TPMP

Bronx, NY

#2 Jan 25, 2013
They should just all retire anyway.

Ithier no es facil. Never has been.
Pito Paris

New York, NY

#3 Jan 29, 2013
I Say If This Is The Way It Went Down It Is Crazy Cause I Thought They Were More Than Just Band Members To One Another::: Guess Not
TPMP

Greenwich, CT

#4 Jan 29, 2013
Pito Paris wrote:
I Say If This Is The Way It Went Down It Is Crazy Cause I Thought They Were More Than Just Band Members To One Another::: Guess Not
So did i. So did pretty much all of us.

I believe this was a standard legal maneuver. Simple as that.

Hopefully, some reconciliation or resolution will take place at some point between them.

It really f*cked up. These guys were life long friends. The was a orchestra representing the island from the time of our grandparents.

They are practically a national symbol representing PR.

Times like this. I almost wish Kobbo's program would come back to give us the lowdown.
to make dave happy

San Juan, Puerto Rico

#5 Jan 29, 2013
TPMP wrote:
<quoted text>So did i. So did pretty much all of us.
I believe this was a standard legal maneuver. Simple as that.
Hopefully, some reconciliation or resolution will take place at some point between them.
It really f*cked up. These guys were life long friends. The was a orchestra representing the island from the time of our grandparents.
They are practically a national symbol representing PR.
Times like this. I almost wish Kobbo's program would come back to give us the lowdown.
They are a national symbol, they are considered the best group in the island, if you mention the "gran combo" is coming that means is class and you have money. It is sad they way the got rid of him, now they are saying in the news that they didnt fired him. Its just about the money he can be there anymore they kicked him of like nothing that is cold and sad, sin homenaje ni nada. Pero no te apures que cuando Ithier se muera asi pasara sin pena ni gloria como han pasado los artistas negros de PR como Carmen Belen Richardson y Ruth Fernandez.
TPMP

Yonkers, NY

#6 Jan 29, 2013
to make dave happy wrote:
<quoted text>
They are a national symbol, they are considered the best group in the island, if you mention the "gran combo" is coming that means is class and you have money. It is sad they way the got rid of him, now they are saying in the news that they didnt fired him. Its just about the money he can be there anymore they kicked him of like nothing that is cold and sad, sin homenaje ni nada. Pero no te apures que cuando Ithier se muera asi pasara sin pena ni gloria como han pasado los artistas negros de PR como Carmen Belen Richardson y Ruth Fernandez.
Honestly...When Ithier is gone. I don't think that group will survive. He is the glue.

The magic will be gone.

==========

I would like to see a prestigious building in PR named in honor of on of some of PR black musicians and composers.( Not just schools)

It is high time.

When people think of the island. What do they think of?.

Curet Alonso, Cortijo etc..
They almost named the center of Bellas Artes after Cortijo some years back.

Pero, unos blanquitos protestaron.
TPMP

Yonkers, NY

#7 Jan 29, 2013
It is just as much a class issue.

The two are intermingled.
TPMP

Yonkers, NY

#8 Jan 29, 2013
Or rather indicative of one's social strata (By preconceived ideas and notions of what is true class)

That is a more appropriate term.
TPMP

Yonkers, NY

#9 Jan 29, 2013
For old times sake.

"Julia"

Love this song. Way before my time. But, still love it. LOL!
TPMP

New York, NY

#10 Jan 30, 2013
Inthier's version for whatever it's worth.

http://www.vocero.com/la-bala-hiere-el-corazo...
TPMP

Bronx, NY

#11 Jan 30, 2013
TPMP wrote:
Inthier's version for whatever it's worth.
http://www.vocero.com/la-bala-hiere-el-corazo...
I don't believe him.

He should have personally went to his friend and music partner of 50 odd years first, before the legal consulatants ate his mind up.

TRAICIONERO!!!
Jorge

San Juan, Puerto Rico

#12 Feb 19, 2013
TPMP wrote:
<quoted text>I don't believe him.
He should have personally went to his friend and music partner of 50 odd years first, before the legal consulatants ate his mind up.
TRAICIONERO!!!
You, calling anyone a "traicionero"?

LOL

Get serious!

You hate being PC here with strangers here in Topix.
TPMP wrote:
<quoted text>So do i.
Just be yourself and don't conform to PC behavior.
PR Barbie

Bayamon, Puerto Rico

#13 Apr 26, 2013
A Ithier se le fue el avion! Like boricuas say in the island. 50 years of fidelity deserves more than just a legal letter. He had his leg amputated on the europe tour and thats how they repay La Bala?!

Wow! Hermandad means nothing to the greedy Ithier.

I really hope he wins bc an amputation has nothing to do with his lungs and he did play for a show in Jan
El cacique

New York, NY

#14 May 1, 2013
I have already made know privately to those that i wish that i have some personal things going on that will be taking up even more of my time and i will not be some posting as much for the forsseable next couple of months.

Those whom i wanted to know..... Already know.

