Russians And Stalin: 'What Is Not Positive In History, They Prefer To Forget'

Mar 3, 2013 Full story: Weekday Magazine 50

A poster with a portrait of Soviet dictator Josef Stalin is seen during a May Day rally in Volgograd.

Full Story
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Small Town America UGX

Mays Landing, NJ

#1 Mar 3, 2013
Many Russians ignore and deny the truth about Stalin, and "Invent" positive things about him. They do not look at the big picture of this part of their history because it is shameful. If they can only develop a sense of accepting facts and the truth, they would be better off for it. He caused more destruction to Russia in so many ways than Hitler ever did. And contuned to do so many years after the close of the war.
Russian Tsar

Crna Gora, Montenegro

#2 Mar 3, 2013
Small Town America UGX wrote:
Many Russians ignore and deny the truth about Stalin, and "Invent" positive things about him. They do not look at the big picture of this part of their history because it is shameful. If they can only develop a sense of accepting facts and the truth, they would be better off for it. He caused more destruction to Russia in so many ways than Hitler ever did. And contuned to do so many years after the close of the war.
Stalin is not Russian,he is Georgian!!!
Check in wikipedia.

And yes Stalin destroy Russia.
Marxist Totaliterian Pig.

SWG

Since: Feb 10

Houston, Texas

#3 Mar 3, 2013
To be honest. You can't blame the masses because of the actions of a few. The people, ordinary people, had no say in what was being done and could do nothing to stop it. By the time Stalin came to power the people of, what would soon become, the USSR had been beaten up, stepped on and put into such a life of fear that nothing could be done other than go along or disappear. They had no way of rising up or defending themselves. The same thing, to a lesser degree, is happening in the US right now. I didn't vote for Obama, you didn't, but yet we are stuck with him. His actions, although not as violent in nature, are very similar to Stalin's in that he is making sweeping decisions based off his own wants and needs not the people he serves. In the end he could end up doing MORE damage than Stalin ever dreamed possible because of the way the world is today on a global scale. Does he care what he does to the US or the rest of the world? Doubtful. Is there much that you or I can do about it? NO. It is the same situation the people of Russian/USSR were left in. The idea of communism, as it was presented to the people at the time, would have been great compared to what was going on. What they ended up with was far different than what they were told. Had they known what was to come no one ever would have gone along with it. By the time they figured out what was happening it was too late to do anything about it. As the old saying goes..."Power corrupts"! Doesn't matter what system you have that's the way it was, is and always will be.
dunadd

Greensboro, NC

#4 Mar 3, 2013
the montenegrin got this right. Yosip is definitely Georgian, destroyed Russia and is Marxist totalitarian pig. congratulations, montenegrin.
Small Town America UGX

Mays Landing, NJ

#5 Mar 3, 2013
Russian Tsar wrote:
<quoted text>Stalin is not Russian,he is Georgian!!!
Check in wikipedia.
And yes Stalin destroy Russia.
Marxist Totaliterian Pig.
Any half-intelligent and educated person knows thet Stalin was born in Georgia, WHICH WAS UNDER RUSSIAN domination and control. A province. That is academic. He is considered Russian in that context. He represented Russia as leader and ruler. Besides setting policy in all of the USSR, he did so in Russia as well. and resided and headquarted in Russia . The danger under Stalin is the same danger today currently under Putin. Totalitianism, Authoritarian and dictorship. All intertwined under the power, authority and influence of Putin. A one man rule. Unlike the soviet era of appointing one of their own to become the leader, Putin solely determines who will suceed him. It is at HIS pleasure, not a communist committee. Regardless of the corrupt voting and election process.
Small Town America UGX

Mays Landing, NJ

#6 Mar 3, 2013
SWG wrote:
<quoted text>
To be honest. You can't blame the masses because of the actions of a few. The people, ordinary people, had no say in what was being done and could do nothing to stop it. By the time Stalin came to power the people of, what would soon become, the USSR had been beaten up, stepped on and put into such a life of fear that nothing could be done other than go along or disappear. They had no way of rising up or defending themselves. The same thing, to a lesser degree, is happening in the US right now. I didn't vote for Obama, you didn't, but yet we are stuck with him. His actions, although not as violent in nature, are very similar to Stalin's in that he is making sweeping decisions based off his own wants and needs not the people he serves. In the end he could end up doing MORE damage than Stalin ever dreamed possible because of the way the world is today on a global scale. Does he care what he does to the US or the rest of the world? Doubtful. Is there much that you or I can do about it? NO. It is the same situation the people of Russian/USSR were left in. The idea of communism, as it was presented to the people at the time, would have been great compared to what was going on. What they ended up with was far different than what they were told. Had they known what was to come no one ever would have gone along with it. By the time they figured out what was happening it was too late to do anything about it. As the old saying goes..."Power corrupts"! Doesn't matter what system you have that's the way it was, is and always will be.
\

