Why Dushan did not conquer Thessalonika.

Posted in the Serbia Forum

Comments
1 - 20 of 49 Comments Last updated Sep 16, 2013
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
blundunt

Midlothian, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Aug 25, 2013
 
In the mid 14th century there were three Emperors laying claim to The Eastern Roman Empire! The Serbian Tsar Dushan meant to conquer first the great city of Thessalonika. After the capture of another great and beautiful city-Serres on Sept 25th 1345 and the conquest of Kavalla and Drama he occupied most of the Chalcidic including Mount Athos thus cutting the Byzantine Empire in twain and virtually surrounding his next intended conquest-Thessalonika.

“A man's character is his fate”

Since: Jun 10

Heraclitus

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
Aug 25, 2013
 
Many tried but they didn't succeed. But, many time later Serbia got Solun to use its harbor for 100 years, but Socialist Yugoslavia refused to use it.

“A man's character is his fate”

Since: Jun 10

Heraclitus

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
Aug 25, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

My personal thought is that better thing was if Dušan tried to get back Zahumlje, from Bosnian ban who occupied that during Dušan's activities in Greece.

Dušan needed to secure the border in Slavic Macedonia and todays Northern Albania to get back Zahumlje, to secure Soli, Macva, Belgrad and Branicevo and to built better state, its inner life, culture, science and every progress.

Since: Jul 13

Genova, Italy

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Aug 25, 2013
 
It needs to see how the alliance between Dusan and Kandakuzene was broken up!

“A man's character is his fate”

Since: Jun 10

Heraclitus

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Aug 25, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Dusan was Car of Serbs, Greeks and Arbanas, and he wanted to conquer Constantinopole.

It was too much. Only one thing he should do, to get back Zahumlje and to secure borders...nothing else. He should watch to build a strong state, and not everything to fall apart after his death, just because his son was weak.

Having Thessaly and Epir in our arms was only wasting energy of the Serbian people, the state and his own energy.
Odin of Ossetia

Surrey, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Aug 25, 2013
 
Was not one of Dusan's major mistakes giving way too many privileges to foreigners living within the borders of his empire?

Probably one of the major reasons why his empire disintegrated so quickly after his death.
blundunt

Midlothian, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Aug 26, 2013
 
Odin of Ossetia wrote:
Was not one of Dusan's major mistakes giving way too many privileges to foreigners living within the borders of his empire?
Probably one of the major reasons why his empire disintegrated so quickly after his death.
His Nobility were even more ambitious than he it seems as they pretty much got what they wanted and cared not for what Tsar Dushan was trying to achieve. I think that he did his best to make everyone happy enough to be a part of his master plan.
blundunt

Midlothian, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Aug 26, 2013
 
The_Baron wrote:
My personal thought is that better thing was if Dušan tried to get back Zahumlje, from Bosnian ban who occupied that during Dušan's activities in Greece.
Dušan needed to secure the border in Slavic Macedonia and todays Northern Albania to get back Zahumlje, to secure Soli, Macva, Belgrad and Branicevo and to built better state, its inner life, culture, science and every progress.
If only the Serbia of Dushan could have been maintained after his untimely death then to face the Turkish invasion UNITED and with the help of all the people included in his realm and perhaps Wallachia and Moldavia the destruction of Ottoman and other Turk's aggression in Europe buying and winning the time needed to consolidate and grow culturally and more...
blundunt

Midlothian, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Aug 26, 2013
 
The aquisition of the places that the Baron has mentioned for sure including Durazzo and most importantly Thessalonika! And the reason that Tsar Dushan never conquered it?

Since: Jul 13

Genova, Italy

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Aug 26, 2013
 
Odin of Ossetia wrote:
Was not one of Dusan's major mistakes giving way too many privileges to foreigners living within the borders of his empire?
Probably one of the major reasons why his empire disintegrated so quickly after his death.
The Empire began crumble by his tight nobles as Hrebeljanovic,Brankovic...

