Russian WWII vet recalls the Battle of Stalingrad

Feb 1, 2013 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Boston.com

The Soviet soldiers used their own bodies as shields, covering women and children escaping on ferry boats from a Nazi bombardment that killed 40,000 civilians in a single day.

Comments
21 - 40 of 459 Comments Last updated Feb 19, 2013

“Hope for Best- Expect Worst”

Since: Jan 07

Somewhere in Colorado

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2013

Judged:

Dimitri100 wrote:
The greatest battle in all humanity and the greatest army in all humanity were victorious.
Russia forever and ever, that's what I say.
AMEN!

Somewhere in Colorado

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2013

Judged:

Alexey25 wrote:
The West should be respocible for it`s crimes at Russia.
That`s why Russian people hate the West.
The West had been attacking Russia for centuries and now it tries to destroy Russia either.
Don`t trust to western people guys, I say.
The wonderful west should be ashamed for sitting on its hands for nearly four years while the homicidal, genocidal Germans murdered tens of millions of innocent people, for sure.

Somewhere in Colorado

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2013

Judged:

History Teacher wrote:
The Russians killed 50 million of their own people. I'd say they don't need the west to do the job.
Spoken by a German patting him/herself on their back.
History is full of peole murdering off other people.

And Germany has no right to be chastizing anyone. Nobody mechanized human beings into being used, abused, trotured raped, and run through an assembly line in death factories like the Germans. Since the days of the Teurtonic knights, who took over Prussia and then murdered off the Prussaians and then had the gall to take their name, Germans have been invaders, invading Russia twice.

Thank Gof for Russia for defeating the Germans in battle after battle and sgtopping the modern day germans from exterminating more people in order to steal their lands.

Stuff your idiocy. NObody is listening and just remember that Prussia is once again slavic and in good shape in Russian hands.
And Russians will always be there to defend against murderers who hope to steal their lands.

Thank YOU BRAVE RUSSIAN SOLDIERS, MILITARY, PEOPLE AND PARTIZANS INCLUDING THE 2,OOO WOMEN SNIPERS WHO SAVED RUSSIA FROM THE GENOCIDE OF THOSE HYPOCRITICAL GERMANS AND SAVING hUMANITY IN EASTERN eUROPE.

tHANKS TO THE USA. ALL THAT gERMANY HAS WAS HANDED TO THEM IN THE FORM OF BILLIONS UPON BILLIONS OF DOLLORS TO REBUILD THEM AFTER THEY WWERE REDUCED TO NOTHING.

RUSSIA PICKED ITSELF UP BY ITS OWN BOOTSTRAPS AND WHAT IT GOT IT DEVELOPED AND REBUILT BY ITSELF, AND PRODUCED THINGS THAT THE WONDERFUL WEST LOVES TO STEAL FROM THE GREAT RUSSIAN ARTISTRY TO MILITARY HARD WARE.

RUSSIA AND ITS PEOPLE FOREVER!

Somewhere in Colorado

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2013

Judged:

Dimitri100 wrote:
Historywanker talking bollocks, another racist, nazi, anglo saxon dumbass. Hehehehe.
AMEN!,

Somewhere in Colorado

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2013

Judged:

History Teacher wrote:
Russian Holocaust in 1933 - educate yourself. But i guess in the reality you are living in Russia is heaven on earth.
What Crappola are you spewing. Whatever would the world do without a german spewing their version of history.

I know all about the famine of 1933, and everhting behind it. In the first place it was not a HOLOCAUST. Even the world courst said it wasn't. But of course you know better. NOT!!!!!

Whatever happened in Russia from the genocide by the mongol horse invasion to the Nazi Holocaust, nobody, including the Germans has the right to exterminate entire races just because they wanted the Slavic lands. So your cheat shot at the Russians for their great defeat not only in Stalingrad but at Kurk/orel, is nothing more than Jealousy and sour grapes becaue of those big defeats including knowing that it was those Russians whom you called "untermenschen" defeated you soundly. And without the usA MOLLYCODDLING YOU AND SAVING YOU FROM YOUR JUST DESERTS FOR THE HOLOCAUST YOU PERPERTRATED ON TENS OF MILLIONS OF INNOCENT PEOPLE.

YOUr logic is senseless. With your logic I guess you would think that just because someone raped your daughter then it woulde be okay for you and your family to conintue raping her.

Somewhere in Colorado

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2013

Judged:

TheRealMagyar wrote:
Dimitri is not even Russian but a wanabee, he is a Jew from Britain
May the Russian soldiers and people rest in peace at Stalingrad. The German invaders and their entourage of genociders can all roast in hell for their bad deeds.

Somewhere in Colorado

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2013

Judged:

History Teacher wrote:
<quoted text>
A person named Dmitri insulting people he doesn't know. Can't complete a sentence without talking trash - yes even my dog is inferior to you. Still living in the soviet propaganda bubble little Dmitri?
YOU know nothng about Dimitri. He has a connection to Russia and he sees history clearly.