Smart people learn from the past and do not repeat it. It is apparent many did not learn these lessons in Russia. They repeated their past and it is now the current status, abeit with some differences, but not enought progress. At the periods you denote, Russia and it's neighbors were in a shambles. Dreaming of something better was a nature instinct. Today, however, there are better examples of wealth, freedom, opportunity, and a much better life than what is currently in Russia. Things that Russian people want, but are restricted from having because of the dictaorship and authoritarian mindset many have, as well as what they live under by Putin. It is now a modern world, but Russia's thinking is still in the fifties. But, it is my opinion, that the younger see this comparison and want more now. Only time will tell if they make it into the larger world community without being considered the enemy..

SWG

Houston, Texas

#7 Mar 3, 2013
<quoted text>\
Smart people learn from the past and do not repeat it. It is apparent many did not learn these lessons in Russia. They repeated their past and it is now the current status, abeit with some differences, but not enought progress. At the periods you denote, Russia and it's neighbors were in a shambles. Dreaming of something better was a nature instinct. Today, however, there are better examples of wealth, freedom, opportunity, and a much better life than what is currently in Russia. Things that Russian people want, but are restricted from having because of the dictaorship and authoritarian mindset many have, as well as what they live under by Putin. It is now a modern world, but Russia's thinking is still in the fifties. But, it is my opinion, that the younger see this comparison and want more now. Only time will tell if they make it into the larger world community without being considered the enemy..
STA,
It's not that simple. It's a mindset and from my experience, in Ukraine, not Russia, many people are use to being trampled on and go about their business. It is not easy to break a cycle. Look in our own country at the blacks in the ghetto's. What is their example? The drug dealer. Easy money, no real effort, with the exception of going to jail if caught. It's easier than studying, working hard and making your own way. Just like water, follows the path of least resistance. Is the same in Russia/Ukraine. The young can't go to college because, for the most part, you pay you go. Even if you graduate does not mean you get a job worth anything because in Ukraine AND Russia they are bringing in foreign experts and at a high pay scale. What are the young to do? They look and see who is making the money and possibly, I hope not, emulate it. Sad but true. It's not the people. It's the whole system! It is being changed, slowly. Once all the old ex-soviet people are dead and buried life can move on in a normal fashion. Takes time. Their kids are not different than ours. they want the same things and will work for them. The difference lies in the means to do it.
Small Town America UGX

Mays Landing, NJ

#8 Mar 3, 2013
SWG wrote:
<quoted text>
STA,
It's not that simple. It's a mindset and from my experience, in Ukraine, not Russia, many people are use to being trampled on and go about their business. It is not easy to break a cycle. Look in our own country at the blacks in the ghetto's. What is their example? The drug dealer. Easy money, no real effort, with the exception of going to jail if caught. It's easier than studying, working hard and making your own way. Just like water, follows the path of least resistance. Is the same in Russia/Ukraine. The young can't go to college because, for the most part, you pay you go. Even if you graduate does not mean you get a job worth anything because in Ukraine AND Russia they are bringing in foreign experts and at a high pay scale. What are the young to do? They look and see who is making the money and possibly, I hope not, emulate it. Sad but true. It's not the people. It's the whole system! It is being changed, slowly. Once all the old ex-soviet people are dead and buried life can move on in a normal fashion. Takes time. Their kids are not different than ours. they want the same things and will work for them. The difference lies in the means to do it.
Many Blacks in our country, especially in the ghetto's, are still in bondage in the Black seperatist mindset of not assimilating into the larger American culture. This is because many leaders in the Black communities wish to keep the races divided, because of politics and greed. It is not in their self-interest to have harmony between races. It is purely poor Black leadership.
Yes, in Russia, their rights, etc. have been trampled and their mindset becomes numb, and they just accept it as part of their life. But today things are different, and hopefully the youth of Russia will want change. Today, Russian youth are subjected to communication advantages and outlets to the world in general, unlike those days of the communist regimes, etc. And in spite of the current dictatorship of Putin, the internet, and other technical advances make it possible for these youth to be able to observe and experiance what the general life of the world community really has to offer, without complete Black-outs and propaganda to form their impressions and opinions.
And many of these anti-Putin demonstrations and protests indicate that many of their youth are aware of the larger world, and what the freedoms we have, and the opportunities they have to pursue a better quality of life. Granted, nothing is easy or simple, but these demonstrations are quite good indicators they have the spark and the torch is lit in this regard.
Small Town America UGX

Mays Landing, NJ

#9 Mar 3, 2013
In sum, mindsets can be changed due to the above I have noted. And I am aware it is a gradual process. But as also noted, the youth of Russia are changing in their mindset, and it is away from dictatorships and authoritarian ruled.

