Kosova, Albania

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 21, 2010

Judged:

WHY COULD the parting in Yugoslavia--if it had to happen--not be achieved peacefully, through Western-style negotiation (like that, for example between Sweden and Norway in 1905) rather than through bloody conflict costing thousands of lives? As I reflect on this quesion, I keep returning to an incident from my personal experience that, to me at any rate, symbolizes and encapsulates the attitudes that have led to the present disaster. On May 1, 1985, a 59-year-old Serbian farmer by the name of Djordje Martinovic was found in a distreesed condition with a broken bottle up his anus in his own province of Serbia, one with a large ethnic Albanian majority. Almost overnight, this elderly man, who supplemented his farm income by working as a storekeeper for the Yugoslav Army in Gnjilane, became the center of a fierce controversy that quickly grew into a cause celebre.

“Kosova, gjaku im qe nuk falet!”

Since: Sep 09

Kosova, Albania

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 21, 2010

Judged:

According to reports claiming to be based on Mr. Martinovic's own evidence and published in Belgrade, Serbia's capital, Mr. Martinovic had been attacked from behind by a group of masked men speaking Albanian, who then allegedly tied him up and brutalized him. The other version, in Kosovo's Albanian-language press and in the media in some non-Serbian parts of Yugoslavia, was very different. According to that account, Mr. Martinovic was a homosexual who had suffered an accident while in the act of self-gratification and, in order to avoid bringing dishonor on himself and his family in a very old-fashioned society, decided to invent the alleged attack.

“Pusssyyyyyy....I m Hooooooome! ”

Since: Jul 10

Castle Wolfenstein

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 21, 2010

Yes, the Serbs are embarrassing their own neighbors as well. Kill them all!

Kosova, Albania

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 21, 2010

Judged:

I arrived in Kosovo shortly thereafter while researching a story on the national question in Yugoslavia for The Economist and was one of the first Western correspondents to write about "the Martinovic affair." The atmosphere I found there reminded me of Kurosawa's famous film "Rashomon" I had seen while still living in Yugoslavia in the early 1950s, in which a single violent incident is told in several completely different versions. I wanted to talk to Mr. Martinovic but could not: he had been taken out of the hands of the Kosovo authorities, whisked off to the Yugoslav Army's Medical Academy in Belgrade and kept incommunicado there pending further clinical and psychiatric investigations.

Castle Wolfenstein

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 21, 2010

Stern des Sudens wrote:
I arrived in Kosovo shortly thereafter while researching a story on the national question in Yugoslavia for The Economist and was one of the first Western correspondents to write about "the Martinovic affair." The atmosphere I found there reminded me of Kurosawa's famous film "Rashomon" I had seen while still living in Yugoslavia in the early 1950s, in which a single violent incident is told in several completely different versions. I wanted to talk to Mr. Martinovic but could not: he had been taken out of the hands of the Kosovo authorities, whisked off to the Yugoslav Army's Medical Academy in Belgrade and kept incommunicado there pending further clinical and psychiatric investigations.
Kosovo = the small, unknown wonder

Castle Wolfenstein

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 21, 2010

Yes, Kosovo is a wonder.

LONG LIVE DARDANIA, DEATH TO SERBIA!!!!!!!!!

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 21, 2010

Ne kaje se zbog ubistva devojke

E. B.| 22. 07. 2010.- 00:02h |
&#262;uprija - Ljutomir Popovi&#263; (32), zvani Ljutko iz &#262;uprije, osumnji&#269;en prošle subote da je u diskoteci „Palaco” u ovom gradu ubio Gorana Grki&#263;a (24) i Jasminu Ili&#263; (20) i ranio njenu sestru Jelenu (22), na saslušanju nijednom nije izrazio žaljenje zbog stradanja nedužnih, saznaje „Blic”.

Privo&#273;enje Ljutomira Popovi&#263;a
Osumnji&#269;eni nije rekao da se kaje zbog ubistva devojke i ranjavanja njene sestre, ali je izrazio bojazan za svoj život jer strahuje da &#263;e mu se u pritvoru nešto loše desiti. On je na saslušanju tvrdio da su ga Grki&#263; i društvo „kinjili i maltretirali” poslednjih meseci.

