Yugoslavia = Assimilation done wrong

Yugoslavia = Assimilation done wrong

Posted in the Serbia Forum

mmm

Sofia, Bulgaria

#1 May 11, 2013
As a kid I always found Yugoslavia interesting on the Bulgarian map and I wanted to emigrate there but it failed due to internal tensions and conflicts. You people had the ultimate pan-Slavic country and you ruined it because you thought you could assimilate others.

Don't look at Bulgaria, because assimilating during the middle ages was easier (yep, we assimilated kumani, greeks, vlachs, etc.). 20th century was too late for official and forceful assimilation. Nowadays assimilation is done only through increasing birthrates like the Turks and Gypsies do it in Bulgaria and Albanians in Kosovo and Macedonia.
mmm

Sofia, Bulgaria

#2 May 11, 2013
If Serbian families had more children, like the Roma, Albanian and Turkish people, Yugoslavia could've succeeded as one-state-one-nation country.
Karolcik

Prague, Czech Republic

#3 May 11, 2013
We also have to ask why assimilation is actually needed in order to form a united country. Why do people put so much emphasis on their ethnicity? In real life, ethnic/language divisions are much less important than for example the division between public sector workers and taxpayers.
mmm

Sofia, Bulgaria

#4 May 11, 2013
They are important here in the Balkans. People over here (in Bulgaria at least) are chauvinistic nationalists and very xenophobic. "X women are ugly, our women are the best", "all other nations are stupid, a Bulgarian made the PC" is all the crap people talk over here.

Most Bulgarians truly hate Greeks, Romanians, Turks, Macedonians and Serbians for some reason. I don't hate Romanians and Serbians and I am indifferent to Greeks and Turks.
Nandrelle

Saint Louis, MO

#5 May 13, 2013
Tito should have named his successor,if he did Yugoslavia would still stand in some way! But nobody except the Serbs voted Milosevic to be the president of Yugoslavia. The rest of us refused!
Karolcik

Prague, Czech Republic

#6 May 13, 2013
Nandrelle wrote:
Tito should have named his successor,if he did Yugoslavia would still stand in some way! But nobody except the Serbs voted Milosevic to be the president of Yugoslavia. The rest of us refused!
The game is far from over.

First, the successor states would have to prove to their citizens that they're viable, sustainable....and I don't think this can be considered proved as of 2013.
Karolcik

Prague, Czech Republic

#7 May 13, 2013
I promise that the successors will gain new strong incentives to set up a close cooperation among themselves /to say the least, in order not to frighten the advocates of BiH,S,CRO,SLO,CG right away/ once they face the EU requirements. Remember the aflatoxin affaire, which marked the beginning of what is awaiting them.
Bohemian Rhapsody

Pascoe Vale, Australia

#8 May 13, 2013
What does an aflatoxin affair has to do with forme nazi neighbouring states around Serbia? It's nothing but illuminati-masonic plot to destroy Serbs. Today poisonous milk, tomorrow all food and water
Karolcik

Prague, Czech Republic

#9 May 13, 2013
Bohemian Rhapsody wrote:
What does an aflatoxin affair has to do with forme nazi neighbouring states around Serbia? It's nothing but illuminati-masonic plot to destroy Serbs. Today poisonous milk, tomorrow all food and water
The aflatoxin affaire was the result of new, very strict EU marketing standards.(You probably drink the same milk for decades, but now the standards have to be made far stricter.)

It's the costs and economies of scale what makes state cooperate. All that marketing requirements involve considerable costs (setting up of accredited referrence laboratories, implementation of laws, on the spot inspections...). Many of those costs are fixed costs or near fixed costs - that is to say, they are equally high for a big state and for a small state.

States which cooperate can share quite a big chunk of those costs.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Serbia Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Serbs not welcome in Japan :D 3 hr srbistan 1
Serbian PM visiting US :D 3 hr srbistan 1
BG: Naoružani maloletnici ukrali dnevnik 3 hr srbistan 1
Poll What the word KAUR means ? 3 hr Lucaj 3
Britanci: Draža Nije Sarađivao s Okupatori... (Dec '11) 8 hr Zdenko Duplancic 137
News Serbia's EU path depends on dialogue with Kosov... 14 hr SunceTiKrvavo 2
News Croat, Serb organisations urge reconciliation (Jan '14) 21 hr Strahd 12,391
More from around the web