Senegal: Protests Against Frequent Power Outages

Jul 17, 2010 Full story: Global Voices Online 10

Public demonstrations were organized last week in Senegal to protest against load shedding by Senelec .

Full Story
Dai Diop

Tripoli, Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

#1 Jul 24, 2010
Public demonstrations were organized last week in Senegal to protest against load shedding by Senelec.

The Senegalese public rose up to protest against load shedding (black-outs)very late.

Regards,
Tam

UK

#2 Jul 24, 2010
Ha ha ha! The protest started in Mbour another Serere heartland as well as the Lebou, before it moved on to the capital Dakar. I knew the Sereres would be the first to rise and everyone else follows. LOL! No offence. Seriously though, I say well done to the Senegalese for standing up and voicing their frustrations. If only Gambians could do the same. These blackouts have been going on for decades unless you have a generator. If you are not lucky enough to have a generator you sadly have to bear it. It is totally unnecessary and shows in efficiency in the Company.
Dai Diop

#3 Jul 26, 2010
Tam wrote:
Ha ha ha! The protest started in Mbour another Serere heartland as well as the Lebou, before it moved on to the capital Dakar. I knew the Sereres would be the first to rise and everyone else follows. LOL! No offence. Seriously though, I say well done to the Senegalese for standing up and voicing their frustrations. If only Gambians could do the same. These blackouts have been going on for decades unless you have a generator. If you are not lucky enough to have a generator you sadly have to bear it. It is totally unnecessary and shows in efficiency in the Company.
Tam, you are right, if all the Senegalese or Gambians are courageous like Sereres and Lebou things would never be like this. How do you imagine a country without energy? what the foreign investors think about? our countries are being killed slowly.

Regards
Anonymous

Senegal

#4 Jul 26, 2010
cynthiakoneh@hotmail.co.uk
Hello My New friend
My name is cynthia i saw your profile at(/www.topix.com) and i love it i think we can click so please i will like you to email me back through my email address thus: so that i can told you more about me and give you my sweet picture so that you can know me will ok.
Awaiting to see your lovely reply soonest.
Miss cynthia cynthiakoneh@hotmail.co.uk
Tam

UK

#5 Jul 29, 2010
Dai Diop wrote:
<quoted text>
Tam, you are right, if all the Senegalese or Gambians are courageous like Sereres and Lebou things would never be like this. How do you imagine a country without energy? what the foreign investors think about? our countries are being killed slowly.
Regards
Personally, I think it will take a while before things change. Some of the electric poles are even dangerously installed to be honest with you.
Dai Diop

#6 Aug 2, 2010
My question is: Dose the Senegalese government know the impact of the power-cut on the Senegalese economy, development, impression to the foreign investors, the overall security of the country ....etc, the list the inconveniences is endless.

I cannot believe that the government is helpless vis-a-vis this situation.

Regards,
mushroom

#7 Aug 14, 2010
Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Personally, I think it will take a while before things change. Some of the electric poles are even dangerously installed to be honest with you.
Through Africa, what is installed correctly? don't these day people randomly dying from collapse buildings in Dakar and elsewhere?

mushroom

#8 Aug 15, 2010
Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Tam, how can we communicate privately?

Regards,
Bert Lundblad

Sweden

#9 Aug 17, 2010
Im living in sweden, but have to have communication via internet, because my wife lives in Dakar. Without proper powersupply, we ll have to divorce, because we cant communicate and plan any future!
Shame on Senegal government!
Tam

UK

#10 Aug 18, 2010
mushroom wrote:
<quoted text>
Tam, how can we communicate privately?
Regards,
Hi O, on Topix you can't communicate privately as an unregistered user. The only only way that I can think of is to create a new email address that you will never use again then and for e.g when I send you an email to that address you can respond to it but this time using your proper email address. Complicated I know. LoL! You can also register on the Bantaba in Cyberspace Forum [a Senegambian Forum]- which I am a member of. Once you've registered, members can send private messages to each other. I believe you can do a similar thing here on Topix but I think you have to be registered.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Sao Tome and Principe Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Get a working permit visa now to uk +447024089718 Oct '14 alvaro 3
Buy both real and high quality fake Passport ,V... (Apr '13) Nov '13 Hanoi 11
We are inviting four-six (4-6) Delegates to the... (Sep '13) Sep '13 INTERNATIONAL CON... 1
Students to join cultural exchanges on Africa trip (Sep '13) Sep '13 TW_sugar_daddio 2
want to buy land or house in sao tome (Nov '07) Jul '13 elly 7
Ease of doing business around the world (Nov '11) Jun '13 johnnywilliamloan... 2
Sao Tome leader 'still in charge' (Mar '09) Mar '13 hi there 2