But we know what bubble you are still living under, the NAZI bubble. so you think your dog is better than people? YOu sound exactly like your German Nazi daddies and mommies, who put signs outside places in Kiev ukriane "Ukrainians and dogs not allowed."

Go share your dogs bone and slobbers with him and stop insulting people. You are the last one to be talking down to anyone.,

Thank you BRAVE RUSSIAN SOLDIERS, PEOPLE AND PARTIZANS FOR KICKING THE DESPICABLE GERMAN NAZI beasts out of Ukraine, Russia and eastern Europe. You will forever be remembered for saving humanity from the worst beasts on earth, the NaZi killers.

Somewhere in Colorado

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2013

Judged:

History Teacher wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you mentally disabled? Are you a fake russian too? Playing victimization whore, because you are from a nation nobody cares about like Dimitri? Read my post again, crasp the context, fail at it, troll again, have fun. Btw you have no idea about history you've proven it very nicely in this one dimwittet post.
You are failing badly. You are insulting people in hopes of making yourself look better. But Many people know in detail what you German NaZIs did in eastern Europe. And the Nazis were the worst killers and genociders in history.

MAny of us on the Russia forum know every detail about WWII so you have nothing to say.

In fact, go to the German Forum and whine along with your dellusional German compatriots. No one here is buying your garbage

Somewhere in Colorado

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2013

Judged:

Dimitri100 wrote:
<quoted text>.
If you condone what Germany did, you leave yourself open,
to be labelled A NAZI.
Dimitri: don't know who this yahoo from Saarbrucken is. He could even be STA in one of his many hundreds of disguises, spewing crappola on the internet.

Most Germans are pretty quiet on the subject, as they know what they did was very bad and they don't usually judge others whose histories might not be perfect either.

I would bet this guy isn't a german either, but one of the Ukes who supported Hitler's henchmen, and is always eager to push the famine of 1932-33 and to spew their biased hate-filled Russophobia on the Russia forum.

If he was on the up and up he would be registered with Topix and not hiding behind an anonymous moniker like he is afraid to reveal who he really is.(or she)
Oliver Cromwell

Blackpool, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2013

Judged:

Stefanya wrote:
<quoted text>
Dimitri: don't know who this yahoo from Saarbrucken is. He could even be STA in one of his many hundreds of disguises, spewing crappola on the internet.
Most Germans are pretty quiet on the subject, as they know what they did was very bad and they don't usually judge others whose histories might not be perfect either.
I would bet this guy isn't a german either, but one of the Ukes who supported Hitler's henchmen, and is always eager to push the famine of 1932-33 and to spew their biased hate-filled Russophobia on the Russia forum.
If he was on the up and up he would be registered with Topix and not hiding behind an anonymous moniker like he is afraid to reveal who he really is.(or she)
I love it when Nazi slime gets a kicking,they think they can re Write History but we are not buying it,i have some photos from what those animals did at Bergen Belsen my late father brought them back after he was with the British forces who liberated the Camp,what he saw as a twenty two year old stayed with him all his life so i for one am not taking any crap from any Nazi.

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2013

Judged:

Stefanya wrote:
<quoted text>

Yes I agree.

I was surprised myself to see a german here spouting his mouth off,
normally they are pretty quiet about their murdering forefathers.

Somewhere in Colorado

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2013

Judged:

Oliver Cromwell wrote:
<quoted text>
I love it when Nazi slime gets a kicking,they think they can re Write History but we are not buying it,i have some photos from what those animals did at Bergen Belsen my late father brought them back after he was with the British forces who liberated the Camp,what he saw as a twenty two year old stayed with him all his life so i for one am not taking any crap from any Nazi.
Agreed! I don't take any of their crappola either. I think most people from Eastern Europe lived through what people today, only read in books. Some would like to sweep the era of the Nazis under the rug and sanitize it but there are too many people who will not let them do it.

Besides what my family suffered in WWII under the NAZIs, even just hearing it is enough to stick in ones mind forever.

Also I spoke with an American medic who came home to Colorado for a reunion and he helped to treat some of the people who survived the NAZI homicidal, genocidal maniacs. He too has never forgotten it. There is far to much evidence to ever obliterate what they did.
tarmo

Tallinn, Estonia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 9, 2013

Judged:

Oliver Cromwell wrote:
<quoted text>
This thread is about the Heroes of the Battle of Stalingrad some of you people never miss the chance to insult their memory.
These two issues are actually related.
Soviets used the tried and true tactics of a two-layered front - politically less reliable troops were sent to the frontline, while politically more reliable troops sat behind the first layer and shot down anyone who fled from the frontline.

The illegally conscripted estonians in the Red Army suffered that fate in the Velikie Luki battle.

So it is not even clear who killed more soviet soldiers in Stalingrad - nazis or soviets.

“Trust no one in politics.”

