Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 4, 2010

Judged:

SAMOA & TONGA CONNECTIONS

TUI MANU'A & TUI TONGA

THE TUI TONGA TITLE IS CONNECTED TO TUI MANU'A OF SAMOA. THE TUI MANU'A ANCIENTLY HAD INFLUENCE OVER TONGA AND WAS THE FATHER OF THE 1ST TUI TONGA AHOEITU. IT IS SAID BY REV J.E MOULTON FOUNDER OF THE TUPOU COLLEGE IN TONGA THAT THERE WAS A HUGE MIGRATION OF SAMOANS TO TONGA DURING THE REIGN OF AHOEITU son of Tui Manu'a. Samoans first landed on the east end of the island near Lafonga, where they settled after living there for many years, eventually removed to the east entrance into Mu'a inlet, and some of them still live there today.

MALIETOA & TUI TONGA

TUI TONGA ANCIENTLY HAD INFLUENCE OVER PARTS OF SAMOA AND OCCUPIED THE COASTS OF SAVAII & UPOLU ETC.... IT WAS DURING THE REIGN OF THE 15TH TUI TONGA TALAKAIFAIKI IS WHEN PROBLEMS STARTED HAPPENING FOR THE SIMPLE FACT TUI TONGA TALAKAIFAIKI WAS A CRUEL KING AND STARTED MISTREATING SOME OF THE SAMOAN PEOPLE WHICH LEAD TO WAR IN WHICH HE WAS DEFEATED AND EXPELLED FROM SAMOA GIVING BIRTH THE WARRIOR TITLE MALIETOA. After this incident many MALIETOA'S married into the Tongan Royal family and Vice Versa.

TUI KANOKUPOLU & SAMOAN CHIEF AMA OF SAFATA UPOLU

THE TUI KANOKUPOLU TITLE IS TRACED BACK TO A SAMOAN CHIEF NAMED AMA OF SAFATA UPOLU. AMA LEFT SAMOA AND SETTLED IN TONGA WITH A HUGE FOLLOWING SOME SAY HE LEFT SAMOA WITH THOUSANDS OF FOLLOWERS WHICH CONSISTED OF SAMOAN WARRIORS ETC..... SAMOAN CHIEF AMA AND HIS SAMOAN FOLLOWERS settled first in present day Tatakamotonga in Mu'a in an area called Fonuamotu. They then moved and occupied all of Hihifo and later through the Ha'a Havea clan (Sa Savea) much of central Tongatapu in the Ha'amea region. Ama and many Samoan Warriors helped establish the Tui Kanokupolu Line by helping Tui Kanokupolu in various Wars to defeat his enemies and gain power in Tonga.

Ama's daughter Limapo married Tui Haatakalaua and gave birth to GHATA. GHATA split from the Tui Haatakalaua Line and created the new Line called TUI KANOKUPOLU (FLESH OF UPOLU) the name KANOKUPOLU was givin in connection to the strong Influence that Samoa had on this dynasty.

SAMOAN CHIEF LOAU & TUI TONGA MOMO

There is also a Samoan & Tongan Connection between these 2 individuals but we shall discuss this issue later.

SAMOAN PLACE NAMES IN TONGA:

101 Samoan names are employed in the Tonga Islands as a whole and were distributed amongst the 5 groups in Tonga as shown below:

Tongatapu Islands = 71
Vavau = 47
Haapai = 40
Niuafo'ou = 15
Niuatoputapu = 9

“TIGRESS,SCORPION ,PHOENIX”

Since: Nov 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 4, 2010

Hey there TOA,
Great to see you open this topic in the Samoan thread...lol
Anyway will be adding some info to your "committed" efforts in highlighting Manu'a and Samoa'atoas influential connection to and with Tonga

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 4, 2010

TITLES OF MATAPULES AND ARTISIANS
Tongan Society
Bernice P. Bishop Museum - Bulletin 61
E.W Gifford
pg 148-152

I shall focus on all those Matapules and Artisians as listed by Gifford(similar to our Tulafale)who are reputed to be of Samoan Origin...Ancestry (by Tongan informants) are of the TuiKanokupolu line and/or serving as matapules in the TuiKanokupolu lineage and so forth.

