Russian demonstrators rally in suppor...

Russian demonstrators rally in support of U.S. adoption ban

There are 114 comments on the The Baltimore Sun story from Mar 2, 2013, titled Russian demonstrators rally in support of U.S. adoption ban. In it, The Baltimore Sun reports that:

People march in favor of U.S. adoption ban People march during a rally in support of a ban on U.S. adoptions in Moscow, March 2, 2013.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Baltimore Sun.

Tex Rogers

Edmonton, Canada

#85 Mar 5, 2013
Oh Yeah. Reverse an on going demographic tide. How do you do that ? You really are a stupid ghetto zhid- kolkhoznik Alexey. You are obviously inbred and mentally retarded. No more need to be said.

SWG

Since: Feb 10

Houston, Texas

#86 Mar 5, 2013
Alexey25 wrote:
<quoted text>
Ha ha ha stupid Yanks have proven to be stupid again.
This is already has been reversed.
Old Jew Amicus is simply too stupid to undate his information on the matter and to throw that crap to garbage bin. lol.
OK Skippy, show all of us YOUR facts and figures that prove his wrong then.........We are waiting.........

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#87 Mar 5, 2013
Alexey25 wrote:
<quoted text>
Another idiotic rusophobic myth.
Alcohol issue appeared after the collapse of USSR.
There were nearly no drug adictted in USSR.
Very low crime rate.
No unemployment.
Russia needs to restore USSR.
Utterly untrue. pandemic alcoholism reaches far back into Russian history.

You are generally correct about the other addictions, though in the 19th century addiction to Laudanum (opium) was very great among the upper classes.
Tex Rogers

Calgary, Canada

#90 Mar 5, 2013
Yes this trend will be reversed by putting electric motors in old communists, so they do not die, says Russian Pravda. Yes, of course. We will make them all f....ck more said, Vasilli Khuyovchuk, a Russian apparatchik attached to the Russian Ministry of Health. We will have them in Siberia and we will make sure they procreate WORLD HEALTH ORGANIZATION 2012 SEMINAR Transcript on Russian Population, Geneva ! IBT: Do you expect Russia's population to keep declining?
LIOTTA: Yes. We should expect to see between a quarter and as much as a third of Russia's current population simply vanish in the next 35 years -- a loss of more than 30 million people.
Notably, Ukraine's population decline will be worse, where we will definitely see a loss of a third of its population during the same time-frame.
There is another problem Russia has as well. Its population is aging. Russians age 65 or older will comprise 20 percent of the population a decade from now.
IBT: Are life expectancy rates in Russia much lower than in Western Europe?
LIOTTA: Yes, by about a decade. In very rough terms, since life expectancies vary widely by states, life expectancies for western Europe are 77 years, for Russia they 67 years.
Tex Rogers

Calgary, Canada

#91 Mar 5, 2013
Russia .... Yes,such a fine country to die in.....

SWG

Houston, Texas

#92 Mar 5, 2013
Alexey25 wrote:
<quoted text>
Ha ha ha stupid Yanks have proven to be stupid again.
This is already has been reversed.
Old Jew Amicus is simply too stupid to undate his information on the matter and to throw that crap to garbage bin. lol.
We are STILL waiting..........

Since: Aug 07

Location hidden

#93 Mar 5, 2013
Tex Rogers wrote:
Russia .... Yes,such a fine country to die in.....
No, Russia is a country to die for!

“In the cockles of weirdness”

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#94 Mar 5, 2013
Tex Rogers wrote:
<quoted text>You rurssian communist deceiver. You know very well that when I said as high as 90% of some degree of FAS , I was talking of problem children in orphanages that are sent for adoption.

So I will say it AGAIN for your benefit " UP TO 90% of children in orphanages have some degree of FAS or mental or physical problem I am talking about orphanage kids and their problems...... not the general birth poulation...... and YOU KNEW THat but twisted anyway..... you are a bad liar.
WRONG.

YOU are claiming that "up to 90%" of Russian children "in orphanages" have "some degree of FAS" and I just SHOWED you what you can easily google for yourself instead of sitting there and making up LIES because you are a lying POS.

I quoted several ADOPTION websites, people who have adopted children from Russian orphanages, and they are saying NO, their kids do not have FAS to ANY degree.
So STFU and stop pulling statistics out of your ass. Anyone can google the info and I just did that.

SWG

Houston, Texas

#95 Mar 5, 2013
Robespierre wrote:
<quoted text>
Please then. Feel free to go there and do so or is it too tough to give up what you have from the west to do so? Hypocrite! Your the same as the others here. You spout off about a how great a country is that you don't live in and would never give up your creature comforts to live in. HYPOCRITE! Plain and simple. The biggest difference between the two of us is I KNOW who helped me get where I'm at and protects me when need be and am grateful for it. YOU on the other hand are like many here. You want the protection of others while being able, at the same time, to bash them with no consequences for your actions. IF you were a REAL man you would stand by your convictions, that you state, and go to live in Russia as you are. You can't handle it because you would have to live as others there and learn to do without. Something you can't stomach. Better that the people with no choice and real convictions do everyday, without complaint. You don't have the stomach for it. You're not tough enough to be a Russian.