Popovi&#263; je ju&#269;e po podne priveden istražnom sudiji Višeg suda u Jagodini, koji mu je posle saslušanja odredio pritvor do 30 dana. Njegova meta Grki&#263; nekoliko sati pre toga sahranjen je na groblju u &#262;upriji. On je preminuo prekju&#269;e u 2.30 u šok/sobi Opšte bolnice u &#262;upriji, ne dolaze&#263;i svesti posle ranjavanja. Bio je pogo&#273;en sa tri metka u glavu i vrat. Sestre Ili&#263; su stradale nedužne u pucnjavi. Jasmina je od zadobijenih povreda preminula odmah, a Jelena, koja je ranjena u stomak, oporavlja se u bolnici posle operacije.

“the pros and cons”

Since: May 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 22, 2010

Judged:

serbia is a warmongering country....NATO was 100% right to bomb it.....West realised they were dealing with a bullish country which needed taking down a peg or two......even today when this genocide country has no political or economical bearing in balkans , let alone europe, continues to fantasize about its 'mighty'overdue past.....

germany ruled the world for a time , not long ago as we are all aware of,and they had the decency to accept they were wrong and no threat to humanity ever again....serbia on the other hand, i am not being fair here trying two compare little insignificant weak serbia to mighty germany,is fooling itself thinking it matters anymore....

“you will never walk alone :D”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 22, 2010

kosova zemra jone
albo muslim prayer f goat

Belgrade, Serbia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 22, 2010

Opa vratila se gruzijska pizda. Barone, Drazo, Real Facts: znamo sto nam je ciniti... ajde da ga opet oteramo seme li mu jebem kavkasko
albo muslim prayer f goat

Belgrade, Serbia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 22, 2010

It's enough to look at islamic albanian donkey fu..kin incestoid monkeys and see who's disgrace for culture

www.kosovoliberationarmy.com

Kosova, Albania

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 22, 2010

Judged:

Meanwhile ethnic Albanian officials in Pristina, Kosovo's capital, kept assuring me that the story of the attack was a complete fabrication and even provided me with graphic clinical details of the incident as recorded by the local Albanian doctors (including the exact size of the bottle). They argued that the Martinovic case was being exploited politically by the Serbian leaders in Belgrade as another argument in their campaign for the abolition of Kosovo's autonomy and its re-annexation by Serbia, on the grounds that this was the only way of protecting the local Serbs (by then 10 percent of the total population) from Albanian "terror." On the other hand, local Kosovo Serbs I talked to claimed to believe the attack version implicitly and interpreted the incident as another instance of the systematic Albanian campaign aimed at forcing the Kosovo Serbs to emigrate, leaving it to the Albanians. In Belgrade, meanwhile, the Kosovo farmer had become a hero to Serbian opinion as a martyr in the national cause. A famous Serbian painter not long afterwards made Mr. Martinovic the central figure of a crucifixion scene in a painting which, I was told, now adorns one of the rooms in the building of the Serbian Academy of Sciences in Belgrade.

Kosova, Albania

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 23, 2010

Judged:

FOUR YEARS AFTER this bizarre and gruesome incident, in June 1989, Serbia re-annexed Kosovo, thus regaining full control over its police and judiciary. Intriguingly, the Martinovic file remained closed. The new Serbian authorities have so far failed--to my knowledge anyway--to do what they might have been expected to do in such a highly publicized case. They have not reopened the investigation with a view to catching the alleged perpetrators, bringing them to justice and vindicating the old man's honor. This suggests that the attack theory might after all have been an anti-Albanian fabrication, as the local Albanians had claimed from the start. But, whatever the true facts of the case, they do not seem to matter any more--at least not to the present generation of Serbs. The martyrdom of Djordje Martinovic, in the highly stylized form of the crucifixion in the Academy of Sciences picture, has become part of the Serbs' vision of themselves as perpetual victims of cruel historical circumstances--an idea born in Kosovo more than 600 years ago.