A shaping contribution into the history,politics and social and cultural systems of Tonga.
Telekaki

Tonga

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 4, 2010

TOA the manuan fairy! ha ha ha ..its not our problem the way u r today. u should complaind to your ancestors why they wer such the chickens they were. don blame no body..blame ur weak asses for being colonized lmfao

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 4, 2010

Titles of Matapules and Artisians
As researched and written by Edward Winslow Gifford
information received from Tongan informants..

-AKAUOLA:the toutai(navigator) of the king of Tonga. a member of the Ha'a Toutai. He is said to be of Samoan descent,the Samoan form of his title being La'auola. AKAUOLA and MOALA are related.

-AFEAKI: matapule to the Tui Kanokupolu residence Ha'apai

-AFU HA'A LAUFULI: a matapule of the Ha'a Molofaha, serving the Tui Kanokupolu, resides in Vava'u. Was previously a matapule for the Ha'aTakalaua.

-AFU HA'A MANGO, a matapule. Residence Okoa Island, Vava'u.

-ANGAKEHE: a matapule in the village of Uiha Island, Ha'apai, serving the chief MALUPO

-FAINGA'A: a toutai ika(fisherman) of Talau Vava'u Island.

-FAKATULOLO: also called Lutui and Fokololo. A matapule of the Ha'a Toutai, serving the Tui Kanokupolu, but formerly served the Ha'a Takalaua

-FANGUPO:a toutai-navigator. The first Fangupo mentioned in the geneaologies is Maheuliuli who was the son of a man named Kefu and a woman named Finau(son's daughter of the Chief Ma'afutukuiaulahi(TuiKanokupol u line) who bore the personal name of Tangatailavalu).

-FAOA: an eikisi'i, who has charge of fishing at Hakau Tapu, Tongatapu. First appointee by Tui Ha'a Takalaua. Present appointee by Tui Kanokupolu

To be continued....

TOA

“"TUI MANU'A LO'U ALI'I E"”

Since: Jun 09

Compton, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 4, 2010

Telekaki wrote:
TOA the manuan fairy! ha ha ha ..its not our problem the way u r today. u should complaind to your ancestors why they wer such the chickens they were. don blame no body..blame ur weak asses for being colonized lmfao
Telekaki lol typical Tongan raised on false pride lol its funny how Tongans make up so many false stories on SAMOANS I have heard it all from Tongans we ruled Samoa for 350 years, the Taulima is a Slave mark, Haamoa is a slave name LMAO, Finau Ulukalala conquered Samoa lol, we Tongans were so great of Warriors that we faught off the palagi people that is why we are not colonized LMAO and the false stories go on and on and on and even up to this day more made up stories to make themselves feel superior over Samoans are being made up as we speak lol.

Its funny you call us Samoans Chickens when Tui Manu'a Anciently Conquered Tonga and till this day the Samoan Language is mixed up with Niuafo'ou, Niuatoputapu, Tafahi, Uvea's LANGUAGE. Name a Island in Samoa that the Tongan Language is mixed with?

The Ancestors of the Malietoa Family Anciently kicked Tui Tonga out of Samoa because they did not like the way he ruled something your people have been scared to do for many years now. You claim to be Warriors prove it stand up to your King when he is wrong and tell him you do not like the way he is ruling! I bet you and every other Tongan doesn't have the BALLS to stand up to your KING. NOW TELL ME WHOSE THE CHICKENS?

Samoan Chief Ama of Safata Upolu is the origin of the Tui Kanokupolu Line for he migrated and settled in Tonga with a huge number of SAMOAN PEOPLE which consisted of SAMOAN WARRIORS etc. I hope you know that many SAMOAN WARRIORS helped this Line of rulers gain POWER in Tonga by helping Tui Kanokupolu in Various WARS etc.....

