Croat, Serb organisations urge reconciliation

Jan 9, 2014 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: SETimes news

Posting signs in both the Latin and Cyrillic alphabets is part of an effort at reconciliation between the countries in the region.

Comments
4,901 - 4,920 of 9,566 Comments Last updated Wednesday Aug 13

“Insert witty quote here”

Since: Sep 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2014

Judged:

Blahblah80 wrote:
Why cant we just agree that down the line one way or another we are all related we just have different beliefs.
Because it is pointless and does no good. Doesn't matter what common ground people try to make with one another and spread this sense of 'peace'...there will still overwhelmingly be those who will find ANY issue to create tension, disposition, and even downright hatred over someone else by targeting their beliefs, their culture, and as I stated before even merely over the colour of their skin. I don't agree with it; peace sounds like a preferred and sensible alternative, but I am realistic and see the world for what it is, for what it always has been, and for what it will always be. It is just human nature. There is no changing it. For every person who wants peace among their fellow man three more people will find something about him to hate.

Just like many Croats, Ustase supporters and many others, who hate Serbs and brand them merely because they are Serbs and for their actions against Croats (especially over events in the past few decades) and fail to base their judgement on the individuals themselves. And to every side there is always the reciprocal. Serbs hating Croats for what Ustase did to them 70 years ago and therefore labeling every Croat an Ustase supporter despite their good intentions on an individual basis. There's a difference between forgiving and just plain forgetting. People as a culture and as a nation can make strides towards reconciliation with the promise of good intentions and actually follow through with it. Shaking hands with the intention of a better future but remembering to keep your guard up and never turn your back. This is not a feature of strictly us as Croats and Serbs, but rather one of all of humanity throughout history. It's a tide off the beach, sometimes the waves are crashing, sometimes it's calm and rolling, but it never stays calm. It is just not in its nature.

Since: Dec 12

Sydney, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2014

Judged:

dino glavogno wrote:
<quoted text>
You are an pathetic old clown.You have serious mental problems , not me.Take your pills and go away
You change your name daily post dead links and rant and rave in parrot like fashion and still maintain that you do not have mental problems ??Your personality has enough material for a major psychiatrics conference......

Sydney, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2014

Judged:

Mr Cro Pockets wrote:
<quoted text>
Because it is pointless and does no good. Doesn't matter what common ground people try to make with one another and spread this sense of 'peace'...there will still overwhelmingly be those who will find ANY issue to create tension, disposition, and even downright hatred over someone else by targeting their beliefs, their culture, and as I stated before even merely over the colour of their skin. I don't agree with it; peace sounds like a preferred and sensible alternative, but I am realistic and see the world for what it is, for what it always has been, and for what it will always be. It is just human nature. There is no changing it. For every person who wants peace among their fellow man three more people will find something about him to hate.
Just like many Croats, Ustase supporters and many others, who hate Serbs and brand them merely because they are Serbs and for their actions against Croats (especially over events in the past few decades) and fail to base their judgement on the individuals themselves. And to every side there is always the reciprocal. Serbs hating Croats for what Ustase did to them 70 years ago and therefore labeling every Croat an Ustase supporter despite their good intentions on an individual basis. There's a difference between forgiving and just plain forgetting. People as a culture and as a nation can make strides towards reconciliation with the promise of good intentions and actually follow through with it. Shaking hands with the intention of a better future but remembering to keep your guard up and never turn your back. This is not a feature of strictly us as Croats and Serbs, but rather one of all of humanity throughout history. It's a tide off the beach, sometimes the waves are crashing, sometimes it's calm and rolling, but it never stays calm. It is just not in its nature.
There is always a hope.Major problem is education ( or lack of it ).Eventually we will all be citizens of planet Earth. Soon, very soon