With that being said...... I will continue stop in "every now and then" to post on things that i actually enjoy IF i have the time and WHEN i'm in the mood to do so without getting caught up in the BS that seems to be a requisite part of this place.

So...For today...I just want to post about the financial settlement offer that was allegedly offerd to Eddie La Bala Ortiz of the Gran Combo.

He has wisely denied the any offer was presented to him.

However, it was only a measly pittnce of $200,000 grand and $5,000 a month for personal exopenses.

That is a pittance. He was with the band for over 50 years.

Hopefully, he has ,indeed, REJECTED the measly offer.

That pitiful amount is peanuts and an insult for a liftime of dedication and hard work that he peformed in behalf of the legendary group

http://www.vocero.com/la-bala-desmiente-ofert...

==========

May God bless everyone
El cacique

Bronx, NY

#15 May 1, 2013
Correction:

I have already made know privately to those whom i wish that i have some personal things going on that will be taking up even more of my time and i will not be some posting as much for the forsseable next couple of months.

Those whom i wanted to be privy to this.. Already know.

With that being said...... I will continue stop in "every now and then" to post on things that i actually enjoy IF i have the time and WHEN i'm in the mood to do so without getting caught up in the BS that seems to be a requisite part of posting of this place.

So...For today...I just want to post about the financial settlement offer that was allegedly offered to Eddie La Bala Ortiz of the Gran Combo.

He has wisely denied any offer that allegedly presented to him.

He has stated that there was no official offer.

However, if there was. The reports say was it was only a measly pittance of $200,000 grand and a $5,000 a month for personal expenses.

That is a pittance. He was with the band for over 50 years.

Hopefully, he has ,indeed, REJECTED the measly offer.

That pitiful amount is peanuts and an insult for a liftime of dedication and hard work that he peformed in behalf of the legendary group

http://www.vocero.com/la-bala-desmiente-ofert ...

==========

May God bless everyone
to make dave happy

Humacao, Puerto Rico

#16 May 12, 2013
TPMP wrote:
<quoted text>
Honestly...When Ithier is gone. I don't think that group will survive. He is the glue.
The magic will be gone.
==========
I would like to see a prestigious building in PR named in honor of on of some of PR black musicians and composers.( Not just schools)
It is high time.
When people think of the island. What do they think of?.
Curet Alonso, Cortijo etc..
They almost named the center of Bellas Artes after Cortijo some years back.
Pero, unos blanquitos protestaron.
Pues mira yo creo que el grupo sobrevivira ya ithier no toca solo dirige aqui y alla. Es una pena lo que le hicieron a este seņor puedieron haber tomado uno de los conciertos y dedicarlos exclusivamente a despedirlo, no ha sacarlo de esa manera, ahora estan en demandas y todo eso por mas calladito que han querido mantenerlo.

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#17 May 13, 2013
<quoted text>
Pues mira yo creo que el grupo sobrevivira ya ithier no toca solo dirige aqui y alla. Es una pena lo que le hicieron a este seņor puedieron haber tomado uno de los conciertos y dedicarlos exclusivamente a despedirlo, no ha sacarlo de esa manera, ahora estan en demandas y todo eso por mas calladito que han querido mantenerlo.
Perhaps, they will, but, it still won't be the same.

They could have opted to do a myriad of things that would have not brought things to this level.

For starters. They could have offered him a decent package.

No, but they let the attorneys take care of it and look where things are now.

I hope Eddie sticks to his guns and plays hardball.

He lost a leg?...So, why cant they think outside the box and make special accomodations for him and still let him play. Who says that you have to stand to play the instrument that he plays?...Why can't they ,at least, do that for him?. He has been with the group for so long already.

Other than his leg. He looks fine to me. Perhaps, he has other pressing medical issues going on. I believe he has diabetes. But, he should still be able to work with diabetes. Providing that he closely monitors it.

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#18 May 13, 2013
<quoted text>
I don't know whether listening to the Combo indicates that one has class or money.

After all.....They are a group that belongs to the common man on the street in PR. That is an "integral" part of their image. All of their lyrics essentially revolve around the common man.

But, they have been demanding the top prices to play outside of PR for years.

Way back when merengue bands were charging $1,000 bucks. El gran Combo was charging anywhere between $10-15 grand for just a couple ouf sets. Imaginate now?

I remember going back 20 years, the first time i saw them was at a concert in NY.

The admission was 60 bucks each. And that wasn't even the best seats. They were the only ones i could get because i bought them so late.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Puerto Rico Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Jehovah's Witnesses in Puerto Rico 1 hr La Femme Accident 72
80% of stateside Puerto Ricans speak English at... (Jan '14) 1 hr NorCal Native 1,018
Mayor Elect Bill Deblasio decides that he wants... (Dec '13) 4 hr allan 674
Dedicate a Song (Dec '09) 11 hr GodSmacked 2,093
Island born Puerto Ricans can have dual citizen... (Jun '11) 23 hr Jugadero1 169
George Zimmerman VS Trayvon Martin...Who had a ... (Jul '13) Thu allan 165
Living in PR: An American perspective Thu allan 11
More from around the web