The Honorable Sonia Sotomayor in her memoir.

Posted in the Puerto Rico Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
HairyGuy

Anaheim, CA

#1 Jan 19, 2013
The Supreme Court Judge the Honorable Sonia Sotomayor has release in hardback her memoirs.

"Yours is the life that I breathe,
my inspiration is yours,
yours is my thought,
yours all feeling
that blooms in my heart."

--Excerpt from Jose Gautier Benítez's poem
"To Puerto Rico (I Return)," quoted by Sonia Sotomayor in her memoir.

----------
http://www.cnn.com/2013/01/14/living/sotomayo...

http://www.latimes.com/features/books/jacketc...

http://www.npr.org/2013/01/14/169157494/of-th...
HairyGuy

Anaheim, CA

#2 Feb 17, 2013
This is an excellent read about an amazing person.

Her life's journey is the focus of the book up until the Supreme Court.

She covers many of the political issues on the PR forum topic list regarding Island and Stateside as related to Puerto Rico & it's people/descendents.

It's worth the purchase or trip to your local library.

Honorable Judge Sotomayor has made us proud.
Jorge

San Juan, Puerto Rico

#3 Feb 17, 2013
HairyGuy wrote:
This is an excellent read about an amazing person.
Her life's journey is the focus of the book up until the Supreme Court.
She covers many of the political issues on the PR forum topic list regarding Island and Stateside as related to Puerto Rico & it's people/descendents.
It's worth the purchase or trip to your local library.
Honorable Judge Sotomayor has made us proud.
We'll have to read on Justice Sotomayor's position on island politics.

Thanks a bunch!

Since: Oct 12

West Islip, NY

#4 Feb 17, 2013
Sonia Sotomayor has stated that in her youth she believed in independence but as she went through college and rose through the Federal judiciary that she has adopted a more pro-statehood view. In particular she has mentioned the Federal judge she served as clerk for - Jose Cabranes - as changing her views on status.
www.puertoricoreport.org/justice-sotomayors-p...

Id like to check out her book though.
Jorge

San Juan, Puerto Rico

#5 Feb 17, 2013
LongIslander1987 wrote:
Sonia Sotomayor has stated that in her youth she believed in independence but as she went through college and rose through the Federal judiciary that she has adopted a more pro-statehood view. In particular she has mentioned the Federal judge she served as clerk for - Jose Cabranes - as changing her views on status.
If that's so, she has been a consistent anti colony.
TPMP

New York, NY

#6 Feb 17, 2013
LongIslander1987 wrote:
This progression is a natural part of the political evolutionary process. I have seen it amongst many PR statesiders.

Let us not forget her work with the Puerto Rican Legal defense fund. There are a lot independista and commonwealth supporters there.

Sh is not newbie to the community. Maybe for people out in Lala land in California she is.

I ,too, will read her book. She had a singing her in Union square.
TPMP

New York, NY

#7 Feb 17, 2013
Correction: She is not a newbie to the community.

==========

signing, here

Since: Oct 12

West Islip, NY

#8 Feb 17, 2013
TPMP wrote:
<quoted text>This progression is a natural part of the political evolutionary process. I have seen it amongst many PR statesiders.
Let us not forget her work with the Puerto Rican Legal defense fund. There are a lot independista and commonwealth supporters there.
Sh is not newbie to the community. Maybe for people out in Lala land in California she is.
Ive noticed this independence -> statehood or commonwealth -> statehood evolution myself in many Puerto Ricans.

That being said I have also met many statehood supporters who probably came out of the womb a diehard statehooder
TPMP

New York, NY

#9 Feb 17, 2013
LongIslander1987 wrote:
<quoted text>
Ive noticed this independence -> statehood or commonwealth -> statehood evolution myself in many Puerto Ricans.
That being said I have also met many statehood supporters who probably came out of the womb a diehard statehooder
"That being said I have also met many statehood supporters who probably came out of the womb a diehard statehooder"

(unquote)

That had me in stitches. On point and true.
Jorge

San Juan, Puerto Rico

#10 Feb 17, 2013
TPMP wrote:
<quoted text>This progression is a natural part of the political evolutionary process. I have seen it amongst many PR statesiders.
Then why do you have to insult HG when you'll wind up agreeing and participating in his thread?
TPMP wrote:
<quoted text>And you're a kiss-azz instigator who has no idea of what the hell is going on.
Just your own agenda.
Viejo baboso!
There is nothing even remotely peaceful about you.
ISA

London, Canada

#11 Mar 21, 2013
HairyGuy wrote:
The Supreme Court Judge the Honorable Sonia Sotomayor has release in hardback her memoirs.
"Yours is the life that I breathe,
my inspiration is yours,
yours is my thought,
yours all feeling
that blooms in my heart."
--Excerpt from Jose Gautier Benítez's poem
"To Puerto Rico (I Return)," quoted by Sonia Sotomayor in her memoir.
----------
http://www.cnn.com/2013/01/14/living/sotomayo...
http://www.latimes.com/features/books/jacketc...
http://www.npr.org/2013/01/14/169157494/of-th...
she comes from a lovely family,,,,her mother, a R.N. worked hard and the results are astonishing....Chief Justice,S. Sotomayor and her brother is a Medical Doctor....what a brilliant family representing us...THANKS for telling me about her memoirs...ISA
TPMP

Greenwich, CT

#12 Mar 21, 2013
ISA wrote:
<quoted text>
she comes from a lovely family,,,,her mother, a R.N. worked hard and the results are astonishing....Chief Justice,S. Sotomayor and her brother is a Medical Doctor....what a brilliant family representing us...THANKS for telling me about her memoirs...ISA
We are ALL proud of Justice Sotomayor.