Since: Jul 13

Genova, Italy

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Aug 26, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Dusan was served of the Turks...was this the fear of western i guess,an alliance of Dusan to rule together with already ambitious Ottomans

“A man's character is his fate”

Since: Jun 10

Heraclitus

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
Aug 26, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Odin and Teddy are both right. Many foreigners, many lands given to the landlords, both factors disintegrated the Cardom to many small weak parts. Imagine the situation where you have living Car (Uroš, Dušan's son) and a Vukašin Mrnjavcevic, who wasn't even from Nemanjic family, who proclaimed himself for a king at the same time.
blundunt

Midlothian, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
Aug 26, 2013
 
The Serbia of Stephan Dushan surrounded the city of Thessalonika and when in early 1350 the Serbian military enveloped the environs of the city something happened that prevented the Serbs from gaining access to it... Well? What was it?
reality

Slovenia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#14
Aug 26, 2013
 
Teddy_ wrote:
Dusan was served of the Turks...was this the fear of western i guess,an alliance of Dusan to rule together with already ambitious Ottomans
albanians served turks

Since: Jul 13

Genova, Italy

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
Aug 26, 2013
 
The_Baron wrote:
Odin and Teddy are both right. Many foreigners, many lands given to the landlords, both factors disintegrated the Cardom to many small weak parts. Imagine the situation where you have living Car (Uroš, Dušan's son) and a Vukašin Mrnjavcevic, who wasn't even from Nemanjic family, who proclaimed himself for a king at the same time.
British Encyclopedy "He (Stefan Dusan) was able to assert Serbian control over northern Epirus and fought with the Albanian lords of Arta (Gjin Bue Shpata and Peter Ljosha) in the south, eventually defeating them with Ottoman help"
reality

Slovenia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#16
Aug 26, 2013
 

Since: Jul 13

Genova, Italy

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#17
Aug 26, 2013
 
The_Baron wrote:
Odin and Teddy are both right. Many foreigners, many lands given to the landlords, both factors disintegrated the Cardom to many small weak parts. Imagine the situation where you have living Car (Uroš, Dušan's son) and a Vukašin Mrnjavcevic, who wasn't even from Nemanjic family, who proclaimed himself for a king at the same time.
Vukasin was the highest noble after Uros V,and after the death of both of them, the throne had to go to his son Marko.
Odin of Ossetia

Surrey, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#18
Aug 27, 2013
 
Northern Serbia suffered similar disintegration, after Duke Dervan's reign it was apparently never united, but instead divided into a series of small tribes, which the Germans conquered one by one in a piecemeal fashion.

Then the name of (Northern) Serbia was erased and replaced with the fake artificial name of "Saxony" (real Saxony is the "Lower Saxony").
blundunt

Midlothian, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#19
Aug 28, 2013
 
Odin of Ossetia wrote:
Northern Serbia suffered similar disintegration, after Duke Dervan's reign it was apparently never united, but instead divided into a series of small tribes, which the Germans conquered one by one in a piecemeal fashion.
Then the name of (Northern) Serbia was erased and replaced with the fake artificial name of "Saxony" (real Saxony is the "Lower Saxony").
Are you talking about "The Sorbs"? No one ever reffers to them as "Northern Serbs"- a very facsinating subject that I have overlooked lo yhese many years. Do you have more info on them?
blundunt

Midlothian, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#20
Aug 28, 2013
 
Teddy_ wrote:
<quoted text> British Encyclopedy "He (Stefan Dusan) was able to assert Serbian control over northern Epirus and fought with the Albanian lords of Arta (Gjin Bue Shpata and Peter Ljosha) in the south, eventually defeating them with Ottoman help"
I would also like to hear about Tsar Dushan's apparent frustration at being delayed in capturing the rest of Byzantium because of the huge and potent Turkish presence between him and further conquests and any overtures of a Serbian/Ottoman alliance. details details details...

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••