Location hidden

#97 Mar 5, 2013
Tex Rogers wrote:
THIS IS WHAT I WROTE SUNSHINE, YOU RUSSIAN COMMunist TRAINED LIAR :Russia has been adopting out these Fetal Alcohol Syndrome babies to the USA at a high rate. I would estimate that
Stop right there.
YOU estimate that. YOU. And YOU are wrong. Either you're right or the US government is right and all those women are right who talk online about their adopted Russian babies on dozens of websites.

Location hidden

#98 Mar 5, 2013
SWG wrote:
<quoted text>Please then. Feel free to go there and do so or is it too tough to give up what you have from the west to do so? Hypocrite! Your the same as the others here. You spout off about a how great a country is that you don't live in and would never give up your creature comforts to live in. HYPOCRITE! Plain and simple. The biggest difference between the two of us is I KNOW who helped me get where I'm at and protects me when need be and am grateful for it. YOU on the other hand are like many here. You want the protection of others while being able, at the same time, to bash them with no consequences for your actions. IF you were a REAL man you would stand by your convictions, that you state, and go to live in Russia as you are. You can't handle it because you would have to live as others there and learn to do without. Something you can't stomach. Better that the people with no choice and real convictions do everyday, without complaint. You don't have the stomach for it. You're not tough enough to be a Russian.
I never asked anything to the USA, and never recived anything from it either. So I don't see why you get so emotional.

Beside, you don't know if I am not Russian, or if I don't intend to live there, or if I have my origins there.

As for creature comfort, as you call it, Russia has very little to envy from the West these days in terms of standards of living. Have you visited Russia recently?

Location hidden

#99 Mar 5, 2013
Tex Rogers wrote:
The map is from 2009, is From your Russian Federal Statistics Service. It was forwarded to V Putin and the UN. You, Alexiy are a very, very stupid and ignorant russian idiot indeed !
You are a very stupid, ignorant FAKE Canadian if you think no one else can click on the same wiki page and find the current map, you dirty piece of crap!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Russia_natu...

Location hidden

#100 Mar 5, 2013
Furthermore, in 2008 one demographic analyst (correctly) predicted a resumption in population growth by 2010, and of natural population growth by 2013

^ also says it's because of the death rate, NOT the birth rate.

The causes for this sharp increase in mortality are widely debated. According to a 2009 report by The Lancet,[21] a British medical journal, mass privatization, an element of the economic-reform package nicknamed shock therapy, clearly correlates with higher mortality rates. The report argues that advocates of economic reforms ignored the human cost of the policies they were promoting, such as unemployment and human suffering, leading to an early death.

Soviets had a tax for childlessness??? Which ended in 1992

Location hidden

#101 Mar 5, 2013
Russian and American Birth Rates Have Rapidly Converged
7/01/2012

http://www.forbes.com/sites/markadomanis/2012...

I am in the middle of doing a longer post on recent Russian demographic trends, but in the course of doing research I stumbled upon something that was far too interesting to pass up.

Although Russia is often portrayed as a demographic nightmare, a “dying bear” that is rapidly receding from the world stage and that is doomed to irrelevance, and the United States is often portrayed as enjoying demographics that are uniquely robust among developed nations, I would argue that the reality is quite a bit more complicated. Although America benefits greatly from immigration, its fertility rate has actually consistently been sub-replacement for almost all of the past 20 years. Knowing that, due to the aftereffects of the Great Recession, birth rates in the United States have generally been declining for the past few years and also knowing that birth rates in Russia have been increasing I decided to create a chart showing what’s happened since the late 1990&#8242;s. Even I was surprised by the extent and the rapidity of the convergence between Russian and American birth rates*:

http://blogs-images.forbes.com/markadomanis/f...

Now it is, of course, true that the United States’ demographic outlook remains much more positive than Russia’s, and I am not arguing otherwise. Russia really did experience a grievous demographic crisis during the 1990&#8242;s, a crisis that will have serious long-term negative consequences. The United States has, thankfully, not experienced either a mortality surge or a fertility plunge that are even remotely comparable to those experienced by Russia during its transition from communism.

However, all of that being said, I’m very surprised that more attention hasn’t been paid to the recession’s demographic costs and to the long-term impact this will have on the US economy. Indeed, if trends hold, Russia’s 2012 birth rate will actually exceed the United States’, a truly remarkable and noteworthy turnaround considering where things stood as recently as 2000. At an absolute minimum the fact that Russian and American birthrates are now roughly equal ought to seriously complicate the media narrative of a dying Russia and an all-conquering United States.

Location hidden

#102 Mar 5, 2013
Russia's Demographics Continue to Rapidly Improve
10/30/2012

http://www.forbes.com/sites/markadomanis/2012...

Between starting a new job and dealing with the apocalypse/hurricane that is still ravaging the Northeast, the past week has been just the slightest bit busy. While posting will continue to be on the light side as I get acclimated to my new surroundings, I did want to flag the latest demographic data from Rosstat because they show that Russia’s population trends are continuing to rapidly improve.