But, that comment came off slightly comem*erda.

Anyone can hail from a family of professionals. Many of us do.

That is only part of the formula. And many times it doesn't mean a hill of beans.

A judge or a doctor can still produce a bum.

While a cleaning woman can still produce a Nobel prize winner. winner. And there is every variation in between.

She did it through hard work and she had good fortune.
Jorge

San Juan, Puerto Rico

#13 Mar 21, 2013
TPMP wrote:
<quoted text>...
But, that comment came off slightly comem*erda...
Stop mistreating Isa, TPMP!

She's a lady!

Nobody likes you, TPMP!
Gitano

Miami, FL

#14 Mar 22, 2013
Jorge wrote:
<quoted text>
Stop mistreating Isa, TPMP!
She's a lady!
Nobody likes you, TPMP!
I like him .
Gitano

Miami, FL

#15 Mar 22, 2013
TPMP wrote:
<quoted text>
That is only part of the formula. And many times it doesn't mean a hill of beans.
While a cleaning woman can still produce a Nobel prize winner. winner. And there is every variation in between.
Kudos to you ,a brilliant comment.

The enemies of people like Sotomayor who stands up for everyone are the enemy of us all.

"Marco Rubio Takes a Swipe at Sonia Sotomayor"

Wing-nut Cuban-American criticizes first Hispanic Supreme Court justice.

The former Florida House speaker was probably the first Hispanic to take a swipe at new Supreme Court nominee Sonia Sotomayor. The Cuban-American from Miami, who's running in the Republican primary against Charlie Crist for U.S. Senate

http://www.miaminewtimes.com/2009-05-28/news/...

# I disagree with the author when he calls Marco Rubio a Cuban American, Rubio es puro mentiroso, hipocrita Miami Cubano.

The picture of Rubio is classic and truly represents his Miami Cuban voting block.
Gitano

Miami, FL

#16 Mar 22, 2013
ISA wrote:
<quoted text>
"Justice Sotomayor prefers "Sonia from the Bronx" - An Afghan Perspective - 60 Minutes on CBS"

In this new Afghan Perspective video, Feresteh Forough talks about one of CBS' 60 minutes documentary she saw about Sonia Sotomayor.

Sonia Sotomayor is the first Hispanic in the Supreme Court, she's the daughter of Puerto Rican immigrants who settled in the Bronx. She is 58 years old, calls the streets of her childhood, "My Beloved World," and that's the name of her new memoir. She is one of the most powerful women in America. She described herself in a simple phrase : " I am the most obstinate person you will ever meet. I have a streak of stubbornness in me that I think is what has accounted for some of my success in life. There is some personal need to persevere, to fight the fight. And if you just try and be stubborn about trying you can do what you set your mind to.

http://www.filmannex.com/movie/justice-sotoma...
ISA

London, Canada

#17 Mar 22, 2013
Gitano wrote:
<quoted text>
Kudos to you ,a brilliant comment.
The enemies of people like Sotomayor who stands up for everyone are the enemy of us all.
"Marco Rubio Takes a Swipe at Sonia Sotomayor"
Wing-nut Cuban-American criticizes first Hispanic Supreme Court justice.
The former Florida House speaker was probably the first Hispanic to take a swipe at new Supreme Court nominee Sonia Sotomayor. The Cuban-American from Miami, who's running in the Republican primary against Charlie Crist for U.S. Senate
http://www.miaminewtimes.com/2009-05-28/news/...
# I disagree with the author when he calls Marco Rubio a Cuban American, Rubio es puro mentiroso, hipocrita Miami Cubano.
The picture of Rubio is classic and truly represents his Miami Cuban voting block.
I also like Marco Rubio....also from humble beginnings. ISA
ISA

London, Canada

#18 Mar 22, 2013
Gitano wrote:
<quoted text>
"Justice Sotomayor prefers "Sonia from the Bronx" - An Afghan Perspective - 60 Minutes on CBS"
In this new Afghan Perspective video, Feresteh Forough talks about one of CBS' 60 minutes documentary she saw about Sonia Sotomayor.
Sonia Sotomayor is the first Hispanic in the Supreme Court, she's the daughter of Puerto Rican immigrants who settled in the Bronx. She is 58 years old, calls the streets of her childhood, "My Beloved World," and that's the name of her new memoir. She is one of the most powerful women in America. She described herself in a simple phrase : " I am the most obstinate person you will ever meet. I have a streak of stubbornness in me that I think is what has accounted for some of my success in life. There is some personal need to persevere, to fight the fight. And if you just try and be stubborn about trying you can do what you set your mind to.
http://www.filmannex.com/movie/justice-sotoma...
I cannot call the Hon. Sotomayor SONIA FROM THE BRONX....she is not my friend nor a relative....so I would never disrespect anyone by calling them by their first name unless they personally gave me that liberty. ISA
ISA

London, Canada

#19 Mar 22, 2013
TPMP wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you for pointing that out to me....
Jorge

San Juan, Puerto Rico

#20 Mar 22, 2013
ISA wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you for pointing that out to me....
A lady's response, as expected.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Puerto Rico Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
"JW's win another round in PR" thread removed 8 hr El Cacique 16
Mayor Elect Bill Deblasio decides that he wants... (Dec '13) Thu El Cacique 580
I love this headline....Despite recession Thu El Cacique 5
Russia's growing presence in Latin America worr... Thu El Cacique 7
Status Quo, Statehood, Or independence? Wed NJBoricua 3
Netanyahu is campaigning in the U.S Wed El Cacique 29
Puerto Rico to allow gay marriage Mar 24 LongIslander1987 3
More from around the web