Even your famous Warrior Finau Ulukalala was helped by Samoan Warriors to Invade Vavau.

REMEMBER MY FRIEND THAT EACH OCCASION THERE WAS A MIGRATION OF SAMOANS TO TONGA.

TUI MANU'A = AHOEITU = MANY SAMOANS MIGRATED TO TONGA

SAMOAN CHIEF AMA OF SAFATA UPOLU = TUI KANOKUPOLU = MANY SAMOANS MIGRATED TO TONGA.

Tell me what village you are from and what island because you might have SAMOAN ANCESTRY AS WELL lol

TOA

Compton, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 4, 2010

Masina wrote:
Titles of Matapules and Artisians
As researched and written by Edward Winslow Gifford
information received from Tongan informants..
-AKAUOLA:the toutai(navigator) of the king of Tonga. a member of the Ha'a Toutai. He is said to be of Samoan descent,the Samoan form of his title being La'auola. AKAUOLA and MOALA are related.
-AFEAKI: matapule to the Tui Kanokupolu residence Ha'apai
-AFU HA'A LAUFULI: a matapule of the Ha'a Molofaha, serving the Tui Kanokupolu, resides in Vava'u. Was previously a matapule for the Ha'aTakalaua.
-AFU HA'A MANGO, a matapule. Residence Okoa Island, Vava'u.
-ANGAKEHE: a matapule in the village of Uiha Island, Ha'apai, serving the chief MALUPO
-FAINGA'A: a toutai ika(fisherman) of Talau Vava'u Island.
-FAKATULOLO: also called Lutui and Fokololo. A matapule of the Ha'a Toutai, serving the Tui Kanokupolu, but formerly served the Ha'a Takalaua
-FANGUPO:a toutai-navigator. The first Fangupo mentioned in the geneaologies is Maheuliuli who was the son of a man named Kefu and a woman named Finau(son's daughter of the Chief Ma'afutukuiaulahi(TuiKanokupol u line) who bore the personal name of Tangatailavalu).
-FAOA: an eikisi'i, who has charge of fishing at Hakau Tapu, Tongatapu. First appointee by Tui Ha'a Takalaua. Present appointee by Tui Kanokupolu
To be continued....
Masina are these Matapule's SAMOAN?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 4, 2010

Judged:

TOA wrote:
<quoted text>
Masina are these Matapule's SAMOAN?
Since most if not all these matapules are or tautua in the TuiKanokupolu line, I have included them. You dont tautua in a line unless you are related to it to some or in varying degrees of blood relation. The TUIKANOKUPOLU is Samoan-Tongan...those in it are as considered are samoan tongan unless otherwise specified.
There is still more to add to this working list.

The thing about all of this TOA is that from the Tuitonga, Tui Ha'atakalaua...Ulukalalas...No pele.. Houeiki...Matapules and even down to the so called common folk...They all have Samoan mixture...blood in them....whether they like it or not.

TOA

Compton, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 4, 2010

Masina wrote:
<quoted text>
Since most if not all these matapules are or tautua in the TuiKanokupolu line, I have included them. You dont tautua in a line unless you are related to it to some or in varying degrees of blood relation. The TUIKANOKUPOLU is Samoan-Tongan...those in it are as considered are samoan tongan unless otherwise specified.
There is still more to add to this working list.
The thing about all of this TOA is that from the Tuitonga, Tui Ha'atakalaua...Ulukalalas...No pele.. Houeiki...Matapules and even down to the so called common folk...They all have Samoan mixture...blood in them....whether they like it or not.
Kind of makes you think why the commoners of TONGA know so little about the SAMOAN CONNECTION.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2010

Judged:

TOA wrote:
<quoted text>
Kind of makes you think why the commoners of TONGA know so little about the SAMOAN CONNECTION.
Well TOA, if you look at it this way....Kings rule...Chiefs direct and serve their ruler and Commoners serve...both. That is the schema of things. However, in this scenario of knowing so little or not knowing at all, it is a matter of POWER. Knowledge is power. To withold certain knowledge/information is to control that so called power...of knowing and not knowing, and it undoubtedly makes a huge difference between being enlightened and being or kept(in my opinion intentionally ignorant).

