the Somali is that they tend to confine themselves to business. In Kenya today, the Somali have taken over the real estate market. They are also snapping up restaurants. In Uganda, they are doing the same. They also own some of the best malls.

The evening or “parallel degree” programmes have become the new rage with African universities. To see just how Somalis are remaking several East African societies, one needs to go to the University of Nairobi.

THE ARRIVALS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 28, 2013

Of every 10 students in the evening degree programme, it is estimated that four are Kenyan Somalis. That is 40 percent. There are so many Somalis in the evening programme, that during Ramadhan when they have to pray in the evenings, classes are delayed! That is mind-boggling, considering that Somalis are, actually, still marginalised, the wealth of its business elite notwithstanding.

According to the 2009 Kenya Population Census, the country had a population of 38,610,097.

The Somali have shot to the 6th largest national group, from close to bottom of the pile at the last census. The census found that the largest 13 ethnic communities by numbers are Kikuyu at 6.62 million, Luhya 5.33 million, Kalenjin at 4.96 million, Luo 4.04 million, Kamba (3.89 million), Kenyan Somali (2.38 million), Kisii (2.21 million), Mijikenda (1.96 million), Meru (1.65 million), Turkana (0.99 million), Maasai (0.84 million), Teso (0.33 million) and Embu (0.32 million).

The population of Somalis was so controversial, a recount – that has not yet been done – was ordered in the northeast. So while Kenyan Somali account for 6 percent of the population, they are 40 percent of the evening degree programme at Kenya’s leading programme. This means that in the next generation, Kenyan Somali will be by far the single modest educated group in Kenya.

THE ARRIVALS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 3, 2013

Also, the Somalis are the African group who seem to have learnt the most from the first East Asians who came to Africa at the end of the 19th and start of the 20th centurires. The East African Asians managed their costs through the large family living under the same roof, even when children got married, thus reducing their rent, electricity, and other costs. The Somalis also remain quite close knit as families, and support each other.

That support system thrives because, unlike other African communities, it has a ruthless enforcement mechanism. A Somali clansman will lend another money to start a business or give him credit, and if he doesn’t pay back, some musclemen will visit him and either break his legs, or chop off his head.

You don’t find many broken-hearted Somalis who have been cheated out of their wealth by relatives the way you would a Muganda, Kikuyu, Hausa, or Luo. Business risk among the Somali is thus fairly low.

The Somali in the Diaspora, those back in Africa, and the rich and poor ones keep a level of contact alien to most other Africans. This enables knowledge sharing, and a global exchange of business ideas and opportunities.

THE ARRIVALS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 22, 2013

A Somali friend was transferred to work for the UN in Nairobi two years ago. When I had dinner with him, he told me was going to shop for a TV and other electronics the next day. I asked if he was going to the Duty Free Shop.

He looked at me, a little puzzled, then said; “No, I am going to shop in Eastleigh”. Eastleigh ,a bustling business district in Nairobi, is the heartland of Somali business in East Africa, and is reputed to be the unofficial central bank of Somalia.

Prices there are incredible. Kenyans are probably the only Africans who, when they visit their relatives in Europe and North America, often carry western made products like sneakers as presents. That is because, a genuine Air Jordan sneaker from Eastleigh, will be far cheaper than at the cheapest store in London or New York.

Even the accomplished Somali smuggling network, is not enough for explain that difference in price. If power and wealth are some of the factors driving the long-conflict in Somalia, then it is no longer productive. Somalis have already won Eastern Africa.
Ali