Kosova, Albania

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 24, 2010

It was in Kosovo Polje (the Field of Blackbirds), not far from where Djordje Martinovic suffered his mysterious humiliation, that on June 28, 1389 the Serbs suffered a decisive defeat at the hands of the Turks. They did not fight along--along-side them were Croatian and Hungarian nobles, as well as the local (also Christian) Albanians--but they still lost. That defeat at Kosovo sealed the fate of the Serbian state and ushered in five centuries of life under Ottoman rule. The Serbs' sense of national humiliation after Kosovo was particularly acute because at the time the memories were still fresh of their own short-lived kingdom which had spread over a large part of the Balkans. Life under the Ottoman Empire, involving as it did for the majority population what would nowadays be called collaboration with the enemy. For example, the main hero of Serbian folk poetry, Prince Marko (Kraljevic Marko), endowed in popular imagination with superhuman strength and extraordinary bravery as well as great cunning, was a historical figure--in fact a small feudal ruler who, like all the other Serbian Christian nobles, became the Turkish sultan's vassal after the Kosovo battle. In one of the Serbian folk ballads called "Kraljevic Marko i Musa Kesedzija," Marko is commissioned by the Turks to kill Musa, represented in the poem as a bandit but in fact an Albanian insurgent against Turkish rule. The necessity to collaborate with the enemy induced in the Serbs a strong sense of inferiority and a correspondingly powerful urge for a violent compensation, both of which are reflected in Serbian folk poetry (later discovered and much praised by the Grimm brothers and other German scholars of the Romantic era). Much of that poetry is so violent and sadistic that in schools, as I myself remember, it was taught in a severely bowdlerized form.

“Pristina,Srbija <3”

Since: Dec 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 24, 2010

STERN STO NE PISES MALO O KRIMINALU NA KOSOVU....O ALBANCIMA, O ONIM STO SU UHAPSENI..??

Kosova, Albania

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 25, 2010

Today on
MoneyWatch

New Scams Rampant on Facebook
Regulators issue a warning about sophisticated, fast-growing investment schemes.

6 Things Never to Post on Facebook
More on MoneyWatch
Gardening? 2 Foods You Need to Grow
Investors: 10 Smart Ways to Earn More
7 European Banks Fail Stress Test
Which Cities Spend Most on Cable TV?
moneywatch.com / The Economy Publications / National Interest, The / Summer, 1993 issue

AllThe EconomySaving MoneyCareer AdviceInvestingRetirement.Nati onal Interest, The

A culture of humiliation
by Christopher Cviic | Summer, 1993 | 0 Comments

PrintShareEmailDiggFacebookTwi tterGoogleDeliciousStumbleUpon NewsvineLinkedInMy YahooTechnoratiRedditRecommend 0facebooktwitterdiggbuzz..« Prev | Next ».Page 2 of 3
123..It was just short of 500 years after the battle of Kosovo, at the Congress of Berlin in 1878, that Serbia regained its independence, following it four years later, in 1882, with the proclamation of a monarchy. In the intervening centuries, the Serbs had turned their defeat at Kosovo into a powerful national myth--that of a virtuous, gallant victim undeservedly crushed by an overwhelmingly stronger army but certain to rise one day to a new greatness. It was one of several myths that the Serbs relied on to help them overcome the trauma of lost sovereignty and to compensate for the humiliations and deprivations of life under foreign rule. This acute sense of national grievance against what they perceived as an unkind fate gave the Serbs an all-encompassing alibi for the policy of territorial expansion embarked upon the first half of the nineteenth century. That sense of being absolved, on account of past suffering, from compliance with the usual norms of international behavior is one of the most important elements of Serbian political culture and behavior today. It provides an excuse for policies such as "ethnic cleansing," widely condemned by the rest of the world and based on the idea that Serbs must not be obliged to live "under" any other nation or even, as in Bosnia, to share a state with non-Serbs. Significantly, old Serb myths are particularly strong among the Serbs in Bosnia, most of whom live in sparsely populated mountain areas, with a tradition of singing folk ballads to the accompaniment of the gusle, the one-string fiddle. A recent BBC-TV documentary depicted Mr. Radovan Karadzic, leader of the Bosnian Serbs, and his men playing contemporary, strongly xenophobic versions of old folk ballads to the accompaniment of the gusle.