What you dont know....you cant speak of. What you know or think you know can be a danger or even a threat to the status quo. That is the upperhand that the elite may have upon the general populace of what is referred to as commoners. The stigma of being called a commoner, I believe is so heavily ingrained upon the minds...the psyche of some tongan people that the thought of even "standing up to" or speaking against their rulers is seen(depending on the generation...) as something comparable to a sin.(lol) Well, because of all the respect.. divinity...sacredness...hype and hooplah...which is of course is nothing short of mind control....when you get to the nitty gritty of things....hahahaha.

Were there tongan kings/rulers who had common blood? Of course. But then one has to look into tongan society and see how RANK played such a vital role as a cohesive force and at the same time as a great separator in knowing exactly where you belong in the genealogical board...so to speak. Knowledge of genealogies,kinship, connection and ties were the stuff of the rulers...the royals...in this society. As I have studied a bit of Tongan society and its prehistory and history....I did not find it surprising that even matapules were not so knowledgeable about their own king/rulers.....genealogy...an d even if they think they knew something....it wasnt something they would speak out about.

In a nutshell, being a commoner you didnt worry your head about who you were, where you came from and where you were going. You are there to provide a service to your chiefs and ruler. The buck stopped there. Trusting your "superiors" who are supposed to know it all, whilst you know nothing of the sort. If you were told that you are the byproduct of maggots, and are to give your blood and sweat to the land to provide for the semi divine rulers...that is your lot in life....no questions asked.

A very elitist approach I should say. Knowing so little of the Samoan connection is as I would surmise...is a calculated...intentional decision and move. I believe that it all lies in the realm of and a matter of CREATING a NEW and UNIQUE IDENTITY....separate from that which your origins lie. In doing so, one must divorce oneself from the mold and redefine itself in such a manner that it takes on unique characteristics, but at the same time...still retaining semblances of identical structures to that of you originated from...and through heavy borrowing.

Tonga's so called "unique" identity stems out of its parentage from mostly Samoa and Fiji...where Samoa not only in symbolism but in actuality represents the "mother's side" and Fiti in a manner of speaking, represents the "father's side."

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2010

TOA..Sorry for the digression...lol, but its all good.
Additionally, I forgot to state that ignorance, aside from being intentionally superimposed upon one's faculties..within certain confines... can be self imposed as well. lol

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2010

Continuing on....lol

*Later,I shall include the origins and TITLES OF CHIEFS...another part in Gifford's text....any and all info that highlights Samoan connections or influences. I havent included anything from Bott,Tavi...Discussions with Her Majesty Queen Salote...just yet. I shall add information relative to these discussions from that text, if it is missing or not covered in these postings and are of interest...with interesting stories or accounts in the tongan perspective.

(** will indicate a comment given by cest moi...myself about a certain name,individual occurance, if it is of some relative interest or open to question)

-FEMUIAKI: house builder and boat builder of Tuanekivale,Vava'u. Forefathers appointed by Tuitoga. Now appointed by TuiKanokupolu.

-FETOAUI, a toutai'ika(fisherman)at Tuanekivale,Vava'u.

-FOTU: a matapule of the Ha'a Molofaha, serving the Tui Kanokupolu. Resides in Vavau. The first Fotu mentioned in genealogies had two sons. Pala and John(**Sione), who successfully held the title.
Enoch(**Enoka), a holder of the title died in December 8,1899.

-HAUFANO: a matapule to the Tui Kanokupolu. Resides in Niuafo'ou.(**Haufano, I believe to be or is FAUFANO..a not so common a name, but of Manu'a connections...ties..origin)

-HELU:matapule. Present title holder is the mayor of Lotofoa,Foa Island, Ha'apai. The preceeding Helu was his father, who had succeeded his older brother Jonathan Siale as Helu.