SWG

Houston, Texas

#10 Mar 3, 2013
<quoted text>
Many Blacks in our country, especially in the ghetto's, are still in bondage in the Black seperatist mindset of not assimilating into the larger American culture. This is because many leaders in the Black communities wish to keep the races divided, because of politics and greed. It is not in their self-interest to have harmony between races. It is purely poor Black leadership.
Yes, in Russia, their rights, etc. have been trampled and their mindset becomes numb, and they just accept it as part of their life. But today things are different, and hopefully the youth of Russia will want change. Today, Russian youth are subjected to communication advantages and outlets to the world in general, unlike those days of the communist regimes, etc. And in spite of the current dictatorship of Putin, the internet, and other technical advances make it possible for these youth to be able to observe and experiance what the general life of the world community really has to offer, without complete Black-outs and propaganda to form their impressions and opinions.
And many of these anti-Putin demonstrations and protests indicate that many of their youth are aware of the larger world, and what the freedoms we have, and the opportunities they have to pursue a better quality of life. Granted, nothing is easy or simple, but these demonstrations are quite good indicators they have the spark and the torch is lit in this regard.
STA,
Things are different ONLY as they sit from where they are. Not all have access as you and I do. TRUST ME, this I have seen for myself..))) The youth WILL make a difference but things don't happen overnight. I have heard several time from my wife and her family that they were comfortable under the Soviet system. Is understandable, to a degree. You go to work, you get "X". You do this you get "Y". Is simple. I also was told about the times when there was nothing on the shelves of the stores and how everyone inn the "country" had gardens and raised animals to live. I remember my wife saying, while she was at college, that she would go home to eat on weekends because she would get REAL food. THIS is not made up and my wife loves her country, as she should! She just is telling the truth! To ME, it's a sad state of affairs when you can't go to a store and buy bread. That was then and this is now. Things are different, yes BUT!!!! NOT that different! People in general, in Ukraine, make nothing and everything, by comparison, is sky-high in cost! Is actually stupid!
Small Town America UGX

Mays Landing, NJ

#11 Mar 3, 2013
SWG wrote:
<quoted text>
STA,
Things are different ONLY as they sit from where they are. Not all have access as you and I do. TRUST ME, this I have seen for myself..))) The youth WILL make a difference but things don't happen overnight. I have heard several time from my wife and her family that they were comfortable under the Soviet system. Is understandable, to a degree. You go to work, you get "X". You do this you get "Y". Is simple. I also was told about the times when there was nothing on the shelves of the stores and how everyone inn the "country" had gardens and raised animals to live. I remember my wife saying, while she was at college, that she would go home to eat on weekends because she would get REAL food. THIS is not made up and my wife loves her country, as she should! She just is telling the truth! To ME, it's a sad state of affairs when you can't go to a store and buy bread. That was then and this is now. Things are different, yes BUT!!!! NOT that different! People in general, in Ukraine, make nothing and everything, by comparison, is sky-high in cost! Is actually stupid!
I agree with you SWG, and I have noted several times already that change is a gradual thing. But I believe it will. But it will take time. However I am speaking of Russia.
You certainly have better knowledge of Ukraine than I do. But the whole things sucks when people do not have enough food. And this seems common throught the former soviet countries. Even Slovakis has an unemployment rate of 15 percent, and is now SUFFERING from want of basic farm produce. In Hungary, very high unenployement and a recession putting them deeply in the Red.
But in Ukraine, they have very good, rich fields for growing and producing foodstuffs. It was always considered a breadbasket. What has happened. Politics?

SWG

Houston, Texas

#12 Mar 3, 2013
<quoted text>
I agree with you SWG, and I have noted several times already that change is a gradual thing. But I believe it will. But it will take time. However I am speaking of Russia.
You certainly have better knowledge of Ukraine than I do. But the whole things sucks when people do not have enough food. And this seems common throught the former soviet countries. Even Slovakis has an unemployment rate of 15 percent, and is now SUFFERING from want of basic farm produce. In Hungary, very high unenployement and a recession putting them deeply in the Red.
But in Ukraine, they have very good, rich fields for growing and producing foodstuffs. It was always considered a breadbasket. What has happened. Politics?
Last time I was there...and this is from my own experience, many of the crops being sold in Ukraine are from Turkey and other places. Is really rather stupid but even here in the US much of what we get comes from outside sources even though we grow the same things! It's crazy!!! In Ukraine, many of the family farms (small) have been bought by foreign investors and left dormant for later development. Are some of these investors from the west? no doubt! Most are from Russia. Ukraine use to produce very good wines for what they are, not a wine drinker myself, but that has all but ended. Most of those fields have been bought up and left to be as they will. A point of fact that many Pro-Russians wont like is that all the skilled jobs in Russia are being done NOT by Russians but outside contractors. Most from the US but also the UK and Germany. From my experience the same can be said, if not more-so, in Ukraine. The people there with an education in that field are not stupid and know what they are doing, I have met several, so I don't understand why they don't get these jobs???? You are right...the young will make changes but only after the last of the old USSR are long gone. Old habits are hard to break.
Small Town America UGX

