EU Commissioner to Boycott Winter Oly...

EU Commissioner to Boycott Winter Olympics

There are 54 comments on the EDGE story from Dec 10, 2013, titled EU Commissioner to Boycott Winter Olympics. In it, EDGE reports that:

European Union Commissioner for Justice, Citizenship and Fundamental Rights Viviane Reding announced on Tuesday that she will not attend the Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia in February because of the country's anti-gay law, Reuters reports.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at EDGE.

“In the cockles of weirdness”

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#22 Dec 15, 2013
just a guy i knew wrote:
French President Francois Hollande to shun Sochi games
Neither President Francois Hollande nor any top French official will attend the 2014 Winter Olympics in Russia
Sarkozy didn't attend the Winter Olympics in Vancouver in 2010.

The German President at the time, Horst Köhler, didn't attend either.

How many world leaders - and EU Commissioners - attended the 2010 Winter Olympics?
Can you think of any? lol

These people - Hollande, Gauck, etc - weren't going in the first place and are just using this as an excuse to vilify Russia.

Location hidden

#23 Dec 15, 2013
Oops, my bad. Horst Kohler did attend.

Winter Olympics Vancouver 2010
Dignitaries and other Officials in Attendance

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_Winter_Olym...

Presidents - Germany, Estonia, Georgia, Latvia, Switzerland,

PM's - Canada, Czech Republic, Turkey, Netherlands

VP Biden, Russian Deputy PM'sZhukov & Kozak, then-Governor Schwarzenegger of California, and lots of royals.

Location hidden

#24 Dec 15, 2013
I don't see any EU Commissioners or EU representatives listed at all.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#25 Dec 15, 2013
-sunshine wrote:
<quoted text>Sarkozy didn't attend the Winter Olympics in Vancouver in 2010.
The German President at the time, Horst Köhler, didn't attend either.
How many world leaders - and EU Commissioners - attended the 2010 Winter Olympics?
Can you think of any? lol
These people - Hollande, Gauck, etc - weren't going in the first place and are just using this as an excuse to vilify Russia.
Learn to distinguish between "Russia" and it's power-mad.

Location hidden

#26 Dec 15, 2013
snyper wrote:
<quoted text>
Learn to distinguish between "Russia" and it's power-mad.
There's a huge difference between the summer & winter olympics.

Why are all these people claiming they're 'boycotting' Sochi when it's 99.9% likely they weren't going to attend regardless of where it was held?

Location hidden

#27 Dec 15, 2013
Personally, I think those few 'world leaders' who MIGHT HAVE attended could be concerned about terrorist attacks but they don't want to say that so they're using the 'anti-gay law' as an excuse.

Location hidden

#28 Dec 15, 2013
-sunshine wrote:
Personally, I think those few 'world leaders' who MIGHT HAVE attended could be concerned about terrorist attacks but they don't want to say that so they're using the 'anti-gay law' as an excuse.
In Tibetan teaching, each virtue has it's "near-enemy", it's imitator. Both arise from the same core potential within the person, but as time passes they diverge and each is more learly seen for what it is.

Don't confuse cynicism and innuendo for insight and analysis.

Location hidden

#29 Dec 15, 2013
snyper wrote:
<quoted text>
In Tibetan teaching, each virtue has it's "near-enemy", it's imitator. Both arise from the same core potential within the person, but as time passes they diverge and each is more clearly seen for what it is.
Don't confuse cynicism and innuendo for insight and analysis.
Spare me your 'wisdom' Obi Wannabe.

You followed right along with the "world leaders are boycotting Sochi!" crap and didn't THINK to compare it with who went to the Vancouver games.

Now go be a smartass somewhere else.

BTW I fixed your spelling.

Location hidden

#30 Dec 15, 2013
Winter Olympics Italy 2006

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006_Winter_Olym...

Cherie Blair, Wife of then-British Prime Minister Tony Blair
Laura Bush, then-First Lady of the United States, and her daughter Barbara
Harald V and Queen Sonja, King and Queen of Norway
Horst Köhler, President of Germany
Kazimierz Marcinkiewicz, Prime Minister of Poland
Mitt Romney, Organizer of the 2002 Winter Olympics, and Governor of Massachusetts
Matti Vanhanen, Prime Minister of Finland
Gordon Campbell, Premier of British Columbia, host Canadian province of the 2010 Winter Olympics

Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi was absent.
= 1 king, 1 queen, 1 President, 2 Prime Ministers, 1 Canadian Premier (governor?) 1 US governor, 2 first ladies.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006_Winter_Olym...