Based on what has happened through the first 9 months of 2012 Russia should achieve modest natural population growth in 2012, its first natural population growth since 1991. Encouragingly, external causes of mortality have continued to decline even faster than other causes: suicide, murder, and alcohol poisonings are down by 5%, 10%, and 18% respectively. Russia’s level of external mortality is still very high compared to developed Western countries, but the trends are all unambiguously positive and seem to indicate that, at a very basic level, the country is moving in the right direction. It’s particularly hard to square the media narrative of a country in existential crisis and despair with the positive changes of the past seven years.
http://blogs-images.forbes.com/markadomanis/f...
But while it would be a huge mistake to linearly project continued demographic improvement for Russia, it would be just as big a mistake to linearly project future demographic decline. Over the past seven years Russia’s demographics have consistently surpassed even the most optimistic and boosterish forecasts. I’ve said before but I’ll say again: if, back in 2005, you made a forecast that Russia would experience natural population growth in 2012, you’d have been relentlessly mocked and ridiculed.“Everyone knew” that Russia was a rotten carcass of a country and that it was only a matter of time until the whole country died-off and was replaced by the Chinese. This narrative is still the dominant one despite the fact that it’s no longer true (and arguably never was).

The point I’m trying to make is that reality is a lot more complicated and varied than a simple narrative of “Russia is dying off!” Indeed, since the onset of the financial crisis, Russia’s demographics have continued to improve while many of its former satellites in Central and Eastern Europe, force-fed a diet of austerity and budget cuts, have seen noticeable decreases in births and noticeable increases in emigration. Given the extent to which the Eurozone crisis is being exported to its new members in East Europe, I think this divergence will only become more glaring.

Location hidden

#103 Mar 5, 2013
Russia Nears a Milestone
December 5, 2012

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142412788...

"Cumulative natural growth was recorded from the start of the year for the first time in many years," Labor Minister Maxim Topilin said.So far, Russia's birth rate in 2012 has risen 7% rise on the year with an increase seen in 80 of the country's 83 regions. Meanwhile, Russia's death rate has fallen 1.5% in the same period, the ministry said. In all of 2011, Russia saw 132,000 more deaths than births, the state statistic service said.

The figures stand in contrast to predictions made by many demographic experts in recent years—including the United Nations Population Division—that Russia faces a serious demographic crisis, with the potential of seeing its population fall by as much as 30% by 2050. But those who have kept a close eye on the situation warn that despite the signs of a turnaround, Russia faces a long road ahead.
Russia is not alone in facing a population crisis. Many European countries, including Germany, Italy, Spain and Denmark have all experienced declining fertility rates in recent years, leading to similar concerns about long-term economic impact.

Ivan Tchakarov, chief economist for Renaissance Capital in Moscow, said that government policies appear to have had some impact and that "doomsday prophesies" about Russia's demographic future haven't been supported by official statistics that show the gap between the country's birth and death rates steadily closing over the past decade.

Location hidden

#104 Mar 5, 2013
SWG wrote:
<quoted text>
OK Skippy, show all of us YOUR facts and figures that prove his wrong then.........We are waiting.........
I just did.
All CURRENT and all from US news sources.
:)

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#105 Mar 5, 2013
Robespierre wrote:
<quoted text>
You first.

My approach is more ...

Tex Rogers

Calgary, Canada

#106 Mar 6, 2013
My, my, I hit a nerve . If it makes you feel better..., Although Russia will decrease population by 30%, Ukraine will decrease it population by 40%, over the next 40 years. There is no way around it,demographically, except for allowing more Islamics and Asians into Russia, which is happening now anyway. Moscow has 2 million Islamics officially and up to 3-4 million unofficially, many are seasonal employees. So that is fine with me . They do the work. Russia is now officially 17% non European,officially, but about 25%- 30 non european actually and unofficially, and growing exponentially. So the population of Russia may rise by that Islamic and Asian inflow.The Europeans are NOT replacing themselves, just like in the rest of Europe.

Location hidden

#107 Mar 6, 2013
Nothing new. Russia always had a high content of Islamics and Asians anyway.
Russia has a highest percentage of Muslims than any Western country: 20%. One fifth of the population.
Also, Russia is across two continents, and therefore has 2 major ethnic groups: Europeans and Asians.
There is nothing new there. I cannot see the problem.

But the population of Russia has been stabilised after the large post-communism exodus , and 2012 saw a record of births and the highest fertility rate for quite a long time.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Russia Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Russia's top 20 lies about Ukraine (Jun '14) 3 hr FILTHY RUSSIAN LIARS 4,833
News Japan trade minister says deals with Russia to ... 4 hr Russian Ainu 8
News Finger pointed at Russians in alleged coup plot... 10 hr PolakPotrafi 62
News For Russia, Trump presidency offers hope of san... 14 hr Stephany McDowell 1
News Russia bets on Trump as gateway to eased sanctions 18 hr Candy6779 2
News Russia warns Japan not to expect quick progress... Sun just a guy i knew 2
The horror of Russian healthcare Sun just a guy i knew 1
More from around the web