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2014

Strahd wrote:
With all this reconciliation talk it might be helpful to get a synopsis on moves to bring some sort of stabilisation between Croats and Serbs.
‘How Croatia and Serbia buried the hatchet’
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-22316083
An interesting article to see where the two people have ended up after the conflicts of the late twentieth century.
‘Croatia's relationship with Serbs and Serbia has been long and tortuous. The two languages are very close. Croats are mostly Catholics though and Serbs are Orthodox. Croats write with the Latin alphabet. Serbs use both that and Cyrillic.’
‘Since 1995, however, relations between Serbs and Croats have been transformed beyond recognition, and for the better.’
‘Yet a new survey of young Croats shows a relatively high level of antipathy towards Serbs.’
However
‘Areas such as the former breakaway region of Krajina, from where Serbs fled or were ethnically cleansed in 1995, remain depopulated, as few returned after the war’
‘According to Prof Tvrtko Jakovina, a historian and member of the Croatian president's Foreign Policy Council, many Croats would say privately, "probably we are better off like that".’
Well, Croatians will always be….. Croatians after all lol. I mean, we have to expect the occasional hooliganism in sporting matches and so on. Maybe some right wing Ustasha banter from diaspora red necks that are decades behind in their thinking in comparison with their contemporary’s back in the ol motherland.
Nevertheless, it is heartening to know that in the field of business, holiday making, music and culture there is an exchange of sorts between the two related peoples.
For better or worse, Croats and Serbs will be stuck with each other as neighbours when everyone else has left.
Has this not reflected what I have said since coming on this forum since last year? Of course there will be those few who object, or who long of the 'glory days' under the Ustase, the days they never experienced themselves but revel in the romanticised and glorified notion of young rebel soldiers adorned in black uniforms sending their own Serb neighbours to meet death. Once it has been stated by BBC News I suppose everyone now can take the word of a legitimate source, as opposed to a poster like myself who has stressed repeatedly from experience and personal living that there is no animosity among the majority of Croats towards Serbs. Sometime I get the feeling many Serbs WANT to believe that Croats despise them on the whole, just so it justifies their own mutual hatred for Croats like a vicious circle. And same goes the other way around. As for Croats making noise about the Cyrillic alphabet in Vukovar, sometimes time does heal wounds. Vukovar is Croatia after all and maybe the generation that had to personally suffer the blow for four years from Serb aggressors are not ready to accept it. Maybe more time is needed, and in either case this issue should be rushed or pushed on those still living there.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2014

BJ4me wrote:
<quoted text>
There is always a hope.Major problem is education ( or lack of it ).Eventually we will all be citizens of planet Earth. Soon, very soon
Education is a problem, most definitely agreed. I believe the more that become educated the more tension can be avoided. But it will be non-existent. In my experience human beings are evil, and while that sounds dramatic it still stands. Human beings, from the time they are born are selfish and want what is best for them, at any cost. If this interferes with someone else's happiness and well-being then so be it. There will always be those who want power, and nothing says power like killing, subjugating, and taking from others. It's not as if I enjoy the thought of endless violence and war, I just realise it is merely a reality and I have to do my best to do my part as a good human being. Truly no disrespect intended BJ, but I am 100 percent convicted in my belief that we will never know peace here on Earth. If you believe in a place after this life, then that will be the sole hope for peace to flourish. No matter how far technology, science, education, health, and communication has come, we are still the same destructive species we were thousands of years ago. Nothing will change.
batmandu

Menges, Slovenia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2014

Judged:

Teddy_ wrote:
<quoted text>who's this ISP Winnipeg?your alter ego
stop posting idi otic questions
batmandu

Menges, Slovenia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2014

Judged:

BJ4me wrote:
<quoted text>
You change your name daily post dead links and rant and rave in parrot like fashion and still maintain that you do not have mental problems ??Your personality has enough material for a major psychiatrics conference......
"Dead links" buahahahahahaha

You never posted any link , so stop blabbering about so called "dead links"

Sydney, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2014

Judged:

batmandu wrote:
<quoted text>
"Dead links" buahahahahahaha
You never posted any link , so stop blabbering about so called "dead links"
Here is appropriate link just for you :
http://pb.rcpsych.org/content/24/10/385
batmandu

Menges, Slovenia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2014

Judged:

BJ4me wrote:
<quoted text>
Here is appropriate link just for you :
http://pb.rcpsych.org/content/24/10/385
It is more than obvious that you need lobotomy and electroconvulsive therapy

Sydney, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2014

Judged:

batmandu wrote:
<quoted text>
It is more than obvious that you need lobotomy and electroconvulsive therapy
Talking from experience???
batmandu

Menges, Slovenia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2014

Judged:

BJ4me wrote:
<quoted text>
Talking from experience???
Patients like you need radical treatment
United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2014

Judged:

Ustashi need radical treatment
pocahontas

Toronto, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2014

Judged:

Strahd wrote:
<quoted text>
I knew I could count on your support princess.
Anytime, it seems that being helpful is contagious.
pocahontas

Toronto, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2014

Judged:

Mr Cro Pockets wrote:
<quoted text>
No matter how far technology, science, education, health, and communication has come, we are still the same destructive species we were thousands of years ago. Nothing will change.
What's in our control is making our own circle the best we can make it. Teaching our children well and hoping someone else is doing the same.

