created by: pollster | Sep 9, 2009

Puerto Rico

1,803 votes

Do you love or hate Puerto Ricans and why?

Click on an option to vote

• I Love them
  • I hate them
  • Not sure.

Comments (Page 58)

Showing posts 1,141 - 1,160 of1,179
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

Since: Oct 12

West Islip, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 28, 2013

Interesting observation and I am sure discrimination plays a role but I don't think it's that big of a factor.

Ive noticed that most people's political views are shaped by their parents and family. If someone's parents are statehooders then chances are they too will be a statehooder, likewise for colony err I mean "commonwealth" and independenistas.

BTW is Maria Cristina Gonzalez Noguera a powerless minority even though she is communications director for the PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES?

Will stateside Puerto Ricans still be powerless when one of their own sits in the Oval Office?

“Psalms 47:1-9”

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 28, 2013

Judged:

I cannot say about Puerto Ricans. I do not see people that way.
If I had to see them as PR or not, my only real experience with a PR person is El Cacique and his myriad of names. and that wasn't a nice experience.
I refuse to see anyone for their race or nationality or culture and prefer to take each person as their own person.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 28, 2013

Judged:

El cacique wrote:
<quoted text>Exactly!.That's the poster Gitano from the Cuban forums.
Why would you hang in the Cuban forums? I know everyone knows why I am here.
I find most here friendly.
I know I have met MS and Gitano and like them.

Funny how people find out sooner or later that you are3 full of crap.
Why is it everyone that disagrees with you must be whoever you dislike the the most at the moment?

You talk like you are in second grade. Do you point at the same time as you yell that is so and so?

You sure are paranoid!
Jorge

San Juan, Puerto Rico

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 28, 2013

LongIslander1987 wrote:
BTW is Maria Cristina Gonzalez Noguera a powerless minority even though she is communications director for the PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES?
You are starting to believe US' tokenism, when it comes to minorities.
Jorge

San Juan, Puerto Rico

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 28, 2013

Judged:

Old Lady Pam wrote:
I cannot say about Puerto Ricans. I do not see people that way.
If I had to see them as PR or not, my only real experience with a PR person is El Cacique and his myriad of names. and that wasn't a nice experience.
I refuse to see anyone for their race or nationality or culture and prefer to take each person as their own person.
Stateside Ricans ought to be considered Americans in their own states of origin, certainly NOT Puerto Ricans.

Puerto Ricans are those Americans born and raised, and still living and paying taxes, US and island, in Puerto Rico.

BTW, hope you're doing great, Pat!

Its great to read your messages here, in the PR forum.

Keep posting!

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 28, 2013

Judged:

Jorge wrote:
<quoted text>
Stateside Ricans ought to be considered Americans in their own states of origin, certainly NOT Puerto Ricans.
Puerto Ricans are those Americans born and raised, and still living and paying taxes, US and island, in Puerto Rico.
BTW, hope you're doing great, Pat!
Its great to read your messages here, in the PR forum.
Keep posting!
I most certainly will do that!
Thank you!
Interesting.
Here in Calif, for instance, Mexicans do not have to be born in Mexico to be considered Mexican.
but, they are called Mexican Americans.
I guess a person of Puerto Rican heritage could be a Puerto Rican American?
Which is weird because actually, North and South and Mexico are all Americans really.
(North America, Central America, South America)
I guess it is something we will never sort out in real life.

My favorite food is Peruvian. Just on a secondary note. I know that the ladies that own the restaurant are born here but they call themselves Peuruvians.

People seem to want very much to be identified with their heritage. and sadly, I know that many people are identified in a negative way when called out with a race card.