Silvio Berlusconi, Prime Minister of Italy

Carl XVI Gustaf, King of Sweden, with son, Prince Carl Philip
Rudy Giuliani, former Mayor of New York City

Andrea Casiraghi, older son of the heir to the throne of Monaco, Caroline, Princess of Hanover
Tarja Halonen, President of Finland
Michaëlle Jean, Governor General of Canada with spouse Jean-Daniel Lafond and their daughter Marie-Éden.
Peter MacKay, Canadian Minister of Foreign Affairs
Gordon Campbell, Premier of British Columbia, the host province of the 2010 Winter Olympics

Location hidden

#31 Dec 16, 2013
-sunshine wrote:
<quoted text>Spare me your 'wisdom' Obi Wannabe.
You followed right along with the "world leaders are boycotting Sochi!" crap and didn't THINK to compare it with who went to the Vancouver games.
Now go be a smartass somewhere else.
BTW I fixed your spelling.
Thanks for catching my typo.

I'm sorry, but an EU Commissar hardly qualifies as a "world leader". lol

I agree that they were unlikely to attend anyway, but I wouldn't presume to post innuendo about their motivations. That would be "bearing false witness", as per the Mosaic code, and "spreading gossip" as per the Sauline code.

Russian are so deficient when it comes to such ethical distinctions.

Kissing cartoons just can't make up for a truly moral education, and training is self-insight.

(Hint: It isn't about rules, but about cultivating discernment.)

Location hidden

#33 Dec 16, 2013
snyper wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks for catching my typo.
I'm sorry, but an EU Commissar hardly qualifies as a "world leader". lol
I agree that they were unlikely to attend anyway, but I wouldn't presume to post innuendo about their motivations. That would be "bearing false witness", as per the Mosaic code, and "spreading gossip" as per the Sauline code.
I forgot what religion you are. Jews for Jesus or something, wasn't it?

I wasn't trying to post "innuendo", I was speculating about their motivations and trying to add a bit of reality into this bs.

The fact is, hardly any 'world leaders' attend the winter Olympics, so it seems dishonest to not mention that fact.

People are saying Hollande and Gauck are 'boycotting' Sochi but they never gave a reason, so that is an outright lie.
Isn't that 'bearing false witness' and 'spreading gossip'?

I wonder why they were asked if they were going? ;)

Why is the press making such a big deal over it? Especially since I can't find the last time a French President went to the winter Olympics. Not the last 2 anyway.
Do you think they already knew that when they asked Hollande? Would that be dishonest?

Location hidden

#34 Dec 16, 2013
snyper wrote:
<quoted text>
Russian are so deficient when it comes to such ethical distinctions.
Kissing cartoons just can't make up for a truly moral education, and training is self-insight.
(Hint: It isn't about rules, but about cultivating discernment.)
What do you know about Russians? Not the government but the people?

I would say Russians generally have very high ethical standards, higher than ours at least. Unfortunately you missed all the arguments about religion and you didn't get to see (Russian) hmmmm/zaolsie argue with the others on here. On the other hand, I do think he was exceptional.

Here's a reminder of how good gays had it here in the US not that long ago

I have pointed out to you that Russia has had very little time to adjust to the liberal west. You can't have everything you want overnight. I believe LiveFree already warned you that if you push too hard, they will only push back. That's what you're seeing now.

BTW is it ethical for gays to sneak pro-same sex marriage books into children's libraries?

Location hidden

#35 Dec 16, 2013
-sunshine wrote:
<quoted text>I forgot what religion you are. Jews for Jesus or something, wasn't it?
I wasn't trying to post "innuendo", I was speculating about their motivations and trying to add a bit of reality into this bs.
The fact is, hardly any 'world leaders' attend the winter Olympics, so it seems dishonest to not mention that fact.
People are saying Hollande and Gauck are 'boycotting' Sochi but they never gave a reason, so that is an outright lie.
Isn't that 'bearing false witness' and 'spreading gossip'?
I wonder why they were asked if they were going? ;)
Why is the press making such a big deal over it? Especially since I can't find the last time a French President went to the winter Olympics. Not the last 2 anyway.
Do you think they already knew that when they asked Hollande? Would that be dishonest?
Actually, no. My sect is not affiliated with the JfJ in any way.

We are ante-Nicene, ante-Cappadocian, ante-Alexandrian heresies, and never bought into Saul's apostasies. We are followers of Yeshua in the tradition of the Jerusalem community under James. We moved into the Galilee after the murder of James by the Temple Sadducees, Jerusalem Pharisees and a remnant of the followers of John the Baptist; and during the period just prior to the Roman first sack of Jerusalem. Migration eastward and south across the Jordan River, our number hid in Petra for a decade, then moved the community further south to the area that is Western Saudi Arabia. From there, over the next few generations, we spread Westward again and far to the North. We never assimilated in the "christendom" of Saul's gentile students and their followers, so we never re-absorbed any of the Phariseeism and manifestations of paganism that form the sub-structures and concepts of "christendom" down to this day. We have been among you, but never of you, living in quiet service to all that the builders would reject.