Since: Mar 13

Melbourne, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2014

Judged:

Teddy_ wrote:
<quoted text>Maybe,here ain't the right place to talk about the Catholic church.
I do not have a valid reason to hate the Serbs nor the Serbian church, but I see that nothing has changed from its creation, it is inextricably part and a powerful political organization,also in Greece ...
You are right about one thing, you don't have a valid reason to hate the Serbs and the Serbian Church.

Melbourne, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2014

Judged:

BJ4me wrote:
<quoted text>
Time heals all wounds but some wounds take longer to heal.Don't forget that Vukovar was the first and worst victim of unjustified aggression and also that this city never had cyrillic signs so most of survivors see it as deliberate provocation ( like swastika to Jews )
Some Croats made a ruckus about Cyrillic back in the 60's. There is a good section with some info in the 'Tito Rise and Fall book, but I can't be bothered to chase it up. Point is that I hardly think the local alteration between the two people is reason enough. It's the Serbs that had been depopulated and yet the Croats in Vojvodina are not persecuted due to what happened in Croatia, like 'swastika to Jews'. Perhaps the next generation.

Melbourne, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2014

Judged:

Mr Cro Pockets wrote:
<quoted text>
Has this not reflected what I have said since coming on this forum since last year? Of course there will be those few who object, or who long of the 'glory days' under the Ustase, the days they never experienced themselves but revel in the romanticised and glorified notion of young rebel soldiers adorned in black uniforms sending their own Serb neighbours to meet death. Once it has been stated by BBC News I suppose everyone now can take the word of a legitimate source, as opposed to a poster like myself who has stressed repeatedly from experience and personal living that there is no animosity among the majority of Croats towards Serbs. Sometime I get the feeling many Serbs WANT to believe that Croats despise them on the whole, just so it justifies their own mutual hatred for Croats like a vicious circle. And same goes the other way around. As for Croats making noise about the Cyrillic alphabet in Vukovar, sometimes time does heal wounds. Vukovar is Croatia after all and maybe the generation that had to personally suffer the blow for four years from Serb aggressors are not ready to accept it. Maybe more time is needed, and in either case this issue should be rushed or pushed on those still living there.
I am not sure if rushing these things is such a good idea, perhaps in the natural course of time some of that portion of Croats will view things differently, others will think the same to their graves. I don't believe that most Croats despise Serbs on an obsessive level, apart from the types that frequent forums like this to vent some of that brainwashed fascist nonsense.

Melbourne, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2014

Judged:

BJ4me wrote:
<quoted text>
Idealistic, if not unrealistic. In any case I wouldn't want to imagine the dystopian nightmare that would result with human nations unified in a single goal. The story of the fall of Babylon and God confusing the human languages has a moral point to it.

Melbourne, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2014

Judged:

Mr Cro Pockets wrote:
<quoted text>
Education is a problem, most definitely agreed. I believe the more that become educated the more tension can be avoided. But it will be non-existent. In my experience human beings are evil, and while that sounds dramatic it still stands. Human beings, from the time they are born are selfish and want what is best for them, at any cost. If this interferes with someone else's happiness and well-being then so be it. There will always be those who want power, and nothing says power like killing, subjugating, and taking from others. It's not as if I enjoy the thought of endless violence and war, I just realise it is merely a reality and I have to do my best to do my part as a good human being. Truly no disrespect intended BJ, but I am 100 percent convicted in my belief that we will never know peace here on Earth. If you believe in a place after this life, then that will be the sole hope for peace to flourish. No matter how far technology, science, education, health, and communication has come, we are still the same destructive species we were thousands of years ago. Nothing will change.
I wouldn't want a 'peace on Earth' that resulted from an orwellian political Union or federation. Thankfully, humans have diverged too far in terms of religion, culture and mental outlooks for that nightmare scenario to eventuate.

Melbourne, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2014

Judged:

pocahontas wrote:
<quoted text>
Did you notice how I made smug remarks about your wise comments regarding those terrible Slavic Muslims, but how I remained quite when Dalmatino was sledging Jews and Serbs in true Usrasha style some pages back. Do you think I am a silly little hypocritical Nazi ?
Well, now that you mention it........

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••