anarchist

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 15, 2013

somalis/afar/oromo are sort same ethnic group.
not sure where woyanes fit.
amhara (amarinya) are semites I believe.
eskinder

Lynnwood, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 18, 2013

this question is meaningless since there are many ethnic Somalis and afar who are somali twins living in ethiopia but as a whole these two groups to the outside world look very similar to eachother but from personal observation I have to say ethiopians tend to have a bit more european features whereas somalis have more Asiatic features but both are beautiful in my opinion.
habiba

Reynoldsburg, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 11, 2013

Somalis are muslims and cover themselves. Somalis also have loose curls while Ethiopians have tighter curls. Somalis have longer noses and known for "big butts" and Ethiopians have short noses.
shakemyhead

Toronto, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 10, 2014

What's wrong with all of you? Why is it as soon as someone brings up the topic of differentiating us we fall directly into a squabble. We're too at arms as Africans when we should support each other regardless of our differences. Put religious, political, cultural and whatever other classification aside. We're not the same but we're similar enough that outsiders can't tell us apart. We're geographic neighbors. We tend to face similar socioeconomic statuses and struggles outside of Africa. Can you imagine a world where our two countries weren't feudal, but allies like western countries are too each other? If we could get along and appreciate our differences as valuable, imagine the social change we could all being back to our countries. Ethiopians and Somalis are beautiful in their own ways and sometimes in shared ways. I'm both. It makes me extremely sad to read through all these comments when the question wasn't even posed in such a way as to provoke hate (except the we don't want to hurt Ethiopians part: wtf it's that supposed to mean?). It's kind of embarrassing. Can we move past shallow bickering and educate ourselves please?
Also I searched this topic because I saw an east African girl yesterday and couldn't tell if she was ethiopian or Somali but upon a closer look I could tell she was Somali. She asked me how I knew and I was at a loss for words. I just knew. Simply put: how could it be described?
shakemyhead

Toronto, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 10, 2014

anarchist wrote:
somalis/afar/oromo are sort same ethnic group.
not sure where woyanes fit.
amhara (amarinya) are semites I believe.
That's the best disruption I could come up with too. Somalis have slightly Asian (both south and east Asian) features like rounded faces and smoother noses. Ethiopians tend to have sharper features like slender/pointed noses. But there are a few features beyond these two largely accurate differences. Somalis tend to have wider, curvier hips with larger behinds (both men and women while Ethiopians tend to have more squarish hips and tend to be top heavy. Somalis tend to have smoother complexion to Ethiopians although the darkness varies equally in both ethnicities. Ethiopians tend to be shorter than Somalis although that varies also by tribe and region for both countries. Both have tend to have large foreheads but Somalis'are more rounded and Ethiopians tend to have a more protruding brow line and/or deeper sunken eyes (this goes back to Asian vs. European features). Another thing is that I think Somalis have naturally fuller cheeks and lips but this difference is made more obvious by the traditionally more intensive facial expressions Ethiopians use when they speak. It's like those muscles get used more intensely.

Since: May 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 10, 2014

Harel wrote:
We don't want to hurt Ethiopians, so can anybody tell me how to spot the difference between these two horn of Africa groups? I would highly appreciate it. Thanks in advance!
To 99% of people worldwide they don't know and they don't care, you're both black to them. Ethiopians are hard workers and have low divorce rates, they are very laid back and very down low type of people. Somalis are violent, don't like to work, terrible at school, high divorce rates, extremists etc etc

I still love both groups but Somalis are one of a kind. The only group of people on the planet to hate the people that brought them to their lands and feed their children for free. Only a somali will do that lol

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

126 Users are viewing the Somalia Forum right now

Search the Somalia Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
i hate somalis 26 min dabadhilif 1
i am a horny girl and i want big long gus 1 hr ku ruxe 2
wht do you think of getting married at age 19 o... 2 hr FDB 11
She Had Kids With A White Man So Her Kids Woul... 2 hr FDB 9
Arab guys Attarctted to Somali Gurls (Dec '10) 2 hr FDB 528
while we fight the Adoons are f00king our sisters! 2 hr FDB 11
hawie should either cooprate or complain. 3 hr HoesGonBeHoes 6
futada iyo siilka keba macaan (May '11) 5 hr kagaoohiye 1,700
Wiil Raba Guurdoon Xalaal ah (Aug '12) Tue abdisalaan 367