BoricuaDePuraSep a

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 1, 2013

It has been over 2 years since I have posted on here and have been to the island 3 times since. I have seen a lot going on in business and spoke to a lot of friends and family. Many thought the out going government really hurt the economy, but many understood that the economy was getting better especially being in the dumps for over 8 years under the PPD. Puerto Rico is an oxymoron case; many voted to change the current political status, but voted in the very party that ran the economy into the ground under Calderon and Acevedo! What is the lesson here? That Puerto Rico rather have a spending and wasteful government programs and living on money they do not have. If the in-coming government goes back to policies that took the island into bankruptcy then Puerto Rico needs to stay as a territory or go at it on its own. The U.S. political scene does not need another State that loves to spend and give the Feds an excuse of liberal, far-left wasteful spending. Puerto Rico is full of Democrats and it would tip the political scale in national elections for many years. Sorry, Puerto Rico a State never! I just can't see that happening for a very, very, very long time.

Since: Oct 12

West Islip, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2013

If you think Puerto Rico would be a solid blue Democrat state then you know nothing of Puerto Rico.

The Republican candidate came within 1% of winning re-election ... that better than Mitt Romney did. That's much better than Carl Paladino did against Andrew Cuomo here in New York's 2010 gubernatorial election. In fact, Fortuno lost because he alienated the PNP's Democrat fraction.

Furthermore most Puerto Rican Democrats are generally more socially conservative then their national counterparts, for example Garcia Padilla is on record as opposing gay marriage ... something that would be unthinkable for a Demcoratic governor to say in the upper 48.

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2013

In my many years living in Puerto Rico and seeing with my very own eyes how people vote in Puerto Rico and they vote for someone that will give them something and to spite a politician or party. There are many reasons why the governor did not win, but let me expand on one point. Puerto Ricans for the last 30 years have voted for something and not for ideology like in the past. In 1967 Luis Ferrer won because the PPD had a slip in votes. They won the Fortaleza when they again united even after Ferrer a Republican governor push to get some welfare programs brought to the island with the help from Nixon, pushed companies to start a small Christmas bonuses for its employees and inaugurated the first toll highway. Since then the voters have voted in and out administrations that will promise jobs, spending and government programs. One issue that I do agree with you islander, many PNP members were angry with the governor, especially many of the police force that blame him for not getting their over-time pay. Lastly, I have come to the conclusion that Puerto Rico would vote the way of the Democrats on the national level. The majority of the islanders believe that government is the answer to all ills and that it has the answer to everything and that is in line with the current leaning of the national scene.

Since: Oct 12

West Islip, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2013

MataConHachaCR wrote:
In my many years living in Puerto Rico and seeing with my very own eyes how people vote in Puerto Rico and they vote for someone that will give them something and to spite a politician or party. There are many reasons why the governor did not win, but let me expand on one point. Puerto Ricans for the last 30 years have voted for something and not for ideology like in the past. In 1967 Luis Ferrer won because the PPD had a slip in votes. They won the Fortaleza when they again united even after Ferrer a Republican governor push to get some welfare programs brought to the island with the help from Nixon, pushed companies to start a small Christmas bonuses for its employees and inaugurated the first toll highway. Since then the voters have voted in and out administrations that will promise jobs, spending and government programs. One issue that I do agree with you islander, many PNP members were angry with the governor, especially many of the police force that blame him for not getting their over-time pay. Lastly, I have come to the conclusion that Puerto Rico would vote the way of the Democrats on the national level. The majority of the islanders believe that government is the answer to all ills and that it has the answer to everything and that is in line with the current leaning of the national scene.
I agree, it's a trend and I don't see it reversing until the Republicans become more sane and drop the "bible thumper" agenda (the national Republicans would love Jorge Raschke!).

Fortuno pissed off too many people. The PNP will remember his errors and run a big government nanny state Democrat in 2016. I bet they run Pierluisi for governor.

To be honest the gubernatorial race was alot closer than I expected. He did pretty darn good considering all his actions.
I swear

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2013

So I guess that means no???

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

29 Users are viewing the Puerto Rico Forum right now

Search the Puerto Rico Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Puerto Rico's statehood movement is a civil rig... 5 min Freakin Rican 23
I am so ashamed of myself! 5 min Allan 4
A century after becoming US citizens, PRico wil... 18 min EL Caccique 11
Warning if you do not see "FORT LAUDERDALE" as ... 19 min Allan 9
Was Dave banned once again? 26 min EL Caccique 21
Obam lambasts Republicans 32 min Freakin Rican 2
As long as Stateside Ricans criticize Puerto Ri... 59 min Freakin Rican 6
•••
•••