-HOLAKEITUAI: a matapule apparently created by Taufa’ahau(later George I)(**Taufa’asau, TuiKanokupolu), about 1830 as reward for bravery. The title means “keep away from me, it might be too late”, addressed to the chief.
They were: Tufui, brother of Tuuhetoka and father’s father’s father of incumbent, son of Mapaha’ano, who was son of Tui Haa Takalaua Fuatakifolaha; Mahe, son of Tufui; Paliono, son of Tufui; Job, son of Mahe; Samuel, son of Job; and John Tupou, son of Job, incumbent.

-KAMA: a matapule title derived from the AMA chiefly title of Safata district, Upolu Island, Samoa.(see p. 141). Filise Vaitaiki was the personal name of the Kama of 1921.
-Kaufanga: a matapule of the Tui Kanokupolu, resides in Ha’apai
-Kepa: a matapule of Felemea, Uiha Island
-Kofe: a matapule to the Tui Kanokupolu. Resides in Ha’apai.

-KULA(**’Ula): a toutai ika title held by a resident of Nukunukumotu Island, near Tongatapu. Serves the Tui Kanokupolu. An earlier holdr of the title bore the personal names Fa’amoetoutai and Philip. He was nicknamed(**hingoa fakatenetene) Kauikatea by the Tui Tonga, because of his expertness with the throwing net (** Ia fa’afetai I le Upega o Pili ua o’o mai I lenei itu o le Vasaloloa…hahaha)

-LAMATAUAKI: sometimes shortened to Lamatau. The undertaker(haatufunga) of the Tuitonga. It is not clear whether this is a title or merely a name, as Lamatauaki is said to have succeeded(**Lauati) Lauaki.

(**Helu: meaning in Fijian-Seru; Samoan-Selu...a wonderful story...a poignant one about the first Helu who went to Samoa, upon the orders of "Tuitonga"(but that is even conflicting in tongan tradition circles, because it is believed to be TuiHa'atakalaua and the journey/voyage was to take gifts(**appears to be a wedding dowry...gifts to his samoan "wife" and her family.)

Will cover that story later.

TOA

Compton, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2010

Masina wrote:
Continuing on....lol
*Later,I shall include the origins and TITLES OF CHIEFS...another part in Gifford's text....any and all info that highlights Samoan connections or influences. I havent included anything from Bott,Tavi...Discussions with Her Majesty Queen Salote...just yet. I shall add information relative to these discussions from that text, if it is missing or not covered in these postings and are of interest...with interesting stories or accounts in the tongan perspective.
(** will indicate a comment given by cest moi...myself about a certain name,individual occurance, if it is of some relative interest or open to question)
-FEMUIAKI: house builder and boat builder of Tuanekivale,Vava'u. Forefathers appointed by Tuitoga. Now appointed by TuiKanokupolu.
-FETOAUI, a toutai'ika(fisherman)at Tuanekivale,Vava'u.
-FOTU: a matapule of the Ha'a Molofaha, serving the Tui Kanokupolu. Resides in Vavau. The first Fotu mentioned in genealogies had two sons. Pala and John(**Sione), who successfully held the title.
Enoch(**Enoka), a holder of the title died in December 8,1899.
-HAUFANO: a matapule to the Tui Kanokupolu. Resides in Niuafo'ou.(**Haufano, I believe to be or is FAUFANO..a not so common a name, but of Manu'a connections...ties..origin)
-HELU:matapule. Present title holder is the mayor of Lotofoa,Foa Island, Ha'apai. The preceeding Helu was his father, who had succeeded his older brother Jonathan Siale as Helu.
-HOLAKEITUAI: a matapule apparently created by Taufa’ahau(later George I)(**Taufa’asau, TuiKanokupolu), about 1830 as reward for bravery. The title means “keep away from me, it might be too late”, addressed to the chief.
They were: Tufui, brother of Tuuhetoka and father’s father’s father of incumbent, son of Mapaha’ano, who was son of Tui Haa Takalaua Fuatakifolaha; Mahe, son of Tufui; Paliono, son of Tufui; Job, son of Mahe; Samuel, son of Job; and John Tupou, son of Job, incumbent.
-KAMA: a matapule title derived from the AMA chiefly title of Safata district, Upolu Island, Samoa.(see p. 141). Filise Vaitaiki was the personal name of the Kama of 1921.
-Kaufanga: a matapule of the Tui Kanokupolu, resides in Ha’apai
-Kepa: a matapule of Felemea, Uiha Island
-Kofe: a matapule to the Tui Kanokupolu. Resides in Ha’apai.
-KULA(**’Ula): a toutai ika title held by a resident of Nukunukumotu Island, near Tongatapu. Serves the Tui Kanokupolu. An earlier holdr of the title bore the personal names Fa’amoetoutai and Philip. He was nicknamed(**hingoa fakatenetene) Kauikatea by the Tui Tonga, because of his expertness with the throwing net (** Ia fa’afetai I le Upega o Pili ua o’o mai I lenei itu o le Vasaloloa…hahaha)
-LAMATAUAKI: sometimes shortened to Lamatau. The undertaker(haatufunga) of the Tuitonga. It is not clear whether this is a title or merely a name, as Lamatauaki is said to have succeeded(**Lauati) Lauaki.
(**Helu: meaning in Fijian-Seru; Samoan-Selu...a wonderful story...a poignant one about the first Helu who went to Samoa, upon the orders of "Tuitonga"(but that is even conflicting in tongan tradition circles, because it is believed to be TuiHa'atakalaua and the journey/voyage was to take gifts(**appears to be a wedding dowry...gifts to his samoan "wife" and her family.)
Will cover that story later.
WOW! Very interesting Masina could you post more please. I would like to learn more.