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 22, 2013

Abdi wrote:
A Somali friend was transferred to work for the UN in Nairobi two years ago. When I had dinner with him, he told me was going to shop for a TV and other electronics the next day. I asked if he was going to the Duty Free Shop.
He looked at me, a little puzzled, then said; “No, I am going to shop in Eastleigh”. Eastleigh ,a bustling business district in Nairobi, is the heartland of Somali business in East Africa, and is reputed to be the unofficial central bank of Somalia.
Prices there are incredible. Kenyans are probably the only Africans who, when they visit their relatives in Europe and North America, often carry western made products like sneakers as presents. That is because, a genuine Air Jordan sneaker from Eastleigh, will be far cheaper than at the cheapest store in London or New York.
Even the accomplished Somali smuggling network, is not enough for explain that difference in price. If power and wealth are some of the factors driving the long-conflict in Somalia, then it is no longer productive. Somalis have already won Eastern Africa.
that's interesting post. abdi, we all know the success of somalis is due to flawless networking in UAE, USA & Europe etc. why is that our fellow Africans even our close neighbor-ethopians lack our entrepreneurship.

THE ARRIVALS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 22, 2013

Ali wrote:
<quoted text> that's interesting post. abdi, we all know the success of somalis is due to flawless networking in UAE, USA & Europe etc. why is that our fellow Africans even our close neighbor-ethopians lack our entrepreneurship.
Everyone is good at something bro. Somalis on the other hand have thousands of years in entrepreneurship by doing business with almost every civilization in the world.

The ancient city in Somalia known as Opone is a good example for that.
voigtman

Ashburn, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 22, 2013

utter tosh!! why dont we see somalies succeeding in first world countries like indians and east asians. another very entrepreneural group in africa are igbos of nigeria, there is nothing special about somalis.. pls stop with the delusions of grandeur.

THE ARRIVALS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 22, 2013

voigtman wrote:
utter tosh!! why dont we see somalies succeeding in first world countries like indians and east asians. another very entrepreneural group in africa are igbos of nigeria, there is nothing special about somalis.. pls stop with the delusions of grandeur.
If Somali people weren't that special, you and others like yourself wouldn't be talking about 24/7 on this forum.

It's kinda ironic, really.
voigtman

Europe

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 22, 2013

Answer the question pls, why dont we see somalis doing well in first world countries? I came here because of the many somali lunatics trolling many online forums making quit outrageous about themselves, when the reality from my experience with them is the opposite.

THE ARRIVALS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 22, 2013

voigtman wrote:
Answer the question pls, why dont we see somalis doing well in first world countries? I came here because of the many somali lunatics trolling many online forums making quit outrageous about themselves, when the reality from my experience with them is the opposite.
So let me get this straight. You were emotionally damaged by trolls claiming to be "Somalis". And then you decided to proceed on going to a Somali forum in order to insult an entire group people as a payback? Wow, wow smart of you man?

This isn't a pissing contest. But regardless, even with Somalia's stability struggles, it's economy was far stronger than other African countries.

http://www.un.org/apps/news/story.asp...

That's during in a midst of war. Imagine when there's peace?

Btw, you shouldn't generalize people regardless of their background. This kind of method is used by those who can't handle people on an individual level.
voigtman

Ashburn, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 22, 2013

why are you putting words in my mouth.. aren't you the one making genelisations, i deal with alot of immigrants, and somalis tend to be the worst, i'm not saying it's due to their athnicity, but i don't get why somalis are so loud and boastfull. My question again, why aren't somalis succeeding in first countries, if entrepreneurship is in their blood as you yourself claimed.
I don't get what your link is suppose to prove, a country like zimbabwe has the highest literacy rate in africa and performs better than many african countries in many areas dispite being a failed state for almost a decade, again nothing is special about somalis.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 21 - 40 of56
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

79 Users are viewing the Somalia Forum right now

Search the Somalia Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
We're not superior complex!! 5 min calasow 2
Somali people are NOT black 10 min Somalis are black ennigaz 39
Rebuilding Somalia 15 min Saho 7
Eritrean and ethiopian are much more beautiful ... (Nov '11) 27 min Saho 34
does a half somali and half north sudani arab e... 31 min funny dude 30
Light skin/wavy hair Somalis....face the facts.... 1 hr Saho 56
maxameduk inu qaniis yahay mala socotan? (Apr '08) 2 hr raxeeye siiil leefe 328
futada iyo siilka keba macaan (May '11) 8 hr Boodhari 1,519
•••