Kosova, Albania

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 25, 2010

It was just short of 500 years after the battle of Kosovo, at the Congress of Berlin in 1878, that Serbia regained its independence, following it four years later, in 1882, with the proclamation of a monarchy. In the intervening centuries, the Serbs had turned their defeat at Kosovo into a powerful national myth--that of a virtuous, gallant victim undeservedly crushed by an overwhelmingly stronger army but certain to rise one day to a new greatness. It was one of several myths that the Serbs relied on to help them overcome the trauma of lost sovereignty and to compensate for the humiliations and deprivations of life under foreign rule. This acute sense of national grievance against what they perceived as an unkind fate gave the Serbs an all-encompassing alibi for the policy of territorial expansion embarked upon the first half of the nineteenth century. That sense of being absolved, on account of past suffering, from compliance with the usual norms of international behavior is one of the most important elements of Serbian political culture and behavior today. It provides an excuse for policies such as "ethnic cleansing," widely condemned by the rest of the world and based on the idea that Serbs must not be obliged to live "under" any other nation or even, as in Bosnia, to share a state with non-Serbs. Significantly, old Serb myths are particularly strong among the Serbs in Bosnia, most of whom live in sparsely populated mountain areas, with a tradition of singing folk ballads to the accompaniment of the gusle, the one-string fiddle. A recent BBC-TV documentary depicted Mr. Radovan Karadzic, leader of the Bosnian Serbs, and his men playing contemporary, strongly xenophobic versions of old folk ballads to the accompaniment of the gusle

Kosova, Albania

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 26, 2010

In the past several years the Serbs have been fed, through their state-controlled television and other media, a diet of hate for the neighboring peoples. Warnings of genocide allegedly in store for the Serbs in Bosnia, Croatia, Kosovo, and elsewhere were coupled with reminders of the sufferings, many of them only too real, inflicted on the Serbs in the past--as in the years between 1941 and 1945, under the murderous regime of Ante Pavelic in Croatia. But there was also a lot of propaganda about the dark anti-Serb activities of the "enemies of the Serbian people" operating out of Bonn, Vienna, Rome, Tirana, and other "anti-Serb" centers. Cases like that of the hapless Djordje Martinovic were manipulated to make the Serbs feel humiliated once again, as they had been under the Turks, and to make them demand revenge.

Kosova, Albania

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 27, 2010

This propaganda campaign, masterminded by nationalist intellectuals in the Serbian Academy of Sciences in Belgrade and similar bodies--and indirectly helped by nationalist anti-Serb outbursts from places like Ljubljana and Zagreb--proved a brilliant success. State-owned Serbian television, which for the majority of the population is the chief source of information, played a role not unlike the gusle singers. The campaign delivered the Serbian people, both those in Serbia proper and those outside, into the hands of Mr. Milosevic, Serbia's leader since 1986, and his allies, the communist generals, in their quest for a Greater Serbia. Critical voices advocating a different course--what Serbia's small opposition likes to call the "European option"--were silenced, not least because the West seemed unable or unwilling to stop the aggression. The Serbian opposition's position today is not unlike that of the anti-Nazi German in, say, 1941 or 1942 when Hitler seemed to be invincible

Kosova, Albania

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 30, 2010

Judged:

Serbian gay rapes himself with bottle... bottle stucks in his a$$ and to save himself from humiliation he accuses albanians!
Serbian propaganda uses this low act Martinovi case was merely a pretext for mobilising nationalist sentiment to force a change to the Yugoslav constitution to give Serbia full control over its two autonomous provinces!!!

You see why serbs are natural born liars and ... losers!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of192
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••