Mays Landing, NJ

#13 Mar 3, 2013
Russia is even importing cattle from your Texas, as well as contracted American Texas cowboys to help them in establishing good beef stock. Again, where are those Russians qualified in the agriculture field. The answer is simple. There are not many qualified. It is not appealing to some, who have no concept that such is extremely important and essential. A human needs food to live. LOL. The old soviet system has never been updated and the agriculture field is lacking, because no strong focus was given to it.
The Russians have only focused on the technical aspects of industry such as for military use, suprficial window dressing of it's larger cities by cosmetic upgrades, and in attempting to compete
with the USA. etc. Not a deep focus for the basic needs of it's citizens or the encouragement of small business, better infrastructure, health service, jobs in non-specilized business, etc.
And of course the mindset and practice of corruption permeates from the top to the bottom. It has become a way of life.

“In the cockles of weirdness”

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#14 Mar 3, 2013
‘What Is Not Positive In History, They Prefer To Forget’

Which could be said about ANY country.

“In the cockles of weirdness”

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#15 Mar 3, 2013
GEORGIAN Iosif Vissarionovich Dzhugashvili, not Russian "Stalin", the Russian word for "steel".
International

Russia

#16 Mar 4, 2013
Stalin was the greatest ruler of all that were in Russia. Thanks to him and to the Soviet people were stopped by the Nazis. He lifted the country out of the ruins and restored after the war. The time will come, and will come to power people like Stalin. And the return of Russia that we lost when even one that does not hurt

Since: Nov 09

Podolsk, Russia

#17 Mar 4, 2013
You clearly ignorent about Russian history.
The ecoomic growth of USSR was the fastest in the world.
Soviet ecomomy which was in ruins after the civil war had become the 2d economy in the world.
The ecomony had been reconstructed after the war very fast.
It was Stalin that had made USSR a nuclear power and had started Soviet space program, which turned out to be more successful than US space program.

How is it that Stalin did more damage than Hitler?
This statement is clearly idiotic.

Since: Nov 09

Podolsk, Russia

#19 Mar 4, 2013
Russia is even importing cattle from your Texas, as well as contracted American Texas cowboys to help them in establishing good beef stock. Again, where are those Russians qualified in the agriculture field. The answer is simple. There are not many qualified. It is not appealing to some, who have no concept that such is extremely important and essential. A human needs food to live. LOL. The old soviet system has never been updated and the agriculture field is lacking, because no strong focus was given to it.
The Russians have only focused on the technical aspects of industry such as for military use, suprficial window dressing of it's larger cities by cosmetic upgrades, and in attempting to compete
with the USA. etc. Not a deep focus for the basic needs of it's citizens or the encouragement of small business, better infrastructure, health service, jobs in non-specilized business, etc.
And of course the mindset and practice of corruption permeates from the top to the bottom. It has become a way of life.
Why don`t you compare the climate of Taxas and Russia cretin?
The climate in Moscow province is like that in southern Alaska.
How many cows do you raise in Alaska?
You are clearly idiotic.
Actaully it`s colder than in southern Alaska now.
Ankorige - 3, Moscow - 10.
International

Krasnodar, Russia

#20 Mar 4, 2013
and that Americans in general are aware of the history of Russia? nothing set of stamps
The nationalist

Mays Landing, NJ

#22 Mar 4, 2013
International wrote:
Stalin was the greatest ruler of all that were in Russia. Thanks to him and to the Soviet people were stopped by the Nazis. He lifted the country out of the ruins and restored after the war. The time will come, and will come to power people like Stalin. And the return of Russia that we lost when even one that does not hurt
Ah! communism still thrives in Russia. Quite a confused commie posting here. Well, I suppose you will lead another world commie revolution, huh. DUH! The world has changed since that despot croaked. So, I guess you have to start your revolution first in Russia. I am sure many Russians think differently.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Russia Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
20,000 protest in Ukraine's capital (Jan '14) 22 min t cls 4,300
Malaysian Airlines plane shot down over Ukraine... 27 min Lukashenko is Dr ... 1,783
Russia threatens response to sanctions 28 min cia agent 73
Russia's top 20 lies about Ukraine (Jun '14) 35 min Lukashenko is Dr ... 2,897
NATO's North Atlantic Council Condemns Russia's... (Mar '14) 40 min Lukashenko is Dr ... 11,398
Russia risks more isolation over Ukraine aggres... 1 hr foster 79
ya idu chtoby ubit vladimira putina 1 hr anonymous 1
More from around the web