It would be great if we could all just accept each other and love our differences!
Jorge

San Juan, Puerto Rico

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 28, 2013

Old Lady Pam wrote:
<quoted text>I most certainly will do that!
Thank you!
Interesting.
Here in Calif, for instance, Mexicans do not have to be born in Mexico to be considered Mexican.
but, they are called Mexican Americans.
I guess a person of Puerto Rican heritage could be a Puerto Rican American?
Which is weird because actually, North and South and Mexico are all Americans really.
(North America, Central America, South America)
I guess it is something we will never sort out in real life.
My favorite food is Peruvian. Just on a secondary note. I know that the ladies that own the restaurant are born here but they call themselves Peuruvians.
People seem to want very much to be identified with their heritage. and sadly, I know that many people are identified in a negative way when called out with a race card.
It would be great if we could all just accept each other and love our differences!
I hope that in the near future, all of us, born in the US be considered Americans.
On the other hand, Peru is one of South America's top cuisine destinations, along with some Brazilian and Argentinian cities.
A friend of mine went there, to Cuzco, Lima and Machu Pichu, for New Year's and Xmas vac. and he was amazed at the top notch restaurants in Lima and the international quality of the food.
Hannah

Guaynabo, Puerto Rico

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 4, 2013

Judged:

Ignorants... ignorants everywhere. -.-
Steve

San Juan, Puerto Rico

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 7, 2013

Judged:

Puerto Ricans are the offsprings of the slowest and dumbest captured africans, the uneducated criminals from Spain and the primitive taino indians. True Puerto Ricans are unfortunately a substandard group of people. What is there to like?
Jorge

San Juan, Puerto Rico

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 7, 2013

Judged:

Steve wrote:
Puerto Ricans are the offsprings of the slowest and dumbest captured africans, the uneducated criminals from Spain and the primitive taino indians. True Puerto Ricans are unfortunately a substandard group of people. What is there to like?
yawn!!!1
Someone's bored and is looking for cheap thrills in the Internet!

Since: Oct 12

West Islip, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 8, 2013

Jorge wrote:
<quoted text>
yawn!!!1
Someone's bored and is looking for cheap thrills in the Internet!
Ignore the bigots, they are not worth it.

Since: Sep 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 26, 2013

Puerto Ricans in general, are hard working, ingenious, intelligent, educated, bi-lingual (a good number, at least), cultured, talented, artistic, happy, friendly, welcoming, helpful, dedicated, family-oriented, beautiful, proud, gregarious, gossipy, closet politicians at heart, quick to a poem or a song, loving, and in a position to offer the US and the World a unique socio-historical perspective. I could go on all day.

How many of you see yourself reflected in the paragraph above? Spread the word about who we really are and be proud of it.
white chicana

Kaysville, UT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 8, 2013

Judged:

Clara Vicente wrote:
I don't like Puerto Ricans because I'm Puerto Rican myself and have to live with them ;). Nah, I don't like Puerto Rican politics and how the USA swindled the Puerto Ricans to keep PR a colony and how the locals, don't seem to realize it, and do nothing about it, while the political parties are usufructing from this colonial situation.
I don't like Puerto Rican men because, for the most part, they are unfaithful and behave like children to their spouses. It's almost as if the parents here conspired in spoiling the male, so that he doesn't have any sense of duty or responsibility with the female. Puerto Rican men are rarely nurturers and protective, but are jealous and insecure of their partners. I think it's because they fear being made fools of, as much as they make fools of their wives and family.
I don't like Puerto Rican women because they are overprotective, demanding and fuss over trivial details, and mostly because they spoil their men to the core.
Education in PR is terrible or so bad that Puerto Ricans haven't managed to make any significant changes in their politics, since 1952. But that is in the socio-political an dhistorical sense. Othe than that, the other subjects, aren't so bad.
I hate to agree with you but, you have some valid points. I'm married to a Puerto Rican man, born on the island not new york, and he is spoiled. He was married to a PR woman who cheated on him had a baby by another dude, and yet she is viewed as a "good" person by his parents. I am not PR, and I am kind and good to my husband, yet when we visit the island, his mother and sister and a couple of aunts treat me like I'm the enemy. They are cold and force hellos. They treat him like a little kid, he is almost 35 years old for God's sake. I see the adults spoiling the kids, nieces and nephews, to the point that the kids are extremely annoying. I guess it might be cultural. My mother was so strict with me and my brother, we couldn't get away with anything, and we did not have fancy toys or brand new clothes, we had chores and school, and we respected our elders. I see an exaggerated spoiling of kids in PR, that they are beyond childlike.
white chicana

Kaysville, UT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 8, 2013

Judged:

Nubeluz wrote:
Puerto Ricans in general, are hard working, ingenious, intelligent, educated, bi-lingual (a good number, at least), cultured, talented, artistic, happy, friendly, welcoming, helpful, dedicated, family-oriented, beautiful, proud, gregarious, gossipy, closet politicians at heart, quick to a poem or a song, loving, and in a position to offer the US and the World a unique socio-historical perspective. I could go on all day.
How many of you see yourself reflected in the paragraph above? Spread the word about who we really are and be proud of it.
Myself and my Mexican family see ourselves in that paragraph. My PR husband is wonderful, but I know that he is not perfect, and neither is his culture. You have to see the good and bad side of the people within your culture.
white chicana

Kaysville, UT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 8, 2013

Judged:

Nubeluz wrote:
Most are NOT bilingual, if you go down to the island, MOST of the adults do NOT speak an educated English. sorry, but chicanos like the ones in Los Angeles are true bilinguals.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 10, 2013

white chicana wrote:
<quoted text>
Most are NOT bilingual, if you go down to the island, MOST of the adults do NOT speak an educated English. sorry, but chicanos like the ones in Los Angeles are true bilinguals.
I have to dissagree with you on this.Not all Chicanos are bilingual.

Spanish is the main language of Puerto Rico.English is a second language.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 10, 2013

Judged:

white chicana wrote:
<quoted text>
Myself and my Mexican family see ourselves in that paragraph. My PR husband is wonderful, but I know that he is not perfect, and neither is his culture. You have to see the good and bad side of the people within your culture.
I know many Puerto Ricans that are eduacted,and hardworking,as well as Chicanos.
Derek Vineyard

Agawam, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 11, 2013

Judged:

I grew up in a city where African American and Puerto Rican Americans were the majority. I have no problem with people of color : I have an extreme issue with uneducated wastes of space abusing the welfare system and blaming their problems on the white populace. The outrage the black community showed after the trayvon Martin verdict disgusted me. Educate yourself. Don't stand on the corner smoking blunts expecting justice. In high school I couldn't drive downtown without a group of three or four black youths cutting in front of my car, giving me the finger and cursing me out. And calling me the n word? They give that word power by using it as an adjective and noun instead of the racial slur it really is. Please don't peg me as a racist. If you contribute to society, if you hold a job, if you respect yourself and your home and your environment I don't care what color you are. The Puerto Rican community that I grew up and learned to resent was one that had no sense of community or civic responsibility. Illegal alien drug dealers collecting welfare checks was a common thing in my city. It disgusted me. The welfare system was put into place for people who need that extra help paying bills. not buying a pack of newports and a bottle of fucking scotch. Once again, I am not a racist. I despise the white power movement. And I volunteer as a tutor to the at risk youth of my city. But this free loading needs to stop. People need to start respecting themselves. And I'm talking to the white trash too. Educate yourselves, seek employment, put down the drugs and contribute to society.
Whitemeninvented theworld

Southbury, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 23, 2013

Judged:

I agree PR and all Spanish are welfare scum to bad thay are in the USA
Whitemeninvented theworld

Southbury, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 23, 2013

Judged:

Nothing wrong with being a racist!! It's normal to See wrong and call it out for what it is. The blacks and Spanish make it seem that's wrong so thay can continue there bad behavior and get away with it. Thay say your a racist and you run for cover. Just what thay want . So thay can spread there destruction of America. You dislike or hate Rattle Snakes because thay make your area unsafe. Is that racist against all rattle snakes ?? Or just smart??? Calling thing out for what thay are.. Just true think about it ! Why are thay 30 % of Americas population but 70% of the prison population ???? Why can't thay control then self and stop doing crime???? Explain we're I'm wrong Plz - would love to hear

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1,141 - 1,160 of1,179
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

9 Users are viewing the Puerto Rico Forum right now

Search the Puerto Rico Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
MariMercy, ISA, Michelle D, RRivera, and USMail (Dec '09) 2 hr Allan 227
Why most Nuyoricans are not Puerto ricans... (May '12) 4 hr gulf 117
Brazl should learn from Mexico... 8 hr Jorge 9
The whole world in awe, as Germany beats Brazil. 8 hr Jorge 4
World Cup 2014 9 hr Jorge 19
In my opinion, the best of the 2014 World Champ... 9 hr Jorge 4
And so, Barbaricum crossed the Rubicon. 9 hr Jorge 2
•••
•••