Soifua

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2010

TOA wrote:
<quoted text>
WOW! Very interesting Masina could you post more please. I would like to learn more.
Soifua
Alrightey....will do TOA.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2010

cont'd

-Lavemai: house builder and boat builder of Mangia Vava'u, appointed by the Tui Kanokupolu.

-LEHA: matapule to Jioeli Pangia(the man who probably would be Tui Tonga, if the office were not absorbed by the Tui Kanokupolu). Leha's functions are house building and boat building.
The first LEHA came from SAMOA. Compare Lehapoto and Lehauli(pg. 67)

-MOALA: a toutai(navigator) to the Tui Kanokupolu. He is of reputed SAMOAN descent and related to AKAUOLA. Seat is in the Hihifo district, Tongatapu.

-MASILA: a matapule to the Tui Kanokupolu, resides in Niuafo'ou.

-*MOTU'APUAKA: One of the two great matapules of the Tui Kanokupolu. He is of SAMOAN lineage. Member of the Ha'a Molofaha. The octopus was the incarnation of MOTU'APUAKA's god. The Motu'apuaka in 1921 was an old man. His pre-appointment name was Mathew Makamoeafi, which had been bestowed upon him as a small boy, by Ata.. He had succeeded his father, he being the oldest living son. Earlier incumbents bore the names Fekeila and Thomas Tui Pulotu before their appointment. Thomas Tui Pulotu's mother was the daughter of an earlier Motu'apuaka. Molofaha is the title used in the kava circle. see Maliepo.

TOA

Compton, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2010

Masina wrote:
cont'd
-Lavemai: house builder and boat builder of Mangia Vava'u, appointed by the Tui Kanokupolu.
-LEHA: matapule to Jioeli Pangia(the man who probably would be Tui Tonga, if the office were not absorbed by the Tui Kanokupolu). Leha's functions are house building and boat building.
The first LEHA came from SAMOA. Compare Lehapoto and Lehauli(pg. 67)
-MOALA: a toutai(navigator) to the Tui Kanokupolu. He is of reputed SAMOAN descent and related to AKAUOLA. Seat is in the Hihifo district, Tongatapu.
-MASILA: a matapule to the Tui Kanokupolu, resides in Niuafo'ou.
-*MOTU'APUAKA: One of the two great matapules of the Tui Kanokupolu. He is of SAMOAN lineage. Member of the Ha'a Molofaha. The octopus was the incarnation of MOTU'APUAKA's god. The Motu'apuaka in 1921 was an old man. His pre-appointment name was Mathew Makamoeafi, which had been bestowed upon him as a small boy, by Ata.. He had succeeded his father, he being the oldest living son. Earlier incumbents bore the names Fekeila and Thomas Tui Pulotu before their appointment. Thomas Tui Pulotu's mother was the daughter of an earlier Motu'apuaka. Molofaha is the title used in the kava circle. see Maliepo.
WOW now I am starting to see why the name KANOKUPOLU was really givin the influence SAMOA had on this dynasty is crazy.