Perhaps your post only SOUNDS to the ear like cynicism and innuendo. You will have to decide the truth of that perception.

Your last questions are good ones, but I have no information with which to answer them. Do you? Were they merely rhetorical?

Questions, questions.

Location hidden

#36 Dec 16, 2013
-sunshine wrote:
<quoted text>What do you know about Russians? Not the government but the people?
I would say Russians generally have very high ethical standards, higher than ours at least. Unfortunately you missed all the arguments about religion and you didn't get to see (Russian) hmmmm/zaolsie argue with the others on here. On the other hand, I do think he was exceptional.
Here's a reminder of how good gays had it here in the US not that long ago
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =17u01_sWjREXX
I have pointed out to you that Russia has had very little time to adjust to the liberal west. You can't have everything you want overnight. I believe LiveFree already warned you that if you push too hard, they will only push back. That's what you're seeing now.
BTW is it ethical for gays to sneak pro-same sex marriage books into children's libraries?
I did not miss it. I read it after I got back from Azov.

Consider that.

Since: Oct 08

Location hidden

#37 Dec 18, 2013
President Obama Declines To Attend Sochi Winter Olympics

Neither President Barack Obama nor Vice President Joe Biden, nor their wives, will attend the upcoming 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia. The U.S. leaders are joining what is quickly becoming an elite group of non-attendees refusing to go to the games, presumably over Russia’s anti-gay laws that are making life increasingly dangerous for LGBT Russians.

http://thenewcivilrightsmovement.com/boycott-...

Since: Jun 13

Location hidden

#38 Dec 19, 2013
just a guy i knew wrote:
President Obama Declines To Attend Sochi Winter Olympics
Neither President Barack Obama nor Vice President Joe Biden, nor their wives, will attend the upcoming 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia. The U.S. leaders are joining what is quickly becoming an elite group of non-attendees refusing to go to the games, presumably over Russia’s anti-gay laws that are making life increasingly dangerous for LGBT Russians.
http://thenewcivilrightsmovement.com/boycott-...
I remember Obama's speech "the Russian anti-gay law affects me personally", so what is he gay?? Anyway who cares whether they attend or not, pretty soon Obama won't be attending the G8/G20 summits because USA won't even be in the top economies list.
approve

Toronto, Canada

#39 Dec 19, 2013
Prime Minister Stephen Harper won’t attend Winter Olympics in Sochi
http://games.postmedia.com/news/prime-ministe...

Location hidden

#40 Dec 19, 2013
Koraly wrote:
<quoted text>
I remember Obama's speech "the Russian anti-gay law affects me personally", so what is he gay?? Anyway who cares whether they attend or not, pretty soon Obama won't be attending the G8/G20 summits because USA won't even be in the top economies list.
Now that's really a silly statement.

Since: Oct 08

Location hidden

#41 Dec 19, 2013
Lithuanian President sees no possibility of visiting the Olympic Games in Sochi

http://www.unn.com.ua/en/news/1286354-prezide...

Since: Jan 14

Location hidden

#44 Jan 28, 2014
The things are getting harder... The idiocy has gone as far as queers existing in micro minority in this planet already dictate to normal people what they should say about poor likes of a mankind and what should everyone here think about pederasts! Yes, you ought now not only to say that there is nothing bad in being a pederast but you ought even to think that it is so! Since when I am not free to say that personally me stands AGAINST queers and queer forms of love? Why would I pretend that I respect those people? Indeed I hate even thinking that such people live among us! As well as hate it that people around me try to keep up appearances that pederasts among them are okay.

Boycott Games?? Because of queers?? Pfff.... What nonsense! Since when Olympics is about pederasts and their rights? I guess, hardly people play sports and compete to each other on Olympics with a purpose to show just how far their countries have gone in terms of sexual freedoms.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Russia Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News 20,000 protest in Ukraine's capital (Jan '14) 4 min uther pendragon 11,144
News Are Russians and Ukrainians the Same?By Serhii ... 1 hr Oliver Cromwell 182
News 'Putin's downfall': Here are 3 possible outcome... 10 hr Mr Slovak 4
News The View that Putin's Advisor Has on Obama's Uk... (Nov '14) 12 hr Ym clm 5,754
News Russian military plans buildup from West to Pac... 15 hr someone 5
News Russia's top 20 lies about Ukraine (Jun '14) 17 hr FILTHY RUSSIAN LIARS 4,355
News Court in Russia-annexed Crimea bans Tatar assembly Wed RUSSIAN WAR CRIMES 3
More from around the web