Since: Apr 08

Pompano Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 9, 2013

Judged:

tarmo wrote:
<quoted text>
These two issues are actually related.
Soviets used the tried and true tactics of a two-layered front - politically less reliable troops were sent to the frontline, while politically more reliable troops sat behind the first layer and shot down anyone who fled from the frontline.

The illegally conscripted estonians in the Red Army suffered that fate in the Velikie Luki battle.

So it is not even clear who killed more soviet soldiers in Stalingrad - nazis or soviets.
You constantly brag about the Estonian troops being quislings ready to swap nazi for Soviet uniforms at a moment's notice depending on who is winning. Is it not wise to watch such soldiers closely when they go into battle?
hmmm

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 9, 2013

tarmo wrote:
<quoted text>
So it is not even clear to the muddle-brained who killed more soviet soldiers in Stalingrad - nazis or soviets.
Muddle-brained. LOL

You actually believe such nonsense?
Oliver Cromwell

Poulton, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 9, 2013

Judged:

hmmm wrote:
<quoted text>
Muddle-brained. LOL
He doesn't believe it he is just being stupid.
Oliver Cromwell

Poulton, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 9, 2013

Stefanya wrote:
<quoted text>
Agreed! I don't take any of their crappola either. I think most people from Eastern Europe lived through what people today, only read in books. Some would like to sweep the era of the Nazis under the rug and sanitize it but there are too many people who will not let them do it.
Besides what my family suffered in WWII under the NAZIs, even just hearing it is enough to stick in ones mind forever.
Also I spoke with an American medic who came home to Colorado for a reunion and he helped to treat some of the people who survived the NAZI homicidal, genocidal maniacs. He too has never forgotten it. There is far to much evidence to ever obliterate what they did.
Indeed Stefanya people who went through that time will never forget it as you say some of your Family suffered under them,they had no Humanity how could they have when we think of the crimes,i always remember something my Dad said to me when i asked him about his wartime experience,the one thing that sticks in my mind was when he said as much as twenty years after the war he would wake up sometimes and could smell Belsen,they found thousands of dead and dying prisoners,the photos i have include some of the SS guards and Kramer the Camp Kommandant,we made them clear the bodies up then the camp was destroyed by Soldiers using flame throwers.
tarmo

Tallinn, Estonia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 9, 2013

hmmm wrote:
<quoted text>
Could you be more specific?
The two-layered front? Or the "who killed more"?
tarmo

Tallinn, Estonia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 9, 2013

uther pendragon wrote:
<quoted text>
You constantly brag about the Estonian troops being quislings ready to swap nazi for Soviet uniforms at a moment's notice depending on who is winning.
You constantly lie.
uther pendragon wrote:
<quoted text>
Is it not wise to watch such soldiers closely when they go into battle?
No. It is wise to read international treaties on war and occupation, regarding conscription from among occupied population.

And the point is not about estonians. Not even about illegal conscripts. It is about the unbelievably stupid attack commands from the soviet chain of command, sending their soldiers pointlessly into certain death, while ensuring the command with second-layer executionary watchmen.

Soviets lost twice as many than germans in the Stalingrad battle.
It was a Pyrrhic victory for the soviets, but then again, Pyrrhic victories are exactly how the Red Army was meant to operate, because the USSR could afford Pyrrhic victories. On the other hand, 2:1 ratio was actually quite good when compared to many other battles. It could even be called as a proportional tie. And a victory in initiative.
hmmm

Saint Petersburg, Russia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 9, 2013

tarmo wrote:
<quoted text>
Could you be more specific?
The two-layered front? Or the "who killed more"?
although I don't know who is using my nick with US ISP and I incidentally noticed it today (not being here for long time), but as I see ,tarmo< that you asked a person with my nick - may I unswer you instead?- two-layerd front common practice everywhere - called field Jandarmerie in Wermaht, military police in US army - read Hemingway "Farewell to Arms" - the novel starts with the episode of main hero being put to execution by this kind of "second layer" in Italian army, but mnaged to escape...There is statistics about how many areested by NKVD for leaving front line - how many were executed - absolute majority were simply send back to the front, some to shtrafbat - very few executed - that was usual practice those days - same wasin Wehrmacht...as for who killed more - my previous answer explained it all...By the way - as per capita - who exterminated more Jews,- Balts or Germans?- as PER CAPITA, tarmo - just asking...

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Russia Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
NATO's North Atlantic Council Condemns Russia's... 7 min Joisey Abe 7,784
Un Ambassador Samantha Power Warns Russia: 'the... 8 min Putinko 1
Russian military troops 'deployed to Ukraine', ... 20 min Ethan Allen 4
US the most hated country on earth (May '11) 25 min PROUD TO BE SERB 19,297
Is Vladimir Putin Another Adolf Hitler? 38 min Hue 878
Russia's top 20 lies about Ukraine 1 hr Dimitri100 1,942
Malaysia Airlines flight MH17 shot down over Uk... 1 hr Ibnallaah 1,076
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••