Do you have more Facts you can post Masina?

Another thing I wanted to address about the name SA(MOA). If you really watch the Taualuga and the Male Aiuli you will see the imitation of a MOA or bird everything from the hands spread out like wings to the stepping of the Taupou what do you think? Even the Faa Umu sounds like a roar of a MOA (ROOSTER).

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2010

cont'd
Forgot this one

-SIKA: a matapule to the Tui Kanokupolu. Resides in Niuatoputapu.

-TAFUNA: a matapule of Uiha, Uiha Island.Tafuna appointed by Malupo. Tafuna in 1921 had succeeded his father Moses Taufa, who also bore the title Tafuna.

-TAHIMATAKIMOANA: a matapule of the village of Uiha, Uiha Island, Ha'apai, serving chief Malupo.(** in another source Malupo is also stated to be of and have Samoan lineage)

-TOFILAU: a matapule, though not serving any particular chief. Informant calls himself kings matapule. The father, grandfather and great grandfather of the informant all have the name Tofilau, as did also two brothers of his father. Residence, Pangai, Lifuka. The incumbent an old man(1921) was living when Laufilitonga died.

-'UHATAFE: a matapule and carpenter to the Tui Tonga. Of SAMOAN origin according to John Havea, of Rotuman origin according to Tapueluelu. According to a third informant(**not mentioned here)Uhatafe came from Rotuma in the reign of Tuitonga Puipuifatu.

-UHI: a matapule to ATA. for origin see VAENO.
(**Uhi and Va'eno are of Samoan origin. Tongan tradition does not state the name of the mother, but of course the mother is one of many female relatives of Tohuia Limapo...who accompanied her as they went to Tonga.)

-ULA: a navigator title. The origin of Ula is SAMOAN.(see p. 143)His seat is at Neiafu in the Hihifo district, Tongatapu. The Tamaha's genealogies show a succession as follows; ULA to his son's son Likuohihifo, to his son Amini. The late Queen Takipo, the wife of King George Tupou II, was the daughter of an ULA.

-VA'ENO: a matapule to Tungi. Of SAMOAN origin. A Samoan woman in the train of Tohuia(Limapo...the mother of the first Tui Kanokupolu) gave birth to twins who became Uhi and Va'eno . Their names became titles for two lines of matapule. Uhi is matapule to ATA.)

(**TUITONGA PUIPUIFATU Samoan Tongan, is said by Tongan tradition to have lived in Samoa.
TT Puipuifatu, Togialelei and Tuiavi'i, brothers whose mothers are sisters Popoa'i and Taufaitoa.. who are of the TuiManu'a line...
I will try to cover the samoan tradition about these brothers later

TOA

Compton, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2010

Masina wrote:
cont'd
Forgot this one
-SIKA: a matapule to the Tui Kanokupolu. Resides in Niuatoputapu.
-TAFUNA: a matapule of Uiha, Uiha Island.Tafuna appointed by Malupo. Tafuna in 1921 had succeeded his father Moses Taufa, who also bore the title Tafuna.
-TAHIMATAKIMOANA: a matapule of the village of Uiha, Uiha Island, Ha'apai, serving chief Malupo.(** in another source Malupo is also stated to be of and have Samoan lineage)
-TOFILAU: a matapule, though not serving any particular chief. Informant calls himself kings matapule. The father, grandfather and great grandfather of the informant all have the name Tofilau, as did also two brothers of his father. Residence, Pangai, Lifuka. The incumbent an old man(1921) was living when Laufilitonga died.
-'UHATAFE: a matapule and carpenter to the Tui Tonga. Of SAMOAN origin according to John Havea, of Rotuman origin according to Tapueluelu. According to a third informant(**not mentioned here)Uhatafe came from Rotuma in the reign of Tuitonga Puipuifatu.
-UHI: a matapule to ATA. for origin see VAENO.
(**Uhi and Va'eno are of Samoan origin. Tongan tradition does not state the name of the mother, but of course the mother is one of many female relatives of Tohuia Limapo...who accompanied her as they went to Tonga.)
-ULA: a navigator title. The origin of Ula is SAMOAN.(see p. 143)His seat is at Neiafu in the Hihifo district, Tongatapu. The Tamaha's genealogies show a succession as follows; ULA to his son's son Likuohihifo, to his son Amini. The late Queen Takipo, the wife of King George Tupou II, was the daughter of an ULA.
-VA'ENO: a matapule to Tungi. Of SAMOAN origin. A Samoan woman in the train of Tohuia(Limapo...the mother of the first Tui Kanokupolu) gave birth to twins who became Uhi and Va'eno . Their names became titles for two lines of matapule. Uhi is matapule to ATA.)
(**TUITONGA PUIPUIFATU Samoan Tongan, is said by Tongan tradition to have lived in Samoa.
TT Puipuifatu, Togialelei and Tuiavi'i, brothers whose mothers are sisters Popoa'i and Taufaitoa.. who are of the TuiManu'a line...
I will try to cover the samoan tradition about these brothers later
Please do so this list of genealogy you are posting is very interesting I have heard many sources claiming that thousands of Samoans migrated to Tonga during the Kanokupolu Dynasty but didnt know the exact details besides the Matai System. Knowledge is power please post more Masina.

Soifua

TOA

Compton, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 7, 2010

Thank you Masina for the info. I have now researched the Kanokupolu Line and most of his Matapules were all SAMOAN.

For example

Kamoto, an important matapule, is the head of Fale Hakili, House of Hakili, said to be a Samoan house. He was brought to Hihifo when Ngata was born.

TOA

Compton, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 12, 2010

Masina I have been researching this Dynasty and to my amazement the Tui Kanokupolu Dynasty in TONGA is referred to by many Tongan Scholars and Tongans themselves as a POWERFUL SAMOAN DYNASTY in TONGA.

Everything from Politics to Matapule's etc its straight SAMOAN.

Now something to think about if this Samoan Dynasty Tui Kanokupolu was to have been defeated in Tonga and expelled from Tonga would it have turned into the same incident and blown out of proportion as the Tui Tonga incident when he got expelled from SAMOA Anciently?

Because this Samoan Dynasty Tui Kanokupolu ruled Tonga but the only difference is that this dynasty did not get expelled from TONGA but gained POWER and Influence stretching the SAMOAN INFLUENCE to all corners of Tonga in as little as 2 centuries.

1) 1st Tui Tonga half Samoan half Tongan had influence in Samoa but got expelled.

2) 1st Tui Kanokupolu half Samoan half Tongan had influence in Tonga but did not get expelled and since this Samoan Dynasty did not get expelled it is not talked about as much as when Tui Tonga got expelled you get what I mean?

Feel free to comment your opinion.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Samoa Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Who is the beautiful as afakasi Suga in this vi... 5 hr Tonga1up 1
white and black samoans 9 hr Pop 3
alagaupu fa"asamoa (Apr '09) 9 hr Manusopo44 375
Samoan women are very beautiful. Aug 18 David1 8
Polynesians are the Lost tribe of Naphtali!. Aug 18 Navosa 123
Why Do People ASSUME Hawaiians Are Asian? (Apr '12) Aug 17 Tui Micronesia 89
25 Samoans on nfl rosters for 2013 season (Sep '13) Aug 17 taepu_faafana 18

Search the Samoa Forum:
•••